Hi all! OK! So, working on the sequel... I probably won't post as often as my previous stories... probably every other day instead of every day, unless I get one of those crazy 'gotta write all of this at once' moments... This one will probably be about as long as the first one. I'm about half way through it, though not sure how many parts there will be. It's a guess at this point....
Anyway, the canon timeline is completely messed up since the revelation already happened. Basically it's in time with end of Season 1, tossing in s little 'Lucky Leon.' wink

Clark arrived right on time. Lois needed ten more minutes, but of course he wouldn't have been late. It was their first date, after all.

"Clark! Just a minute!" she called.

Lois came running into the living room, her giant curlers still in her hair. She quickly opened all the locks and cracked open the door, darting back to her room a second later. "Come in! Just give me a few more minutes!"

Clark laughed good-naturedly, catching a glimpse of her shapely calf as she dashed back to her room. "Take your time, Lois. There's no rush."

"Sorry, Clark. I was late leaving the Planet and then I had to pick up my dry cleaning and..." she explained from her bedroom, the rest muffled as she was digging for something in her closet. She came back into the living room a short moment later, finishing putting in her diamond stud earrings. "Wow! I mean, wow, Clark! You look--" Her eyes swept him head to foot, taking in his charcoal suit. Clark always looked good in a suit, but one that was so understated and sophisticated was--well, wow!

He smiled sheepishly, giving her an appreciative grin in return as he took in her burgundy dress. "*You* look... amazing."

She smiled warmly. "I'm almost ready. Let me just get my wrap and purse..."

Lois took one last look at herself in the mirror. It was going to be a night to remember. She would make sure of it.

"So where are we going exactly?" she asked, taking Clark's arm as they made their way out of her apartment.

"Oh, a little jazz place I know."

The Jazzy Cats Club had a secret. Besides being buried in an eclectic neighborhood where the elite of Metropolis feared to tread, it had a chef that was as good as any four star hotel chef in the city. Not only was the jazz cool and danceable, but the New Orleans style menu was flawless.

Lois and Clark were seated at a semi-circle wine colored velvet booth that could easily hold four people. As dinner and conversation progressed, they unconsciously moved in to sit closer to each other, suddenly finding themselves side by side by the time dessert was served.

"Clark, you have to try this chocolate mousse! It is heavenly!" she dipped in her spoon and reached over to give him a bite. His eyes never left hers, and somehow feeding him chocolate sent shivers up her spine.

"Delicious," he whispered, though his eyes seemed to be commenting on more than just the mousse.

She smiled sweetly, moving in just a little closer to him. <<I could kiss him so easily.>>

"Dance with me, Lois?" he suddenly asked, glancing over at the jazz quartet lit by soft blue lights from above.

She took one last bite of the mousse and then nodded with a smile.

As they stepped out onto the makeshift dance floor in front of the stage, Clark pulled her in close, his hand resting on the small of her back. Lois wondered if he noticed how her heart rate went up when he touched her like that. She leaned in to lay her head on his chest and smiled when she could feel that his own heart beat a slightly faster tattoo with her near. She was pleased that she affected him just as much as he did her.

The saxophone solo was slow and smooth, floating on a cushion of chords coming from the piano, while the bass plucked out a thrumming rhythm under it all. Lois closed her eyes, enjoying the moment, enjoying him holding her. She had never felt so comfortable with any man in her life. After a while, as they fell into sync dancing with each other, she tilted her head to look up at him. He gave her a warm smile.

"I love dancing with you," she said honestly.

He gave her a sexy grin in return, rubbing the curve of her back gently, "Me too."

Lois felt her legs turn to jelly. <<How does he do that to me?>> She had begun to notice how much he affected her shortly after discovering his secret. She thought at first it was because he was Superman, who had been her heart's desire for so many months. But lately, she was noticing that she felt more weak in the knees around Clark when he *wasn't* in the spandex. She found herself wanting to be near him at the Planet as much as possible, even if it was just to get a refill of coffee when he was. And those eyes... those sweet, chocolate brown eyes. She found herself drowning in them more and more. Which scared her. Terrified her, even. How had she changed into this moony-eyed cheerleader for Clark overnight?

She sighed in frustration and immediately Clark sensed something the matter.

"What is it, Lois?" His voice was warm, like honey. Like cool jazz on a hot summer's night...

"Clark..." she started, looking up at him. There was so much she wanted to say, but couldn't seem to form the words. "Tonight's lovely," she said, laying her head back on his chest, not wanting to spoil the evening with her fears.

"Everything okay?" he tried again, his voice warming her to her toes.

"Perfect," she said almost sadly.

"Are you tired? Do you want to go home?" he asked, concern in his voice.

She clung tighter to him. "Just hold me, Clark," she said softly.

"Always," he answered, letting the music carry them away.

As they walked back to her apartment, Lois got more and more despondent. This was the most perfect, most romantic night of her life. But it couldn't last, couldn't go on like this...

When they reached her door, she turned to him, hating the look of longing in his eyes. She sighed, bracing herself, "Okay... here goes. I had a really nice time tonight."

He smiled softly, "So did I."

"No I mean a *really* nice time," she emphasized, feeling sadness creep in. "Maybe the best time I ever had. It wasn't the funniest or the wildest. Or the--"

"Don't knock yourself out, Lois," Clark laughed.

She looked him in the eyes, needing to make him understand. "But everything seemed to just... *work*. I really liked it." She took a breath and put the door between the two of them. "That's why I can never see you again."

She slammed the door, ending it because she had to. For his own good. She *had* to end it.

"Lois?" Clark called, hurt and confused. He stood there a minute, believing that surely any second she would open the door again and say 'just kidding!' Any second she'd---

He sighed. <<What did I do wrong?>>

Lois slipped to the floor, her hand held to her mouth until she was certain he had left, lest he hear the sobs that she couldn't contain.

It had all been ruined two nights earlier.

Lois had been dropped off by Lex's limo at her apartment, in a state of shock.

She had managed to get inside, lock the door, and then had made her way slowly to the couch.

How had things gotten this far?

It was just supposed to be an interview. That's all. There wasn't supposed to be flirting, or dating, and certainly not a marriage proposal! Something wasn't right.

She had let Lex dazzle her with his charm, his money, his culture. She was important in society when she was with him. And he was a rich philanthropist. She wanted to help people and what better way than through the world's third richest man?

But still---

Superman. Clark. Her best friend, and yet the man who could take her breath away with a glance. And besides her attraction to him, she cared about him deeply. Clark was a good person, open... genuine. Ah, there it was. Through all Lex's money and charm, there had always rung a false note. Lois had chosen not to hear it, thinking that the good surely outweighed the bad in his dealings, right? She was no fool. She knew he couldn't have gotten so filthy rich through entirely honest means. He was a self-made man, after all.

And yet--- she couldn't marry him.

"What am I going to do?" she whispered aloud. She didn't think Lex would take kindly to her saying no, which she desperately wanted to do. Yet she couldn't bring herself to say yes.

Her eyes wandered over to the phone. She wanted to call Clark. <<And say what exactly?>> Could he help her out of this? She knew he distrusted Lex and hated her seeing him, but she also didn't want him going into over protective mode, which he was wont to do. But maybe there was a reason for it. Otherwise, why did she feel terrified of telling Lex she couldn't marry him?

She got up to call Clark, but suddenly the phone rang.

"Clark?" she answered in hopeful surprise.

"No, my dear," came an irritated voice on the other line.

"Oh, Lex, hello. It's you. Sorry, I--I was expecting Clark's call. He was supposed to give me some details on a story we are working on," she trailed off lamely, wondering why she felt forced to make an excuse.

"Lois, I just called to wish you a good night. I hope you consider my proposal carefully. I want you to sleep on it. I expect a response tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" she said, trying to calm the quaver in her voice.

"Why, yes. You can't expect me to pine forever for you, my love."

"Of course not. Okay, Lex. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll send my car for you at eight."

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink