When Lois calmed down a bit, she started thinking and looking around. She wandered her 'apartment,' looking for any means of escape. But everywhere that she looked, she met concrete or brick. It seemed hopeless... she sat on the sofa and turned on the TV, curious to know if she had any connection to the outside world. Of course. All LNN, all the time. How appropriate. She laughed bitterly then shut it off again. She sighed, laying her head back on the sofa, looking up at the ceiling. There. She noticed it. Near the balcony window, a decent sized air vent. She got up quickly, walking over to inspect it.

It was only held in place by screws. Four little screws that could lead to freedom.

Lois ran over to the kitchen, frantically looking for a screwdriver. She slammed the drawer shut in frustration as she realized there *was* no screwdriver. Lex wouldn't be so stupid.

Wait! A butter knife! She had seen Jimmy show her several useful tricks with a butter knife. She dug into the draw, her instrument for freedom quickly found.

Just then, her front door was being unlocked. She shoved the knife into her suit coat pocket. She was glad she had insisted that her suits had pockets. You never knew when you might have to hide things...

Lex entered, a warm smile on his face.

"Well, I hope you've made yourself comfortable, Lois," he said sweetly.

"Why am I here? Why keep me locked up down here?" she demanded.

He shook his head like a father about to punish a naughty child. "Lois, I thought you might like a quiet night before our wedding."

"Why am I really here?" she demanded.

He nodded, his tone dangerous when he answered her, "I told you to stay away from Mr. Kent."

She felt a chill go up her spine. "He's my friend, Lex. I have a right to visit friends."

"Not one that I see as a rival for your affections, I'm afraid," he stepped closer to her, reaching to stroke her cheek.

She turned her head away, showing her disdain for him.

"So, and I hear you've been asking about me at LNN as well. Lois, Lois, you should no better by now than to snoop where you shouldn't be snooping."

He looked at her a moment, then tried a different approach. "Come now, why don't we put all the past aside? All will be forgiven once you become my wife tomorrow."

"I will never marry you," she said with seething anger.

He approached her, leaning in as if to kiss her. She slapped him hard.

Then his eyes, full of jealousy and hate turned to her. "You'll regret that."

He grabbed her arms, holding them to her sides, showing more strength than she knew he had in him. She tried to struggle free to reach her knife, but it was in the breast pocket and she couldn't loosed his grip enough to get to it.

Luthor moved in for a punishing kiss. But Lois wouldn't give in. She bit him, and he pulled away.

"You bitch!" he cried, reaching to slap her again.

This time he hit her with more force than she was expecting, sending her to the floor.

He walked to the door. "You'll regret that, Miss Lane. See you at the chapel," he said calmly, before locking the door behind him.

Lois struggled to get up. "No!" she cried, pulling the butter knife from her pocket. She threw it at the door futilely, hearing the clang of the silver mock her attempt.

Something just didn't seem right. Clark couldn't pinpoint it exactly, but he was worried about Lois. He was worried about the consequences of seeing her the other day, even though it had done his spirits some good. He wished he had been more thorough in checking for spying equipment in the car. Had Lex heard any of their conversation? He didn't think he had said anything that gave away too much, but he knew Lex would be angry at Lois for seeking out Clark. The man had a dangerous jealous streak in him that made Clark worry for Lois.

He couldn't focus on what Perry and Jimmy were talking about. This afternoon, though, things began coming together rather quickly on the guys' investigation of Luthor. Jack had very cleverly videotaped a Board member acting less than honestly, and they had gotten him to admit that Luthor was behind the downfall of the Planet.

Perry and the boys were enjoying the fact that Henderson would be informed about Luthor tomorrow morning. They'd have that criminal in jail in no time!

But Clark just couldn't focus on their victory. Something didn't feel right and he didn't know what it was.

He stood up, moving even before his thoughts caught up to him.

"Is something the matter, Son?" asked Perry.

"Uh, how about I pick us up some Chinese food?" he asked suddenly.

"Why don't we just order in?" Jimmy said, moving to pick up the phone book.

Clark tried forestalling, "Um, I know this place. They don't deliver, but I can go pick it up. I'll be back in less than thirty minutes."

He headed out the door and spun in the alley into Superman.

He didn't hear the guys call after him or their mumbled protests that he better bring something good back since he hadn't even ask what they wanted...

Clark was over Lois' apartment in a matter of seconds. Something was terribly wrong, he felt it in his gut.

He landed at her window, noticing it was open.

"Lois?" he called.

He quickly scanned the room, but he knew she wasn't there. He would have heard her heartbeat right away.

He saw a note on her kitchen table, marked with a giant 'S'. He opened it, seeing at once it was from Luthor.

"Hello Superman!
"I have a little matter to discuss with you that concerns Miss Lane. Would you do me the honor of coming by this evening?
"Lex Luthor."

Clark growled in frustration and burned the note with his heat vision. He was certain Lex had Lois. He also knew Lex had Kryptonite. But he had to do something!

Clark took to the skies and headed to LexCorp Tower, his only thought that Luthor's games had to end now.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink