Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Comments go here!

Thanks

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awesome part! Poor Clark, I just want him to feel better. I'm glad he found solace in Lois, even if it was for something other than the train wreck.
Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That's a very beautiful and sad part. You made me feel Clark's horror and sadness and loneliness so intensely.

Surely Lois doesn't really feel that Clark doesn't owe her any explanations? Surely she is interested in what he is doing? Surely she wants to be with him, too, so that it's not just him that wants to be with her?

Ah, poor Clark! I wonder what it would take for him to confide in her, at least about being Superman. I always want him to come clean with her, but in this case I honestly think that it would be a way of sharing something important with her rather than just barging in with an "I love you". Lois is a loner too, and different from basically everyone else because she is a female footy reporter. Clark is even more different. Maybe he should tell her. They could go interesting places from there.

Ah, but there is Dan, I know.... frown (And Mayson!!!!) wallbash

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
He worked as he always did - silently, efficiently, carefully, alone.
A little different from the Superman in canon. He talks to people.

"Superman! Superman! Wait! I have questions!"

He knew that voice. And that tone. He didn't need to turn around to know that Mayson Drake was closing in like a lioness with prey in her sights. Clark shot straight up into the clear blue sky of the Metropolis morning and flew southwest.
Now, if it had been Lois who was calling him...

"Perry White had a heart attack," Lois said.
OH NO! Not Perry! frown

His prognosis was good, although the doctors were strongly advising a change in lifestyle - less stress, more exercise, and an improved diet.
Did Clark not mention the paava leaves when he was hired?

Oh, so many good lines in this part!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another great part.
Female Hawk, I just realized the connection between your name and the team you barrack for.
I'm soooooooo slowwwwwwwwww lol.

Poor Clark, I feel it for him. Wanting something that you think is so out of reach. I cant wait to see how Lois will act when she can't fight her feelings for Clark any longer.

Keep up the excellent work!!! U Rock

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I absolutely loved this part - felt Clark's pain and sorrow for not being able to save all of the people and his feelings towards Lois.

And as always, looking forward to the rest of the story smile

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I felt it was time that I chimed in here. I am enjoying the story but there are parts of it that escape me.

I like the person who has been given Lois' name, but I can't see 'Lois Lane' as a sports reporter. Of course this points out the key problem I have with this particular circumstance.

I'm a fan of the Twins (baseball) and the Vikings (American football) and I do know of some people who are much more rabid than I am, but the level of obsession that the folks of Melbourne seem to have with their 'footy' seems somewhat sad to me. Are the lives of those people so empty that they have nothing else to get passionate about?

I know that all sports have their 'fanatic' fans, but those are generally the exception rather than the rule. It could just be the focus of the story that slants the viewpoint, but it seems as if the majority of people rather than an overly enthusiastic minority are 'fanatics'.

Getting back to the story. I can see Clark getting interested in reporting on the games as he has always been a sports fan, but I would think that he'd have a hard time not being curious about the hard news part of the paper. I would also expect him to wonder why Lois never chose to try that side of reporting.

I'll also be interested in seeing what it is that might bring Superman to make an appearance over in Aussie land, and what Lois' reaction to the Man of Steel will be. Maybe it will be a chance for Clark to find a confidant.

Keep it coming, even if I don't care who wins the cup or trophy or whatever it is they are playing for.

Tank (who figures that Lois' and Clark's problems will be solved when Dan falls for Mayson and doesn't come back home)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm glad L&C are still having friendly conversations, even if Lois is busy thinking what we all know she's thinking. I don't think I could handle the angst if they were cold with each other!

G
Blogger
Blogger
G
I am anticipating more from Lois' POV. We've heard so little from her, she's a bit of an enigma. How is she reacting to the Esmeralda debacle, now that she's been the one to tell Clark about Perry? I'm also wondering about how this Mayson's... tenacity... is different from canon-Lois's. Other than being rabidly anti-Superman, I mean. What makes the one attractive and the other, not so much?

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Personally, I just love this story. Having minimal knowledge of Australian football, I find the descriptions of the football very vivid and well-placed. They don't overtake the story at any point.

I don't have trouble with Lois in this setting. At the heart of any Lois is a mix of drive, passion, competition, kindness, and spunk. I see all of that here. She's still blazing her own path and the world around her is better for it. I just would like to see her get the chance to play a game or two, maybe for that women's league mentioned earlier.

Hey Tank - another Twins fan here! Have you been to the new stadium yet? Sadly, I live out of state so I haven't gotten the chance.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
"Superman," Henderson said, a little breathlessly. He seemed poised, as if he expected Clark to fly away at any moment. "We had a tip-off that this wasn't an accident, that someone sabotaged the track and weakened the structure of the tunnel to maximise the damage. What do you think?"
Huh, what's with the A-plot? confused

He loved her.
Well, well, well,...

He opened it and stared.

It was Lois.

"I ... I thought I was coming to your apartment," he managed, feeling mind-numbingly unprepared for her presence.
huh Does not date. Period. does she not date guys? Is she into aliens? Is it just because this is Lois and Clark and this is a LnC fic, so any time Lois is acting just like a friend and neither unfriendly or mooney-eyed causes complete and utter confusion in the readership? huh

Clark saw the wire leading to her ear and suddenly understood. "You were listening to the Hawthorn game?" he asked.
Hmm... Now this sounds like she cares more about her team then the game assigned to her. Can you concentrate on two games at once?

And will you post again soon?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
"Perry White had a heart attack," Lois said. "Dan said there was a big train crash in an underground tunnel, and many of the reporters were out at that. When they got back to the office, Perry had collapsed."
I totally let the fact that Lois had talked to Dan whiz on past me. It popped into my head about an hour after reading...and now I want to know so much more! What the heck are the dynamics of their relationship?

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Artemis Thanks. I wanted Lois's reaction to be something other than a cold shoulder and canon (fanon?) is certainly that Clark really needs Lois after a difficult rescue. Also, I needed Perry out of the way for a short time - so it all worked together nicely.

Ann

You made me feel Clark's horror and sadness and loneliness so intensely.
Thank you.

The point about Lois being a loner is well-made. When Iolanthe first suggested putting Lois and Clark into a footy fic, there were a lot of questions that needed answers - one was how to accentuate aspects of Lois to ensure that, despite the vastly different setting, the LnC connection was still strong. By making Lois *different* to those around her, I was able to give them common ground.

Thanks, Ann.

Iolanthe Superman minus Lois = a slightly different, and less assured, Superman!!

Maybe the paava leaves didn't work!

Thanks, Iolanthe.

Seme I remember when I first watched the 'Smiley' ep I thought it was great that Lois and Clark were 'Hawks'. When I joined these boards the choice of a name wasn't hard.

Thanks - glad you're enjoying it.

DW Thanks. I was a little concerned that we didn't really get any Superman action until Part 10, but it seems to have worked OK.

Tank

I am enjoying the story but there are parts of it that escape me.
Considering there are still at least 20 parts to go, that's good!

Re - Lois - I certainly agree that I have changed Lois - and I guess it touches on the pertinent question of how much of us is innate and how much is changed by circumstance. If canon Lois Lane had lived a much different life, how would she be different? That's what I'm exploring ... and it probably depends on each individual's perception of what is essentially 'Lois' as to how well it works.

However, I will say that this fic is mostly from Clark's POV and he's known Lois for six days. There is a whole lot more to discover about her.

RE your comments on footy. I can see where you're coming from ... and I think that could be a typical reaction. However, I don't see it as 'sad' at all. In other countries, people's passions are outplayed with guns and violence - *that* I see as sad.

Also, football is merely the vehicle - as art or music or theatre is a vehicle. It's something that families do together - it gives people bonds and memories and belonging.

Also, the football community is so all-emcompassing. You can go to any game and you'll see the beautiful, rich, successful people and you'll see the people that are none of the above. Football is relatively cheap, so unlike things such as live theatre or concerts, those less financially-viable are not excluded.

At a game, you'll see male and female, the elderly and the very young, the disabled and the abled, the rich and the poor ... all wearing their club's colours and having a great time cheering on their team.

Re Clark - there's more to come about why he came to Melbourne ... which might answer some of your questions.

Thanks for your FDK.

Amy Thanks. I'm glad you liked the way the misunderstanding was smoothed over.

Grace Re Lois - yes, we've heard very little from Lois. We're going to slowly get to know her ... just as Clark does.

The whole Mayson/Lois thing - I agree. In putting Mayson into the place that is usually Lois's, you have to wonder why Clark didn't fall for her. Of course, there is always the fact that Mayson simply *isn't* Lois, but I hope you will see other reasons too.

Thanks.

The Source Thanks, I'm so glad the football isn't distracting from the story. I tried to get the balance right - enough that the reader can get some understanding, but not so much that it gets boring.

Can I ask a dumb question? Why are they called the 'Twins'? Are there two of them? wink

Michael Sorry, just had to slip a little bit of A-plot in there.

Hmm... Now this sounds like she cares more about her team then the game assigned to her. Can you concentrate on two games at once?
Good point - I should have made it clearer. In the final moments of the game she was watching, Sydney were well ahead, so Lois took the opportunity to listen in to the very close game involving Hawthorn. I didn't mean to suggest that she had listened to the entire game and neglected her job.

Incidently, you can certainly listen to football and do other things. I know many people who have gone to weddings with a hidden radio wired to their ears!!

As for the next part ... possibly tonight. The muse has been most cooperative recently, and I've written about three parts in the past two days.

Thanks, Michael.

Corrina.

EDIT - saw your further commment, Source. Lois and Dan have worked together for a few years ... anything more, you're just going to have to wait for!!! laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Can I ask a dumb question? Why are they called the 'Twins'? Are there two of them? [Wink]
I can answer that. Minneapolis and St. Paul are known as the "Twin Cities". They really form one metropolitan area. Thus the "Twins". The football team is the "Vikings" since most of Minnesota (the state of) are descended from Scandinavians. Our family joke was that they came from Bergen, Norway and thought Minnesota was the tropics by comparison. And they know how to ice fish.
Great story and sharing of cultural information. I'd eat gummy shark in a heart beat. Shark meat is to fish like Angus is to beef.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aren't they called the "Twin Cities" because Minneapolis is on one side of the Mississippi River and St. Paul is on the other side?

Two different cities, same metropolitan area. I think I read somewhere that St. Paul was considered to be the slower-paced part of the Twin Cities. Yes? No?

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
this story is like candy, or chocolate, yummy delicious sweet but the calories bum you out - poor clark.

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
It's like hometown show-and-tell!

The Mississippi actually bisects Minneapolis and then curves along through Saint Paul, so it splits both cities. Minneapolis started as a flour milling town and the mills were powered by the river. The description Artemis gave is really good. Downtown Minneapolis is younger and hipper and downtown Saint Paul has a more historic feel, between a Cathedral on the hill and the state capitol at the base of the hill. They share an east-west border and are surrounded by several rings of suburbs that makes it, geographically speaking, a large metropolitan area.

Minneapolis skyline:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Minneapolis-skyline-20070508.jpg

Saint Paul:
http://www.hansenaudit.com/images/skyline_st_paul-07.jpg

Saint Paul winter carnival:
http://bit.ly/d86hJy
(They don't build the ice castle every year - they are way too expensive.)

Another note on twins: the University of Minnesota (with campuses in both Minneapolis and Saint Paul) is a leader in twins research, both identical and fraternal. Their studies of identical twins raised apart is particularly fascinating. Here's a little bit about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Twin_Family_Study

Who's next with the hometown? Melbourne, Minneapolis, do we have another M?

G
Blogger
Blogger
G
I'd say I'm having a tougher time getting to know this Lois than Clark is, because I come with preconceived notions about who she is and how she's "supposed" to react.

Also, the difference between Minneapolis and St. Paul is that St. Paul was designed by drunken Irishmen.[/Jesse Ventura, ex-governor and former pro-wrestler]

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard