Mayson Drake rolled the rock fragment between her thumb and fingers.

She had decided - contrary to her more combative instincts - to leave it in her apartment when she interviewed Superman.

Other than the satisfaction of witnessing his shock - and possible pain - there was little to be gained from alerting him that some of the powerful rock remained on Earth.

And Linda King would be there - the wannabe hussy from the Metropolis Star who had taken opportunism to new levels. The less she knew, the better. Mayson certainly didn't want the Star speculating that not all of Trask's green rock had been in the spacecraft.

Superman wasn't going anywhere ... time was on her side.

This interview would be merely research. The more Mayson discovered about Superman, the more she could finetune her strategy.

She replaced the green rock in the gouged-out pages of a drab-looking book. She put the book in her safe, locked it, replaced the panelling across the hole in the floor of her closet, neatly arranged three pairs of shoes on top, and then closed the door.

Her time would come.

Part 32

Clark, with Lois in his arms, landed under the globe, and an audible gasp rose from the throng of people pressed against the temporary barriers that circled out from the entrance to the Daily Planet.

"Superman!"

"Superman!"

"Who's that with him?"

"Is she an alien, too?"

"Trask was right - there are more of them."

Clark slowly slid Lois to her feet and took her hand in his as he surveyed the vastness and restless energy of the gathered crowd. Two dozen security guards were dotted along the barriers, poised with arms wide to discourage anyone who might be thinking about charging forward.

Clark knew that the time and place of the interview had been publicised, but he hadn't translated the knowledge into an expectation of this level of fevered interest.

He turned to Lois, and she met his glance with a calmness that steadied him. "Let's do this," she said, low enough that only he could hear.

He nodded, and together they entered the Daily Planet building and walked towards the elevator. When the doors opened, they saw it was empty. Clark and Lois stepped into it, still holding hands.

"Are you OK?" Lois said.

"I'm glad you're here."

"We can do this," she said. "We've planned well. We're prepared. We're a team. It's game day - and we're ready."

Clark allowed himself a quick smile - and then pulled his face back to the impassive mask that had always been Superman's trademark. He didn't let go of Lois's hand, though.

The elevator stopped, and there seemed to be an unnecessarily long pause before the doors grated open to reveal Mayson and Linda. They both hastily stepped forward, and then, in almost comical unison, their eyes slid sideways, and their mouths gaped.

Clark felt a surge of confidence. Not only were he and Lois two-on-two, but they had already seized the advantage. "Ms Drake," he greeted. "Ms King."

With what looked like considerable effort, they hauled their eyes from Lois. After a short silence, Linda said, "Superman, thank you for agreeing to this interview."

Mayson recovered enough of her composure to step forward, the move a blatant attempt to establish her position as the senior interviewer. "Come this way, Superman," she directed crisply. "We will conduct the interview in the conference room."

Mayson turned and walked away, her high-heeled shoes tapping an abrupt beat on the floor. Clark noticed she had chosen one of her shortest skirts and a tailored jacket that cinched around her tiny waist. He squeezed Lois's hand and hoped she would understand his message - Mayson was no competition for Ultra Woman.

With a saccharin expression that made Clark think of a vulture about to swoop, Linda gestured for them to precede her. He and Lois crossed the newsroom, passing a substantial percentage of Daily Planet employees who had managed to find reason to be in the bullpen.

In the conference room, there were three white leather tub chairs set equidistant around a low timber table. On the table, two tape recorders lay in readiness.

Clark strode to the nearest chair and seated Lois. He stood behind her - one hand resting on her shoulder - and waited for the two reporters to determine their next move.

"Ah," Mayson said in a brusque, authoritarian tone, "We need another chair." Without waiting for a response, she flounced to the door, swung it open, and loudly directed that a chair be provided.

Seconds later, a young copyboy arrived with a fourth chair. He hesitated, earning a scowl from Mayson, and then quickly positioned the chair at the table. Clark moved it closer to Lois and sat down.

Mayson took the chair directly opposite. "As previously agreed, the interview will be recorded," she said.

Linda scrambled into the remaining seat as Clark nodded. Mayson and Linda reached to the table and started their tapes. "How are you affected by the green rock?" Mayson asked.

"Excuse me, Superman," Linda said, her attention fixed on him and pointedly bypassing Mayson. "The Metropolis Star has the first question."

Mayson's eyes had dropped to her notes, a picture of sudden disinterest.

"We weren't expecting you to be accompanied," Linda said.

It wasn't a question. Clark considered maintaining his silence but instead decided to press home the advantage of Lois's surprise presence. "Is there a problem?" he asked evenly.

Mayson's gaze shot to Lois. "Who is -"

"Would you introduce us?" Linda cut in. "Please?"

Clark ignored the hostile glance that sizzled between the two reporters. "This is Ultra Woman," he said, stating it as stark fact.

The eyes of both women shot to his left. Lois stared right back, seemingly unmoved by their scrutiny.

"And she is?" Mayson asked with about as much warmth as an arctic blast.

"Ultra Woman," Clark said.

"Is she your sister?" Mayson's eyes slithered sideways to Lois, and her top lip curled with unconcealed disdain. "Or your mother?" she added spitefully.

There was no sign of even the slightest reaction from Lois, and Clark silently applauded her composure. "She's my girlfriend," he said firmly.

Both Mayson and Linda gawked. Apparently, the idea of Superman having a girlfriend hadn't occurred to them. "Your girlfriend?" Mayson gasped.

Linda lifted a constraining hand in Mayson's direction. "Is your girlfriend - Ultra Woman - an alien?"

"No."

"Are *you* an alien?" Mayson demanded.

"I am from another planet."

"Which planet?" Mayson fired at him.

"Krypton."

"Krypton?" Mayson echoed.

"Why did you leave Krypton?" Linda asked.

"Because it was facing certain destruction."

"So you came to Earth?" Mayson said.

"Yes."

"What about the rest of your kind?"

Clark took a moment before replying, wanting to slow down the volley of questions. Mayson and Linda were like two lionesses fighting over a scrap of meat. "To my knowledge, none of them survived."

Mayson eyed him for a stretched moment. "Do you really expect us to believe you are the only one who came to Earth?"

"It was a desperate situation," Clark said. "Attempting to make the journey to Earth was speculative. I was extremely fortunate."

Before Mayson could ask her next question, Linda spoke. "And, having arrived on Earth, you met ... Ultra Woman?"

"Yes."

"Why did you bring her to this interview?" Mayson asked frostily.

"I brought her because this interview is about my life."

"And she is a part of your life?" Mayson asked dubiously.

"Yes."

"How long have you known her?" Linda said.

"Long enough to be very sure of my feelings for her."

Mayson sniggered. "Are you in love with her?" Linda asked.

"Yes."

"Can an alien be in love?" Mayson sneered.

"Yes."

Mayson straightened in her seat and crossed her legs. It was her 'I'm taking control here' pose. "Our newspapers are paying a significant sum for this interview," she said coldly. "And the expectation is that you answer more fully than merely 'yes' or 'no'."

"Surely the quality of the answers is, to some degree, the responsibility of the interviewer," Clark said mildly. He heard the tiniest in-breath from Lois and took that as hushed support.

"What do you love about Ultra Woman?" Linda said.

"I love her loyalty, and her sincerity, and her honesty," he replied.

Linda smiled - which Clark took as a warning sign. "And, surely, her trustworthiness?"

"Obviously."

"You trust her completely?"

"Yes."

"No doubts?"

"None."

"By bringing her here, you have subjected her to the machinations of the media," Linda explained in a patronising tone. "She has just become the most sought-after interview in the world. Publications will be scrambling to offer big dollars for an explicit tell-all interview with Superman's girlfriend."

"I trust her."

"Obviously," Linda said. "Of course, everyone has their price, and only time will tell whether your trust is misplaced."

"If she's human, why the need for an alias?" Mayson said.

"For precisely the reasons already alluded to by Ms King," Clark said. "Ultra Woman wishes to be free to live her life without having to deal with the hype of being Superman's girlfriend."

"Clearly, you have the same tailor," Mayson sniped.

It wasn't a question, so Clark didn't bother with an answer.

"Why Earth?" Linda asked. "Why *this* planet?"

"Because it is similar enough to my home planet that I can survive here."

"And how convenient that you found a country that speaks your language," Mayson said.

"Quelle langue préféreriez-vous j'utilise?" Clark asked.

Mayson almost covered her surprise with a thick layer of derision. Linda however, smoothly responded with, "Parlez-vous français?"

"Oui," Clark replied. "Je peux parler -"

"So, you're not human?" Mayson said. "And please try to remember that this is an *interview*, not a circus to showcase your language skills."

"I'm Kryptonian."

"But you're dating a human woman?" Mayson made it sound like she was accusing him of a heinous crime.

"Yes."

"Do you think that is fair to her?"

"I think that is her decision."

Mayson's eyes narrowed. "Why did you agree to this interview?"

"Because the actions of Jason Trask indicated that my desire to remain anonymous had possibly contributed to widespread suspicion of my intentions."

"What *are* your intentions?" Linda asked.

"I want to use my powers to help people."

"Why?" Mayson shot at him.

"Because I have the strength and the speed to save lives."

"And what do you get from it?"

Clark stared at Mayson, letting the viciousness of her question reverberate around the room. "I like helping people," he said. "I can't stand by and watch someone be hurt when I know I can make a difference."

"Do you intend to continue helping people?" Linda asked.

"Yes. In fact, my intention is to help even more than I have in the past."

"Why?"

"Initially, I had misgivings about how I would be received by the people of this planet. This concern proved valid when Jason Trask, driven by his unfounded allegations, took hostages and threatened human lives in a desperate attempt to confirm his theories."

"Do you think people still believe the legitimacy of his assertions?" Mayson asked.

"I believe that, in time, people will realise I'm not a threat to their safety and will welcome my presence and the assistance I can bring."

"What do you want in your future?" Linda asked.

"What I want is not significantly different from everyone else," Clark said. "I want to be able to make a contribution and to be accepted by those around me." He glanced towards Lois. "And ... I want to be with Ultra Woman."

"It's hard to accept you when we know so little about you," Linda noted.

"I'm doing this interview to address that situation," Clark countered.

"What do we have to fear from you?" Mayson asked.

"You have nothing to fear from me."

"You're strong enough to lift a train, but you claim we have nothing to fear from you?"

"Everything I have done is to help - never to harm."

"Describe yourself," Mayson said. It sounded like an order.

Clark paused. "I'm strong, and I'm fast and -"

"Don't tell me what you can do," Mayson snapped. "Tell me who you are."

Lois cleared her throat. "Perhaps I could answer this question," she suggested in a quiet voice - laced with a believable yet vaguely generic American accent.

Mayson turned to Lois with an expression that suggested she doubted whether Lois could string together three words coherently.

"Superman genuinely cares about people," Lois said. "His desire to help is not based on what he gets, but what he can give."

"Why should we believe you?" Mayson said harshly.

"You asked; I answered," Lois replied evenly. "What you believe is up to you."

With a dismissive scowl at Lois, Mayson turned back to Clark and struck like a viper. "What effect does the green rock have on you?"

He and Lois had discussed this at length. "According to a story you wrote, you've already asked me that question. And received my response."

"Would you like to comment on that interview?"

"No," Clark said. "Would you?"

Mayson stared at him, her eyes cold and hard. "You can still fly?"

"Yes."

"And you still have all of your powers?"

"Yes."

"How can that be possible when Trask loaded all of the green rock into the space capsule and launched it into outer space?"

"Clearly, it's possible," Clark said. "As witnessed by many people, I flew here this morning."

"Is Metropolis your permanent home?" Linda asked.

"Yes."

"Do you envision a time when you will use your powers to help in other cities? Other countries?"

"Yes," Clark replied.

Mayson leant forward. "If the green rock doesn't have an adverse effect on you, why were you lying on the ground, seemingly in great pain, while Trask disclosed the conclusions of his investigation?"

"I believed Trask's state of mind to be such that he was capable of carrying out his threats. I didn't want to do anything that would jeopardise the lives of the hostages."

"Was there a need to writhe around in agony?" Mayson asked scornfully.

Linda turned to Mayson. "Your attitude is inexplicable," she said. "Have you forgotten that you were one of the hostages? And that it was Superman who rescued you?"

Mayson stared coldly at the Star reporter. Linda deliberately turned away from Mayson and towards Lois. "May I ask you some questions?" she said with exaggerated obsequiousness.

Clark tried to smother the sudden surge of his apprehension. Lois, however, appeared relaxed. Even her heart rate was normal. "Yes," she said.

"Superman said you're human."

"I am."

"You have a real name? And a normal life - other than being Superman's girlfriend?"

"Yes."

"Where did you meet?"

"I was working, and I was accosted by a group of youths. Superman stepped in to ensure that I wasn't hurt."

"How chivalrous," Linda commented.

"Going to such efforts to conceal your identity suggests that you have doubts about the longevity of your relationship," Mayson said.

"Not at all," Lois said with certainty. "I love Superman, and I'm very sure of his feelings for me. However, his work as Superman does not need to impact my job - just as I'm sure that you wouldn't wish for your boyfriend's life to impinge on your career."

"What *is* your career?" Linda asked.

"This interview is not about Ultra Woman and her life," Clark said firmly.

Mayson stared stonily at him. "Then why did you bring her?"

"She is a part of my life, and as such, she graciously agreed to accompany me today. But her life - apart from me - is beyond the scope of this discussion."

"So, questions about your relationship are permitted?" Mayson asked.

Clark sensed danger in her question, but Lois answered "Yes" before he could reply.

For the first time, Mayson smiled - a cruel, triumphant smirk. "Have you consummated this relationship?"

Clark felt as if the colour from his cape had leapt to his face and congealed there. Before he had begun to formulate a reply, Lois answered.

"What do you think?" she said. She gestured towards Clark, managing to encompass most of his body. "If your boyfriend looked like this ..."

Mayson scowled. Linda looked uncomfortable. Lois, however, looked like she couldn't have been more relaxed if she'd been sitting on the beach sipping champagne.

"Any further questions?" Lois asked casually into the delicately poised silence.

Mayson opened her mouth, and Clark held his breath.

"So, despite him being alien, he's normal enough that you're physically compatible?" Mayson said. "He's not ... impotent?"

Lois's eyes swept lingeringly down the length of Clark's body, and then she directed her gaze to Mayson. "He's ... *super*."

Clark felt as if he was within a few degrees of disintegrating into a slither of blue and red goo and slipping off his chair into a blob of mortification. If he got out of this without melting his hair gel, that would be a bonus.

"The suit *does* come off?" Mayson pressed.

Lois nodded. "It comes off."

"You've actually seen him when he hasn't been wearing the suit?"

"Yes."

Linda leant towards Lois, her face alight with eagerness. "The Star will give you $500,000 for a tell-all interview."

"One million," Mayson said immediately.

"One and a half million."

"Two."

"Two -"

"Ladies!" Lois exclaimed loudly.

They both looked at her, mouths adrift.

"This is my only interview," Lois said firmly. "After today, I intend to return to my life - which includes supporting Superman in what he does. I doubt there will be a need for me to comment publicly on any matter."

"If that *is* the case," Linda said sceptically, "Is there anything else you would like to say now?"

"Yes," Lois said without hesitation. "Trask thought he could control Superman with threats and contrived accusations. You think you can control him with monetary enticements. If you ever gain even a rudimentary understanding of this man, you will realise that the only thing that will ever control Superman's actions is Superman's heart. And his heart is incorruptible - it will always pursue what he knows is good and right. Superman will never waver from that."

Mayson reclined in her chair and contemplated Lois. Clark got the uncomfortable feeling that Mayson had taken Lois's statement as a personal challenge.

Linda, sensing she now had the floor, asked, "Has Superman proposed?"

"He's my boyfriend," Lois replied. "If he'd proposed and I'd accepted, he would be my fiancé."

"Have you discussed marriage?"

"Yes, we have."

"I'm not even sure it would be legal," Mayson scoffed.

Linda turned to Clark. "If you love her, why haven't you proposed yet?"

"I'm very comfortable with our relationship," Lois said. "If I'm not pressing Superman to propose, you don't need to."

Linda retreated with a tight smile. "Would you be willing to pose for our photographers?"

Clark winced inwardly. He and Lois had discussed this, but he hadn't been able to dispel his fervent hope that photographs would not be requested.

"Yes," he replied. "For a few minutes."

Linda rose from her seat and opened the door to the conference room. A moment later, Jimmy Olsen and a woman Clark didn't know joined them. When Jimmy saw Lois, his eyes goggled and his mouth dropped. Clark didn't know whether he wanted to grin or to go over and firmly close Jimmy's hanging jaw.

He did neither. He moved to where the photographers directed him to stand in front of a white screen that had been placed there in anticipation of a photo opportunity. Clark crossed his arms, squared his shoulders, and allowed them to take the photos.

Then, with a shy glance at Lois, Jimmy asked haltingly if they would mind posing together. Lois shot Jimmy a smile that would have melted sterner men than the young photographer. She stood next to Clark - not touching, and their pose reminiscent of the formality of old sepia portraits.

"Would you mind putting your hand on her shoulder, Superman?" Jimmy asked.

Clark unfolded his arms and placed a hand on Lois's shoulder.

The cameras clicked again, and then Clark glanced to the clock on the wall. To his surprise and relief, their allotted time was up.

"Thank you," he said as he stepped away from the white screen.

The female photographer walked out of the room, followed by Mayson and Linda. Jimmy didn't move - his attention appeared centred on his camera, but Clark sensed that his hesitation was a ploy to gain a few extra seconds with Lois.

She cleared her throat, and Jimmy looked up. Lois faced Clark, put one hand on his chest, and gazed intently into his eyes with a love-drenched smile. Jimmy raised his camera and took his shots.

When he lowered his camera, the look on Jimmy's face far surpassed his infatuated expression at his first sight of Lois. Now he looked like he'd just fallen in love.

Clark felt a moment of sympathy. He had tortured himself with fears that Lois would never return his love - he knew exactly how Jimmy felt.

"Thanks," Jimmy said, favouring Lois with a diffident smile.

Hand in hand, Lois and Clark walked through the newsroom and to the elevator. Many people - people he knew well - stopped their work and stared at them. His instinct was to turn away lest they recognise their colleague under the superhero outfit. Instead, he glanced down at Lois and allowed himself the suggestion of a smile.

She squeezed his hand.

The elevator doors opened, and they stepped in.

When the doors had closed, Lois stretched up and placed her mouth next to his ear. "Are there cameras in here?" she whispered.

Clark had already checked long before, having used the elevator to change into the suit on more than one occasion. "No," he said.

She turned to him and folded her arms around his neck. "Well done, Superman," she said. "You were magnificent."

"You, too," he said. "We're a great team."

"I knew we could handle a pair of reporters."

Clark chuckled - and felt the tight constraints of the Superman guise drop away. "I think you just captured Jimmy's heart."

"He seems like a nice kid."

"He is," Clark said. "You gave him the best photograph of his career."

Lois smiled. "We had to give the Daily Planet some advantage. After all, you need a job."

"And Perry needs a break."

Lois nodded.

The elevator clanged to a stop, and they both straightened and emptied their faces of all expression.

They stepped from the elevator and walked outside. Under the globe, Clark hesitated long enough to acknowledge the screaming, waving crowd and then lifted Lois into his arms and flew away.