Print Thread
#72176 06/11/10 06:09 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK goes here.

Thanks

Corrina.

EDIT - sorry, I had to leave as soon as I'd posted, so there was no time for a preview. Here it is ...

"You seem disappointed about going interstate."

Clark chuckled bleakly. "I'm gutted," he said.

Lois grinned at his use of the Australian phrase. "Brisbane's a great city and Adelaide is beautiful," she said. "I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time."

"That wasn't what I meant." He looked down at Lois and saw her thinly veiled smile. "And I think you know that," he added.

"I can't imagine why you would want to hang around Melbourne when you have the chance to see other cities," she mused.

"I had a date ..."

"Oh. That."

"Yes, that."

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Again, I absolutely love how you write the Lois-Clark interaction and their unspoken feelings for each other. I love it when they talk to each other, too!

I always, always worry what Clark's refusal to share his secret with Lois will do to their relationship. Consider, for example, his footy game. He couldn't very well refuse to take part, and he couldn't very well have used his powers to make sure his team won. But I can see that some people would think that he shouldn't have taken part in the game in the first place, and others would think that he should have given victory to his team, because otherwise he is a lousy team player who lets down his mates. I wonder what Lois will think.

At first I thought that Browny disapproved of a Clark-Lois relationship, and that he would do his best to keep them apart. But now it appears that he is working to bring them together instead. That's delightful.

Of course, their date still won't happen for several days yet. I still worry about those blue and green "opals" that Seb knew about. There was no reason to mention something so inconsequential if those crystals were harmless. And if Clark is going to travel around the country, it could be that he is going to run into them. Ah, Clark, when the kryptonite hits you, maybe your team mates will be telling you that you should have taken the ice bath after all!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's been at least 15' since I finished reading and I'm still awwwwing blush

Such amazing interaction!!! If I have to choose, I pick this two moments:

Clark didn't take the paper she offered. "No, thanks," he said. "I'm with someone."

Lois saw the disappointment slither through the group of young women. The woman thrust the paper at him again. "Take this," she persisted. "Just in case your other thing doesn't work out."

"No, thanks," Clark said, still polite, but his tone held a conviction they couldn't fail to misinterpret.

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure."

With regret, they turned and walked away. Clark looked around.

He saw Lois and smiled.

Her heart exploded.
How could her heart not explode?!?! If she hadn't been convinced when he asked her out, this should most certainly clear all of her doubts!

clap

Clark's soft chuckle escaped past a mouth that couldn't stop grinning. "I get the feeling we've been set up," he said.
She pushed back her hair. "Have you thought about whether you want company?" she asked.

Clark grinned. "Of course I want company," he said. "Would you come with me?"

Lois matched his grin. "Are you sure?"
"That's a pretty impressive first date, big guy," Lois said. With a lingering smile, she walked back to her desk.
Sorry blush I've tried very heart not to qoute the whole thing... but that last part, from the moment Lois walks out of Browny's office to the very last sentence was simply perfect.

Thanks for a great installment!!! Looking forward to part 21 (but something tells me the good stuff will probably have to wait until 22)

Cris
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
With the post-game etiquette seen to, the teams gathered as two separate groups.
hyper hyper I know what's coming next. hyper
"You step one millimetre out of line, and I'll hit you harder than Smiddy did yesterday."
Mwahahahahaha

Lois gestured into Browny's office. "Browny just insisted that I take Tuesday off next week. And he says not to come in until Thursday afternoon."
Duh!

"That's a pretty impressive first date, big guy," Lois said. With a lingering smile, she walked back to her desk.
Yeah, taking a girl away for a weekend in a secluded motel. Certain things... well, I just hope he's got a map laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
...or a diagram...

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Loved it...made me feel so good to see them so happy at the prospect of their date

Post part 21 soon plz....Enjoy your weekend

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"For a Yank, you're a bloody good kick."
Actually, I didn't even notice 'bloody'. I've seen too many Australian and English movies I guess. So, no worries for me.

Gazza hauled himself to his feet. "See you there. I'm off to the torture of the ice baths. Sure you don't want to join me?"
"Er, no thanks. You might notice I don't get goose bumps or turn blue."

Clark's spirits suddenly roared to life. "Did he say why?" he asked.
Yep, I bet they just did. Browny has great instincts. I'm eager to read about the date.

"Nah, don't worry, mate. I survived Nightfall, this little bump didn't even register."
LOL Michael
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I didn't particularly like that the team lost the game, but it did work very well and provided good contrast to Clark's winning Lois' yes for the date - and a verbal acknowledgement that she cares about him!

Loved the part with Browny subtly setting them up to have Tuesday and Wednesday off!

Excellent part and looking forward to the next part and 22/23 - because I think one/both of those parts will have the actual date smile

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Am I the only one who's awfully worried by the dawning Olympics? I sense another awkward moment coming on.

I loved this installment! These are my favorite bits not previously covered:
Toggy was moving around the players, saying a few words of consolation. He came up to Clark. "Good game, Rubber," he said. "When're ye going home, lad?"

"September," Clark replied.

"Ye're coming back next year?"

"No."

"Pity," Toggy said. "Ye've a kick on ye like a mule." He patted Clark's shoulder. "Good game, lad."
Toggy was brilliant, you handled his accent very well. I could absolutely hear him in my head.

"Gazza," Clark said. "Thanks for coming to help when I had four of them on me."

Gazza looked surprised. "You didn't think we'd just stand there and watch, did you?"

"I ... don't know ... I didn't think ..."

"You gotta fly the flag," Gazza said. "The opposition have to know that if they take on one of us, they take on all of us."
Across the room, Clark saw a doctor leaning over Bluey. Clark stood and went over, feeling sick. "Ah, Bluey," he said, watching as the doctor tied the second stitch.

Bluey smiled and was sharply told to stay still. Clark watched as the doctor added a third stitch.

"Keep it clean," the doctor instructed when he'd finished.

Bluey nodded and touched his fingers to his forehead.

"Bluey ... thanks," Clark said when the doctor had walked away. "I'm sorry you got hurt helping me."

"Couldn't stand by and do nothing," Bluey said simply.

"Well, thanks ... mate."

Bluey stood and gestured to his eye. "Do you reckon it looks dashing?" he said.

"Definitely," Clark said.

"Do you reckon it'll make me a hit with the ladies?"

"I hope so."

They shared a grin, and Bluey limped away.
You made me want Gazza and Bluey as my mates too. I love their circumspect reactions to their injuries. Just another day in the life of a football journy...

Lois responded with a slight smile and a quick glance. "I was very relieved when it became clear that you weren't hurt," she said. Then, almost as an afterthought, she added, "I've seen plenty of bumps in footy, but none of them made me feel as crook as yours did."
I love the language, it's really charming.

Top Banana
Top Banana
This continues to be just wonderful. I loved the whole "Lois waiting outside the dressing room" scene. My response to this:
Her heart cavorted at the thought of seeing him again.
Somebody's in love! hyper

Bob

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
date date date date - sleepover?! date date date la la la la

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ann

I always, always worry what Clark's refusal to share his secret with Lois will do to their relationship. Consider, for example, his footy game. He couldn't very well refuse to take part, and he couldn't very well have used his powers to make sure his team won. But I can see that some people would think that he shouldn't have taken part in the game in the first place, and others would think that he should have given victory to his team, because otherwise he is a lousy team player who lets down his mates. I wonder what Lois will think.
Ann, I know one of your pet hates is Clark keeping his secret from Lois, but you've explained the difficulties inherent in his life so well. He is always going to encounter situations that barely require a thought for the rest of us, but have complications for him.

Browny has been watching Lois closely. Despite his gruffness, he cares about her and felt sorry for her over the Dan thing. Part of why he is sending Clark away for the weekend is to give them both time to take stock. Then he's giving them the opportunity to go away together if that's what they choose to do.

Thanks, Ann.

Cristina Thanks! If I had to choose my favourite Lois and Clark interaction, it's when they are right on the cusp of their relationship. I'm glad you're enjoying this stage, too.

but something tells me the good stuff will probably have to wait until 22
/clears throat, whistles innocently/

Michael

The switch is a good analogy.

Why won't he join?
Well, there's the reasons mentioned by other FDKers, but also, Lois is waiting outside, and although Clark knows he can't just dump his teammates and go to her, he doesn't want to unnecessarily prolong the wait.

There's so much else I could say, Michael ... but I'll just say 'thanks for the comments.'

SJH Diagram? wink

Seme Thanks. I had a great weekend - hope you did, too.

Artemis On Browny - I haven't 100% worked out yet whether he's hoping to gain Rubber or whether he's being particularly sweet, knowing that his actions could mean he loses Flinders.

Thanks.

DW If this were a footy fic involving LnC, they would have won. But it's a LnC fic involving footy, so they lost!

Thanks, DW.

The Source Don't worry about the Olympics - they will have a tiny part.

Toggy - There are underlying reasons why I wanted him to be Irish. In the late 70s, we realised that because the Irish play Gaelic football (not *too* different from Aussie Rules), they could provide an untapped market for players. IIRC, the first two to succeed were Sean Wight and Jim Stynes. The latter was a very successful ruckman for Melbourne (he's currently battling cancer smile1 or even dizzy

Thanks,

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
On Browny - I haven't 100% worked out yet whether he's hoping to gain Rubber or whether he's being particularly sweet, knowing that his actions could mean he loses Flinders.
Actually, what I thought is that he is just very observant and wants Lois to be happy. Yes, he might lose a footy journo, but I think that's not as high on his priority list as caring for her.
Now, I did note that the reservation at the motel in Port Campbell was for Browny and his wife Sue. What's the bet there are not two separate rooms available, eh?
And yes, Toggy's Irish accent read very real to me.
More soon to feed our ravening thirst for a happy meet and a reveal!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard