Print Thread
#72487 07/03/10 10:56 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi mozartmaid,

An excellent first fanfic. I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

Joy,
Lynn

#72488 07/03/10 07:45 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That's a fine first fic, Mozartmaid!

You're doing a very good job of making Lois realize that there were times when it would have been very hard, probably impossible and also quite unwise, for Clark to reveal his double identity to her. It's no wonder he didn't tell her while she threw himself at him as Superman and said that she would have loved him as an ordinary man, when she had just rejected him as an ordinary man. I'm glad she also realized that he would be naturally wary of telling her for quite some time after her rejection of him as Clark.

But I'm glad she also realized that he had wronged her quite seriously when he didn't tell her his secret before he froze her (which might have killed her) in order to save his parents:

<<But what if I hadn't survived yesterday?>> she sputtered to herself silently. <<Why when I was putting all my trust in him, could he not do the same for me?>>
Good question, and personally I think there was no excuse for it. There was perhaps a reason for it, which would have been that Clark was so flustered and upset at the whole situation, when a kidnapper was threatening to kill his parents and he himself might have to risk killing Lois in order to save his parents, that he wasn't thinking clearly. Perhaps, and this is an uncharitable thought, he feared that Lois might walk away from her magnificent offer if he told her he had deceived her.

So because Clark is only human even though he is Kryptonian, he was perhaps unable to deal with all his fears sufficently well to tell Lois his secret before he froze her. But personally I think he had no reason, none whatsoever, not to tell her his secret before he proposed to her.

Your Lois is a bit more forgiving than I would have been after Clark proposed to her in a way that meant that he kept being dishonest with her (or at least, that he acted as if being honest about himself to the woman he asked to share his life wasn't particularly important).

But I think you have captured the Lois that most folcs want to see, and you have made it possible for us to see her thought processes and sympathize with her. And your fic is well written. So welcome back with more fics, Mozartmaid! smile

Ann

#72489 07/03/10 08:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi mozartmaid thumbsup It was fun to see some of Lois’s thoughts during this time. I’ve always felt like we were shortchanged in not seeing more of what she went through between the time she realized who Clark was and the time of his proposal.

I’m one of those that believe Clark should have told her his identity and then proposed. Don’t forget that at the beginning of this episode, that was what he was trying to do. He had the right idea. He should have stayed with that plan. If he loves and trusts Lois enough to propose, then he should trust her enough to love him as Clark even if she knows the whole story.

The way the series offers this picture makes his only defense the one you presented. He wants Lois to love him, not Superman. However, it’s a weak position at best. I think you’ve done well with what this scene offers.

I’m glad you made the effort to post your first fic. It was very enjoyable.

I look forward to seeing your next one.
Bob

#72490 07/04/10 04:50 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great first fic!

Looking forward to others you will write! smile

#72491 07/04/10 05:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! Thanks guys for the lovely and insightful comments! I have to say that Teri Hatcher really inspired me to write this one. Watch her carefully in this scene (end of Season 2, not the shortened rehashed version at the start of Season 3)... there is a whole lotta subtext going on, which is why I felt the need to write this bit. Dialogue-wise, Clark sort of dominates the scene, and we really should have had a moment 'with just Lois' sorting through some of her emotions when all the pieces fall into place... anyway I too wish there had been more time between her finding out about Superman and a proposal, but I also wanted to try to make the leap and include the title of Season 3, ep 1 at the end of this scene smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard