Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73882 09/19/10 04:52 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So, nothing earth-shattering in this chapter. wink
It had always bothered me how in the show Lois moved so quickly and comfortably into working at LNN. As sort of a side note, what do you think the motivation was in the show? Was it a desperate attempt to make herself believe she was making the right choice in marrying Lex? Or did she honestly think she could have a future in television?

To me, Lois is always the quintessential newspaper journalist. I think because her character originated in the 30s, during WWII, during an era where we've idealized American job fields like journalism. To me, Lois is and forever will be, a newspaper girl. cool

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi MM,

Although nothing earth-shattering happened in this part, it did move the plot along; and once again, I love seeing how well you weave the canon events into your own story.

Though Clark was not thrilled with the idea of him skipping out of his legal obligations, he finally agreed that Jack could possibly be useful in hunting down the truth. Besides, he could sympathize with the kid wanting to clear his own name.
...And little did he know that a few years later, he would be breaking Lois out of jail to have her help in clearing her name...

As sort of a side note, what do you think the motivation was in the show? Was it a desperate attempt to make herself believe she was making the right choice in marrying Lex?
I think you hit the nail on the head with this proposed motivation. I think Lex had succeeded in cutting her off from all she held dear, and she was attempting to convince herself that the only avenue she saw being available to her was one which she actually liked. She was trying to focus on the gilding and not the cage.

Looking forward to part 7, as we inch closer and closer to the titular (non-)wedding... (At least, the wedding was aborted on the show. And I don't think I am venturing too far out on a limb by assuming that it won't happen in this story, either.)

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Agreed, nothing particularly earth shattering. Actually, I enjoyed te progress. Early on, I noticed this section:
"Well, we know that already. Did you tell him we suspect Lex?"

He smiled at her use of 'we.' His partner was back.
This is a nice little part that shows how much has changed in the direction of the story. Lois may be engaged to Lex, but she is with Clark.

I liked your descriptions of Lois trying to fit in at LNN. I had to wonder at this section:
The closest she got to what people really thought of Lex was when she talked to an errand girl, who had just started working there a month before.

"Mr. Luthor?" She shivered. "Well, better you marry him than me. I don't care how much money the man has, that man gives me the creeps."
I have to believe that this girl is very foolish. At the very least her opinion could cost her that job. She must not have realized who Lois was. Under normal circumstances you would never criticize the boss in front of his soon-to-be wife.

As for Lois and LNN in the series, I don't think she was really happy. I always thought she was not letting herself accept how unhappy she was. As you say, this was part of her working hard to convince herself that her new future with Lex really was what she wanted. She was in denial and it would never have worked out.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Was it a desperate attempt to make herself believe she was making the right choice in marrying Lex?
I think you hit the nail on the head there, MM. Lois knew, at least subconsciously, that Lex was the wrong man for her, and that she had treated Clark appallingly. It would be very in-character for her to force herself to be frantically busy in adapting to working at LNN, so she wouldn't have to think about those uncomfortable things.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard