FDK goes here.

Many thanks.

Corrina.

#71524 05/05/10 02:54 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I saw a short piece on American football (NFL, and I think the team they covered was the San Francisco 49ers) a few years ago on one of the sports channels voiced by an Australian (or maybe a Brit, I'm not sure). The thing that sticks with me is that he (the narrator) remarked - with some amazement - that when the game was over, the fans all got up from their seats and went home. They didn't stand behind the empty benches and scream or start fights in the stands or taunt the fans of the opposing team - they just went home. Peacefully.

Maybe this guy would have felt more at home in Philadelphia. The fans there booed Santa Claus several years ago. And the city of Philadelphia had to install a criminal court at the NFL stadium to take care of the crazy people who started fights or got too drunk or tried to run out on the field (a local misdemeanor) or destroyed property. It's no coincidence that the Phillies (Major League Baseball) have a mascot named the Phillie Phanatic.

All that aside, this is an intriguing story. I was wondering if Lois had any reaction to Clark which might be comparable to Clark's reaction to Lois.

She does. Boy, does she ever!

I assume that her withdrawal from him at the shore was self-protection, not unlike her running him off after the footy replay and her nap on his shoulder. Flinders is wise to beware of Rubber. He's a charmer from the old school - he doesn't have to try hard to charm them. And we're still waiting to find out what Dan and Lois meant to each other. Was Dan to Lois as Mayson was to Clark, a pursuer who wasn't going to achieve the desired goal? That's what I'm guessing, although I'm willing to be wrong.

Very interesting story. And I like the way Clark's footy education is an integral part of the story and not just forced in. The more he knows about footy, the better he knows Lois. And I wonder how she felt about that tackling lesson she gave him? Is she regretting it now, or does she wish he'd ask for more hands-on instruction?

Next chapter is up when?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#71525 05/05/10 02:58 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
She had to get a grip.

She had to get a grip now.

She could *not* fall for Clark Kent.
Too late. smile

And the WAFF continues. <contented sigh>

Looking forward to part seven (and eight, and nine, and...)

cheers,
Lynn

#71526 05/05/10 03:22 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I just finished reading part 6. This is a great fic, and so refreshingly different! I love your ability to portray Lois and Clark in an amazingly fresh light!

The attraction between these two people is lovely to see. I just hope that Lois won't be all that successful in her attempts to pull back from Clark.

Looking forward to much more of this! smile1

Ann

#71527 05/05/10 05:55 PM
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
I'm enjoying the story a lot. I'm not quite as intolerant of sports as I think I am. I may not be able to follow all of what you're describing, but it sounds like it would be interesting if I could visualize it. The images that 'The Flying Doormat' conjures... I think I prefer not knowing, because then I can fill in the blanks myself.

Kansas winters aren't all that cold, at least the few that I've experienced. Clark may be playing it up, though.

#71528 05/05/10 05:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Re the muscular footy players in the vid:

Hubba hubba! laugh

#71529 05/05/10 07:06 PM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
wow!!!! this is getting good, now if they cold just talk to each other....love this story!!!

#71530 05/05/10 10:05 PM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Totally loved this part and the WAFF!

Also love how you portray Flinders and Rubber in a new, different and exciting way laugh

And, looking very much forward to part 7 (and the rest of it) jump

#71531 05/06/10 05:52 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I dont think there is a Lois/Dan romantic relationship- more big brother -sister kind of thing.She hasn't compared the two men, something I think she would do if something was going on with Dan.Oh yeah, Esmeralda, a person who knows all about everything,didn't seem suprised to see Lois with a man other than Dan.So- when is Lois going to get something in her eye or trip and almost fall so that Clark will have a reason to touch her.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#71532 05/06/10 06:04 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
p.s., I hope that an explanation of some of the more unusual nicknames will be forthcoming. Please?

cheers,
Lynn

#71533 05/06/10 11:02 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, I did not expect Lois to be this much bothered by Clark. Or at least, that she would admit it to herself laugh I'm guessing the dating-Dan theory is out of the window after this part. And since she's thinking quite amicably about him, he is not an ex-boyfriend either. At least, not recently. Of course, they could still be friend who root for each other. clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#71534 05/07/10 12:32 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Terry Re your story - I'm wondering if the commentator was either Australian and used to Rugby League, or was in fact from England and used to soccer. Crowds at Australian Rules football are not perfect, but I see very, very few incidents and I've been to at least 100 games in the past seven years. Generally, the game finishes and people get up and go home as you described.

And I like the way Clark's footy education is an integral part of the story and not just forced in. The more he knows about footy, the better he knows Lois.
Thank you! My biggest concern with this fic was that FoLCs would lose interest because of the football.

Lynn

Too late.
laugh

Thanks for your FDK, Lynn.

Ann

This is a great fic, and so refreshingly different! I love your ability to portray Lois and Clark in an amazingly fresh light!
I really appreciate your comment, Ann, because my other concern with this fic was that Lois and Clark (particularly Lois) might seem too different from canon. It's such a balancing act - trying to portray a relationship in a new way without changing the characters so much they are almost unrecognisable.

I'm so glad you can still see Lois and Clark despite all the other differences.

Grace Thanks for reading despite sport not being hugely interesting for you.

The Flying Doormat - think bald on top, long shaggy hair from the sides and a bushy beard. I can provide a pic if you'd like ... or I can leave you to your imagination.

Iolanthe wink

Sarah Thanks, Sarah. They will talk, I promise, but if they talk too quickly, the story finishes early.

DW The WAFF ... I enjoy writing it and it's a major component of this fic. I'm glad you're enjoying it too.

Thanks.

SJH Uhmm, you could be right ... about a lot of things! (And some good points, BTW.)Thanks for the FDK.

Lynn So far no further explanations in the fic.

The Galloping Gasometer - Mick Nolan was ... round ... for a footballer. A huge gas cylinder is also round. wink

'Lethal' Leigh Matthews - it alliterates and if Matthews hit you, it was likely to be lethal.

Kevin Bartlett - had the reputation of always having a shot for goal rather than passing to a teammate in a better position - ie Hungry (for a goal). He now hosts a radio show called 'Hungry for Sport'.

Thanks, Lynn.

Michael

Wow, I did not expect Lois to be this much bothered by Clark.
You underestimated the charm of Clark Kent, Michael!

I'm not going to answer most of your questions - not here, anyway.

But ... Clark definitely called her 'honey'. wink

Thanks, Michael.

Corrina.

#71535 05/07/10 01:22 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I *know* you'er trying to humor me Miss, but I *have* seen a bunyip.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#71536 05/07/10 01:28 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Please tell us more!

#71537 05/07/10 03:32 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer