Games People Play: 10/11
By Nan Smith

Previously:

"They're headed this way," Clark said, keeping his voice low. He pointed to one of the blank doors that opened in the corridor walls. "In there. Then I'm going to open it."

The door proved to open on some kind of store room. Clark eased it nearly shut after them and peeked through the narrow opening. "Here goes," he whispered. Lois heard the faintest sizzling sound and smelled scorched insulation. There was a sudden grating noise and Clark quickly shut the door the remainder of the way and put a finger to his lips. Lois put her ear against the door and tried to breathe quietly.

"I thought," Henderson's somewhat muffled voice said, "that this hallway didn't go anywhere." A pregnant silence ensued.

Lex's smooth voice seemed to have acquired a faintly ragged edge. "I assure you, Inspector --"

"Let's go," Henderson continued. "This is beginning to be very interesting."

And now, Part 10:

The faint sound of footsteps approached the door behind which Lois and Clark hid. Lois was concentrating so hard on interpreting the muffled sounds from without that she almost missed Clark's sudden indrawn breath. She turned her head in time to see him stagger slightly and reach out a hand to brace himself against the wall. She was instantly at his side, but he was already pushing himself upright again.

"What's the matter?" Lois whispered.

The footsteps were retreating in the direction of the Operations Room, which was still some distance away by foot. In the pale light of the single tiny light bulb that shone from the one wall socket in the room, she could see Clark wipe the sleeve of his Suit across his forehead. Understanding burst suddenly on her. "Someone out there has Kryptonite! Are you okay?"

"Yeah." His voice wasn't entirely steady. "I think so."

"Lex!" Lois said, still keeping her voice down, although the footsteps had faded into silence. "He must have a piece of it on him!"

"It can't be a big piece," Clark said, and Lois again saw him wipe his face with a suddenly unsteady hand.

"What do you mean?"

He hesitated for a second. "I still have my powers. At least I think I do."

She eased the door open a crack to look after the men who had passed a moment before. "They're gone. Let's get out of here."

"Not yet." Clark's voice had regained its steadiness, but he was frowning. "We have to follow them."

"Clark --"

"I don't trust Luthor. Do you?"

Put like that, he was right, she supposed, but she wasn't willing to concede the entire argument. "All right, but we've got to stay back far enough that you can't feel that stuff!"

"I don't think that will be a problem," Clark said. "I can feel it just a little, right now, but as long as we don't get any closer to it, I should be okay. I just don't want to leave before we're sure he doesn't have another rabbit to pull out of his sleeve. There must be some reason he's got the stuff."

He had a point, Lois thought. Why would Lex feel it was necessary to have a defense against Superman if he didn't think he might need to do something sneaky? Or worse. Particularly the worse.

The thought brought her up sharply. When had she fully accepted that there was very little that Lex wouldn't do to get his way? She didn't know, but after what she had seen tonight, somewhere along the line she had finally realized that the Lex Luthor that she thought she knew did not exist and never had.

She should have figured that out last night, when she had discovered who her kidnapper was. Certainly she should have known when she realized that he had a piece of Kryptonite that he intended to use against Superman. But perhaps it had really been those odd conversations with Nigel St. John that had been the clincher. Lex, she understood at last, was a sociopath, a man without a conscience. He did as he chose, knowing that what he did was against all the standards of lawful human conduct, but the fact was, the concept had no meaning for him. He literally didn't care that what he did was considered wrong by the vast majority of humanity. To him, right and wrong had no real meaning. It was simply what he wanted. The rest didn't matter.

"Is something wrong?" Superman asked, and she realized that she was trembling. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," she said, aware that her voice shook slightly. "How could I have not seen what he was, Clark?"

"Superman."

"Right. Superman. But why didn't I see what Lex was? It isn't as if I haven't seen slick criminals before. How could he have fooled me so easily?"

Clark didn't answer at first. "Luthor is very plausible," he said finally. "And he was always on his best behavior with you."

"He wanted to fool me," Lois said bitterly. "But he didn't fool you!"

"I was in a position to see more of what he did," Clark said. "I told you why I suspected him in the beginning."

"Was that really what made you suspect him?"

"Pretty much. And once he knew I knew, he didn't wear his mask when I was around."

Lois gave a short laugh. "Well," she said, "no matter what kind of mask he wears for me from now on, he won't fool me again."

Clark smiled. "I'm glad of that," he said. He eased the door open. "We'd better go."

"All right." Lois glanced up and down the hallway but Clark firmly preceded her from the room, looking in both directions as well. Superman was very definitely in protective mode, Lois thought. Otherwise, he would courteously allow her to go first. Clark always did that, she thought. She had been initially amused at his old-fashioned courtesy, but she hadn't been when Lex did the same.

Lex was always on his best behavior with her, as Clark had pointed out, and yet Clark had fooled her at first, too. In some ways, Clark and Lex were similar, in that each had a secret and each controlled enormous, although completely different, sorts of power. But just as their power was different, so were their characters. Lex still thought he was fooling her. Clark had willingly revealed his secret earlier tonight. He'd had no way of knowing that she had already discovered it.

"Hurry," Clark said softly. "I don't want them to get too far ahead."

"Just make sure you don't get too close," Lois said, also keeping her voice low. "Can't you use your super-hearing to tell what's going on?"

"I am," Clark said.

Of course he was. Superman knew his business best. But it was hard not to be the one in charge, Lois acknowledged. Now that they both knew that she knew who Superman was behind the cape, it was a little difficult not to assume her normal role of giving the orders -- not that he seemed to mind. Together, they hurried after Henderson's group, keeping an adequate distance behind them. Henderson was a pretty competent guy, Lois thought hopefully. Maybe Lex wouldn't have a chance to pull anything unexpected. But underneath she wasn't so sure. Lex wasn't an ordinary criminal. He was unique in his scope and power. Something told her that he would rather die, and take his enemies with him into death, than allow them to triumph over him. And the realization that the idea didn't shock her at all was curiously reassuring. Maybe she had lost her perspective on Lex at first, but she had it back now. Suddenly she had a pretty good idea of what he was going to do if he couldn't deceive Henderson. That must be why he had Kryptonite with him. He must have, she thought, taken a small piece from the larger chunk and was now carrying it along concealed, as Superman insurance -- perhaps as a piece of jewelry. It would make a good ring or tie clip. Had he taken time to change into his day clothing before bringing Henderson down here? Wouldn't that have taken too much time? Maybe he was wearing it as a ring or on his watchband. Nobody would think twice if he'd put on his watch.

Clark stopped and caught her arm, bringing her to a stop. "They've gotten into some of the little cars. Wait until they're moving again."

"Lex showed them the cars?"

"Not willingly. Henderson pointed out that they must have some kind of transportation in this place and he wanted to know where it was. Luthor pretty much had to produce it."

Leave it to Henderson, she thought. But Lex's acquiescence to Henderson's request bothered her. This was too easy.

Clark said it aloud a few seconds later. "That was too easy. Something's wrong."

"I think so too," Lois said. "Lex is up to something."

His heavy brows drew together. "What do you think it is?"

Lois shrugged. "Lex doesn't like to lose," she said. "I think he'd rather die than go to jail. He wouldn't have a piece of Kryptonite with him if he didn't think he might have to deal with Superman. He has something in mind."

"And we can't do anything about it until he's tipped his hand," Clark said.

"Yeah. We're going to have to let it play out."

Clark had tilted his head a little and she guessed he was listening to what was happening with the party ahead of them. "They're moving again. Come on." He shifted the lead apron to the other arm and scooped her up. "I promised I'd take care of this or I'd leave it," he said in response to her glance. "I don't want the tech who loaned it to me to get in trouble."

"Of course not," Lois said. Clark's compulsive honesty was at work again, she thought. Of course, Superman always kept his promises. Then she frowned. "What were you going to do with it?" she asked as they glided through the air after Henderson and Luthor.

"Have you wrap the meteorite in it," Clark explained. "That would shield me from it 'til I could get something else to put it in."

That made sense. "What if you put it on? Won't it protect you from the piece Lex has with him?"

"Most of it, I guess," he said slowly. "My arms, legs, neck and head would still be exposed, but I guess most of my body would be protected."

"It might give you more time," Lois said. "If you moved fast, I'd think it would help."

"You might be right," Clark agreed. He fell silent, but from his expression Lois thought he was considering the idea. She saw him glancing around as they flew onward, keeping to the same speed as the little car that Lois had driven earlier in the evening. Time seemed to stand still in the silent, never-changing stone passage. At last Clark paused in mid-air and then floated down to a equally silent touchdown on the stone floor. He released her and touched a finger to his lips.

Ahead was the curve in the passage beyond which was the OP EMP room. Whatever Lex had in mind had to happen soon, Lois thought. There was nowhere else to go. She began to tiptoe forward until she was just barely concealed by the curve of the wall.

"I take it this is the end of the line," Henderson said.

"Exactly." Lex's voice held a note of finality, Lois thought. Whatever he was up to was coming within moments.

"Open the door," Henderson said. It was amazing, Lois thought, what one could read into a voice when you couldn't see the speaker. Henderson sounded wary. The detective knew something was up, even if he wasn't sure what it was.

"Certainly, Inspector," Lex said urbanely. "Now you shall see that I am as completely innocent as I have stated from the beginning. A man can't be blamed if he has the resources to protect himself against the unforeseen. You will find, if you bother to check, that I have ownership rights to all the land above this complex, and rights as well to the resources in the earth under it. All of this is completely legal."

"I'm sure it is." Henderson matched Luthor's tone. "But I still want to see what's in there."

"Very well." There was the faint creak of an opening door.

Followed by silence.

"What is this place?" Henderson's voice asked slowly. "It looks like one of the control rooms at EPRAD."

"Indeed," Lex said. "Lex Corp maintains a great many such stations, hidden for security reasons."

"I'm going to want to see the records on this," Henderson's voice said, sounding warier than ever. "The people I contacted said there were no permits for anything like this in the Greater Metropolis area."

"It's top secret, of course," Lex said. The tone of his voice made a prickle of apprehension run across Lois's scalp. Lex was being backed into a corner, and that was always a dangerous thing to do.

"Let's take a look." Lois heard the shuffle of feet as the party moved through the door and then the creak as the panel closed.

Clark had moved up beside her. "Something's wrong."

"You're telling me!" she said, the emphasis in her voice not at all diminished by the fact that she spoke in a whisper. "Can you hear what they're saying?"

It was obvious that Clark was listening, and the squint of his eyes told her that he was watching what was happening on the other side of the wall. "Henderson is looking around. I don't like the look on Luthor's face. Henderson says he's going to take Luthor back to the station, pending confirmation of his claim."

Lois drew a breath. Lex wasn't going to like that at all. Especially since he really *was* responsible for the explosion in space, and he had to know that Henderson would find that out once Superman reported back to him. Lex wasn't going to let them arrest him. He was bound to do something first.

It was at that instant that an alarm went off.

William Henderson was surveying the huge control center to which Lex Luthor had guided him, and everything he could see further convinced him that Lois Lane's story was accurate. "Interesting place," he said mildly. "You do realize, Mr. Luthor, that we'll need to keep you in custody until we've verified what you've told us. Considering the nuclear explosion in space, we can't afford to make a mistake."

"You'll find that you've made a very big mistake, Inspector," Luthor said with deceptive pleasantness and a faint, sardonic smile. He sauntered forward a few steps, his hands in the pockets of his robe. "Let me show you a little about this establishment. Perhaps I can convince you of my innocence."

Henderson slid a hand inside his jacket, reaching for the weapon in his shoulder holster. Luthor's words were innocuous, but Henderson didn't like the situation at all. He had been watching Lex Luthor for months and somehow the man always managed to avoid connection with any criminal enterprise that Henderson was investigating, even when the Inspector knew very well that Luthor was behind it. Right now it seemed that, with the assistance of Lois Lane and Superman, he had very possibly managed to corner the kingpin of the biggest crime syndicate in Metropolis, but it would be a mistake to let down his guard too soon.

"Keep your hands where I can see them," he cautioned.

"You have no reason to worry about me," Luthor said. He withdrew his hands from the pockets of his robe and exhibited them. "No weapons." Casually, he rested a hand on the surface of one of the consoles beside him.

Panels of clear plexiglass slammed down between Henderson and Luthor, and all around the room, separating the police effectively from their quarry. Somewhere an alarm went off.

Henderson flung himself ineffectively against the plexiglass barrier. Beyond the glass, Luthor smiled sardonically.

"Quite useless, Inspector. I fear you'll have to stay where you are." His voice sounded a little muffled, but the mockery was clear. The business magnate began to maneuver around the panels toward the door. Belatedly, Henderson realized that he and his men were cut off from the door as well as from Luthor.

"I can't have you taking me in," Luthor continued. "I'm afraid I'll have to leave you here. It won't be for long. Just until I've had a chance to leave the area. After that -- well, we won't dwell on unpleasant subjects. The room will self-destruct in approximately fifteen minutes. More than enough time for me to put a safe distance between it and myself."

"Don't do it," Henderson said. "You won't get away. Superman will hunt you down if the MPD doesn't."

"I hate to contradict you, Inspector," Luthor said, "but Superman is the least of my worries." He paused in his careful maneuvering and raised a hand. The gold watchband with a single cut gemstone of a brilliant green color winked evilly at Henderson. "I have my defense against Superman right here. Now, I mustn't waste time convincing you how helpless you are. I'll simply bid you adieu."

It was then that a fist came through the door, followed by a wrist and forearm clad in a very familiar blue sleeve. The arm withdrew and the hand grasped the metal of the door, which was wrenched from its frame with irresistible strength.

Superman stood there, and Henderson blinked at him, confused. The Man of Steel wore what appeared to be a heavy apron that covered him from throat to knee level. He didn't hesitate but strode forward and seized Lex Luthor by the arms. In an instant the billionaire was face down on the floor, with Superman's knee planted firmly in his back.

Lois Lane appeared in the doorway. She rushed to Superman and knelt beside Lex Luthor. "Where is it?"

"The watch," Superman said, his voice strained, and Henderson was astonished to see beads of sweat standing out on his face. Lois wrenched the watch from Luthor's wrist and retreated from the room.

Superman got to his feet and hauled Luthor with him. "Let's turn off that timer," he suggested in a much more normal voice.

Luthor's mouth set. "No," he said. "Lex Luthor will not live in a cage."

Superman turned and narrowed his eyes for an instant, and then strode directly to the console from which Luthor had triggered his countdown. He didn't speak, but Henderson saw him touch something. The glass panels withdrew at once.

"That won't help," Luthor said. "You have ten minutes left."

"Take him," Superman said to Henderson. "Get out of here. I'll stop the bomb."

One of Henderson's men clicked handcuffs on Luthor's wrists and the small group exited from the room as hastily as dignity would permit. Henderson glanced back. "Good luck."

Superman nodded absently. He was squinting at the console. "Go," he said. "If it blows, I don't want you nearby."

Henderson obeyed. His men had already started up the two electric vehicles that they had used to get here. Lois Lane had vanished, Henderson noted. Well, he figured the Daily Planet's top investigative reporter could take care of herself most of the time. At least he hoped she could, because he didn't have the time to hunt for her. Together, William Henderson, his four men and their captive, pushed the electric cars to their top speed, trying to put as much distance between themselves and the operations room as they could.

A few moments ahead of Henderson and his men, Lois piloted the miniature forklift along the narrow corridor. It was lucky, she thought, that she had remembered the vehicles in the storeroom, only a short distance from the OP EMP room, where she and Clark had hidden a few hours ago. She had slipped Lex's watch onto her forearm, and now she concentrated on steering the unfamiliar vehicle at the highest speed that she could manage as the minutes ticked down. Behind her somewhere, Clark was trying to defuse a bomb, and it went against all her instincts to leave him there, but it was imperative that she remove the piece of Kryptonite from his vicinity as expeditiously as she could. Superman had defused dozens of bombs in the months that he had been in Metropolis. He could manage this one much better than she could, and far better if he wasn't distracted by her presence.

But he'd better keep his promise, she swore to herself. He'd promised to be careful and not get killed, so she could interview him afterwards. They both knew that wasn't her greatest concern, but it was better than telling him how she really felt. It would embarrass her, and probably him -- and besides, she was all but certain that he had guessed what she really meant.

Surely the time was up by now, she thought, glancing at her watch.

From somewhere there came a muffled rumble, and the ground shook slightly. Lois eased up on the accelerator pedal. It looked like Clark had been forced to use a cruder method than defusing the bomb after all, she thought. But as long as he was alive, that was all that mattered.

But was he? Had the Kryptonite in Lex's watch weakened him to the point where he couldn't withstand the bomb? Lois bit her lip, fighting the urge to turn around and go back. He wouldn't thank her for putting herself in danger coming after him, but she had to exercise every bit of discipline she had not to retrace her path back to Clark.

The open door to the main passage loomed ahead. Lois turned the little forklift out into the passage and braked to a stop. If Clark didn't show up fast, she was going to forget about her promise not to go back after him.

The two electric cars driven by Henderson and his men emerged from the door after her. Lex looked at her with a faint, enigmatic smile. "I should have known," he said dryly. "'Twas Beauty killed the beast.'"

"King Kong," Henderson said, deadpan. "Faye Wray has nothing on Lois Lane."

"Don't be ridiculous," Lois said crossly.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.