Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73091 08/12/10 01:55 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Preview of 40

Mayson Drake stared at the grainy, low-resolution picture on her computer screen. She had managed to find two Melbourne newspapers - The Age and The Herald Sun. From there, it hadn't been hard to find a list of reporters, which had led to sports reporters and, finally, female sports reporters. There was one - Lois Lane.

She was, according to the picture, an unremarkable-looking woman, lacking sophistication. Which was what you'd expect from a sports reporter - and an Australian, at that.

Mayson sniffed.

Yet, by all accounts, this woman had captured the hearts of both Scardino and Kent.

Mayson shook her head in bewilderment. Whatever Lois Lane's charms, they were patently undiscernible from the photograph.
Feedback goes here.

Thanks,

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Lucky you're a good flier, huh?"

"Yeah, lucky."
Tee hee hee.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well, it was about time this would happen. Lois was correct, all the 'unsaid' expectations were that Lois would eventually have to be the one to relocate.

If you think about it, Clark actually wouldn't have as hard a time relocating as Lois would. Being Superman he could do his Metropolis patrols and then be back in Melbourne in minutes. His folks live in Kansas, so there's no ties to Metropolis there. His only real friends at the Planet are Perry and Jimmy. And the fact that Mayson is there is a good reason not to be.

Also this would give Superman a good reason to be more 'worldly' in his helping. He could do something of a random rotation of patroling the large cities of the world, just to let criminals know that no place is really safe, and he would still be a radio report away from major disasters just like now.

But the crux of the problem does come down to... is being a sports reporter really a worthy profession for a Lois Lane? I will give her the substitute family and support system that the Hawthorne team has given her. And her need to 'save' her team is very much in character. But doesn't the Herald have a city desk that she and Clark could work at? She could still barrack for her team but her reporting/investigative skills would be used for more important stories.

She's already proved that she 'can do it' as a female footy reporter, but maybe with Clark it's time for some new challenges.

Tank (who doesn't mean to belittle what Lois does, but has always thought that being a sports reporter is somewhat beneath a Lois Lane)

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Agree with Tank in that Lois' blow-up and voicing of the "unsaid" expectations had to have happened, especially given her thoughts somewhere in the beginning of the instalment.

How could they be married and live on different sides of the world? How were they going to manage to spend time together when they had to accommodate two jobs, never-ending emergencies requiring the powers of a superhero, and different time zones? How long until the snippets of time together - within the confines of her unit - simply wouldn't be enough?
Wonder how they are going to work through all that Lois voiced at the end? I have to say that in the previous parts, they were so happy and ecstatic to be getting married and to make their relationship permanent; however, I don't think they really thought everything through - like being married, living on opposite sides of the world, and even though Clark can be with Lois in a second, he still has a job and emergencies to take care off, and can thus only spend a limited amount of time (if at all on some days) with his wife.

smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lois’s blowup was very interesting. In my view she’s both right and wrong. (But due to the circumstances, more wrong than right.)

She’s right in that she’s the one who seems to be having to give up everything. While that seems unfair, the nature of their relationship is that if they are going to be together one of them will have to do this.

Now, I think Lois is wrong in that based on what I remember she never gave Clark the chance to be the one to give up his life in Metropolis. From the first moment, she stepped forward and insisted that she would be the one to come to him. Because of that, her current position is very unfair to Clark. If they had discussed it and Clark had insisted that she be the one to make the sacrifice, then her position would be reasonable. Again, as I remember it, Lois never let that conversation happen.

I think this explosion is pure stress on Lois’s part and once she calms down I think she might regret her words. They can sit down and discuss this and, if Lois is really so committed to Australia, then Clark has to make a decision. But for now, Lois owes Clark a HUGE apology. She ambushed him without cause.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, the inevitable relocation fight. It doesn't matter if it is continents away in Superman's case or two cities away in most average peoples cases. It has to happen to clear the air and fear of change is great in most people.
OTOH, if Lois worked at the Planet, she could make sure Mayson kept her hands off Clark.
But I agree Lois wasn't really right in her accusations of Clark and I think she knows it. That's why the door slamming and her leaving abruptly.
But they have to clear the air.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Everyone who replied has made good points. I think I agree with everyone here. Lois, it's not going to be easy to be Superman's wife in any case, and you are sure being asked to give up a lot of things, but your outburst and accusations were a bit sudden.

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part. Loved the Lois blowing up at Clark bit.

I'd love to see Clark Kent move to Melbourne, Australia permanently.

It really makes good sense.

After Mayson assaults Superman with Kryptonite at his wedding hopefully he will see the light.

With his ear for languages it would be no trouble for him to pick up the correct accent.

Framework4
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Maybe the blow up was really about the choice she made when she was a kid to stay behind when her family went state side.Any way, shake the cobwebs loose Lois, girl your life is calling.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sad! Now they will both be just miserable until they can talk this out. I can just see Clark hardly able to concentrate on his work or anything else; hope Mayson doesn't take advantage but I imagine she will if she notices! I think both Clark and Lois will hardly even be able to sleep until they can see each other to talk it out. hyper

EvelynC
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
oy. aaaaargh!!!
i really hate mayson

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave
Perry chuckled. "Whoa, she must mean a lot to you if you're willing to fly to Australia twice in two weeks."
Well, he does have a slight advantage. Especially, now that he doesn't have to fly on the Planet's payroll.
"Lucky you're a good flier, huh?"
Does he know?
Clark went to a travel website. Half an hour later, he'd found one flight that arrived in Melbourne on the morning of the rally and another that left late the following evening.

A wave of excitement swept over him as he finalised the booking.
confused What now? Is he really flying or just buying the tickets to leave some sort of paper trail. But that would still not hold up, now would it?

The four quarters of football slipped by almost unnoticed. Ten minutes before the end of the game, Lois turned off the television and rose from the couch. She still hadn't eaten - she couldn't face food. Instead, she prepared for bed.
Boy, she's really down frown

"No," Clark said quickly. "I will speak to Ultra Woman, and when we have decided, I will inform everyone."
Headline in the Digger: 'Superman is Ultra Whipped'

"The wedding rings are being supplied by Mazik's Jewelers," Linda put in quickly.
And Linda's making sure the ad-deal's getting honored.

"The victim was English?"

"Yes."

"What do you know?"

"He was here legally. He'd been here for six years. In that time, he managed to avoid all other records."

"Employment? Taxes?"

"Nothing."

"International income?"

"Nothing I can find."
About 55, a bit on the heavy side but with a strong build? Gray-white hair. Goatee? What did Nigel do to tick Lex off?

"It seems weird that someone could die and leave no hint about how he lived," she said. "Have there been any further leads?"
And Lois is already trying out for being an investigative reporter?

And then she blew up. Out of no where. With all sorts of fears and worries and assumptions. Oh boy. And she certainly has a point about Clark staying in Metropolis. Although, this is a down-under fic, so Clark could be the one moving. huh

"Lois, we can't part like this. We just can't."

She pushed past him. "We don't have any choice," she said. "You can't go out of the door - and I have a job to do. It might only be a game of football, but it's my job."

Her underlying insinuation was unfair. "I have *never* implied that what I do is more important than what you do."
So, the wedding's off then? huh

From there, it hadn't been hard to find a list of reporters, which had led to sports reporters and, finally, female sports reporters. There was one - Lois Lane.

She was, according to the picture, an unremarkable-looking woman, lacking sophistication. Which was what you'd expect from a sports reporter - and an Australian, at that.
Too bad Chris wasn't on the paper longer before that. Now *that* would have been fun laugh

Yet, by all accounts, this woman had captured the hearts of both Scardino and Kent.

Mayson shook her head in bewilderment. Whatever Lois Lane's charms, they were patently undiscernible from the photograph.
Well, Scardino probably didn't know any better. The only woman around, plus he immediately went into the bed of the first hussy he met in Metropolis, so he can't really be taken as a measure.

More on Monday? grovel

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Iolanthe Thanks! smile

Tank For me, the problem with Clark moving to Melbourne is that he wouldn't necessarily hear of emergencies in Metropolis - or when he did hear of them, it would be too late.

He would become more and more aware of emergencies in Melbourne and, before too long, he would be making more appearances in Australia than the USA.

Lois and being an investigative reporter - in reality, there is a lot of investigation that goes on in footy. Unfortunately, most of it gets very sleazy and the public hear much more than we need to about the private lives of footballers etc. There is also corruption, rule-breaking, power plays etc. So, Lois *could* do a lot of investigation - she could nail the bad guys and bring their deeds into the open. Perhaps she already does - but I really didn't want to go there in this fic. (Not to mention the problems if I even hinted at a real person who had done something wrong.)

Thanks.

DW When a relationship happens quickly, it's easy to concentrate on all the amazingly good bits, but the rubber ( laugh ) has to hit the road somewhere. This was it! Thanks, DW.

Bob

In my view she’s both right and wrong.
I think that's true of many arguments.

The whole 'meeting together secretly' sounded like fun initially - but I think the limitations would become tedious quite quickly. That's what I was trying to get across.

Thanks for you FDK, Bob.

Artemis Thanks - people do fear change - and even when that change is a huge positive, it isn't always easy to give up things that mean a lot to you.

Ann Thanks - yes, it was sudden - which is probably why Clark was so stunned.

Framework Clark moving to Melbourne - I still see problems with that ... his loyalty to Perry and the DP being just one. I'm not saying he shouldn't/won't, but I don't think it would be without issues.

Thanks.

SJH I think she liked the cobwebs! Thanks.

Evelyn Thanks for your comments, Evelyn. No relationship is completely smooth sailing - this one has been until now, but, as you said, if they get through it, they will be stronger.

Sarah In answer to your FDK for 40 - there will be a happy ending! Thanks.

Michael

Headline in the Digger: 'Superman is Ultra Whipped'
rotflol

More on Monday?
Yep! I hit a bit of a slow point around 43 and 44, but 45 and 46 came together quite quickly.

Thanks.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard