Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72968 07/30/10 01:33 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Preview of 37

Clark unfolded from her and nodded towards the bench. "Since it's Friday night, I guess your plans are fish and chips and watching the footy?" he said.

"Only if I don't get any better offers."

He smiled. "Do you feel like flying?"

"Ooh, yes. What do you have in mind?"

Clark plunged his hands into his pockets and contemplated his shoes. Lois could see his smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. When he had it mostly under control, he looked up. "Am I allowed to keep it a secret?"
FDK goes here!

Thanks.

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! I never would have guessed it -- they're getting married as Superman and UltraWoman in 3 weeks!!! mecry

They are so sweet together. love And I love Lois' directness with Clark -- awesome! And I bet that surprise destination they're flying to will include a proposal; except they said they couldn't even get engaged yet as L&C. ??

EvelynC
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
"Please don't say you want to do what I want - I know that. I want to know what *you* want."

"I want to marry you," he said.

She jolted back, but then the grin that he loved so much oozed through her shock. She chuckled, and her hand rose to curl gently along his jaw. "I like it when you're direct," she said.
Aaaawwwwww!!!! smile1

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
razz Doesn't that qualify as stalking, at the least? Shouldn't he be able to get an injunction against her? Forcing her to keep at least 100 feet distance from him and his usual surroundings at all time? Sure, she'd have to quit her day job then, but hey, I'm sure Lex's solicitation business could need another high-priced employee.

Oh, and before I forget again. Is there any chance you're going to add the plot from Lucky Leon/Resurrection? At least, as far as Mayson is concerned. Would make great a headline: 'Reporter killed while digging up bodies'

And last but not least, there's the twist with Chris. That one. Well, consider me floored. And Lois got a twin/younger version of herself. clap Btw, I liked getting Banjo's POV on this. Lot's of insight. And will she be a love-interest for Dan? On the other hand, she could also turn out to be a psychotic sociopath, trying to imitate and then overtake Lois's life.

Michael

Edit: And the preview screams 'formal proposal'. angel-devil

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Excellent part smile1

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have a lot of trouble with the 'Superman/Ultrawoman' marriage thing. It has nothing to do with who is sponsoring the deal, though that is rather unseemly.

I know it was implied that some sort of governmental 'gratis' was secured to allow this to happen, but the fact remains that Superman and Ultrawoman, don't really exist as people. There are no birth certificates, no records of any sort, nor are blood tests possible.

It would be like Ronald McDonald marrying Flo (the annoying gal from the Progressive ads). Two easily identifiable enties, but not real people. They are merely roles being played by someone else. The same is true with Superman and Ultrawoman. Both are roles being played by the 'real' people.

I would think for the government to allow this masquerade someone high up in the government would have to be 'assured' as to the relavant identities of the two participants; such as the president interviews Superman and Ultrawoman, finds out who they really are and is convinced of their bonofides. Then he could grant the necessary beaurecratic dispensations which would make this farce possible.

Really, I don't see any reason why Lois and Clark would even want to be involved with something like this. It proves nothing regarding their love for each other, nor will it ever be a real wedding. The only wedding that should matter to the two of them should be the one between Lois Lane and Clark Kent.

This is merely a sham that the Star will use to boost their image and circulation. Why would Lois and Clark want to be a part of that no matter what restrictions they put on it. Where's the gain for them?

This is no way indicates any displeasure for the story. I still am enjoying reading it very much, I just don't 'see' the relavance of such a fantasy wedding.

Tank (who also thinks that Chris is not going to be 'Lois' friend')

Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry Tank, but I think you are wrong. peep

In a world that largely operated the way it should, you would be correct. However, I've seen too many things that are all about people with influence (usually money) make all kinds of stupid and illogical things happen.

If the right people went to key officials and waved money and promises in front of them with a promise that "it will be good for your political future" just about anything can be made to happen.

Besides, no one knows that Superman is a sham identity. I always thought it was one of the premises of the Superman universe that most people think Superman has no other identity. Sure they know Ultra Woman is someone else, but allowing her to wed in that identity would be as a gesture toward respecting Superman's private life.

Sorry, but... well, I've seen too many things that are at least as illogical as this might seem.

I'll bow out now. I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Edit:
Sorry, Corrina, I thought I'd already left FDK on this section. I'm still enjoying the story. I was surprised at Lois's apparant enthuiasm for the weddeing idea.

Also, I thought Clark wanted his proposal to be "special." Doesn't he realize that he just proposed?

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great and surprising chapter, Corinna. I to am surprised at the wedding, but I see Lois' point that it is a way for them to get married and still be miles (literally) apart.
Can't wait for the next part.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
I'm having a really hard time 'getting' this version of Mayson. She's so very different from canon Mayson. So meanspirited, so selfish, so manipulative. Yes, canon Mayson had moments of all of these, but they weren't her driving motivations. This has been bugging me for several chapters now, that I just don't understand her.

I don't think it's bad that Superman and Ultrawoman are getting married as a publicity stunt, but I do think Clark and Lois are taking the wedding waaaaaaay too seriously. It's reasonable enough that they link their public personas in such a permanent manner, but there's no reason for them to consider it a 'real' marriage between their private personas. (I'm not against using it as an excuse to 'honeymoon', though). What are they trying to prove?

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Evelyn As I writer, it's nice to throw in a surprise sometimes!

Uhmm - if Lois got pregnant, that could be hard to explain!

Thanks, Evelyn.

Ann Thanks for the FDK, Ann. I'm not going to comment on it other than to say I really appreciated it because it shows me that there are both some surprises coming and some things that are expected.

Michael Michael, your FDK is a mix of highly amusing stuff that I have no intention of touching (the super bridal outfits) and some speculation that comes close to how this fic will unfold. Thanks.

DW Thanks, DW.

You completely caught me surprised that Chris Torrens was a girl
Yeah - I thought it would be fun to have everyone assuming the new reporter would be male - so, of course I needed a name that could be used for either gender.

Christine was a popular girl's name here in the 60s/70s - most of the ones I know call themselves 'Chris'.

Tank

Where's the gain for them?
Good question.

The obvious answer is that if Hawthorn don't merge, Lois is tied to Melbourne for at least a couple of years. I think it would be very OOC for Lois to campaign for something she cares about and then just walk away when the real work is starting.

Clark has his own loyalties - to Perry, to the DP and to establishing Superman - initially in Metropolis, and then perhaps in wider areas.

I think a marriage in the near future between Lois and Clark would be very unsatisfactory. Who wants to get married, only to live on different continents for the foreseeable future?

There are other reasons why Lois embraced this with such certainty ... and we'll get the those later.

Thanks!

Bob As someone who has no knowledge of, and no influence in, how deals are *really* done, my assumption is that money/power can buy almost anything.

As you said, this isn't how it should be, but here in Australia at least, my suspicion is that secret deals are done regularly between those who have power and/or massive amounts of money.

"It's not what you know, but who you know," is a popular saying.

Also, I thought Clark wanted his proposal to be "special." Doesn't he realize that he just proposed?
This is a 'Down Under' fic, Bob - things are allowed to be backwards!!

Artemis I'm glad Lois's decision made sense to you. The future is uncertain - marrying Clark (in any guise) brings some certainty.

Grace

Regarding Mayson, no doubt I've pushed her beyond what canon ever showed us, but ...

Yes, canon Mayson had moments of all of these,
... the elements were there, I've just extrapolated them.

Re the wedding - I don't think either Lois or Clark could do something as serious as say wedding vows to each other, make promises about forever, and then say it meant nothing.

I would really struggle to write that with any believability.

For *them*, it's not just a publicity stunt.

Thanks for your FDK, Grace.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you reading and commenting.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
When I started fantasizing about Superman marrying Lois Lane back when I was a kid, I took it for granted that it would be Superman who would marry Lois, not Clark Kent. I quickly changed my mind about that, but I still recognize the idea of Superman officially getting married (and hopefully to Lois) as one that has resonated through the Superman mythos for decades. Another candidate bride for the spandex-clad hero has traditionally been Wonder Woman, and obviously I always hated that idea. But with Superman marrying Ultra Woman, we get a sort of combination of those two "classic" ideas - Superman is marrying Lois, and he is marrying a mysterious spandex-clad woman with a secret identity.

I, too, most certainly prefer Clark marrying Lois, but I don't mind seeing the "Superman getting married" idea being taken seriously for once. But only if Superman is getting married to Lois, or better yet, to Lois's secret identity.

And just to back up what I said about the decades-old idea about Superman marrying Lois Lane...

[Linked Image]

Ann

P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
First off, i'm enjoying the story very much. Sorry i haven't commented before. For some reason i didn't start reading the story till a couple of weeks ago and i've been playing catch up. I plan to visit some of the links posted after the stories this weekend when i have more time. The descriptions of the places make them sound lovely. And the tidbits of Austrailian language and culture are fascinating.
The international science fiction convention Worl dcon will be in Australia later this year. Aussiecon 4. I wish i could attend even more after reading this story. I'm not too crazy about the Superman/Ultrawoman wedding idea but maybe it will grow on me. It does seem strange to me that Lois would offer her resignation to her boss to work against the merger. For one thing, what would she live on? Does she have inherited money that hasn't been mentioned in the fic or something? Anyway i will be looking forward to additonal chapters.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ann When I was plotting this fic, I was playing around with ideas of doing things differently. Superman marrying Ultra Woman seemed appropriate in the circumstances.

Thanks, Ann.

Patti Thanks for the FDK, Patti.

It does seem strange to me that Lois would offer her resignation to her boss to work against the merger.
It was an impulsive decision - she was so shocked, she didn't think about all the other things you mentioned.

In a way, I was paying tribute to the many Hawthorn fans who totally disrupted their lives to save their club.

Aussiecon 4 is being held in Melbourne Sept 2-6. smile

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard