OP Offline
Top Banana
smile1 Comments here please. smile1

Bob

#72731 07/14/10 10:54 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Lovely, Bob.

Lois working out that Superman had grown up in America was inspired.

I loved the whole section where they're discussing Superman's personal life. This bit was - for me - the best line in the entire fic.

Well, you’d be surprised how hard it can be to impress someone when they don’t know about this ...
clap

And fascinating that one subject he wouldn't talk about was Clark. I wonder what Lois will make of that?? laugh

I'm glad there's more to come.

Corrina.

#72732 07/15/10 02:17 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part, but now I'm all curious to learn what happens next smile

#72733 07/15/10 04:55 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Ditto to both Corrina and DW's comments, including Corrina's favourite line and DW's eagerness for part two.

It was nice to see S1 Lois and Superman having a (relatively) open conversation.

Joy,
Lynn

#72734 07/15/10 07:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story, Bob. Keep it coming. Maybe even a Part 3? After 2, of course.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#72735 07/15/10 08:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Great part! I'm willing to bet on Lois working the secret out in part 2. Ditto, btw, what Corrina said about her favorite line. That was mine too. And I think -and hope I'm not mistaken- that it will be a key element to the happy ending we should be getting
laugh

Looking forward to part 2!

Cris
#72736 07/15/10 11:39 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Great part, Bob!

If you really do tell nothing but the truth, it would mean you don’t live in a world I understand. No one can tell the perfect truth all the time. At least no one I’ve met. Maybe there’s a saint somewhere that does, but I’ll bet that they don’t have any friends.”

He smiled at her reply. In a more cheerful voice he asked, “What would be the other option?”

Lois moved her hand back to her own lap and let her voice turn serious. “That you were lying right now.”
How true! I'm glad Clark was honest with her and Lois acknowledged it and thanked him for his honesty.

While I was waiting for the evening to end, I got thinking about how easy it was to tell that people were from different countries and regions. Even the Europeans that looked as American as I do acted differently.
Absolutely! When I was backpacking all over Europe with a friend back in 1973, I marvelled at how easy it was to pick out all the Swedes we met. Not even the Danes or the Norwegians looked like the Swedes - I think it had to do with the way Swedes carry themselves, their posture, their style of walking, their gestures, the expressions on their faces - there was just no mistaking them.

So if Superman really looks and "feels" perfectly American, it is a very good guess that he has spent many years in America, and indeed he has probably grown up there. (Although Christopher Reeve looked Supermanly enough for all his own Britishness, if you ask me.)

It was as if he were talking about Superman as somebody else. In a flash of insight, she realized he was. She’d just seen the other guy. The man that she didn’t know. The person who was so lonely growing up. The boy who grew up to be a hero.
Wow! For a moment there, I thought that Lois had figured out that Superman was Clark Kent! She hadn't, though. But she had realized that Superman was only a disguise and that the other person was the real one. Good enough!

She wished she were the woman that he wanted to impress.
:rolleyes:

“Superman…”

He paused and turned back to her without returning to the roof. “Yes, Lois?”

Now that he’d stopped, she didn’t know what to say. As hard as it had been to hear the things he’d said, just talking to him without an emergency or a crime had been nice. Finally she simply said, “You be careful out there.”
Hah! Hill Street Blues, eh? laugh

Looking forward to part two, Bob!

Ann

#72737 07/15/10 06:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh I really love this one! More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#72738 07/15/10 08:36 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Corrina,

The idea of where Superman grew up was partially inspired by your own story and thinking about Clark in Melbourne. (I promise that I’m going to try to do better about leaving feedback.) Superman couldn’t arrive from another planet and immediately be as culturally acclimated as he is in the series.

Yes, what to say about Clark when you've promised to tell the "real" truth. I’m sure that when he agreed to tell the truth, he didn’t anticipate Clark Kent being on the agenda. The reality is that he could never really tell the truth about Clark. If he’s agreed to only truth, then once Clark came up, he had to either say nothing or tell the whole truth. It was a challenge to say as much as he did and have it be completely truthful. For example, Superman can’t refer to Clark as “he” because it clearly indicates another person.

DW:
Thank you for the note. We’ll see where we go.

Lynn:
So you liked that line too? That’s interesting. Sometimes I can’t tell what parts are going to stand out. In many way’s I wish that could have been Clark’s POV to see inside his head when Lois was asking about his relationships.

Lois and Clark had their moments in S1. I have another S1 WIP now where… Well, never mind. Lets just say that I wish they would have communicated better. They had their chances, but it just didn’t work out.

BTW: Thanks for the grammar help today. You’ll see that in Part 2.

Hi Artemis:
I’m glad you are enjoying it. As for a part 3, well, let’s see what happens in part 2.

Christina:
That “hard to impress” seems to be a popular section. Good, because… Well, never mind.

You think this will have a happy ending? From me? I’m shocked that you might expect a happy ending in one of my stories. (Just as much as Captain Renault was shocked to discover that gambling went on in Rick’s Café.)

Ann:
I’ve been wanting to write a “Fly Hard” story for nearly 2 years. From the first time I saw the episode I’ve been of the opinion that seeing Lois and Lex together through the evening should have been enough to shock Clark into realizing that his approach to them wasn’t working. It took this long for me to think of a situation that seemed at least reasonable for Clark to have an honest talk with Lois about Lex. (My original idea never worked. That’s why it took so long. I didn’t want to let go of a poor concept.) The whole “tell the truth” issue is funny. Supposedly, it’s one of the foundations of Superman’s character but he constantly lies to the person he cars for most.

Being able to tell that Superman was raised in the US based on his behavior and patterns of speech seems obvious after the fact. For this fic, it was a combination of influences from Aussie Rules and a few other places.

As for picking up that Superman was talking about his other identify, I believe that there needs to be more than just the idea that there was someone else for Lois to realize that he is Clark.

As for the “be careful out there” quote… What better send off for those who place themselves in harm's way. And it was inspired by HSB.

Laura:
Thanks for the note. It won’t be too long for the rest.

Thanks everyone. One more note, I have to acknowledge that this line:
“When I'm not flying around in the suit I'm just an ordinary Joe.”
was inspired by Pam Jernigan’s great “Interview with Superman” series.

I hope to have the part 2 up no later than Saturday.

Bob

#72739 07/18/10 05:28 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What an intriguing setup. One simple conversation and now Lois's world is upside down without all the hurt between Lois and Clark.

He smiled sheepishly. “Not really. There is a woman that I care about very much. But… Well, you’d be surprised how hard it can be to impress someone when they don’t know about this…” he offered, pointing at the ‘S’ on his chest. “When I'm not flying around in the suit I'm just an ordinary Joe.”
This line most definitely is a winner clap

/off to comment on part 2/

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#72740 07/28/10 05:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh I loved this soooo much!!!! dance

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
#72741 07/29/10 05:42 PM
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Michael,
You said:
One simple conversation and now Lois's world is upside down without all the hurt between Lois and Clark.
That seemed like it could have happened so many times. There were so many chances and they missed all of them. wallbash

bellarata:
Thanks. I’ve been a bit defensive on this one. I’m glad you enjoyed it. smile

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard