Sorry it's been so long since I posted a new part. My muse has been about to drive me insane! I can't type fast enough to keep up with the ideas. cat Anyway...

Enjoy!

++++

From there, Lois boarded a plane bound for Africa. The illegal African diamond trade seemed like the next juicy story waiting to be told.

Smuggling diamonds across the borders of South African countries was indeed a juicy story. It was also a very dangerous one. She met a few people that become invaluable to her survival. She also stumbled onto the hot topic of children being forced into the rebel army. That story earned her a broken arm and a scar above her left eye.

And Lois’ article, by no means, shut down the practice, but it did make the right people aware of the situation. She headed back to the states, away from a politically divided country that she couldn’t begin to change.

She glanced down at the photograph she held. It was of her and a South African boy, just twelve years old. He was so young and innocent. Yet, he’d been forced to do unthinkable things after he was drafted into the rebel regime. Lois had worked with his father, Rafiki, and her contact to free the boy, but so much damage had been done. The spark of youth had been doused in his beautiful dark eyes by men so inhuman she wondered how they looked at themselves in the mirror in the mornings. She’d saved this child, his life at least.

Peponi- his name meant heaven. Had his parents known the hell their son would some day face?

A heavy sigh punctuated the quiet of the plane cabin, and she peered out into the darkness. She’d been so distraught following this particular case. And just when she’d begun to wonder if what she’d done had really made a difference, she’d gotten encouragement from an unlikely place.

{{{{Her suitcase was packed; she was ready to head home. Yet, the horrible images of young boys turned killers still filled her mind. Just as she was about to leave her hotel room, her cell phone rang.

“Hello?” She asked, just a tad impatiently. She wasn’t in the mood for a lecture from Perry.

“I know it doesn’t seem like it right now,” came the soft male rumble over the line, “But you’ve done a good thing. That little boy has a chance now, Lois.”

She dropped to the bed with a sigh as tears filled her eyes. It had been a long time since she’d heard from Clark. Nearly four months, in fact.

“I know you’re beating yourself up because you couldn’t do more,” he continued when he heard her intake of breath. He’d debated with himself for nearly two hours about calling her. When he’d first read the article, he’d been half way to Africa before he’d stopped. He’d known she would be dying. This had been a tough case, one she hadn’t seen very many positive results from. He’d known her well enough to know she’d have a hard time coming to grips with all she *couldn’t* do, instead of feeling good about what she *had* done.

And what she’d done was nothing short of extraordinary. She’d caused a tidal wave in the political seas in Africa. A major investigation had been started and there was rumors that several international organizations were getting involved to help stop the torture of the South African youth being forced into unimaginable situations.

“Sources say that the UN is calling for an emergency meeting tomorrow morning.”

“Really?” She asked as she wiped her nose. “I hadn’t heard.”

“Well, they’ve asked Superman for special support.”

She nodded, even though he couldn’t see her. What he’d done by imparting this bit of information didn’t escape her. Knowing how the political game was played, what he’d just told her was probably so classified that not even the President was aware of it. Yet, he’d trusted her. She’d felt like giving up, and he’d come to her rescue.

Did he realize just what he’d done?

“Lois, your article was amazing. And I’m sure you’ve paid a tremendous price to get the information you did.”

She smiled. He’d just asked if she’d been hurt or in danger. Some things never changed.

“It wasn’t so bad, Clark. I did what had to be done.” She glanced at the arm that had been covered with plaster only a few days ago. She’d done what she had to and then some.

He paused a second. He’d already spoken to Perry. He knew she’d been hurt, but just like always, she’d played it down. Some things never changed.

“And you did it so well,” he forced himself to say. He’d been worried about her; that would never change. But they’d made their choices.

Or at least, he’d made his. There was no way to undo that now.

“Thank you... for calling,” Lois told him after a moment.

“Thank you... for listening,” he replied. It had been so long since he’d spoken to her. Why hadn’t he called?

Why hadn’t she?

Some things had changed too much.

“Well, my flight leaves in an hour.” Lois stood, ready now to take on the next mystery.

“Take care of yourself,” Clark said, almost in a whisper.

“You, too.” She closed her phone, staring down at it as warm memories flooded her mind. So much had been happening over the past months, she’d barely had time to eat, let alone think about Clark.

But she was glad he’d called. She’d needed to hear his voice. She’d needed to feel him in her heart again.}}}}

She glanced back down at the picture she held.

<<He would have loved you.>>

And he would have tried to rescue every single child in Africa. Perry had told her that Superman was livid about what was happening in that part of the world. If she knew Clark, Superman was probably sick that he couldn’t do a thing to help either.

Yes, she reflected. She was glad she’d spoken with him. It was what she’d needed, when she’d she needed it.

Did he realize that even with so much distance between them, they’d somehow remained so close?

A Metropolis-bound superhero had indeed been sick that he couldn’t do more for the children of Africa. But there was suffering all over the world. There was no possible way he could help them all. He did what he could and that had to be enough.

It was never easy, but he plowed along as best he could.

He also did what he could as a reporter. In the past few months, he’d stopped the Lakes from stealing precious art from the Metropolis Museum of Art to add to their eclectic collection. He’d uncovered several million dollars worth of stolen art when he’d raided their secret lair beneath their mansion.

Then he’d uncovered a plot by a pair of sisters who’d discovered another form of Kryptonite. Red Kryptonite, something he’d come in contact with before, was used to strip him of his powers and temporarily transfer them to one of the sisters. Clark had worked, without his super side, to quickly rectify the situation and return Superman to the skies above the city. It wasn’t until both sisters were in jail that he could breathe a sigh of relief.

As he’d read the headline with only his bi-line, he’d thought of his former partner. Things would have been so much different if they’d been able to work together. Clark missed his work partner.

He missed his friend.

It had taken him weeks to come to grips with what he’d done. There was no way to go back; no way to change things. He had to move forward, and he had to do so without Lois by his side. It was the choice he’d made.

The irony of their separation knotted his stomach almost painfully the afternoon he accepted both his and Lois’ leather bound Merriweather certificates. That was the day he finally realized that although miles separated them physically, they’d never be far apart. She was part of his very being and always would be. Separating himself from her emotionally, and now the physical separation, would never change that.

Lois had almost called Clark when she returned to the states and read about the Newtrich sisters stripping Superman of his powers temporarily. Although they’d talked a few times, there seemed to be an unspoken agreement between them that those conversations should only take place during very specific situations. This didn’t seem like one of those situations. After all, he’d solved the case and gotten his powers back.

So, she set off for Northern California to investigate the disappearance of three teenagers at a college fraternity. It was two weeks later when a major news break stopped her in her tracks.

‘I am the mother of Superman’s love child’ was the title of the article on the front page of every newspaper in the country. Every one except the Planet.

Lois read about Lou Anne Stovanvich and her super powered son, Jesse. Superman was going to give a press conference that afternoon.

Could this be true? Could Superman, Clark, have a son she hadn’t known about?

<<That’s crazy!>>

<<Is it? He lied to you... every day for two years!>>

She tried to tell herself it was just laughable. Clark wasn’t that kind of person. Truth was, she hadn’t really known him at all. She’d been so sure that he’d never leave her. He’d told her as much. Then he’d up and broken her heart for her own good.

Lois reluctantly admitted that this Lou Anne person might be telling the truth as she watched little Jesse float during a news segment on LNN. Her heart ached when she saw the picture of Superman with Lou Anne outside a motel.

And if it was true, did that mean...?

<<Wait a minute! A picture of Lou Anne with Superman?>>

She snatched up the phone and dialed a number she knew by heart. When the man on the other end answered, she got straight to the point.

“This Lou Anne person is full of it, Perry! There’s no way she’s had his love child.”

“Well, hello to you, too, Lois.”

“Yeah, hi. This is hog wash!”

“It’s been my experience that when something looks like a duck and walks like a duck...”

“It’s borrowed a costume from the House of Horrors! Come on, Perry. Even you can’t be this blind. Think about it. Superman has only been around for two years. This kid’s at least six!”

“Did it ever occur to you that Superman wasn’t born two years ago?”

“Duh! But if this kid’s really his that means this woman would know that! And what could possibly be a bigger story than the true... real birth date of Superman?” She’d almost said too much. Clark might have ripped her heart out, but she wasn’t about to betray him, even to Perry. And she wasn’t about to let some floozy smear his reputation either.

There was a short silence before Perry said, “I told Clark the same thing. He didn’t want the story, but I made him go on over there to interview this woman.”

“And?”

“And Jesse’s been kidnapped by some maniac.”

Lois fell silent while she thought about that.

“We’re not sure what’s going on yet,” Perry continued. “Care to come on back here and help us find out?”

“Ah, no. Clark’s got it covered.”

“I know that, honey, but he’s not Lois Lane.”

“Clark’s good, Perry.” She took a breath and added, “As good as I am. Give him time. He’ll figure out what’s going on.”

“Yeah. I, ah, I just miss ya’ is all.”

“I know. I miss you, too.”

There was another silence before Perry finally said, “Take care. And any time you’re ready to come home...”

“I know.” She cut their connection as a soft smile played on her lips. She did miss Perry and Jimmy... and Clark.

Clark... he must be going crazy. Something had happened to cause this little boy to have Superman’s powers, but he wasn’t the big guy’s son. Lois knew that. Clark might have lied about his other identity, but he would have never lied about something like that.

And he would have never had a relationship of that magnitude with a woman and walked away from her without so much as a mention of her later. They’d spent a lot time talking about their past relationships, and Lou Anne Stovanvich was not one of them.

Clark would figure it all out.

Two days later, Clark did figure it out. He also stopped a missile from leveling an entire country.

Jesse had inherited part of his powers during a lightening storm in which Superman had landed a distressed airplane. The lightening had transferred part of his powers to Jesse, who had been sitting near the window when the plane was struck. The effect had worn off and Superman had rescued the boy from his kidnapper.

Lou Anne had issued an official retraction and life returned to normal.

At least to what normal was for a man who could fly.

He’d thought about Lois when the news of his ‘love child’ had first hit the papers. How would she have handled it if they’d still been together? Would she have doubted him when he told her it wasn’t possible for the child to be his? Would she have backed Superman unquestionably?

He sighed heavily, unsure of anything anymore. It was still difficult for him to deal with the fact that he turned away from the only woman he’d ever loved. There were days when he’d rather have stayed in bed all day. Being needed as Superman, and the cases he took on at the Planet kept him going.

Thinking of Lois kept him sane. He still loved her and he always would. Nothing could change that. He’d long since stopped dwelling on what might have been and slowly accepted the way things were.

Lois shivered as she wrapped her hands around the mug in her hands. She was so cold. Why in hell had she made this trip? Why in hell did anyone think that they had to make this trip?

Work. Oh, yeah, right. She’d forgotten that little detail.

Another sip of her hot chocolate didn’t help with the unbearable cold. She was inside for goodness sakes!

She’d almost taken an Alaskan cruise one time. She sure was glad good sense had prevailed.

Or had it been a hot lead on a story?

Either way, she hadn’t gone and she was glad she hadn’t.

But she was here now. And here was a small town in northern Alaska investigating a prostitution ring. For the life of her, she couldn’t figure out why any self respecting woman had to come all the way to Alaska to sell...

Lois growled in frustration as her cell phone rang.

“Yeah?”

Twenty minutes later, she was out the door. Finally, a break in the case.

On the short ride across town, she glanced down at a picture of Superman on the front page of the Planet. He’d saved a bus full of kids from dying when their driver had a heart attack and nearly drove them all headfirst into Hobb’s Bay. She couldn’t stop the smile that crossed her face. Everybody’s hero- that was Superman.

And no one’s father, it seemed. Even though she’d had her doubts for a moment, she’d known, deep down, that Clark hadn’t fathered a child with a woman like Lou Anne. Yet, she’d still been slightly relieved when the retraction came out. She’d almost called Clark that night. But what would she have said?

‘Hey, I’m glad you didn’t sew your wild oats with that tramp?’

Clark would have gotten angry and she would have said things she’d regret. It was better she hadn’t called.

They’d come through it okay. Superman’s image was still squeaky clean, Clark was still... Clark, and she was...

<<Freezing my ass off in the middle of nowhere!>>

But this is the life she’d chosen. Chasing stories had become her salvation. When she’d first left Metropolis, she was sure her heart would never heal. At the end of that first story, she’d realized that she might actually make it. So, she’d run down another one and another, until even the ache was a shadow of what it had once been.

Winning the Merriweather Award as a team was ironic considering their current relationship. Yet, it helped put her feelings for Clark into prospective.

Memories of her time with him became a warm place she liked to go when she was feeling down. A man who had figuratively torn her heart out was the same man who now gave her sweet reprieve when she needed it most.

He was also, more often than not, right there beside her. He was quiet reflection when she needed him to be. He was sweet release when she needed it. He was who she shouted at when she was angry. He was who she talked to when she was at the end of her rope. So far from her, yet so very close. Lois kept Clark tucked within her heart almost as closely as she had when they’d been together.

She was also proud of all he’d accomplished. He’d recently uncovered a plot by a Nazi group to take over Metropolis. He’d solved a huge case involving Jaxon Xavier and his virtual reality center that was a cover used to kidnap dozens of famous kids. Lois was especially proud of Clark’s work on that one.

It was that pride, that deep seated love that would forever remain in her heart, that allowed her to take him everywhere she went. From Alaska, she headed south to Colombia, South America. Clark was right there with her in the coffee fields as she dug out a spy. He was with her when she flew back to the states, to Georgia, to find out why there was a sudden outbreak of chicken pox. He sat next to her in Chicago when she interviewed the most notorious serial killer of their time. And he cried silently with her as she watched from her hiding place along the Mexican border as ten people were executed by a man they’d thought was taking them across the border to a better life in America.

Where ever she went, he was there. In everything she did, Clark was with her. She felt him everywhere.

Martha looked over at her son as he quietly ate his pie. He’d flown out to see them every Friday night he got the chance, and tonight was no different. In the months since he’d split up with Lois, her boy had changed a great deal. He’d... aged. He was a bit more contemplative now. He still smiled, still laughed, but she could tell it wasn’t as genuine as it had once been. The light didn’t dance in his eyes as it had before Lois.

The most sincere smile she had seen on his face was nearly a year ago after the acceptance speech he’d given for his and Lois’ combined Merriweather. She could tell that he was dying inside because Lois hadn’t been there with him to accept it, but he’d delivered one the most emotional addresses she’d ever heard. He’d received several comments on it later.

He’d stood on stage again a few weeks later to accept her Kerth award. By that time, he just looked defeated. And it hadn’t been because Lois had edged him out to take the honor. It was because she hadn’t been there again. She hadn’t even shown up to accept her Bailey Ring last December.

Summer had faded into fall, another Christmas came and went, and the New Year rang in the fact that she was still gone. If it hadn’t been for Clark’s work, Martha was sure he would have closed in on himself. His writing seemed to be on fire. Her son had become a renowned reporter in his own right.

“Will you be able to help with the planting?” Jonathan asked, just to break the silence. There was too much silence when Clark visited now.

“Sure. I can get most of it done in a day,” Clark said without looking up from his pie.

“Good.” Jonathan rose and left the kitchen. It was so hard talking to his son these days. It was even harder not to mention Lois. He missed that girl.

Martha reached over and covered his hand once they were alone. “Have you talked to her lately?”

“I haven’t talked to her in... a really long time.” He didn’t even pretend not to know who his mom meant. “I’m not down for reasons you think, Mom.” He finally lifted his eyes to look at her. “You know she won the Merriweather again this year?”

“I did know.”

“There’s talk that she’ll take the Pulitzer this year, too.”

“Are you... jealous?”

“What? Mom, no.” And he smiled. “I’m actually very proud of her.” He leaned forward on the table.

“Why don’t you call her?”

“Yeah. Maybe I will.” He drank down the last of his coffee before he spoke again. “I miss her some days so much that I feel ill. Other days it’s like she’s right there with me.”

Martha didn’t say a word, just waited for him to finish. He hadn’t talked about Lois with her in a while, and she felt that maybe he needed to.

“I will always love Lois,” he admitted aloud for the first time. “I’ve finally realized that she will always be part of me.”

“I think that real love is like that.”

Clark smiled over at his mother. She’d been so understanding about this whole thing. “I don’t think I’ve told you lately how much I love you.”

She smiled. “I love you, too, son.”

He rose and leaned down to hug her tenderly. When he drew back, he cupped her cheek. “I think maybe I’ll go talk to Dad.”

“I think it’s time you did.”

He nodded and went in search of his father. When he’d broken up with Lois, he’d created a void between himself and his father. It was high time he did something to fill it.