Next Thread
Print Thread
#74008 09/22/10 09:53 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Preview of 53

"Lois!"

She was still ten metres from his door when Clark emerged and sprinted towards her.

"What happened?" he said as he reached her, anxiety clouding his expression. "Where were you?"

Lois met him with a quick kiss and then took his hand and led him into his apartment. "It's OK," she said. "I'm fine. I was just doing some research."

"Research?"

Lois reached across him and closed the door. She put her hand on his chest and smiled at him. "Yes," she said calmly. "I was doing some research for your story about Nigel St John and the Boss."

Clark, however, was not calm - and he was becoming less so with every passing second. "Lois," he said with undisguised displeasure. "I can't believe you would take a risk like that."
FDK goes here.

Thanks smile

Corrina.

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Excellent installment, but how come I get the feeling that Mayson will directly or indirectly run into (or at least see) Lois in the library?

Excellent deductive skills for Lois regarding Nigel St John and the Boss and very in character for her!

I am really looking forward to see where you are going with this story!

laugh

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"It made sense," Lois replied. "The Star would have done everything to ensure that no photos left the building other than those taken by their official photographer."

"So you didn't *know*? You guessed?"
Clark should never play poker with Lois. Unless it's strip poker and he's prepared to lo- erm wi- uh. Does he win or lose if Lois is the better player? confused

He opened the secret compartment in his closet and bodily lifted her into it.
shock I never expected Lois to go so quietly that she didn't even make a sound. And I expected her to burst out at some moment during Mayson's invat- erm visit.

Lois hooked her bag on her shoulder and quietly slipped out of Clark's apartment.
Looks like Lois is already picking up on her Metropolis traits.

Once inside, she scanned the assortment of library patrons but couldn't locate the shiny bald head that would signify Albert's presence.
Oh dear. Oh dear. But from the teaser it doesn't look like they ran into each other. Unless Mayson managed to see Lois but remain unseen herself. Which sounds more likely, plotwise.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great part leaving us on the edge of our seats for the next one! eek

I'm wondering if Lois will spot Mayson and maybe overhear her conversation with Albert. ? And after all Lois would be able to spot Mayson easily, but Mayson should have great difficulty identifying Lois because as I recall the only pic of Lois Mayson could get was grainy anyway, and of course Lois is wearing the cap etc.

Can't wait for 53! hyper

EvelynC
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I feel like I should know Albert from somewhere!

Blogger
Blogger
Loving the story, Corrina! As a Melbourne resident with no real commitment to footy, I found your descriptions of the pain of Fitzroy supporters, & Bella's memories, as well as the dynamic of the potential split between the pro & anti-merger factions at Hawthorn was enlightening, & in fact had me in tears!

Now, Collingwood or St Kilda? Will the Grand Final delay your posting schedule?

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just diving in here quickly. I'll be back later with proper replies.

Hi Sunrise in Oz.

Now, Collingwood or St Kilda? Will the Grand Final delay your posting schedule?
My head says Collingwood, but the Colliwobbles are such fun that I'm hoping St Kilda can bring home their second flag. I really feel for the older supporters who have followed a club for a lifetime without any real success. Saints by 1 point a la 66 would be fantastic.

No - it won't delay the posting schedule. I'll probably write and have the GF on in the background.

As you're a Melbournian, I have a question. Did you notice the *huge* mistake I made way back in Part 1? I didn't realise it until long after I'd posted it. I was going to 'fess up at the end of the fic.

There's another, less obvious, mistake about part 46, too!

Thanks for your FDK.

Corrina.

Blogger
Blogger
Corrina, 3 queries in my mind about Part 1, & 2 are hardly massive: 1. It's a very long way round to go over the Westgate to get from Tulla to the city, even if Citylink wasn't open in '96.
2. Didn't West Coast win the Flag in '92 & '94? Unless your knowledge of footy history, which is way beyond mine, tells you they'd been choking badly in '95 & early '96, & developed a pattern of only winning at Subi. 3rd, & it is a bit bigger, in fact in terms of your setting it could be described as massive: it was my first thought when you mentioned that Clark's exchange was to the HERALD SUN! But my husband assures me that for in depth detailed Sports Journalism, HS has the edge, despite it's lowest common denominator approach to general news.

And all I can think of for part 46 is, it's not possible to get from any significant point A to point B in Sydney in 1/2 hr without a helicopter! No idea where the SCG is in relation to the Opera House, (fortunately I've never lived in Sydney) but my guess is a 1/2hr wouldn't get you out of the Sydney Cricket Ground with those crowds, & hubby who has lived in Sydney, also agrees.

So you can't leave it there, did I come close?

Dawn

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Good guesses.

Almost spot on with the first one. I had Lois driving Clark from Tullamarine and into the city via the Westgate Bridge. I justified the extra distance because the views over the Westgate are spectacular and (assuming no time restraints) that's how I'd take a visitor into the city. However, the Western Ring Road was opened in 1999, three years after my fic, so somehow they jumped from the Tulla Freeway to the Westgate Freeway! blush blush

2. West Coast did win the flag in '92 and '94. In '95, they lost 9 games, including a final against Essendon at Waverley. Lois wrote the story heading into the '96 season, so that final could have been foremost in her mind. Her statement about winning away from Subi was probably close enough.

3. The paper was a toss up and I deliberately didn't do any extra research - ie finding out who was the sports editor of the HS in 1996, because I didn't want that to colour my writing of Browny.

4. The SCG is about 10kms from the Opera House. Half an hour was probably pushing it - but in Melbourne getting out via public transport is a lot quicker than getting out by car.

However, my knowledge here is lacking on two fronts. I've never been to the SCG - when I went to a Sydney game, it was at ANZ Stadium - and because of Cheer Squad responsibilites, I haven't tried to make a quick getaway from a game for quite a few years.

The less obvious mistake was from 45 - the scene where Browny told Lois that he was sending her and Chris to do the Friday night final. For believability, I needed Lois to be doing one game on the weekend. Saturday was the Hawthorn game; Sunday, I wanted her to have some time for the honeymoon - so that only left Friday night. I thought I'd checked the detail and posted the part ... and then realised that the Friday night game that weekend was in Brisbane!! blush blush

Thanks for your ideas, Dawn. If anything else occurs to you, please let me know!

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great part! The scene at the cafe was really fun. Lois not being able to remain quiet with Mayson was even better than the interaction during the interview, back in part 32.

"What a pity you had to leave early."

Mayson's facade of pleasantry dropped away. "I'm a reporter," she said tartly. "A good reporter never misses the opportunity for a story."

"I would have thought that a good reporter would need the ability to accurately predict the outcome of her actions," Lois noted.

"Those photos were worth more to me than attending a wedding of very little consequence."

"If they are worth so much to you, why didn't you publish them?"
Long quote, I know. But I couldn't leave anything out. Mayson tries to outsmart Lois but keeps hitting a brick wall.

"We decided to bide our time and determine the most effective way to use the photos."

Lois decided to go for the jugular. "That's going to be quite an achievement," she said. "Considering the guards confiscated your camera."

Mayson's mouth gaped. "How do you know they took my camera?" she asked.

Lois allowed only a modicum of her inner triumph to show. "Well, there's this thing called x-ray vision," she informed Mayson. "And Superman has it."
rotflol

I don't really laugh aloud all that often when I'm reading. Here I can assure you I did. Go Lois smile )))

"Incapacitated?" she drawled. "That's not the word that springs to my mind when I think about our wedding day."
This certainly tops her answer about the consumation of the relationship during the interview (and that was already an awesome bit).

So... Mayson is going to see her, isn't she? And she is going to recognize her?!?! Though, maybe... well maybe Lois will pick up some of the information the source has to give her. I sure hope it's the latter.

And just as a last thought... Will we see Lois at the Planet, as a reporter, in that Epilogue you're going to write? Because there's no way you're going to leave her and her investigative skills in Melbourne...

Cris
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ok i just read this story (all 52 chapters of it) and I just have to say.. OMG. What an amazing story you have here!!! I have learned so much from it (being an american and all) and I just have to thank you for taking the time to tell such an incredible story! I can't wait for the next chapter.

Well done!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Blogger
Blogger
Corinna, what a ripper game! Poor players, having to do it all again next week!

(To all non-Aussies, our Grand Final was a draw, & there's no time on in Aussie Rules)

Dawn

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
DW

but how come I get the feeling that Mayson will directly or indirectly run into (or at least see) Lois in the library?
Something significant will happen in the library - I'm writing part 61 and still working through the ramifications.

Thanks, DW.

Michael

Looks like Lois is already picking up on her Metropolis traits.
Put Lois Lane in Metropolis and that's what you get!!

Evelyn

I'm wondering if Lois will spot Mayson and maybe overhear her conversation with Albert.
You are sooooooo close, Evelyn. smile

Amy Albert wasn't supposed to represent anyone specific. huh

Cristina

The scene at the cafe was really fun.
You can thank various FDKers for that scene - they kept saying they wanted a confrontation between Lois and Mayson and this was how I tried to achieve it.

And just as a last thought... Will we see Lois at the Planet, as a reporter, in that Epilogue you're going to write? Because there's no way you're going to leave her and her investigative skills in Melbourne...
Uhmmmmmmm!

Bellarata thud You read all 52 parts! Whoa! I'm so glad you enjoyed all the Australian touches - I had fun combining my country and footy with Lois and Clark.

Dawn

there's no time on in Aussie Rules
Not in the GF. It was a great game. Now the players and coaches have to do it all again next week. eek

Thanks everyone for your FDK.

60 is with the BRs. 61 is written. Possibly 3 more parts to go.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard