"Clark, we can't spend out last evening together having dinner with Ron and Barb."

"Yes, we can, honey," he said. "I know how pleased you were when Barb called and invited us."

"But it's our last night," she said plaintively.

"We need to go," Clark said. "Your relationship with Ron and Barb is too important to risk it by cancelling at this late stage."

"They would understand."

"They don't know me. I want them to be happy about you being with me."

"Are you sure it's all right?"

"Yes," Clark said. "Once I'm back in the States, we won't be able to do anything like that."

"I'm going to miss you," Lois said.

"We still have a day and a half," he said.

She nodded forlornly. They both knew it wasn't enough. A lifetime together wasn't enough. A day and a half didn't even begin to salve their need to be together.

"Do you want to get a coffee?" Lois asked.

Hating that he was going to disappoint her again, Clark despondently shook his head. "I didn't even tell Browny I was going out. I need to get back. I need to tell him about this."

Lois reached for him and held him close for a long moment. "See you tonight," she said.

"Lois?" he said. "Lois, I hate seeing you sad. I said I wouldn't hurt you again."

She smiled, though he could see every ounce of effort it required. "It can't be helped," she said.

"You know I'll visit you? Every single chance I get?"

She nodded.

"I love you."

"I know," she said. "That's why this hurts so much."

She kissed him and then turned away. "See you tonight," she said.

He watched her walk away, wishing he could pick her up and take her away to a place where they could be together forever.

Part 35

Clark knocked on Lois's door. When she opened it, he reeled as the vision before him stormed his senses. She was smiling demurely ... her hair had been gathered up, fully accentuating the sleekness of her neck ... and she was wearing a satiny red dress that boldly proclaimed her curvy femininity.

"Lois," he said, knowing he was scrambling for coherence.

Her smile broadened - which he took as an invitation to keep staring.

The dress sat wide enough on her shoulders to show off the creamy clarity of her throat and collarbones. The red fabric curved into her waist and then flowed past her hips to hang gracefully around her knees. Her perfectly shaped lower legs dipped delicately to tiny ankles.

Clark could see about a hundred places that he very definitely wanted to kiss.

"Lois," he said, glad that he had chosen to wear his dressier black trousers, a pale blue business shirt, and his navy jacket. "You look incredible."

Lois completed what he now realised had been an equally attentive exploration of him. "Wow," she said. "Wow."

Clark stepped forward and enclosed her in his arms. She felt subtly different - soft and delightfully womanly - and she smelled like enchanting vanilla. "I'm glad I didn't wear jeans," he said.

"I figured if we can't have our date, at least I could dress up a little so you have something to remember when you're back in the States."

"Honey," he said. "Even without this, you'll never be far from my mind." He reached into his pocket, withdrew a small cherry-coloured jewellery box, and held it towards her.

Her gaze leapt from the box to his eyes, and her smile began to curl.

"It's not what I'd really like to give you," Clark said. "But I hope it will match your outfit."

She hesitated, looking at the box as if she didn't quite believe it was for her.

"Take it," he encouraged.

Lois took the box and gently lifted the lid, revealing a necklace - its fine white gold chain looping through a petite pendant featuring pink-tinged diamonds clustered into a floral design. She looked up to Clark, her face illuminated with pleasure. "Aw, Clark."

"Do you like it?" he asked - needlessly.

"I love it."

"I know that when you think of Hawthorn, you don't think of flowers," Clark said. "But this was the closest I could get to a hawthorn flower."

She laughed. "This is a hawthorn?"

"I couldn't find anything in brown and gold," he said. "So I hoped this would suffice."

"It's beautiful." Lois removed the necklace from the box with fingers that weren't quite steady. She gave it to Clark and turned around.

He laid the pendant against her throat and fastened the clasp at her neck, discovering a few more places he wanted to decorate with his kisses. She turned - smiling and radiantly beautiful.

"Lois," Clark said. "The first moment I saw you, I was captivated, but tonight, I can't even look at you without my heart threatening to burst from my chest."

She smiled - a little shyly - at his compliment. "Let's go, shall we?" she said.

He nodded and offered her his arm. "My lady," he said.

||_||

Both Ron and Barb answered Lois's knock. The four of them stood for a suspended moment, and then Barb stepped forward and enfolded Lois in her arms in a manner so motherly Clark felt a lump push into his throat. Ron put his arms around both of them, and, as Clark watched them together, he realised something - as important as Hawthorn was to this 'family', nothing that happened to the football club was going to threaten the bonds they shared.

When their hug dissolved, Lois looked towards Clark. "Barb, Ron," she said. "This is Clark Kent. I love him."

Clark held out his hand to Barb, trying not to look too taken aback by Lois's introduction. Barb glanced at his hand, smiling widely, and then she reached across and gave him a brief hug. Barb was taller than his own mom - and slightly stockier - but there was something about her that reminded him of Martha Kent.

Clark shook hands with Ron and said, "Pleased to see you again, Ron."

"Thank you for coming," Barb said. "Lois told us that you have been unexpectedly asked to return home tomorrow. I'm really glad I've had this chance to meet you before you go."

"Thank you, Mrs Wilton."

"Barb," she said. "I'm called Barb by everyone except Seb."

His name hung awkwardly between them. "How is Seb?" Lois asked.

Ron moved behind them to shut the door. "He's well," he said. "He's working hard on the big exhibition next month. He's really inspired by the new opal coming out of Coober Pedy."

They moved into the warm, elegant house. "Come with me, Lois," Barb said. "It'll be just like old times being in the kitchen together."

Lois giggled. "With you cooking and, at the same time, trying to keep me from ruining everything?" she said.

Barb smiled at the memories. "I wouldn't have it any other way," she said.

"Clark's a whiz in the kitchen," Lois said as the women walked away.

When they'd gone, Ron looked at Clark. "Sit down," he offered.

Clark sat on the comfortably worn leather couch.

Ron perched at the other end. He folded his hands and contemplated them for a moment. "I've never had a daughter," he said, looking up. "So I'm new to this, but the first time Barb took me home to meet her parents, her father sat me down and asked me if my intentions towards his daughter were honourable." He laughed nervously. "I expect that is a bit out of fashion these days."

"I don't think caring about Lois's future is old-fashioned," Clark said. "And I know how much you and your wife mean to Lois." He smiled, trying to settle the slight flutters in his stomach. "So, if you were to ask, I would tell you that I love Lois with all of my heart and that my intentions towards her are entirely honourable. I want to spend my life making her happy, and I will never knowingly do anything that will hurt her."

Ron smiled with obvious relief. "I reckon I got my answer," he said.

"Yes, sir," Clark said.

"Ron," he said. "Call me Ron."

Clark nodded. "Thanks."

"Thanks for looking after my girl."

"All my life," Clark vowed. "I will look after her all of my life."

"Seb said you were a good 'un."

"He did?" Clark's couldn't keep the surprise from his question.

"He did."

"Will they be all right? Lois and Seb?"

"Yeah," Ron said with a wistful smile. "Seb adores Lois - he's more distraught about them being on different sides than he is about anything that might happen to Hawthorn. He swaggers around like a big-shot surfie with his blond streaks and colourful clothing, but he falls off his perch mighty quickly if Lois so much as frowns in his direction." Ron chuckled. "It's been like that since he was fourteen years old."

"And ... he approves of Lois being with me?" Clark asked.

Ron nodded. "He said you were a grouse bloke." He grinned. "But that won't mean a thing if you hurt Lois."

"I won't hurt her," Clark said.

A call came, informing them that the meal was ready, and both men stood and moved towards the delicious aromas emanating from the kitchen.

As they ate the hearty first course of beef stroganoff, Barb and Ron asked questions about Clark's home and job. Neither had ever visited the United States, but their interest in his home country facilitated an easily flowing conversation. Clark wasn't sure if there had been a prior agreement not to discuss the situation at Hawthorn, but the subject was never broached.

When they had cleared the plates, Barb brought a huge strawberry-and-cream concoction to the table.

Lois, probably seeing Clark's reaction, grinned. "Do you know what it is?" she asked him.

"No," he replied. "But I don't need to know its name to figure that it's going to taste delectable."

Barb smiled. "It's a strawberry pavlova," she said.

Clark grinned at Lois. "Here's another recipe I need to take home to my mom."

Barb cut a generous wedge and expertly lifted it onto a dessert plate. "I'll give you the recipe before you leave," she said as she handed it to Clark.

"Thanks," he said. Closer examination revealed that the pavlova was a meringue base, filled with lashings of thick cream and topped with plump strawberries.

He looked up to find Lois grinning at him. "This is a family favourite," she said. "In summer, Barb makes them regularly."

"I couldn't resist tonight," Barb said as she gave Lois a loaded plate. "Despite the weather, you being here seemed like a good enough reason to make a pav."

"All we need is Seb here, and it'd be perfect," Lois said. She poked her spoon through the creamy mountain on her plate and then looked up at Barb. "Is Sebby OK?"

Barb nodded. "He'll be fine. This exhibition of his is going to be huge. It'll raise the Sebastian Stone profile - not only here, but overseas as well."

Lois turned to Clark. "Seb calls himself Sebastian Stone," she explained. "And his boutique jewellery business is called 'Stoned'."

Clark decided to leave unsaid the immediate connotation that sprang to his mind. Instead, he filled his spoon and savoured his first taste of pavlova - which was even better than he'd anticipated.

"In high school, one of Seb's best mates overdosed," Barb said quietly. "Since then, Seb has campaigned against drugs. He called his business 'Stoned', hoping to highlight the issue. He donates a percentage of his takings to drug rehabilitation and displays anti-drug posters in his shop."

"That's a great thing to do," Clark said.

Lois nodded. "That's Seb," she said gravely. "He dresses like a kid. Most of the time, he acts like a lair with not a thought in his head beyond catching waves, but when he cares deeply about something, he just quietly goes about trying to make things better."

Clark squeezed Lois's hand - trying to communicate his hope that the proposed merger wouldn't damage her relationship with Seb. She smiled in response.

Then silence fell - probably in tribute to the pavlova.

When they had finished eating, Clark helped Barb clear away the meal while Ron and Lois made the coffee. Clark felt as if he had known the Wiltons for a lot longer than a few hours. The atmosphere was reminiscent of the farmhouse kitchen in Smallville where so many of his favourite childhood memories were centred.

After coffee - with hugs and thanks - Lois and Clark left the warm, convivial atmosphere and drove back to Richmond, feeling like they were slipping out from under an insulating cloak that had protected them from tomorrow's separation.

"Are you OK?" Clark said.

"Yeah," Lois said. "I had such a good time tonight. It was great being with Ron and Barb again. But I'm dreading tomorrow."

"I feel exactly the same," Clark said. "I'm so glad I was able to get to know them. But tomorrow ..."

She nodded and then gave him a wan smile. "There's nothing we can do about it."

"I've been thinking about the practicalities," Clark said. "Very early morning Metropolis time is early evening Melbourne time. I could leave Metropolis about five in the morning and get here about seven in the evening."

"And then stay until you need to get back for work?"

"Hopefully, we'll get a few hours together."

"Depending on Superman."

"Yeah."

Lois glanced across to him. "Won't you get tired? Missing all that sleep?"

"I'd rather miss sleep than miss seeing you."

She smiled. "*Do* you get tired?"

"Not easily. Getting up at five certainly isn't going to be any hardship at all."

"Thanks," she said. "I'm guessing you won't come in the suit?"

"No," Clark said. "We can't risk Superman being seen outside your unit."

"We also can't risk Esmeralda seeing Clark outside my unit."

"Is it all right with you if I just come in? At superspeed?" Clark asked. "It might be a bit off-putting at first - having me just appear."

"It'll be fine," Lois assured him. "I assume you'll check first to make sure I don't have visitors?"

"Yeah. Is that OK?"

"Sure, it's OK." She grinned. "Though if anyone is in my unit around the time you're expected, I'll be doing everything I can to get rid of them."

"Good," Clark said. Talking about being with Lois lifted his spirits a few degrees, but nothing could alleviate the sting of leaving her.

"Ron and Barb liked you a lot," Lois said. "I just wish Seb could've been there."

"He sounds like a good guy."

"He is." She pulled up at red traffic lights and looked across at him. "I have another question."

"Ask away."

"When we were talking about Seb calling himself Sebastian Stone, I wondered if you had another name. Do you know your name from Krypton?"

"Kal-El," Clark said.

"Kal-El?" Lois repeated.

"My father's name was Jor-El, and my mother was Lara."

"So, 'El' is like a surname?"

"Yes. I am from the House of El."

The lights turned green, and Lois accelerated forward. "How do you know this?" she asked. "Did Jor-El and Lara put notes in the spacecraft?"

Clark smiled. "Not notes exactly. There was a globe with me in the spaceship. My parents - Martha and Jonathan - kept it for me. It did nothing for years; then, when I was fifteen, it spoke to me."

"Really?"

"It was a recording of my father - he told me about the coming destruction of their planet and how they believed that sending me to Earth was my only chance of survival. Everything I know about my heritage comes from the globe."

"Do you still have it?"

"Yes. It spoke five times in all - over a period of six months. Then, it never spoke again."

"How wonderful that your biological parents found a way to give you some of the answers you needed."

"Yeah."

"I'm glad you know."

"So am I. It meant I didn't feel so ... " Clark grinned suddenly. "... alienated."

Lois smiled and put her hand in his. "Do you still feel alienated?" she asked. "Even just a little bit?"

Clark squeezed her hand. "No," he said. "Different, yes. Alienated, no."

"But you used to?"

"Yes."

"When did it change? When the globe began speaking to you?"

"No, after that." Clark smiled at the memory. "I was at Torquay beach, and an amazing lady put her arms around my neck and looked into my eyes and told me she loved me. That was the moment when all my differences no longer mattered."

Lois smiled. "Aw, Clark," she said. "That's such a sweet thing to say."

"I'm not just saying it," he said. "It's the absolute truth."

They pulled into the driveway of her unit, and Clark jumped from the Jeep to open Lois's door. She stepped out and into his arms.

He bent low and kissed just in front of her ear. The vanilla scent was strong there. "I'm not coming in," he said.

He felt her disappointment. "You're not?"

"No," he said. "If I come in, I'm not sure I will have the strength to leave."

She paused. "OK," she said.

"Thank you."

"Kiss me goodnight?"

He didn't reply verbally. Instead, he kissed her. Having firmly set his boundary - he would not go into her unit tonight - Clark gave in to the compulsion to brush a question along her lip with his tongue. Instantly, Lois's mouth opened in dizzying enticement.

Clark inched forward into her mouth and she met him. Their mouths and tongues indulged in an exploratory dance that caused the world to spin. He put one hand on her neck, loving the touch of her skin under his palm. He kissed her extensively ... intimately ... joyously ... yet with a tinge of desperation.

When their kiss subsided to a poignant conclusion, Clark clutched Lois against his body. Her heart was thumping in loud unison with his. "I have to go," he murmured against her ear.

"I know," she said, her tone laden with regret. "I will *never* forget that kiss."

"Me either." Clark traced the silky outline of her neck with the pads of his fingers, revelling in her exquisite softness. "Thank you for tonight - for dressing up and letting me meet your family. The memory of how you looked will stay with me forever."

"Thank you for the Hawthorn necklace."

He kissed her and spoke without fully disconnecting his mouth from hers. "Think of me whenever you look at it."

"I'll be thinking of you all the time."

He kissed her again and moved away to allow her to lock the Jeep.

At her doorway, Lois turned. "I love you, Clark," she said.

He kissed her one final time, and she went into her unit.

Clark turned and walked away. Before he arrived home, he realised that he didn't want to face packing up the unit that had been his home for five weeks. Getting out his suitcase would accentuate the reality that he was leaving Melbourne ... leaving Lois.

He found a dark corner and shot up into the air.

||_||

"She sure is pretty."

Clark, in the Superman suit, looked down into the face of the elderly woman he had lifted from the overturned bus.

"Are you all right?" he asked. "Did you get a knock to your head?"

She gave him a surprisingly youthful grin - full of zest for life. "No," she said. "My ankle got caught under the seat in front, but that's all. And she sure is pretty."

"Who's pretty?" Clark asked as he carried her to the area where the paramedics were checking the injured.

"Your girl. Ultra Woman."

"Oh." Clark felt the beginnings of colour fan his cheeks. "Ah ... thank you."

"You're very lucky."

Clark permitted himself a ghost of a smile. "Yes, I am," he said.

She patted his shoulder in maternal fashion. "I think it's wonderful that you've found someone. Just be happy - you and your girl - and don't worry what anyone else thinks."

"Thanks." He gently lowered her to a waiting seat.

She detained him with a hand on his arm. "We were talking about it at the Bridge Club, and we all think it's wonderful that you're here - and having a girlfriend means it's more likely you'll stay."

Clark crouched beside the woman. "Thank you," he said.

She smiled again. "Thanks for getting me out of the bus."

Clark straightened. "Look after that ankle."

"I will," she promised.

Clark nodded farewell and returned to the bus.

Later, as he flew back to Melbourne, he thought again about his conversation with the elderly lady. She had been the first to mention Ultra Woman - but not the only one. Others had spoken about her. Some had asked questions. Some had made comments.

But, without fail, they had all been positive - welcoming towards him and supportive of him being with Ultra Woman.

Being Superman was no longer something he endured in order to help people. It was quickly becoming something he wanted to do - something he enjoyed.

And it was all because of Lois.

||_||

Clark clung to Lois as the final call for his flight rang in his ears. The *final* final call.

He held her, empathising with her inner battle to keep her tears contained as he looked into her glistening eyes. "I'll be back as soon as I can," he promised.

Moving away, he ran his hand down her outstretched arm. Their hands met, arms extending to the furthest point, and soon, only their fingertips were touching. "I love you, Lois," Clark said.

He took the step that severed their connection.

Her first tear broke free and skittered down her cheek. "I love you," she whispered.

Then he turned and walked into the jet bridge.

||_||

Twenty-four hours later, Clark alighted from the plane at the Metropolis International airport. He felt emotionally tired and physically drained from the hours of confinement.

And he missed Lois.

As he left the terminal, he pulled out his cell and turned it on. There was a message from Lois. He opened it and read - 'I love you, big guy.'

He smiled. He missed her so much he could feel his heart twisting.

He waited for his battered suitcases to appear and then walked towards the cabs. Passing a newsstand, he glanced in that direction, automatically seeking the Daily Planet.

His eyes, however, didn't get past the Metropolis Star.

Emblazoned on page one was a huge colour photograph of Superman and Ultra Woman - posing after the interview.

And the headline read - 'SUPER WEDDING!'

||_||

Glossary

Grouse - great.

Lair - someone given to showy looks, behaviours. Also, the verb - to lairise.

Pics -

Lois's necklace - these are earrings, but imagine a necklace with this design - http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L12214515b.jpg

Strawberry Pavlova - http://www.ozeigo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pavlova.jpg

Pavlova recipe (use own choice of fruit) - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7271/classic+pavlova