Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
aaaaarghh

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, yeah, Sarah, you're right. Aarrrggghhh indeed.

He almost has to tell her now. There's no excuse for kicking her out like that. And Lois, being a canny, resourceful, intelligent, and slightly cynical young woman, is going to presume that Clark has a Big Secret. She won't rest until she discovers it, and it won't be long, I think. She'll put two and two together, come up with four, try to figure out why it can't be four, then apply Holmes' dictum to the evidence. And when Clark does offer to fly her to meet his parents via Superman Express, she'll just nod and say, "Thought so."

And then they'll have more than two months to figure out how to put their lives together. Complicating that, of course, is the activity of some nutcase in Metropolis who likes to wreck subways and blow up buildings, not to mention a certain female reporter who has it in for Superman.

And I really like the way you're working Lois' footy encouragement to Clark into Superman's interactions with the public and the press. When he tells her how much she's helped him, she's going to be quite pleased.

Can't wait for Lois to meet Jonathan and Martha! Now that's a family unit almost anyone could love at first sight. It may take Lois a couple of days, but she'll break down and love them back before too long.

Excellent story, Corrina! You've taken your heritage and culture and woven a totally believable alternate beginning for the greatest fictional romance in history. Keep them coming!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I only have time and energy for some short FDK.

Like Sarah and Terry said, arrrghhh!!! It was not a good thing for Clark to leave Lois like that after she had just told him how she had been let down by her own family. (And by Dan Scardino too, probably.) I'm not saying that Clark shouldn't have gone to Metropolis to take care of the bombs. Of course he should have. But the problem, as always, was that he didn't tell her why he threw her out, and that it was obvious that he was lying about his reasons.

Tell her, Clark! Tell her! Tell her! Let's just hope that Lois wasn't sufficiently disappointed and hurt that she doesn't want to see him when he returns to her.

Interesting that Seb warned Clark not to hurt Lois. And the first thing he does is hurt her. Yes, he had to leave her, but he sure as heck didn't have to lie to her!

And Lois was going to tell a Hawthorn story that was so painful to her that it brought tears to her eyes. Could that story somehow mirror the betrayal that Lois may feel that Clark subjected her to?

Ah gaaaah. You need to fix this, Corrina. And you will, I'm sure... say, thirty chapters from now?

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Let's see...
"Tell me if it's none of my business," he said, offering her a way out.

"It's none of your business." The harshness of her words was tempered somewhat as she tried to force a smile through her still-threatening tears.
Lois is obviously more uncomfortable with just blowing Clark off than with answering stuff she considers none of his business. Looks like she's so relieved to have found someone willing to socialize with her and talk shop and watch TV, etc, that she doesn't want to alienate him. Also explains her reaction to Clark presumably blowing her off for Esmeralda.

"No."

"But you're friends?"

Lois paused, but then she spoke hurriedly as if trying to negate her hesitation. "Yes."

[...]

"Does Dan know there is nothing beyond friendship?" Clark asked gently.

Lois looked away, and he was startled to see the glistening evidence of tears in her eyes. "He knows," she said roughly.
This, too. Of course it's possible there's never been anything between them, but Lois's reaction is too emotional for this. So, I'll go with Clark's assumption and Lois appears to once again hold on to him, simply because he's there and a friendly face to her. I think, despite her footy-family, she's terribly alone.

Seb met him head-on with a steely blue gaze. "You'd better not." With that, he turned, and strode out of Glenferrie Oval.

Lois returned with a sausage wrapped in bread and covered in tomato ketchup. "Where's Seb?" she asked.

"He had to go."
And Seb's just shown up to warn Clark. He's certainly acting the protective brother. And there's got to be some emotional history for Lois for him to act like this.

"Lois," Clark said, his mind spinning, but nothing productive coming from it. "Lois ... Lois, I need you to leave."

Her concern turned to confusion. "You want me to leave now?" she asked in a small voice.
I had some funny comeback here about him just asking Lois to stay until he's back, spinning into the spandex and taking off right in front of her. But then on the second pass and getting the FDK together, it's far too moody for this mecry

Metropolis needed Superman.
I immediately expected Superman to run into Kryptonite. Glad he didn't blush

Wonder what's up with the four bombs. Could either be a terrorist action designed to cause lot's of mayhem or a test/trap set up by Trask.

So many questions. Only one way to get answers... wildguy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! No sooner have we gotten the answer to the Lois/Dan question than our two favourite reporters have now found themselves in another situation we can't wait to see how you resolve for them. You sure do keep us on tenterhooks, Corrina!

Like Michael, I also thought Clark was going to encounter Kryptonite when he flew back to Metropolis to attend to the bombs! Imagine Clark grounded in the US while Lois is back in Australia worrying over his unexplained disappearance!

I must admit I am not a football fan by any means - I don't follow or watch the game in any of it's forms - yet I am so hooked on your story that the football environment you have woven your characters into sits quite comfortably with me. This has got to be a testament to your skills as a writer!

thumbsup

Well, bring on the next chapter! I am chomping at the bit waiting to find out what happens next!

hyper

Keep up the great work.

Elizabeth

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
From what has been revealed of Lois' past, the men in her life have been protective. The one disappointment may be her father.The problem may be that the guys want Lois to be the traditional little woman ,whatever that means, and Lois will have none of it. The girl has and is doing things against the rules for a long time. When you'er the first at something, it can be loney.I think it was Lois, not Dan, that cooled the relationship. In my opinion, he wanted more than Lois is willing to give.He may have wanted her to give up her job to just be his wife or something.A no no for Lois.She does not want to fall for Clark because he is the one that she may change her life plan for. Scary busness for her
Good stuff.
Oh yeah, she'll be waiting for him. She cant help herself.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awesome writing! Your story-telling is just so effective, so easy to understand. I, too, am not a big sports person; but I do enjoy games when I'm there in person, but not much for watching on TV, so I just know the basics on most of the US sports. But you've explained so much so well, and have made me vested in the "footy" that Lois loves so much, as well as getting so much out of learning more of Aussie "stuff".

And I, too, thought it would be a trap for Superman with the bombs, but now I think they are testing him; sounds like no one knew much at all about him up to now -- they were surprised at his speed and vision!

Please keep it coming; can't wait to see how Clark makes it up to Lois. hyper

EvelynC
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to echo the aargh!

As for the bombs, I believe this was a test of Superman. I think this was Trask. He didn't know about his enhanced vision capabilities and this was to be a general test of his ability to overcome a major disaster. Instead it worked out almost as well. Trask and the rest of the world learned more about his abilities.

As for Lois, I'm curious how that will go. He needs to find some way to tell her the truth ASAP. I hope this isn't going to be a long string of "can't quite tell her" situations. That would change my aargh to an AAAARRGGH!!!

Bob

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I'm also going to echo arrrghhh!

Wonder what's up with the Lois and Dan business - she was just too emotional for it to be nothing.

And Clark is going to tell Lois about his dual identity soon, right?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wondering how Clark will approach Lois after abruptly kicking her out and how she will react.

Loving this story

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sarah laugh

Terry Thanks, Terry. Some of your speculation is very close, some not so close. I'm really pleased that you think Lois and Clark in footy-loving Melbourne works!

Ann I agree that Clark leaving Lois wasn't great on his part. However, many people make bad decisions when put on the spot. And I'm not sure that 'Hi, Lois, I'm Superman, Bye, Lois' is much better.

Ah gaaaah. You need to fix this, Corrina. And you will, I'm sure... say, thirty chapters from now?
This problem will be fixed before then!

Thanks, Ann.

Michael

So many questions.
So much FDK! Thank you! Yet there is so little I can reply to at this point.

Elizabeth Thanks, Elizabeth. I so glad that the footy background isn't distracting from the Lois and Clark story. I knew there was a chance I would get the balance wrong, and tried to dampen my own fascination with footy as I decided what to put in and what to leave out.

SJH Your theory has merit and some of your conclusions will play out in the fic.

Thanks for your comements.

Evelyn You're right in saying no one knew much about Superman to this point. He rarely spoke and worked alone. How could they know about his x-ray vision?

This Superman hasn't had Lois - so most of the differences from canon, I'm attributing to that!

I'm glad you find my writing easy to understand. That is also because my BRs are so good at pointing out when I write something that isn't clear. smile

Thanks!

Bob A long string? No. smile

Hopefully this is not too much of a spoiler, but there is a lot of story *after* Lois knows more about Clark.

Thanks, Bob.

DW

And Clark is going to tell Lois about his dual identity soon, right?
That depends on your definition of the word 'soon'!

Thanks for your FDK.

Seme

Thanks, Seme.

Wondering how Clark will approach Lois after abruptly kicking her out and how she will react.
Apologise? Lie? Make up an unlikely excuse? All of the above? wink

Thanks,

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard