Part 18

"Dad, I can never get these bowties to lie right. Is there a trick? I used to be able to tie them with super speed, but not any more." His fingers fumbled nervously, then in exasperation, tied it haphazardly.

"Here, son." Jonathan undid the crooked bow that Clark had started, and after a couple attempts, managed to tie it fairly straight.

"Thanks, Dad."

"Anytime." Jonathan shuffled his feet. "Son, I have to admit I'm worried."

"What, Dad?"

"This marriage of convenience.... Are you going to be able to handle it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Son, I'm your father, but I also know what it's like for a man to love a woman. Frankly, this hands-off approach bothers me."

"Dad, it's okay. I know what I'm getting myself into. I've been handling these feelings for Lois since the day I met her. What I can't handle is having her out of my life. I love her, Dad. If this means I have to live in a platonic relationship, then I will. I have to..."

"You're a stronger man than I am, son."

"No, Dad. Just doing what I have to do. Heck, we practically lived together when we were working for the Daily Planet..." Clark paused, as his face grew flushed. "You know what I mean. We did everything together, and now, it will just be official."

Jonathan's expression softened. "That's good, Clark. You know us old dads. We have to ask and say our piece."

Perry poked his head in the dressing room, and announced, "Five minutes until show time."

Clark grinned nervously. "This is it! Is my bowtie straight?"

"Clark. I just fixed it."

"Oh." Taking a deep breath, he followed his father into the sanctuary.

The muted strings of a guitar began playing in the background. Burgundy roses sat in vases on pedestals on either side of pulpit, and Clark could smell their sweet fragrance from where he stood. Wispy threads of smoke rose from the white candles in the background, the light casting a romantic glow behind them. White satin ribbons were tied to the first pew on either side of the aisle, and dark rose petals were randomly strewn on a white paper carpet.

Clark pushed on his glasses nervously and gripped the rings hard in his other hand. He had forgotten to give them back to his father, he thought sheepishly. Perry smiled at him from the pulpit, trying to reassure him. The old editor had been able to get hold of Jimmy after all, and the young photographer was now softly playing the guitar.

Everything had fallen into place last night and this morning. He had not talked to Lois today; she insisted upon following the old wives' tale of not seeing each other the day of the wedding until the ceremony. Now he only hoped that she would be here. A small part of him couldn't believe that this was happening, and he kept thinking he was going to wake up from his dream. He'd been reassured by his mother that Lois was fine and present. Nevertheless, he wasn't going to breathe easily until he had his ring on her finger.

Checking his watch, it had to be time soon; this waiting was killing him. His mother caught his eye and gave him a huge wink. He promptly stuck his tongue out at her briefly, but then missed his mother making a face in return when his attention was captured by the activity at the back of the church.

A swirl of white and silk, but most of all Lois, appeared at the doorway as Pachelbel's Canon was picked out on the guitar. Clark's parents stood up and faced the incoming bride.

Clark nearly dropped the rings as Lois began to walk down the aisle. Absolutely stunning in a dress that appeared to have been made for her, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life. And she was going to be his wife!

The butterflies in Lois' stomach swirled lightly as she saw Clark for the first time that day. He was devastatingly handsome in his black tux; his face was awash in wonder and awe for her. Smiling nervously at him, tears pricking at her eyes. Her emotions were totally out of control; she was feeling too many things at the same time.

This was perfect. This was the most perfect wedding that she ever could have hoped for. Her closest friends were waiting for her to walk down the aisle, she had a dress to die for, but most of all, her best friend was waiting to marry her.

She arrived at Clark's side and looped her arm through his. His breath near her ear sent shivers through her body as he whispered, "You're so beautiful."

She flashed a glance up at Clark, his eyes shining brightly with love. Swallowing hard, she attempted a smile. "You look great, too," she choked, handing Martha her bouquet.

Jonathan moved around to Clark's other side to stand as his best man, squeezing his elbow in encouragement. After nudging his father for his attention, Clark handed him the rings to hold, then covered Lois' hand with his.

Perry cleared his throat and began the traditional ceremony that they'd agreed on. Their heartfelt vows had been spoken the night Clark proposed, and they wanted those to be the ones they remembered.

They promised to love, honor, and trust, forsaking all others, in sickness and in health, till death do them part. Clark reverently placed the wedding ring, a symbol of eternity, on her hand, and smiled at her through tear-filled eyes. She laughed nervously as his ring got slightly stuck, and a hard push was needed to get in all the way onto his finger.

Perry said the closing few lines and pronounced them married. Lois looked into Clark's eyes as he hesitated, and realized that he was confused about what to do about their first kiss as husband and wife.

She could do this for Clark, for her fantasy wedding, for their guests who were waiting for the culmination of the ceremony, that final seal that symbolized their commitment to each other.

The way she was feeling right now, it would be wrong not to kiss him. Leaning ever so slightly towards him, she closed her eyes in anticipation.

His lips touched hers tentatively, and she felt a tiny thrill of sensation shimmer through her body. Another kiss, more confident this time, and a warm shiver ran down her spine, filling her with amazing feelings she had never experienced before. Her arms crept up around her newly-declared husband's neck, and she nearly melted into his arms.

His lips were warm and sweet upon hers, his gentle hands grazing her back along the edge of her low neckline. Lois allowed herself to dream, just for a teeny second, that she was in love and kissing the man of her dreams at her fairytale wedding. It was almost too easy.

Lois' curves molded provocatively to his body, her hands were tentatively stroking the fine, sensitive hairs at the back of his neck, and Clark felt a surge of desire course through his body at her touch and her lips. The emotional thrill of being declared husband and wife wasn't helping matters much either. Fighting his desire to crush her closer to his body, an annoying voice in the back of his mind reminded him of their arrangement, and Clark force himself to relax.

After one more lingering kiss, he reluctantly pulled away before his control totally slipped. It was a surprise to him how fast his carefully orchestrated composure disappeared at a simple kiss, and even more so, that Lois was willing to kiss him so completely.

He touched his forehead against the top of her head as a sudden round of applause pierced his thoughts. People... there were other people here, and...

"Clark?" Lois barely whispered his name.

A ragged breath later, he answered dazedly, "Wow... I mean, wonderful... um..."

"They're waiting for us..."

In an impulsive move, he kissed her forehead, allowing his lips to remain for a fleeting moment before pulling away and releasing her.

Too soon, his folks were hugging them both, and the clap on his back by Perry thoroughly jarred him out of his kiss-induced stupor. He would have to watch it, his control around Lois, lest he slipped completely and ruined whatever trust she had in him.

"Jimmy!" Lois exclaimed as she hugged her old friend. "Wherever did you learn how to play the guitar so well? That was beautiful!"

"Hey! Thanks! Just something I practice at night. Not much else to do. The dating scene has been rather lacking lately."

"Thanks for pitching in and playing – it was perfect."

"Not a prob!! I played this for my best friend from high school's wedding a couple months back. All it needed was brushing up. Congratulations, you two! Man, was I ever surprised to hear that you guys were getting hitched."

"Jimmy, my boy! You're a man of many talents," Perry interjected. "Now that you've resurfaced again, we need to talk about getting you on at the Star. I think things are about to turn around at that place."

"It's still unbelievable that you're editor at another newspaper, Chief. I never would have guessed it in a million years. You and the Daily Planet go together like ice cream and cake."

"The Star? The Metropolis Star?" Lois asked incredulously.

"Yup, honey! Been the editor for a couple weeks. Sorry, but I can't work for the Daily Planet again, not while it's owned by that..."

"Speaking of cake," Martha interrupted, not wanting the conversation to turn into shop talk, "these two have a little driving to do before nightfall."

"A cake?" Lois asked, surprised. "I thought we were just having some snacks."

"Of course, dear," Martha smiled. "Clark arranged it because he didn't want you to miss out. It's chocolate, too, with a tiny layer of white on the top."

"Ooooh!" She linked her arm through his and patted his chest with her other hand. "Thank you, Clark! You're so thoughtful."

"Anything for you." Clark grinned lazily, enjoying the fact that he'd already made Lois happy in their brand new marriage. "But Mom is right. We can't dawdle."

"You're really being secretive about this place." She whacked him on chest with the back of her hand. Her expression then grew pensive, and she stilled her hand on his chest. "We did it. We're really married..."

"Yeah. Mr. and Mrs. Lois Lane..."

"Clark!" she laughed, and instinctively stepped towards him to thwap him again for making a joke at her expense.

His eyes grew dark with emotion as he reeled her in for a hug instead, resting his cheek on top of her head. They remained that way for several minutes and failed to notice everyone slipping out of the sanctuary.

After pulling apart, Clark captured her hand and tugged her towards the tiny room in the back of the church. "Come on. I think we need to cut the cake. Everyone's waiting."

"Lois..." Clark murmured as they danced later. "About that kiss..."

A not-so-quiet feeling in her heart immediately settled in the pit of her stomach. "Yeah, what about it?" she hedged, not wanting to acknowledge how it affected her.

"It was for show, right? I mean... I know I was caught up in the moment..."

"Yeah, me too."

"It's our wedding, and..."

"I know." Lois burrowed her head into his shoulder, wanting desperately to repeat the performance of their wedding kiss. It had been way more than she had expected. Never had she thought that a kiss from Clark could stir up feelings like that. Maybe she did, on an unconscious level, but there was no way she was ready to recognize it.

They had practically come to a complete stop on the dance floor, and Lois realized that she was clutching him tightly.

"Thanks, Clark."

"For what, Lois?" He twirled her a bit in self-defense to keep from showing her how much he was still affected.

"For making this a wonderful wedding. I know I've asked a lot of you..."

"It's okay, honey. I understand."

"Honey?"

"Never mind. Just a slip," Clark justified to himself as well as to her. "It'll never happen again."

Lois didn't have time to reply as she was spun around in an elegant twirl. Perry came to ask Lois for a dance, and soon they were lost in the festivities.

As Lois laughed with Perry, Clark resolved that he could never do that again. No matter what the circumstances, he could never act on his feelings. It was time to put his amorous emotions aside and concentrate on being her best friend again. The indulgences were done and dusted, and he needed to retain her trust.

He returned to her side a different person. Gone were the precepts and expectations of marriage, and in its place were those of a best friend. He would be that best friend, had to be. Taking her by the elbow, it was time to leave. The brief reception was over, and it was time to depart on their honeymoon.

Lois noticed the change in his eyes. They were back to the friendly persona that she was familiar with, and she knew that Clark must have gone through some kind of internal battle. His demeanor was casual and friendly as he plopped their suitcases into the back of her jeep. Throwing him a sideways glance, she felt a twinge of disappointment at his change of attitude.

After a few kisses and promises to call when they got back, they piled into the car as rice rained down upon them.

Clark closed his eyes and lifted his face to the steady breeze. It ruffled his hair and almost made his eyes smart from its briskness, a human experience he hadn't had before. A wistful feeling filled his heart, and he knew just then why he had the desire to go sailing.

It reminded him of flying. How he missed flying! The rocking of the boat over the waves was reminiscent of the air currents in the sky as it buffeted his body. The moistness in the bay's air was suddenly like white fluffy clouds until the spray became too much and reminded him that he was just sailing close to the water. In his mind, Lois was pressed against his body, her soft female essence overcoming the mind-blowing sensation of being airborne under his own power.

He was using the wind to soar once more, and it lifted his spirits in that regard for the first time since he had lost his powers. Marrying Lois had been the highlight of his life, but he couldn't deny the need to feel the wind on his face and be carried along by its power. When he had flown, it had been under his own ability, but now the power was coming from the vessel flying over the water and the thrill from holding the tiller in his hand as the wind swept them along.

Something was different. His glasses. He'd hardly ever worn glasses when he'd flown. Lois was still down in the cabin of the boat changing into warmer clothes. Perhaps he could have a few more stolen moments before she returned.

With his free hand, he grabbed his glasses and removed them. The wind was now full on his face, and he raised the hand that was clutching his glasses, balling his fist, lifting it up towards the sky. Pushing the tiller away from him as a gust swelled, the boat lifted higher into the wind, tipping it on its side. Rejoicing at the ghost-like feeling of flying in the air once more, he was Superman again in his mind.

He heard a cry of protest coming from down below as Lois was knocked off balance when the boat heeled over. Oops! Mustn't get too enthusiastic. He returned the boat back to its former course and let the sail out a bit. Yes, sailing could help fill this particular void in his life. He lifted his hand to replace his glasses but needed to wipe his eyes first. Had to have been the spray coming over the side splashing him in the face. Odd that nothing else had gotten wet.

"We're not going to be shipwrecked or anything, are we?" Lois protested as she climbed up the stairs of the companionway. "Do you know how hard it is to go to the bathroom when you're practically lying down?"

"Sorry," Clark grinned impishly. "I just got carried away." Caught up in the wind and the moment. Eyeing her with all his concentration, he noticed she had changed into jeans and a soft-looking beige sweater that accentuated all her curves and assets. Something flared in his heart again, that old, almost painful feeling of longing and need stirred to life in his heart. He longed to gather her in his arms and kiss her, especially on this, their wedding night.

But he had to keep his feelings for her hidden, invisible. He had to be invisible. Funny how Lois had asked him that time if he would rather be invisible or fly. At least then, he could[ fly. Now he had to stuff away his love for her and hope that he didn't slip and show his feelings, lest she began to mistrust him.

Her trust was far more important at this time, and he was resigned to being both invisible and unable to fly. He would learn to deal with it. He had to. There had to be a way he could cope. Of course he would cope; Lois was his wife.

Smiling at her, he let the sail out some more, and the boat decreased its speed. "I think we're almost to this cove that I want to anchor in tonight. We'll be out of the wind, and the water should be much calmer."

He motioned to the sheet holding the smaller sail in. "Let that rope out about a foot, and we'll go down the coast and look for the cove. Shouldn't be too far."

Later, after they were anchored and had a quiet meal of deli sandwiches that Martha had packed for them, it was time to set up their sleeping arrangements for the night. Lois watched with curiosity and a bit nervousness, as Clark removed some of the boat's cushions from the seats in the cabin and laid them on the floor of cockpit, creating a cozy place for them to lay down.

"I thought since we didn't have any videos to watch, we could watch the stars. And talk," he added for emphasis. "Maybe with a bit of luck, we'll both have a falling star to wish upon."

"So we'll be seeing stars anyway. On our wedding night," Lois blurted, attempting a light-hearted joke.

"Guess you could say that." Clark grinned nervously as his throat tightened in response to her remark. He plopped some pillows, along with a couple of blankets, on the cushions.

"Would you like some wine before we go to bed... settle in? I think I could drink something, if you could."

"That sounds nice." Could be just what he needed to calm his nerves. "I'll open a bottle."

A few minutes later, Clark put the companionway boards in their place so he and Lois could lean against them and not fall into the cabin. Propping the pillows in place, he leaned against them, wondering how they were going to get past the awkwardness of lying next to each other, under the stars, in the moonlight.

Lois sensed his uneasiness, and knowing Clark, knew he was fretting over how she was feeling about this whole situation, especially after their wedding kiss. She scooted next to him and picked up his arm to place around her shoulders.

"Just like we do when we're watching videos," she said, cuddling next to him.

Clark breathed a sigh of relief. They had been very physical with each other as friends, and as long as she didn't mind, then what was there to be nervous about?

He scooted them down a bit so that their shoulders were propped comfortably on the pillows, then handed her a glass of wine. The stars twinkled above them, as though shining their approval.

"So what do you think about being married so far?" Lois asked, still curious about how Clark was dealing with their marriage of friendship.

"I think it's pretty spiffy so far," he grinned. "Just look at us. We're out in the middle of the scenic outdoors, camping on a boat. We never did anything like this before."

"Spiffy, huh," Lois replied, frowning at him. "I guess it's a good thing we couldn't haul any hay aboard. You might start craving corn."

"Hmm... corn. Do you want to drive down to Kansas and go to the Corn Festival again this year? I might even be able to win you a girlfriend for that bear of yours."

"Nope. He doesn't need anyone else. CB is all mine."

"Should I be jealous? And what does CB stand for?"

"I'm not telling, but it's a mute point. On second thought, I think he does need a girlfriend."

Clark nudged her shoulder. "Come on. Tell me. What is CB short for?"

"Clarkie Bear... But if you tell him I don't need him anymore, you're getting slugged."

"Why don't you need him anymore?"

"Because I have you."

Clark's arm tightened slightly as he leaned his head upon Lois'. He smiled wistfully while pointing out a falling star to Lois. He felt her sigh beneath his arm and rubbed her shoulder thoughtfully.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked, feeling the burdens of the past few weeks quietly slip away.

"Oh, I'm sure you don't want to know," Lois said quietly.

"Come on, it's okay," he reassured her. "I want to know."

"It's just that seeing those stars and watching the night sky, I wonder if Superman is all right. He left so suddenly, and knowing he's without powers, I just wonder what he's going to do now. I mean, we have each other, but who does Superman have? Did he say anything when you talked to him?"

"Superman is starting a new life as a regular Joe. I don't think we need to worry about him anymore; he's going to be just fine."

"You sound so confident about this. Are you sure he's going to be okay?"

"Yeah." Clark turned his head slightly, smelling the fresh scent of his new wife's hair as he continued to rub her shoulder gently. "There's something to be said about starting over. Superman will be... just fine."