PREVIOUSLY IN THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE...

“Paul, this is important. Women need to know that they are in danger of having their drinks spiked.”

“They are? That’s more than this article tells me. Some woman ‘believes’ something may have been slipped into her drink. The other woman can’t tell us anything because she’s dead. Sorry, Lane. This is my call. And I say no. I’m not going to start a panic on campus without solid proof.”

AND NOW...

“Look, if this is your way of getting back at me for accusing your new girlfriend of stealing my story...”

“About that... Linda told me what happened. She said that you were both looking into the story and you were just mad because she got there first.”

“What!” Lois exclaimed.

“And I think because of that, because you were scooped on one of the biggest stories ever to run in the Ink and Quill, you’re trying to create bigger and better stories.”

“That’s not...”

“So... I’m going to forget you ever tried to submit this garbage as news.” He dumped the story into the trash can. “And I’m assigning you to cover the art exhibit this weekend and telling you to give up on this supposed story. Now... is that all?”

Lois stared at him dumfounded for a moment before reaching down to snatch her story out of the garbage can. After glaring at Paul once more, she spun around, storming out of the editor’s office and slamming the door behind her.

She glanced around, looking for Charlie, only to feel her heart drop into her stomach with what greeted her eyes. Linda, it seemed, had noticed Charlie and was currently flashing her baby blues at him.

Fortifying herself for another heartache, she began walking towards them. After all, what man would even try to resist what Linda was so obviously offering?

“Later then,” Linda said, patting Charlie’s chest before heading in Lois’ direction.

“Tired of Paul already?” Lois asked sarcastically.

“Oh, hi, Lois. What?”

Lois gestured in Charlie’s direction.

“Oh, him.” She shrugged. “One has nothing to do with the other.”

Lois’ eyebrows rose.

“Well, I might want to be on Paul’s arm at the ceremony for the Krebb Awards this year. But he’s not exactly... Well, maybe he’s not quite everything I expected. And I figure what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.” She winked at Lois and sashayed away, leaving a stunned Lois behind.

‘Not quite everything I expected.’ The words suddenly sank in and Lois’ mouth fell open. Was there something to Molly’s comment about Paul being bad in bed after all?

Still, why did that mean she had to set her sights on the man that Lois... The one Lois... On Charlie? Her eyes left Linda to slowly swing back to Charlie as she fought back tears. Not again. Please, not again. Not Charlie. She could handle it if it were anyone but Charlie.

Clark’s eyebrows crinkled together in confusion. He knew who Linda King was, of course. He’d been dodging her advances at the Daily Planet for the past few months now and was tired of it. And he had listened in on the conversation between Lois and Linda. But surely Lois wouldn’t be upset about...

Suddenly, understanding sunk in. Linda had just recently stolen a story and a guy from Lois. She must be concerned that it was about to happen again. So...

He plastered a smile on his face and rose to his feet, walking over to where Lois was standing.

“You couldn’t have been a few minutes earlier?” he asked.

“What?” Lois responded, obviously confused.

“I could have used some saving. That woman is a barracuda. Does she even understand the meaning of the word no?” He injected as much annoyance into his voice as he could. Not that it was a particularly difficult feat. Annoyance was pretty much how he felt about Linda.

“Not a word she’s heard... or used a lot,” Lois responded, finally seeming to relax.

“Yeah, well, she better get used to it because that’s the only word she’s ever going to hear from me.”

He was rewarded by a smile from Lois.

“So... all done?” Clark asked, changing the subject from Linda King. “Did your editor make any changes to your story?”

“Paul? He’s not interested in changes. In fact, he’s not interested in the story at all.”

“What?” Clark asked. “How could he not...”

“Said it was nothing more than speculation. Then, instead of telling me to get more facts, he accused me of making up the story and assigned me some stupid fluff piece.”

“But... what about warning women that there is a danger out there?”

“What danger? According to Paul, there is no danger. Come on. I’ve got to get out of here.” She grabbed her backpack and stormed towards the door to the paper.

He followed, letting her burn off some of her excess energy. He waited until she stepped out of the building before reaching out and grabbing her arm to bring her to a halt. “There are other ways of getting your information out there,” he said.

“What are you suggesting? That we print up a bunch of posters and put them up on all the bulletin boards, plaster then to telephone poles, hand them out as...”

“No. I was thinking more of the Daily Planet.”

“What?” Lois asked. “You think I should send my story to the Daily Planet?”

“No. I think you should go see Perry White - take your story to him personally, make him understand how important it is to warn women of a potential danger out there. Sell the importance of this story to him.”

She swallowed hard. “You want me to just walk into the Daily Planet and insist on talking to the editor of the greatest newspaper in the world?”

Clark smiled. “What do you have to lose?”

She couldn’t believe she was doing this - that she had walked into the Daily Planet and told the receptionist she needed to talk to Perry White. Even more unbelievable was that when the receptionist called to tell Mr. White that there was a Lois Lane here to see him, he had apparently said to send her right up. That was how she found herself in an elevator heading up to the newsroom and the office of Perry White late on this Thursday afternoon.

Perry looked up from his desk when he heard the elevator ding, announcing its arrival on the floor of the newsroom. Leaning back in his chair, he watched a young woman step off and look around. Not quite the image he’d created of the pit bull Henderson had described. She looked more like a frightened rabbit.

He was curious about what she would do now, so he sat there watching as she stopped Ralph, the copy boy. He suspected she was asking directions. A short exchange took place after that, but it was one that completely intrigued Perry.

He didn’t know what Ralph had said to the young woman, but knowing Ralph, he could imagine. He watched in fascination as the frightened rabbit disappeared. A moment later Ralph was practically limping away from the encounter. A smile spread across Perry’s face.

He continued to watch as she brushed off the encounter with Ralph, straightened her clothing and, after taking a deep breath, lifted her chin and began walking towards his office. She must still be nervous, but one could no longer tell from looking at her, as if the encounter with Ralph, rather than shaking her, had given her a much needed shot of adrenalin.

He rose to his feet, arriving at his door just before she did.

“You must be Lois Lane,” he said, offering her his hand. He was pleased when she shook it firmly. “Come on in.” He gestured her to a chair before closing the door and returning to his desk. “So, Ms. Lane,” he said as he took a seat on the corner of his desk, “what can I do for a freshman in the journalism program at New Troy University?”

Her eyes widened. She obviously hadn’t expected him to know who she was. She quickly pushed her surprise aside, however, to focus on the reason for her visit. “It’s Lois, please. And I have a story for the Daily Planet,” she said, pulling a large brown envelope out of her backpack.

“So why are you offering it to the Planet? Shouldn’t you be taking it to the Ink and Quill?”

“I did. They didn’t want it.”

Perry got up from the corner of his desk and slid around behind it to take a seat in his chair, using the time to digest this information. “So what would make you think that the Planet would be interested if the Ink and Quill isn’t?”

“Because the Daily Planet stands for truth and justice. Because the Daily Planet believes in giving voice to those without a voice, in protecting those who can’t protect themselves, in...”

Perry White raised his hand, cutting her off. “I think I know what the Daily Planet stands for,” he said, amusement in his voice. “Although, I’m not sure I’ve heard our finer qualities argued quite so passionately before.” He was rewarded when the young woman seated on the other side of his desk blushed. “So which is this?” he asked, gesturing to the envelope. “Truth, justice, giving voice or providing protection?”

Her blush deepened and she squirmed slightly. But when she finally spoke, her voice, although soft, was also strong, the strength of one who possessed the conviction of her words. “Mr. White, I’ve come across information that indicates that women at New Troy University are facing a new danger. It has already resulted in the death of one woman. And I think it’s absolutely critical that women are made aware of this new threat before heading into another weekend.”

“If this is true, I can’t believe the Ink and Quill wouldn’t want this story. Any idea why they weren’t interested?”

Lois shifted uncomfortably. “I guess you’d have to ask them.”

Perry clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. She had her suspicions about what the problem was, but she wasn’t about to share them. Could this be connected with what had happened when she’d had her recent story stolen? Perry knew all about the role politics played at a newspaper - even one on a college campus.

“Okay, so what’s the story?”

Lois looked at him for a moment, as if trying to come to some sort of decision. She looked down again at the envelope and then back at him. “If I show you this... What’s to stop you from simply assigning one of your own reporters to look into it and write up their own story?”

“Nothing whatsoever,” Perry responded.

She hesitated for a moment before sighing. “This information needs to get out before the weekend.” With that, she handed the envelope over to Perry.

He looked at her for a moment before directing his attention to the envelope. By her comments, she was concerned that for a second time, she was going to have her story stolen. Yet she was an idealist. She believed that it was more important to protect her fellow students than it was to protect her story.

Opening the envelope, he removed the contents, leaning back in his chair and reading through it slowly before reading it once again.

“I assume you’ve got evidence to back this up,” Perry finally said, looking back at Lois.

Taking a deep breath, Lois reached into her back pack, removing another envelope and her tape recorder. After hesitating a moment more, she handed them to Perry.

After reading the document in the envelope, he understood her final hesitation. “You’re the woman who wishes to remain anonymous?” he asked when he saw the name on the top of the report on the drug test.

She nodded.

He filed that information away as he listened to the taped statement from the coroner.

Why hadn’t he said anything? No praise. No criticism. Just... nothing. Instead, after listening to the coroner’s tape, he’d picked up a blue pencil and begun making marks on her story.

She sat up straighter to see what he was writing. He had crossed out a few words here and there, written in others and circled ‘unidentified drug’ both times it appeared.

Then he’d scribbled something she couldn’t read from this angle at the bottom. Finally, just when she was certain she was going to climb out of her skin, he looked up at her again.

“Okay,” he began slowly. “First things first. Were you hurt?”

The question surprised her. “Uhh... No. Other than my pride. But my guardian angel was looking out for me.” To his confused expression, she shrugged sheepishly. “Sorry. Inside joke. No, a friend took me home and put me to bed.”

“I’d like a quote from her... or him.”

“And if she doesn’t want to be identified either?”

“Not a problem. But it would strengthen your story to provide a witness to the second incident. Besides, how can you say you were acting drunk if you don’t remember anything? You need someone who saw how you were acting to say that.”

Lois nodded.

“Now... why do you believe someone slipped this drug into your drink?”

“It tasted salty. I was told that this drug can have a salty taste to it, depending on what type of drink it is added to. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but when I realized afterwards that I had been drugged, it was the only logical conclusion.”

Perry nodded. “Okay, I want you to add something about the reason for your belief. Not in detail, but just that it tasted salty.”

“But I’ve also been told that sometimes people won’t even taste the drug and I don’t want people thinking that if they just taste their drinks carefully, they will be okay.”

Perry let out a slow breath before nodding. “Okay, I’ll let that one go. We’ll leave it vague as to why you think it was slipped into your drink, but add in something about having blood tests done which confirms you having been drugged. And change the word ‘believes’ to ‘maintains.’ Same difference, but it sounds better. Or at least... I assume you maintain that was how you ingested the drug.”

Lois nodded.

“Also,” Perry continued. “...the warning from the coroner would be stronger if you made it a direct quote.”

“Okay.”

“Now... for the big issue. Why call it an unidentified drug? The coroner and your blood tests both clearly identify it as something called GHB.”

Lois shifted again. “Well, I’m sort of... still pursuing that angle and...”

“You don’t want the person responsible to know how much you know,” Mr. White said. “So do I take that to mean you’re still investigating to find out who is behind these attacks?”

She nodded.

He studied her for a long moment as he considered that. “Okay, you get a quote from your friend, backing up your version of events, add something about your blood tests and change the warning from the coroner into a direct quote. Also, I would be more comfortable calling it...” Perry hesitated as he thought for a moment. “Call it ‘a mind-altering’ drug rather than ‘unidentified’ - since it is identified. We just won’t be the ones to name it.

“Then, I’ll run it in tomorrow’s paper,” Perry continued. “I’ll even put it on the front page to make sure as many people as possible see it. It won’t be the lead, but I will put it above the fold. Between that and the way news travels on a university campus, I’m sure word will spread quickly enough.”

Lois stared at him in disbelief.

“However...” he continued, holding up his hand. “...I have a caveat. The Daily Planet has the right of first refusal of any follow up story. If you find out who is responsible, that story is given to us first.”

Lois was about to agree when she hesitated. Paul might have refused this story, but she still held a press pass that claimed she was a student reporter for the Ink and Quill. She groaned. So close. She’d been so close.

“I’m sorry, Mr. White,” she said, rising to her feet. “I think this story should get out there - preferably before the weekend. Women need to know about this. But I don’t have the right to promise you my follow up story. I still work for the Ink and Quill.” She began to gather up her evidence regretfully. Hopefully, Charlie, Molly and maybe even some of her other sorority sisters would help her put up posters.

“Lois,” Mr. White said just as she was about to leave the room. “Use a phone out there to get that quote from your friend. Find an empty desk and make the corrections I’m requesting. Then, when you have a follow up, come see me. Let me talk to the editor at the Ink and Quill - see if he will agree to a joint release of the story.”

“And if he doesn’t agree?” Lois asked, trying to keep control of the hope suddenly rising in her chest.

“Then he’s a fool.” Perry took a breath before continuing. “If that’s the case, the Daily Planet will lose out. But I think I can get him to agree. I’m assuming the police will become involved as soon as you get the necessary evidence. And once that happens, someone will pick up on it. And since the Ink and Quill only publishes once a week, the best way to ensure that they are given credit for this story is to agree to have the Daily Planet print it, giving due credit to the Ink and Quill. And even if the story breaks next Thursday evening, given the fact that the Daily Planet has a much wider audience... Yes, Lois, I think I can get him to agree. So... do we have a deal?”

Lois’ face almost split in two from the smile that spread across it. “We have a deal, Mr. White.”

“Call me Perry.”

She quickly nodded, before rushing out of his office to look for a phone and empty desk.

“Lois,” Perry said, causing her to look back at him expectantly. He was now standing in the doorway to his office. “Two more things.”

She stopped, confused.

“First, don’t you want to know how much we pay for freelance articles?”

Her eyes widened. Not only was she going to have a story on the front page of the Daily Planet, but he was offering to pay her for it? Was he serious?

“What do you say to... seventy-five dollars?”

“Yes. Absolutely,” she said immediately.

He grinned. “You should have held out. I was prepared to go as high as a hundred dollars. It is an exclusive, after all.”

“But...”

“And second,” he continued before she could get another word out, “that story you wrote about the college football players not writing their own exams... good hustle.”

“How...”

“I didn’t become editor of the world’s greatest paper because I can yodel,” he responded, before walking back to his office with a, “lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo”

Lois stared down at the hundred dollar cheque that had appeared on the corner of desk she was using to make the changes to her story that Mr. Whit... Perry had requested. A cheque with ‘The Daily Planet’ in bold letters across the top. A cheque made out to her. She wasn’t entirely sure she would cash it. Maybe she would just frame it - along with her story.

She forced herself to push that thought aside. Before worrying about the proceeds from her story, she needed to finish her story. She read through her final version once more.

‘New Danger to Women at University
‘By Lois Lane

‘A new, mind-altering drug has left two women at New Troy University helpless and in a position to be victimized.

‘According to the Metropolis coroner, Dr. James Seymour, one of the students, Angelina Wesley, died as the result of having the drug in her system.

‘The second woman, who asked to remain anonymous, maintains that the drug was placed in her drink when she left it unattended at a college party on the New Troy University campus.

‘She said that she only had one drink and remembered nothing more after that, but after doing blood tests was informed that she had tested positive for the drug.

‘Her friend, also a student on campus, and wishing to remain anonymous, said, “My friend only had one drink that I knew of and she began acting very drunk and very seductive. We took her home and put her to bed. In the morning , she didn’t remember anything.”

‘Seymour had a warning for women at NTU. “I strongly advise all young women attending New Troy University to watch their drinks when out in public,” Seymour said.’

Satisfied that this was the best she could do, she returned to Perry’s office. A few minutes and some brief additional corrections by Perry and she was done. She carefully stowed her cheque between the pages of one of her textbooks to be sure it wouldn’t get crinkled before heading out of the newsroom.

Clark spotted Lois the instant she emerged from the Daily Planet. He hadn’t gone in with her since he didn’t want to change the timeline by meeting Perry in 1987 instead of 1993 when he would first interviewed for the Daily Planet. Besides, he had been confident that Lois could handle it, and should handle it, on her own. It was Lois’ story after all. And her moment of glory.

He smiled when she spotted him across the street. To be honest, he’d seen her even before she emerged. He’d been sneaking peaks inside periodically ever since she’d first gone inside. He hadn’t listened, however. It had felt like it would be too much an invasion of her privacy. But when he’d seen her working to revise her story, he knew she’d been successful in convincing Perry to print it.

Not that he hadn’t figured it was a sure thing even before then. He might not know the Perry White of this time. But he did know the one of 1997. And the Perry he knew would want to make sure that the women of New Troy University knew of this new danger.

But even if he hadn’t known she had been successful, one look at her face would have given the game away. She was beaming.

“Charlie!” she yelled.

He had only taken a couple of steps towards her before she was running towards him at full speed. He braced himself just as she threw herself into his arms. She was talking a mile a minute, too. So fast, Clark was only able to pick up every other thought.

How they had ended up kissing, Clark wasn’t certain. One minute, he’d been laughing as he’d held her, revealing in her joyous babble. And the next, his mouth was exploring hers with a passion he’d only dreamt existed until now.

Thought didn’t exist. The reasons for not doing this didn’t matter. All that mattered was her. He groaned and gave in, his need and love for the woman in his arms becoming his sole focus. The feel of her body in his arms. The perfect combination of curves, spirit and passion.

She couldn’t get close enough. Their bodies entangled. Their mouths and tongues dueling with each other. His hands on her back, hers running through his hair. She thought she’d been kissed before; she was wrong. Never had a kiss been like this. All her senses were suddenly alive. His taste. His touch. His feel. His smell. All of it was quickly becoming part of her, making her feel as if she were alive for the very first time in her twenty years.

Had he kissed her? Had she kissed him? She didn’t know and didn’t particularly care. That they were standing on a public street while the sun set over Metropolis was irrelevant. Nothing existed in her universe except the man holding her in his arms.

She moaned, moving against him, desperately searching for more.

And suddenly, he wasn’t there.

She gasped, struggling to keep her balance when she found herself standing on the street, Charlie about ten feet away.

“I’m sorry,” Charlie gasped. “I shouldn’t have... It’s not... I just...”

“Charlie?” she asked.

“I’ve got to go,” Charlie said.

She watched in complete confusion when he began backing away and then... a gust of wind and he was gone.

“Charlie?” she asked again when she suddenly found herself standing alone across the street from the Daily Planet.

END OF PART THREE
TO BE CONTINUED IN PART FOUR...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane