Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72616 07/10/10 12:37 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Gotcha! laugh Bet you didn't think I'd take the TOGOM angle, did ya?

Comments welcome!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#72617 07/10/10 02:10 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by mozartmaid:
Gotcha! laugh Bet you didn't think I'd take the TOGOM angle, did ya?
You got me, indeed! In fact, I had planned on making that very comment in this post. I don't think I have ever seen a more original take on ToGOM, either.

Like his name had been on her lips, a prayer, a supplication, a painful balm that cut and healed at once, he spoke hers. “Lois…”
Wow. What a powerful sentence.

Incidentally, have you ever read either Marvin Kaye's "The Incredible Umbrella" or Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series? Both involve a character getting inside of various pieces of literature and interacting with the characters therein. Both are fun reads, as is your story.

I am very eager for part three. BTW, I realize that you do not yet know precisely how many parts there will be to this story; but do you have a rough idea?

Joy,
Lynn

#72618 07/10/10 12:13 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well done! Really like your angle on the TOGOM theme and how your heroine is reacting and interacting with our characters.

Can't wait to see where you take them and us! clap

EvelynC
#72619 07/10/10 09:14 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Very good take on TOGOM. I like your suggestion that it was a lack of courage that prevented Superman from going back Lois as Clark Kent and from being the hero that he needed to be:

He was living in an icy fortress, in the middle of nowhere. A cold, heartless place, the very opposite of Clark’s warm personality. And he was hiding. From himself, from Lois, from his parents, and the people of Metropolis who needed him. Had Superman become a coward?
And I love that you used my previous post and actually built Superman a Fortress in the Arctic! As a child I was slightly horrified that Superman would be spending time in a place like that.

I like the setup of the story. I like the mixture of a comic book world, an LnC world and reality. I like the mixture of time periods, the 1930s, the 1990s and today.

Go easy on Abbey, though. Don't give her a bigger role than she deserves. Remember that LnC doesn't usually give Lois and Clark a "deus ex machina", an intervening outer force that solves their problems for them. Let them handle their problems as much as they can on their own, and respect their characters. I thought that this was out of character for Lois:

Lois looked up, momentarily forgetting who the girl was, but the bagel reminded her. She liked this girl for some reason, so she decided to give her a break.
“So, what would you like to ask me?” Lois asked, spreading her hands out in a gesture of openness.
I don't think Lois would be so accomodating to a young girl she has never seen before.

And here Abbey wants to solve Lois's problem for Lois:

<<Hold it together, Miss Lane. I’ll find him for you.>>
This isn't what LnC is usually about, and I'd much prefer it if Lois gets to find Clark on her own, or if Clark decides to come back to her on his own.

Abbey may still be a catalyst, but I hope she will be more of an observer than an agent in the rest of the story.

But this story has a lot of potential, so I'm looking forward to more!

Ann

#72620 07/10/10 09:52 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by TOC:
And I love that you used my previous post and actually built Superman a Fortress in the Arctic! As a child I was slightly horrified that Superman would be spending time in a place like that.

reply---->Thanks... Actually, I already had that written when I read your comment smile

Go easy on Abbey, though. Don't give her a bigger role than she deserves. Remember that LnC don't usually give Lois and Clark a "deus ex machina", an intervening outer force that solves their problems for them. Let them handle their problems as much as they can on their own, and respect their characters. I thought that this was out of character for Lois:

Lois looked up, momentarily forgetting who the girl was, but the bagel reminded her. She liked this girl for some reason, so she decided to give her a break.
“So, what would you like to ask me?” Lois asked, spreading her hands out in a gesture of openness.
I don't think Lois would be so accomodating to a young girl she has never seen before.

And here Abbey wants to solve Lois's problem for Lois:

<<Hold it together, Miss Lane. I’ll find him for you.>>
This isn't what LnC is usually about, and I'd much prefer it if Lois gets to find Clark on her own, or if Clark decides to come back to her on his own.

Abbey may still be a catalyst, but I hope she will be more of an observer than an agent in the rest of the story.

reply--->Yeah, that's the whole problem with including an 'outsider.' But don't worry... Abbey does sort of fade as destiny takes over. laugh

But this story has a lot of potential, so I'm looking forward to more!

Ann

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments, Ann! And as for your previous question, only about two more postings, actually... I have it all complete!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
#72621 07/12/10 07:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looking forward to more. This is a really inventive take on TOGOM. And I've always had a fondness for "breaking the fourth wall" fics.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard