Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Sword!

Also, a hungry Robert Bigmouth. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Monsieur Edward - I know he's a horse (of course) - will he start talking too? /snicker/

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
When I first saw this, I didn't think I'd care for it.

Boy, was I wrong!

I love the way you're interweaving all the L&C characters into the narrative, with their roles being similar to their canon characters without being too close. Lex and Tempus are brothers plotting against the king and against each other? And Jimmy is a bird serving the court magician? Hilarious!

Cat as the mother-figure to the princess? Brilliant. Using Perry as the wise magician-counselor to both Loisette and Clarkent? Also brilliant. And, of course, the other supporting characters (Robert, Esroh Repus, Dwane, Jon and Marta) all flow smoothly into the tale.

All of these characters have a feeling of depth and reality about them. They're stuck in their own social strata, but they're all about to be traumatically unstuck (why else would Clarkent need to learn swordplay?) by someone who may or may not be their real enemy.

This tale draws me further in every time I read a chapter. I'm glad I'm finished with my current offering or I might be inclined to put it aside until you're done so as not to feel too inferior.

Looking for the next post!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, how delightful this chapter was! I love how Peri has become a mentor to them both, Clarkent with his sword and Loisette with her animals. And I burst out laughing at Robert's speech patterns; yup, that's our Bobby!

Is it just me, or did this chapter feel shorter than previous ones? Regardless, more, more! smile

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“This was the King’s first sword,” Peri noted quietly. Somehow, Clarkent knew he wasn’t talking about King Samuel. Gawain had told him that the symbol of the Barbarian Kingdom was the dragon, and here was more evidence of that.
eek My first first reaction was, ‘why are peasants allowed to own arms?'
And my second that I’ve seen something like this before. An old wizard who only recently disclosed his true identity to the young, orphaned hero raised by a farmers couple and then hands said orphan the sword once owned by the orphan’s father… Hmm. /slaps head/ Right!
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/2059910208_a3a1e15a3d.jpg?v=0[/img]
“This was your father’s lightsaber. An elegant weapon from a more civilized age”

The older man’s expression became serious, and he exhaled slowly. “One day, Clarkent, you will have to fight.”
help

And before I forget, if Loisette’s Clark’s sister this story could take a very politically incorrect turn. clap

/starts excessively hitting 'refresh'/

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Iolanthe-- Mwahahah. Glad you picked that up! I actually looked at that exact YouTube video around the time I wrote "Monsieur Edward," heh.

Terry-- Wow! That is high praise! Thank you so much. I have had my worries with the story starting so slow--but I wanted to set everything up properly, so I felt like I didn't have much choice. It has been so much fun placing L&C characters into the story--when I needed a stable master, I could turn to Wayne Irig; when I needed an archer, I could turn to the dart-throwing Patrick; and so on. The L&C universe has so many great characters, and it has been fun bringing them in.

Kathy-- I'm glad you liked the chapter! And Peri makes a pretty good mentor, eh? laugh And it's certainly possible the chapter was shorter--my chapter lengths kinda vary.

Michael-- Pwahaha. Me, influenced by Star Wars? Now, where would you get an idea like that? :p

But, but, but, you won’t have Marta and Jon slaughtered and their farm burned to the ground by the evil Kings’ storm troopers, will you?
Heh heh. Why does everyone keep thinking I'm going to kill off Jon and Marta? laugh

Mice have been known to live up to six years of age , so please forgive me if I'm stretching things a bit. And there's so much magic around, I wouldn't be surprised if someone had helped him out a wee bit. laugh A princess needs her mousey friend....

-------------------------

Thanks everyone for the responses!
Deja

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Why does everyone keep thinking I'm going to kill off Jon and Marta?
Well, if it looks like a rat and scurries like a rat and squeaks like rat huh But then, I'm just going from what I've seen on the silverscreen huh

And there's so much magic around, I wouldn't be surprised if someone had helped him out a wee bit.
cool

Now, where would you get an idea like that?
Wait, really? I was just goofing off there blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Well, if it looks like a rat and scurries like a rat and squeaks like rat huh But then, I'm just going from what I've seen on the silverscreen huh
Heh. Maybe Robert Bigmouth is scurrying around and misdirecting everyone? laugh Or maybe not. Guess only time will tell...

Wait, really? I was just goofing off there blush
So was I......Or was I? laugh In truth, I don't think I ever intentionally pulled from Star Wars in this story.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard