Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#71492 05/03/10 03:19 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I've been working on a very depressing deatchfic which I hope to be able to post soon. In the meantime, I needed a bit of comic relief. The idea for this story came to me this evening, and I decided to write it up and post it now. It has not been BR-ed; so for good or for ill, it's all mine.

I checked -- in 1994, Good Friday really did fall on April 1st. That timing could not have been better for this story.

As always, feedback welcomed.

cheers,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<snicker>

You had me worried there for a bit... great punchline. goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
Nice one!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
Kerth
Nice story, with a great punchline. I loved Lois's indignation at the possibility that Jimmy and Perry had worked out something *huge* and she had missed it.

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
goofy goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
LOL that was crazy..lol

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
LOL.

That was great laugh

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
laugh laugh laugh laugh
The only complaint is that this wasn't posted around April 1st. But then, maybe that worked in favor of the punchline.

I did wonder what was up. There had to be a rational explanation. But April Fool's? Did I mention laugh ?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
First, my thanks to all of you who stayed with the story until the punchline, rather than concluding that this newbie writer did not have a firm grasp of Perry's character and abandoning the story mid-read. One of my goals in writing it was to have everyone *be* in character, but to have Perry, at least, *seem* out of character until you got to the very end and realized what was really happening. If you then went back to re-read the story once you had the full context, so much the better.

Labrat wrote:
And...ahem...what was that about your muse giving up on you and there being no more stories in you for a while....?
Well, um, Would you believe that the muse didn't actually come in for a visit? She just threw the special edition onto my porch as she drove on past.

Michael wrote:
The only complaint is that this wasn't posted around April 1st. But then, maybe that worked in favor of the punchline.
I had wondered about waiting until the start of next April to post the story, but I decided against doing so for two reasons:
1) I thought it might be too obvious then. I purposely dropped the hint about Good Friday to indicate the date to any *extremely* attentive reader, but I didn't want to be so obvious as to ruin the punchline for the more casual reader.
2) Frankly, I didn't want to wait for almost a year to post this story.

My thanks to everyone who has left feedback. I'm glad the story appears to have had the intended impact. smile

Oh, I should give credit where credit is due: I got the idea of having the Planet put out a paper with the "Clark Kent is Superman!!!" headline from Alisha Knight's Kerth-winning (and deservedly so) story "From the Ruins". I did, however, take the idea in a much different direction than she did.

cheers,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the smile, Lynn. We'll take a drive-by muse attack any time.

laugh

This *is* my happily ever after.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm in middle of GEing this for the Archive and had a sudden thought.

Lynn, with Clark in Smallville, you absolutely have to give us his reaction when he sees that headline! LOL!

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Very funny! I, too, was a bit worried until the last line.

It might be as funny if the same story were set after Clark and Lois get married. Then Lois would have an even more urgent motive to dissuade Perry from printing the headline. And perhaps he could muse that 'the lady doth protest too much' and wonder why?

I have enough of my own plot bunnies taking up room in my cranium as it is. Anyone may have this one - with my urgent blessing!

You're pretty sneaky. Lynn. It was an excellent read.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap I was wondering why you were bumping up a story from 2010. notworthy

Hilarious! lol Since Lois was dating Lex, I was wondering if Lex was owner of the Daily Planet and made Perry print it. Maybe in this Alt-Universe, Perry actually LIKED that Lex took over ownership of the Daily Planet (I would have to be an extremely ALT Universe.) What will Clark's reaction to this joke be? Does Perry know the truth and is trying to pull over a fast one on his staff by calling it an April Fool's joke? Was it a one time headline that didn't make it to newsstands?

You hit it out of the ball park on this one, Lynn. clap

BTW, I did realize that April 1st happened right before Easter in 1994 (although, I had forgotten this fact when I started reading your story just now). I'm glad I'm not the only one who is detail-oriented to the nth degree with her stories. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was written just before I became seriously involved with the fandom. But reading it now made me laugh!!!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia and Morgana,

I'm glad the story brightened both of your days. I normally don't bump my own posts, but I felt remiss in not keeping up my April Fools tradition.

Virginia, I always enjoy reading the speculations you develop while reading my stories. You really do put a lot of thought into what might be taking place, and often come up with spins on things that I never would have dreamt of. I'm also happy you picked up on the little detail of my story being chronologically correct. smile

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I've been meaning to ask you for quite some time: I love the Lunkheadanian/Stubbornanian quote in your sig; what story is it from? Someday when I actually have the time (probably after I retire),I'd love to read the entire story.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Love this story! rotflol
Would love a sequel to see Clark's response... either as Clark or Superman (since Clark is visiting Martha and Jonathan).

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Cuidadora,

Thank you for your feedback. smile I'd love a sequel, too. I wish my muse would cooperate on that one, but so far, she has stubbornly refused to do so. If anyone else wishes to take up the pen (keyboard?) and write one, they have my blessing to do so, and I'd gladly read it myself.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wouldn't it be funny (although not necessarily for him) if Clark inadvertently outs himself because of that April Fool's joke headline? What would Perry do then when Clark collapses in a chair in Perry's office, his head dropping in his hand, and states, "You saw me, then? I took too many chances. I should've known that someone would've caught on sooner or later. I just hoped it would be later."

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
p.s., I've been meaning to ask you for quite some time: I love the Lunkheadanian/Stubbornanian quote in your sig; what story is it from? Someday when I actually have the time (probably after I retire),I'd love to read the entire story.
Cleo made the FDK comment on Wrong Clark and I thought it was quite apt. It's one of those never-ending stories that people like to gripe about because Clark doesn't say what he should because he's a lunkhead and Lois doesn't ask (or say) what she should, because she's stubborn. I find it funny (in a slapstick comedy sort-of-way) that these two newspaper reporters are absolutely horrible at communicating. I accept fully that I'm perpetuating that stereotype on these two characters. /shrugs/ Nobody's perfect. Eventually, they learn each other's language.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was quite a cute and funny story. Seriously great punchline, I had no idea a simple "April Fools" could work so well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard