Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7407 10/28/03 07:57 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
originally, i posted this over in nfic, but was kindly encouraged to post it here. i'd been thinking, as i wrote, that it had more of an nfic mood to it, but, as has been pointed out, content-wise, it's rather tame.

as i said there, this is just a small scene that all but wrote itself. once written, of course, it had to be posted.

all thoughts, comments. suggestions, constructive criticism, etc are, as always, quite welcome. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#7408 10/28/03 07:59 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very poignant. Packs a nice emotional punch. clap

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#7409 10/28/03 10:36 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
WOW! A glimpse into Clark's college years and the girls he dated back then. This was great, Paul. Won't you consider writing more about this stage in Clark's life? smile

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#7410 10/29/03 05:16 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very interesting, Paul. You had me scared at first that it was going to be a post-Lois deathfic sort of story, but I'm glad I kept reading. I really liked how he looked as far away as he could and his vision stopped on who we can only assume to be Lois, even though he has no idea whether being drawn to her was real or his imagination. Nicely poignant.

Kathy

#7411 10/29/03 05:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I remember reading this story and comment, but I didn't find mine. Did I dreamed? confused

Great piece. thumbsup

MAF thumbsup
PS
I remember Nfic.

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#7412 10/29/03 12:12 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
From experience, I know that if no name is mentioned in the first 4 paragraphs or so, it will not turn out to be the person we expect it to be. Still, that 'Stacey' came like a ton of bricks on my head. But nicely hinting on Lois's whereabouts and on the future, and really, really, emotionally revealing.

thumbsup
Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#7413 10/30/03 02:24 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Your warning had me expecting a Tank ending of sorts, but the twist was quite a surprise. smile

I liked this little painful glimpse at some of Clark's struggles during what I assume was his college years. Kudos for not making the woman in question Lana! I think we can safely assume he met at least one *other* woman besides Lana before meeting Lois. wink

Very poignant, as others have said. Thanks for sharing.

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#7414 10/30/03 06:38 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul,

I had the same feelings as Kathy, but it was so beautifully written that it kept my attention and I'm glad I stayed with it.

A nice look at Clark's values and his hopes.

Loved it.

Barb.

#7415 10/30/03 10:45 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nice little story.

You show us a Clark who is trying to 'fit in' but just can't get past his 'differences' which make him feel his loneliness even more than would someone else at that early age.

Usually college age kids are too busy to realize that they're lonely even if they don't have much of a social life.

Cute touch at the end with his 'vision gizmo' seeming to seek out and find that special someone even if he doesn't know that it is she.

Tank (who thinks Paul needs to turn his twisted mental energies toward an evil little Halloween vignette)

#7416 11/01/03 05:27 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
thanks for your comments, everyone. smile

rivka, i'm glad the story worked for you. thanks for letting me know.

ursie, thank you, but i'm sorry to say i don't have any plans for more stories in this time period. you never know, i guess, but it doesn't seem likely.

kathy, thanks for sticking with the story. i'm glad you did. as for him looking out, that was a last-minute addition. i just couldn't leave things without a glimpse of hope. i'm glad you liked it. i was afraid it would be a little too corny.

maria, sorry for the confusion. glad you figured it out. smile and thanks for writing again.

julie, yeah, i figured the lack of names would tip off at least some readers, but i didn't see any other way. it's good to know it was still effective.

hazel, yes, it's college years. i didn't want to make that clear early, for obvious reasons, but i did hope that later clues (like the use of the word "campus") would be enough.

as for lana, i'm happy to say she never even crossed my mind. thinking about it, she just doesn't seem right. i think this one needed a purer backstory, untainted by folc's innate dislike of her.

barb, yes, that's exactly what i was going for. thanks. smile

tank, i hadn't really been thinking of clark's powers, per se, but you're right, they do isolate him more.

i'm glad to hear, though, that the vision trick worked for you, too. like i said, i was a bit worried about it, but if it worked for you as well as kathy, that makes me feel a lot better about it.

also, thanks for suggesting i do a halloween fic. i hadn't even considered it until you mentioned.

man, it feels good to be able to write again! jump

thanks again, everyone, for your comments. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard