PREVIOUSLY IN THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE...

“Hey, princess. Is that you?” her dad called from the living room.

“It’s me,” Lois confirmed, removing her coat and boots before taking a deep breath. This was it. No point in dawdling... She hesitated a moment, wondering where she’d ever picked up that word... before putting one foot in front of the other as she made her way to where she knew her parents were waiting for her.

AND NOW...

Sam and Ellen Lane stared at their daughter in stunned silence.

“How long?” her father asked when he finally regained the power of speech.

“Almost three months,” Lois responded.

“And we’re just hearing about this now?” Ellen asked.

“I just found out myself.”

Sam’s eyes narrowed. “Three months? Isn’t that about the time someone slipped GHB into your drink?”

“That has nothing to do with this,” Lois said quickly. “I know it’s around the same time, but I wasn’t raped that night. Dr. Maria confirmed that.”

“Then who’s the father?” Sam demanded. “And why isn’t he here with you to take responsibility?”

“I didn’t even know you were serious about someone,” Ellen added.

Lois swallowed hard. She knew the story she was about to tell. After all, it was the same story she intended to tell everyone. But these were her parents. If anyone was going to see through the lie, it would be them. Still, fighting her nerves, she launched into her tale. “He was a guy I met around that time. He was just visiting some friends at the University. One thing led to another and... It was only once, but I guess you know what they say, once is all it takes.” She tried to keep her tone light, hoping they would follow her lead. They didn’t.

“This is no joking matter, young lady,” Ellen said.

“I’m not joking,” Lois objected. “Once is sometimes all it takes. Or was something left out of the sex education you gave me?”

“Don’t sass your mother,” Sam said.

Lois closed her eyes. “Sorry... It’s just...”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“So what you’re telling us is that you had unprotected sex with some guy you barely knew?” When Lois shrugged, Sam continued. “Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?” He reached for the phone. “I”m going to have Maria Chives run some tests on you for STDs.”

“She already has, Daddy,” Lois said.

“Well, we still need to call her to schedule the abortion,” Sam said, picking up the phone.

“I’m not having an abortion,” Lois said, her heart pounding in her ears. She’d heard her parents talk often enough about this issue to know their views. So she had known that their assumption would be that she would have an abortion. And it wasn’t that she had any particular difficulties with that course of action. But in this case... No. For reasons she’d been struggling to articulate for the past few days, and still couldn’t, she wouldn’t abort this baby.

“Lois, you must realize how difficult it will be to carry this baby to term and then give it up for adoption,” her mother said. “Having an abortion is the only practical choice.”

“I’m not having an abortion...”

“But...”

“And I’m not giving this baby up for adoption.” She waited then for the explosion she knew was coming, the objections about her ability to raise a child, the impracticalities, how her education would suffer, everything that they would be certain she hadn’t taken into consideration.

Her parents did not disappoint. Together, they began, talking over each other in their disbelief and shock that she would even consider keeping the baby.

“This is ridiculous,” her father finally said, picking up the phone. “I’m going to call Maria right now and schedule that abortion.”

“You can call,” Lois said. “But I’m not having an abortion.”

“Well, you can’t keep the baby,” Ellen said. “It’s due when... August? What happens to your summer internship at the Daily Planet? Will they even want you when they find out that you aren’t necessarily going to be available for the whole summer?”

“And what about Ireland?” her father added. “Do you really think they will still take you into the exchange program if you have a baby to take care of?”

“Because,” her mother said, “we won’t be volunteering to take care of it for you while you’re off living it up in Ireland.”

Tears formed in Lois’ eyes. “I’m not sure what is going to happen with the internship,” Lois said. “I’ll set up an appointment with Mr. White to tell him about this - see if he will consider letting me do it for however long I can. But even if he says no...” She pulled in a shaky breath. “As for Ireland... I mailed a letter to administration on my way to see you telling them I wouldn’t be able to participate in the exchange program to Ireland.”

“What?” her parents gasped simultaneously.

“You sent a letter to administration before even talking to us?” Ellen asked.

“Well, I knew...”

“You had no right to do that before talking to us,” Sam cut in.

“I knew, just like you pointed out, that I’d never be able to go to Ireland if I kept the baby.”

“The question of your keeping the baby is far from settled, young lady,” Sam said.

“I’m twenty years of age. I’m old enough to make this decision for myself.”

“You’re twenty. But you’re still living on our dime,” her father pointed out. “And as long as that’s the case, we expect to have a say in your decisions.”

“I’m going to university on a full scholarship,” Lois argued.

“And we’re paying the upgrade on your housing,” Sam said. “Not to mention extra spending money, clothes, and all those other unexpected expenses.”

“And if that stops, how do you think you’ll be able to afford to go to university?” Ellen said. “Who is going to pay for the baby? What about child care while you’re in class? Will they allow you to go on living in the dorms with a baby? I doubt your fellow students are going to take too kindly to listening to a baby scream at two o’clock in the morning on the night before an exam.”

“So what are you saying?” Lois asked.

“If you do this, if you decide to keep the baby, you’re on your own,” Ellen said.

Lois turned fearful eyes on her father. She hadn’t considered this. “Daddy?” she asked.

“I’m with your mother.” Then his tone softened. “Princess, there is no reason for you to be saddled with a child now. We’ll be happy to pay for an abortion. There will be plenty of time to have children when you’re older.”

Lois looked at the resolute faces of her parents. “If that’s your final word,” Lois said, rising to her feet and tilting her chin up, “I guess there’s nothing more to say.”

“I’ll schedule the abortion,” Sam said, again reaching for the phone.

“I told you. I’m not having an abortion,” Lois said, as she marched towards the door, leaving a stunned Sam and Ellen Lane staring after her.

Lois nervously waited in a chair in Perry White’s office. She wasn’t sure how to persuade him that, even pregnant, it was worth it to the Daily Planet to invest its time and money in her.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, Lois,” Perry said, entering the office. “It’s just been one of those days.”

Lois was instantly on her feet. “No problem,” she said.

Perry gestured her back into her chair. He closed his office door and was walking to his desk when a quick knock proceeded the door being opened again.

“What’s this?” Perry growled when Ralph came in and handed him a document.

“From legal,” Ralph said before scooting back out the door.

Perry took a quick look at the document. “Great shades of Elvis!” he said. “Sorry, Lois. This should just take a minute.”

And then he was gone again.

Great. Just what she needed. Trying to convince him to keep her on when he was already completely stressed out. And she desperately needed this job. After all, she was going to need every penny she could save if she planned to go to school next year.

Speaking of which, when this meeting was over, she was going to need to do some serious number crunching.

“Sorry about that,” Perry said, from the doorway. “Now... What can I do for you?” As he spoke, he sat down behind his desk.

“It’s about my internship this summer. Something has come up and... Well, I just thought you should know about it. I mean, I hope it doesn’t affect you wanting to give me the internship. After all, I desperately need to work this summer. Oh, that’s not to say that’s the only reason I want the internship. I know it probably seemed like it was. But it isn’t. It’s always been my dream to work for the Daily Planet and I can’t thank you enough for offering me this internship. I know it must seem...”

“Now, hold on,” Perry said interrupting her. “Why don’t you tell me what you think might jeopardize your chances at this internship you want so much and we’ll take it from there?”

“Oh, right. I sort of skipped that part, didn’t I. Well, it’s nothing really. Hardly worth mentioning. No big deal. I just...”

“Lois.”

She blushed, realizing that she was babbling again. Problem was, she just wasn’t sure how to say... “I’m pregnant.” Had she really just blurted it out like that? “And I’m just worried that... Well, I know you didn’t sign on for that. So I’d understand if you decided that...”

“Let me get this straight. You came in here to tell me you’re pregnant and to find out if I still wanted to offer you the internship as a result?”

Lois nodded, nervously fiddling with her hands.

Perry gave his head a sad shake, causing Lois’ heart to drop.

“Lois, I’m disappointed in you,” he finally said.

She cringed. For some reason, it mattered that she had this man’s respect.

“You want to be a reporter, right?” Perry said.

Lois nodded, fighting off the tears she knew were coming.

“Then you need to learn something right now.”

He paused and she braced herself for the bad news.

“Never... ever walk into an interview,” Perry began, “without doing your research.”

“What?” Lois asked, suddenly not sure what was going on.

Perry rose to his feet and withdrew a thin paperback book from his bookshelf. He flipped through it until he found what he was looking for. “Title VII of the Civil Rights Act was amended in 1978 to prohibit discrimination on the basis of pregnancy. That means, I can’t refuse to hire you or fire you based on the fact that you’re pregnant.”

“What?” Lois jumped to her feet, leaning across his desk to look at the book. He handed it to her and she began reading furiously.

“Research, Lois. Research is the life’s blood of journalism.”

Lois let out a breath of relief.

“Now... sit down. We need to talk logistics.”

“Logistics?” Lois said, sinking back into her chair.

“When are you due?”

“Mid to late August. I don’t have an exact date yet.”

“Okay, well we’ll play it by ear then. As you get closer to your due date...”

He hesitated briefly and she suspected that he was doing some backwards math from August. The considering gaze he gave her when he’d completed the basic math had her fighting the urge to squirm. Well, he might have his suspicions about the identity... or at least the likely identity of the father, but if she didn’t confirm it, he couldn’t know for certain. But since he was one of the people who knew that a date rape drug had been used on her... She set her chin, silently daring him to ask the question.

“Anyway,” Perry continued after a moment, “when you get closer to your due date, we’ll probably need to make some concessions to your condition. Now, get out of here and I’ll see you in May. Unless you have any more questions.”

Lois shook her head, grateful that he hadn’t forced her to lie to him.

“And when you do show up at the beginning of May, I expect you to bring in a piece for the Sunday supplement about the Civil Rights Act. I suspect it’s time to give our reader a brief review of their rights. And it should drive in the point for you that a reporter never goes into an interview without having done her research. Kapish?” He pointed his finger at her to drive in his point.

Lois smiled. “Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now get out of here. I’ve got work to do.”

“Yes, sir.”

She turned towards the door.

“Oh, and, Lois...”

She looked back at him.

“Congratulations.”

Lois unexpectedly found herself fighting off those tears. He was the first person to congratulate her and it felt unexpectedly... nice.

April 1987

Lois sat at the desk in her room, studying the numbers in front of her. Part of her had hoped that her parents would relent when it became obvious that her mind was made up. Seemed that was not the case. The only time they called to talk to her now was to find out if she’d come to her senses yet.

Grandma Lane had left Lois a thousand dollars when she died when Lois was seven. According to her updated bank book there was now two thousand one hundred fifty-eight dollars and ninety-three cents in that account. Then there was the pitiful amount she’d managed to save herself from various summer jobs. She’d even finally cashed the cheque she’d received from the Daily Planet for her first story, putting it in the bank along with the money they’d paid her for her follow-up stories. Still, all together, she didn’t see how her savings could possibly cover next year’s expenses.

Her tuition and books would be paid for by her scholarship. However, she’d checked into dorm policy, and there was no way she could stay in the dorm with a baby. Not only would she not have her own room, due to her parents withdrawing their support, but even if she had, there were no babies allowed in the dorm.

She’d inquired whether the dorm allowance could be given to her to find a new place to live, but apparently it couldn’t. She could still get food vouchers to eat in the cafeteria and even take that food home with her to eat every night. So that solved her food issue for her, but she had no idea how long the baby would be satisfied breast feeding.

So that left rent, utilities, baby supplies, transportation costs and.... What was she missing?

Child care! Oh, god. How was she ever going to afford both rent and child care for when she was in school? And then there was the crib and... whatever else a baby needed. Maybe she could find some part time work. But then, at minimum wage, how much would she have left after paying for someone to watch her baby while she was at work?

She’d looked into scholarships and bursaries that might be available to single mothers. There were none. Child care at the university. Nope. Not for a newborn. It seemed that universities were simply not equipped for new single mothers. That was definitely a cause she intended to see changed in the future. Not that it helped her right now, of course.

Maybe it was time to consider dropping out of school... At least until the baby was older. After all, she’d been crunching these numbers for two months - every time with the same results.

A knock on the door pulled her out of her threatening depression. Rising to her feet, she walked to the door and opened it.

“Hey, Mol,” Lois said when she saw who was standing on the other side.

“I need you to come with me,” Molly said.

“I really can’t right now,” Lois said. “I’m trying to...”

“Right now,” Molly said, reaching into the closet to grab Lois’ jacket. “Come on. Put on your shoes. We have to go.”

“At least let me get changed,” Lois said, looking down at the University of Kansas t-shirt she was wearing with her jeans. She had no idea where she would have picked up a faded University of Kansas t-shirt, but for some reason, she always found herself putting it on when she was stressed or worried.

It seemed to calm her.

“Okay, you can change,” Molly conceded. “Just make it fast. We really have to go.”

Molly had refused to say anything since they had left her room. It was only a few minutes later before Lois realized their destination - the sorority house.

“What are we doing here?” Lois asked.

Molly only smiled.

Lois rolled her eyes. “I really have some planning to do,” Lois said, tempted to turn around and go back to her room.

“Oh, hush,” Molly said, grabbing Lois’ arm and practically dragging her up the steps to the house.

When she stepped inside, she saw the house crowded with women.

“Surprise!” they all yelled in unity.

“What... What is this?”

“Well, we figured a baby shower was in order. And so we decided that now was the time - before everyone got caught up in exams or took off for the summer,” Tracy responded.

Lois glanced at Molly and every one of her sorority sisters and friends who had gathered and found herself fighting off tears. She... really hadn’t expected this. People knew about her pregnancy. It was impossible to be making the inquiries she had over the past month or so without people finding out. But this was a response she hadn’t been expecting.

“Now, don’t worry,” Molly said. “We know how much you hate all those stupid shower type games so...”

“We found as many of them as we possibly could and we’re going to force you to play every single one,” Cat said.

Laughter followed as Lois was dragged the rest of the way into the house and pushed into a chair.

“Oh, great,” Lois moaned playfully, getting into the spirit of things. “Torture the pregnant woman.”

“Absolutely,” Molly responded.

Lois was beginning to understand the purpose of a baby shower as she opened another present - help out the overwhelmed pregnant woman by buying her all sort of stuff to get her started. The gift finally open, she stared in awe at the cute little denim overalls and leather jacket Linda had given her. They reminded her of her baby’s daddy.

What? No. She’d never seen Stafford wear a leather jacket. Besides, this baby didn’t have a daddy. None whatsoever. She quickly pushed the thought of some sort of connection between a leather jacket and the baby’s father from her mind. Strange the tricks the mind could play sometimes.

She’d been surprised to see Linda there since the two of them hadn’t exchanged more than a few words since last November. Lois had heard, however, that Linda and Paul had broken up some time ago. Predictable, really, given Paul’s loss of status at the paper.

But something had changed in Linda. It was as if the entire incident had broken her spirit by embroiling her in the controversy surrounding Paul and Bob. Gone was the cocky, confident and often sarcastic young woman who had once been Lois’ friend. In her place was someone who appeared to be scared of her own shadow, expecting attacks around every corner. Lois supposed it was understandable since Linda had become something of a social leaper in the past few months as people wondered how much she had known about Stafford’s actions. She’d even heard rumors that Linda was thinking of going to a different university next year.

Lois almost felt sorry for her. Not quite enough to want to be her friend again. After all, she simply didn’t trust Linda enough anymore to want to give her another chance to hurt her. Still, she was touched by Linda’s gift.

“It’s adorable,” Lois said, looking up at Linda in surprise.

Linda shrugged uncomfortably. “I know you don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl, but I figured... what the heck,” Linda said. “Just put a pink bow in her hair and everyone will figure it out. But when I saw it... I just couldn’t resist.”

“Well, I love it,” Lois said. “Thank you.”

Lois looked around at the stack of clothing, and the car seat Molly had given her. When Lois had objected that the car seat was too much, Molly had brushed her off, commenting that if Lois was going to keep borrowing her car, she was going to need the car seat.

“We have one final thing for you,” Molly said, before looking over at the President of Alpha Nu Rho, Tracy.

“Yes,” Tracy said, standing up to take center stage. “We had a meeting... And given what you’ve done for all of us by putting that scum bag, Bob Stafford, behind bars where he couldn’t hurt another woman ever again...”

“Hear! Hear!” Cat said.

Lois grinned at Cat. There was another surprise - that she and Cat had become friends over the last few months - even if that outfit she’d given Lois for the baby was a little... over the top.

“We took a vote and it was unanimous,” Tracy continued. “We decided to give you this.” With that, she stepped over to Lois and handed her a small box with a big bow on top.

Turning her attention to the item, Lois pulled the bow away and opened the box.

“Oh... Well, I don’t quite know what to say,” she said, pulling out a key. “I wasn’t expecting one of these. I’ll give it a cherished place on my key ring though.”

Molly batted her arm.

“It’s a key to one of the rooms here, silly,” Molly said.

Lois’ expression went blank. “What?” she asked.

“We’d like you to live at the Alpha Nu Rho house, with the baby,” Tracy said. “You can move in whenever you’d like. Since the rent and expenses on this place are paid for by the alumni, it doesn’t cost anything. And we all figure we can help out with taking care of the baby next year while you’re in class. We even have the room fixed up so...”

Lois burst into tears.

After the party finally broke up, Lois sat on the edge of the bed in the room that was to become her new home, looking around in awe. It was one of the bigger rooms. One that had been occupied by a girl who had graduated in January. Like all the rooms at the sorority house, it had a desk and bed and its own bathroom. But that wasn’t all this particular room held.

This room also had a number of second hand items in it that the girls had bummed from relatives and friends. A crib. A change table. A Disney mobile hanging above the crib. Boxes filled with baby blankets, second hand clothing and sundry other items, many of which Lois didn’t even recognize but had been told she would absolutely need.

“Hey, you okay?” Molly asked from the doorway.

“It’s just so...” Lost for words, Lois gestured absently around her. “This was your idea, wasn’t it?”

Molly came into the room, closing the door behind her. “No,” she said, taking a seat next to Lois. “I’m ashamed to say it never even occurred to me. Not sure why, though, given the number of times I’ve had to listen to you gripe about the university’s policy on babies in the dorms and lack of resources available for single mothers to go to university.” She playfully bumped her shoulder against Lois’. “Maybe it’s just that you’re not the typical sorority sister,” she added. “No, this was their idea. And once they got started...” She gestured around her. “...there was no stopping them.”

“Well, I’m grateful. You have no idea.”

“I think I do,” Molly responded with a grin. “And, hey, it should also help with saving money this summer since you can live here while you work at the Daily Planet.”

“That’s true. Oh, Mol... it’s just... such a relief to finally have a workable plan. I was starting to think that... I wasn’t going to be able to do this. That I’d have to drop out so that I could support this baby.” She hesitated for a moment. “Do you think they know?”

“Know what?”

“The baby’s father...” Lois didn’t say anything more.

Molly shook her head. “Other than Cat, they don’t even know that you were one of Stafford’s victims. So... no. I don’t think they know. But...”

“What?”

“Well, it’s odd... but I think one or two of them think they know who the father is.”

“Are they saying it’s Stafford?”

“No. In fact, one of them asked me if it was that guy who was hanging around here for a week or so last November.”

Lois’ eyebrows rose. “Do you know who they are talking about?”

Molly shook her head. “But I just sort of... let them believe that. Figured it would keep them off your back. And since they couldn’t remember the guy’s name, it’s not as if he’s going to show up and demand to know why you’re saying he’s the father.”

“Thanks, Molly, but please... Please promise me that you will never say anything.” Lois placed a protective hand over the small bump that was beginning to show in her stomach. “I don’t want the stigma hanging over this baby. As far as the world is concerned, this is my baby - and only my baby.”

Molly bit her lower lip. “I will do whatever you want on this issue, but... Well, have you ever considered doing some investigating on your own to find out...”

“I can’t, Mol,” Lois said, cutting Molly off. “If I even start looking into it, people are going to find out this baby was the result of... I won’t do that to my baby. So... promise me you’ll never tell.”

“Lois, don’t worry. No one will ever hear it from me.”

Lois relaxed, marveling over how protective she’d felt about this baby, and that issue, since she’d first learned she was pregnant. Maybe there was something to the idea of a protective maternal instinct, after all.

“What about you? Hasn’t anyone ever asked you who the father is?” Molly asked.

“Sometimes. But I just say it’s no one they know or change the subject or that we don’t have contact. They don’t ask a second time.”

August 1988

Lois carried the research she had assembled over to Serena Judd’s desk and waited to be noticed. Rumor around the Daily Planet was that Serena and Billy Norcross were about an inch away from a Pulitzer.

Lois knew she often acted like a ninny around Serena and she hated it. But this was the Serena Judd! Only the most famous female print journalist in the world at the moment. The same Serena Judd who was being considered for a Pulitzer. The fact that lately Serena specifically asked for Lois when she needed research done was a real honor. An honor Lois had worked hard all summer to live up to.

“Bastard,” Serena muttered to herself, pulling Lois out of her thoughts. “Lying, scum-sucking bastard.”

“Excuse me?” Lois asked.

Serena looked up, startled. “Oh, I’m sorry, Lois. I was just...” She made a dismissive gesture with her hand. “Did you want something?”

“I have that research you were looking for,” Lois said, setting the documents she’d assembled on the corner of Serena’s desk.

“Oh, thanks.”

Lois nodded and began to turn away when she stopped. “Are you okay?” she asked.

“What? Oh fine.”

Realizing she was being dismissed, Lois nodded and began to turn away again.

“It’s just...” Serena said, causing Lois to stop once again. “Men!”

Lois grinned.

“What is it about them? They say they love you and then... Aaag!” She took a deep breath. “Maybe I should just move to Alaska and teach yoga to oil workers or something.”

Lois giggled. “You don’t want to do that. Not with your gift as a reporter.”

“I don’t know. I think maybe I do.”

“You can’t...” Lois suddenly looked down in horror. “Uhh...”

Serena’s eyes followed hers. “I think your water just broke,” Serena said.

Lois’ eyes widened further. Not only had she completely humiliated herself in front of her hero, but... Oh, god. No. She wasn’t ready for this. What had made her think she even wanted to do this? Could she change her mind?

“What’s going on out here?”

Oh no. Perry. How was it he always seemed to magically appear whenever something was happening in his newsroom?

“Lois’ water broke,” Serena said.

“Well, what are we standing around here for?” Perry demanded. “Ralph! Grab the keys from my office and bring my car around to the front door.”

Ralph moved quicker than Lois thought she had ever seen. She was fairly certain it had more to do with getting the hell away from her than helping her out.

“Now, honey,” Perry said, addressing Lois, “can you walk?”

“Uhh... yeah,” Lois said. She couldn’t be in labor. Okay, so maybe her back had been a little bit sore all day, but... “Aagh!” she gasped when her first contraction hit.

“Okay, Lois. Just breath.” He demonstrated and Lois attempted to match his breathing. “Now... what’s your doctor’s name?”

“Dr. Maria Chives,” Lois said through the pain.

“Serena... find Lois’ doctor. Tell her we’re on the way to the hospital.”

Serena quickly grabbed the phone book.

“And call Lois’ folks,” Perry added.

“And Molly Flynn... The numbers are all in my rolodex,” Lois gasped.

“Thanks,” Serena said, bolting towards where the interns’ desks were located.

“Now, Lois,” Perry said. “Just hang onto me.”

She knew that her fear was clear on her face.

“Hey, don’t worry. I’m an old pro at this,” Perry said. “Two kids and six kittens.”

“Kittens... great,” Lois said as the pain finally faded.

Perry laughed as he began leading her towards the elevator.

“Do you want to meet your son?” Molly asked. As Lois’ child birth coach, the nurse had handed the squirming infant to the other woman.

Molly didn’t wait for Lois to answer, instead, a tender smile on her face, she came over and placed the newborn into his exhausted mother’s arms.

“So have you decided on a name?” the nurse asked as she worked around, cleaning up.

Lois stared down in wonder at the bright eyes looking back at her and decided in that moment that only one name seemed to fit. “Charlie,” she said.

“Charlie?” Molly asked, slightly surprised as she reached out to let Charlie wrap a fist around her finger. “Where did that come from?”

Lois shrugged. She and Molly had discussed names on several occasions and she could understand Molly’s confusion. Never had the name ‘Charlie’ come up before now. “It just seems to fit,” she said.

Molly tilted her head as she studied the baby. “Yeah, I guess I can see that. Well, Charlie... how exactly do you feel about being the first male member of Alpha Nu Rho?”

Lois smiled tiredly as she looked into the face of her very confused looking son, marveling that something that had caused so much pain could be so unequivocally beautiful.

TO BE CONTINUED...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane