Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72099 06/09/10 02:16 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
This part is for Iolanthe who right from the start wanted Clark to play in a game of footy.

I hope the game description was reasonably clear.

Preview of 20

Clark expected Lois to turn and go to the Jeep, but she didn't move. "I've thought about what you said today," she said.

His heart flipped. "About what?" he said, his throat constricting around his words.

"The date."

Clark dove into the depths of her beautiful eyes, and what he saw caused his head to spin. "H... have you made any decisions?"

"Is the offer still open?"

"Absolutely."

"Yes," Lois said.

"You'll go out with me?"

Lois nodded, and Clark dropped his bag, and she slid into his arms. He lifted her and spun her around. When he returned her feet to the ground, he gazed into her face, his hands still on her waist. He couldn't find any words, so for a long moment he simply looked at her and tried to grasp that Lois had actually agreed to go out with him.
FDK goes here.

Thanks

Corrina.

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Holy hell, you know how to tug at a girl's heartstrings!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This part is for Iolanthe who right from the start wanted Clark to play in a game of footy.
YAY! I got my wish!

(Now I just want to see a picture of Clark in the footy outfit.) wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, you had my heart rate up visualizing the game! And you had my heart rate up visualizing Clark playing footy. Yes, what Iolanthe said, we need a picture of Clark in his jumper and shorts.
Oh, the irony of Electronic Media being in blue and red.
-----
Clark sashays up to a blue and red player and says, "Hey, you can't wear that! That's *my* colors!"
"Says who?" and the EM guy tries to clock Clark.
Clark dodges so he doesn't break his fist.
"No, they're *my* colors," and spins in place, turning into Superman.
Only he's got a red suit and a blue cape because he's *down under*.
-------
See what adrenalin does to me?

More soon. On with the date.
clap
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You are absolutely awesome at writing this so clearly; the moments between Lois and Clark, the game. I could just picture the whole play; it was terrific! Sorry, but I cannot think of any way of improving on your awesomeness (is that a word?) dance

Now looking forward impatiently to their date and everything else, of course! Great story!

EvelynC
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Another excelllent part!

So, did they win the game or not?

Reason for asking is that in rugby, even when the siren has sounded to indicate the end of the time period for the game, the game (mostly always) is extended for another couple of minutes - many teams have scored additional points in the extended time, leading to finalising the victory for them or handing over the supposed victory to the opposing team.

So while Clark may have thought that the game has ended and the team is a few points short of winning, the game could maybe continue for another couple of minutes, thus leading the team to score more points and win.

And I am very much looking forward to the next part and the actual date! hyper

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
yay! clark playing footy, clark going out with lois - soon...sigh. all i've ever wanted. ok, not all - but getting there!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois chuckled. "You go out there ... you kick the footy, you do your best ... you'll be fine."
Yes, but what happens if the ball rounds the Earth once and lands in the Print Media boys' goal. Does this count or is it an own goal?

After Toggy's pre-game speech, the Print Media team, dressed in their green shorts and green-and-gold jumpers, ran onto the ground together for their warm-up. The opposition, dazzling in blue and red, were already there.
I know, wrong fandom, but I just couldn't help myself. So, it's the Spidermen against the Goblins?

"If I kick a goal, will you go out with me?" Clark persisted.

The lightness embedded in his tone pulsated warmth through her veins. He didn't sound so anxious about the game now. And clearly, their date was still foremost in his mind. "Kick one, and I'll think about it."
This really made me expect Clark would manage one lucky shot at least.

The umpire bounced again. It was pushed out of the congestion and fell at the feet of a teammate. He picked up the ball and tried to kick it forward. An opponent flew across the ball and smothered it. The ball was picked up by a player in red and blue. He ran ten metres, bounced the ball, ran another ten, and kicked it towards Clark and Number Four.
Clark's going to score clap

The ball was still in the air when the siren sounded.

The game was over.

They'd lost.

By four points.
What now? clap

So, 20?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The Source Clark may have lost the game, but (see preview) he will win something far more important.

Thanks.

Iolanthe Sorry, no photos of Clark. (But I have photos of Hawthorn players if that would suffice!)

Thanks for an awesome (and continuing) beta job.

Artemis The colour scheme - Australia's colours are green and gold, but our flag is red and blue huh

It's not unusual for once-a-year footy games to use these colours.

Judging by that little snippet, we can only hope you'll get some more adrelin from somewhere, Artemis!

Evelyn Thanks - I did slip into a little bit of footy jargon, but it was from Clark's POV and I figured he'd been in Oz long enough to have picked up a bit of the terminology.

DW They lost. In Aussie Rules, the siren ends the game. Extra time has already been added.

Thanks for your FDK.

Sarah Yes, we're getting there. Thanks.

Michael I let them lose to contrast with the win Clark gets in the next chapter!

Thanks, Michael.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I've been away for my nephew's high school graduation, so I'm behind on my FDK!

Fantastic, Corrina. You made me care about a footy game. But you didn't make me the least bit heartbroken that Clark's team lost, I just loved the fact that Clark did well and didn't cause any sort of accidental catastrophe with his super powers. It was nice to see his team mates standing up for him. I think Bluey, Banjo and the rest are going to like Clark better now than they did before, but I wonder if they are going to be upset that Clark is going out with Lois.

Ah, but if they are going to be upset, I love it! hyper

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The game was over.

They'd lost.

By four points.

Clark felt a savage, burning disappointment swell inside him.

They'd lost.
When I beta'd this fic, I had to send Corrina an incredulous comment:

"They LOST? They had Superman on their team and they LOST?" smile

Corrina very properly pointed out that, in this case, Clark would learn more from losing than from winning. Plus, it's the right thing for the fic.

But I still got a chuckle out of Superman's team losing.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You made me care about a footy game.
I would probably chew an arm off to get some regular broadcasts in American cable. cool

Great part!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Corinna, Australia's flag is red, white and blue for the same reason the United States' flag is, I suspect. We're all from the mother country with the Union Jack. So have you ever seen the flag of the state of Hawaii? Go here and you'll see it
http://www.theodora.com/flags/state_flags/hi-s.gif
Hawaii was once part of the UK. In fact the US and the UK fought over possession of Hawaii. So it's flag has the Union Jack for the field and the stripes for the US. But there are only 8 stripes, one for each island in the chain.
Glad you enjoyed my little snippet. I may be inspired to do more.
cool
Artemis

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Corrina,

I loved the footy game but I liked the conversation in the car even more.

You asked
Absolutely! notworthy

My only other comment is the same one that I've had for every part in this story.

Please go faster!!!

Bob

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
I particularly love this part:
Lois smiled. "Kick a goal, and I'll have an answer for you within a week."

"A week?" he exclaimed. "You don't give an inch, do you, Flinders?"
Clark's use of her nickname is charming.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ann Thanks. From what you said, it seems as if I got across that there is more to football than simply the game - the mateship, the common goals etc.

Iolanthe Yeah, Superman's team lost! cool

Shadow Regular broadcasts of RL footy? Or a broadcast of Clark Kent in footy gear?

Thanks.

Artemis Yeah, that's why the flag is red, white and blue - and I guess we tried to be different by making our national colours green and gold. It's still a bit huh though!

Bob Thanks. I'm trying to go faster. smile However last week, I adjusted the ending to this fic (in my mind, I haven't written it yet), which means it is going to be longer than originally planned. That also means that it's going to take longer until I finish and can post more frequently.

The Source I admit, I love nicknames - there's something sweetly intimate about them.

Thanks

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
it is going to be longer than originally planned. That also means that it's going to take longer until I finish and can post more frequently.
hyper love
Yay! More story. A "better" ending, I presume.
And more frequently!!!
cool
Artemis

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
A "better" ending, I presume.
I hope so.

I had one ending and then suddenly realised that I could weave in another plot strand that would provide a nice balance to what I already had.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard