Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
I'd like to give a special thanks to DW for this chapter. This plot point was her idea (of course, she gave me many different ideas, but this was a nice big one), and I rather enjoyed writing it!

Next chapter is "Gifted."

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the update on the timeline smile1

I did not see James coming. That's quite a revelation. But who's the old sorcerer? I'm guessing it's not the Imp. Mainly because he seems too impish and not likely to settle and grow pumpkins.

Loisette watched wide-eyed as the stableboy took off his shirt. And then when he began to slide his pants down, she yelped, “S-stop!” She wasn’t sure whether she was protesting because she shouldn’t be seeing him half-naked--he wouldn’t have gotten *completely* naked, would he have?--or because she couldn’t go swimming with him since she *wasn’t actually a boy*, but she did know that she felt highly uncomfortable with the situation.
Yeah, I'm *sure* it's one of the above and not something else entirely.

He nearly cried out after Gawain, but he didn’t think the other boy would listen even if he did. With clumsy fingers, he put his shirt back on, staring mournfully in the direction that his friend had disappeared.
Translation of the scene:Okay... here goes. Look, Clark, I had a really nice time tonight. [...] No, I mean a _really_ nice time. Maybe the best time I ever had. It wasn't the funniest. Or the wildest. or the -- [...] But everything seemed to just... 'work'. I really liked it. That's why I can never see you again.
She wrenched her eyes away and turned her head, flushing. It was inappropriate for her to notice how well-built a commoner was. She shouldn’t be thinking about reaching out to wipe off the sweat trickling down his chest or running her hands down his arms to feel the bulge of muscles. The thought of Catherine’s obsession with sweaty boys returned to her, and she gulped to herself. She was really beginning to understand that obsession.
But at least she will have nice images to warm her during her lonely nights laugh

Mishal was utterly smitten by a knight at court named Arneld, and he was all she talked about.
The Sitkovices? clap

Something Kathy said in last part's FDK:
One can only hope that she at least got revenge on Sir Klaud and he could never sully the reputation of another maiden, ever again.
Hmm, I don't think Sir Klaud sullied the reputation of a maiden. No matter how much I enjoyed Catherine's antics, she did appear like she was to blame, too, and playing Russian Roulette in a time without birth control. huh

Michael

PS: Loving the new posting schedule commitment.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Merriwether
Merriwether
For days, she stared at the Mystical Sorcerer’s large pumpkin patch, and finally she insisted on having one of the pumpkins. No other pumpkin would do but one of the Mystical Sorcerer’s. She--she made my father steal one.
That makes Jimmy ... kind of like Rapunzel, doesn't it? Isn't that the original Rapunzel story, that her mother craved some herbs from a witch's garden and made her husband steal some, only to need to barter the newborn for her husband's life?

How nice for James that he now has someone else to talk to in Loisette. Though how sad for him that he doesn't feel he can see his parents again.

Hey, if James is still a bird at the end of the story, you could write a spin-off where Lady Penny restores him to human form with a kiss. goofy

The younger boy was standing up in his saddle on Agides and whooping.

“Sit down!” Clarkent yelled at him, laughing. “You’re going to get hurt!”
This brings up an interesting point. With Gawain approaching 17, would Clarkent really still consider him a younger boy needing to be watched over? Obviously Gawain is smaller than the average boy in the kingdom (assuming he's similar in size to Loisette), but they've known each other for years now at this point, and I would think they'd be past the "playing" stage and moving into a peer relationship.

When Clarkent had asked months ago for help in sending his parents a letter, Gawain had readily agreed. Since then, Gawain had assisted Clarkent in sending several letters to his parents.
This is a really sweet scene. I'm not sure how his parents can actually read the letters, mind wink , but it's sweet.

Clarkent smiled. “Yes.” He began tugging at his shirt, his mind already on the cool relief of the water. “It makes a great place to swim.”
LOL, of course it is. And since they are just two young guys hanging out together, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from stripping down to go swimming ...

How could Gawain possibly have a problem with this? lol

“You wouldn’t understand!” she shouted. “You have the perfect set of loving parents who would do anything for you! I have nothing! Do you know how hard it is for me to look at them and see what I can’t have?”
Yeah, he has it so great ... taken from his parents at 7, only seeing them once a year, and only after 10 years being able to send them a few coins periodically to help support them. She needs to get over herself. :rolleyes:

He nearly cried out after Gawain, but he didn’t think the other boy would listen even if he did. With clumsy fingers, he put his shirt back on, staring mournfully in the direction that his friend had disappeared.
Poor Clarkent. These two kids need to get the aired cleared soon!

Kathy

D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Michael-- Pwahaha. Loved your translation of that scene. laugh And alas, there will be no cameo of Larry!

PS: Loving the new posting schedule commitment.
Commitment? I've made a commitment? *looks around* Oh, no! wink All right, so I am trying! laugh

Kathy-- Yep, I was going to the Rapunzel thing. Her mother craved "rapunzel" from the witch's garden, and (as you noted) the husband stole it and got caught, and they had to give up the baby. Just changed it to pumpkins since that also has echoes of Cinderella.

As for the Clarkent/Gawain relationship, with Gawain's penchant for danger and recklessness, I think Clarkent feels he has to watch out for that (as he doesn't like people to get hurt). Guess it does kinda get tricky since they're friends and getting older.

LOL, of course it is. And since they are just two young guys hanging out together, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from stripping down to go swimming ...
Hahahaha. Nothing at all!! laugh

---------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback, you two!

Deja

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I'd like to give a special thanks to DW for this chapter. This plot point was her idea (of course, she gave me many different ideas, but this was a nice big one), and I rather enjoyed writing it!
Thank you! It was a rather "clever" scene, given the circumstances with one girl pretending to be a he and the other boy actually being a he. wink

laugh

Oh, should I send you daily reminders to remember to post? :p

D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
DW-- Reminders? *gulp* Erm, no? wink

D
DW Offline
Columnist