Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71406 04/28/10 02:21 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I probably should have said this by now - the Herald Sun is a real newspaper (as is the Age). I deliberately didn't research who was the football editor in 1996, so my character of Browny wouldn't be based on anyone specific.

Thanks,

Corrina.

#71407 04/28/10 04:41 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's interesting how central footy is to Melbourne and not to the rest of the country. I would have thought it was more like the NFL--spread throughout the country. That definitely helps an outsider like me understand what's going on.

As for the story itself...so, the character of Mayson is basically our Mayson + our Lois' investigative skills + a lack of conscience. Yikes! Keep her away from Clark!!!

I love how Martha knows right away that her boy has fallen hard.

I look forward to seeing more interaction between Lois and Clark...any chance of them being stranded somewhere together? smile

"Women frustrate men because they're too complicated. Men frustrate women because they're not complicated enough."
#71408 04/28/10 07:23 PM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
australian footy is so wierd.

and mayson - even worse here than she is in the series! she did bug me, in that she didn't like superman, but at least there she was principled...yikes

now, can we have clark talk to lois about important stuff? like 'rubber' and uhm, dan?

#71409 04/28/10 07:32 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
"What do the rest call you?"

He didn't want to tell her, but Clark had learnt a long time ago that if his mom really wanted to know something, resistance was useless. "Rubber," he said quietly.
And why do they call him Rubber? My guess is that he strikes them as so well-groomed and meticulous that he might as well be a rubber doll.

[Linked Image]

Clark Kent?

"Perry knows things have been strained between Mayson and me recently, but I don't think he knows that Mayson's continual attacks on Superman land so close to home."
Gaaahh! Clark, you sure needed to get away from Metropolis if you found yourself in such bad company there!

"You're not thinking of moving to Australia, are you? Permanently?"

Clark's pause was infinitesimal but he knew it was long enough to spark his mother's suspicions.

"You *are* thinking of staying there?" she pressed.

"No," he said. "If I stayed there, I'd still be Clark Kent, formerly of Metropolis. If I move, I need to go some place where there is no link to the past."
Yeeech! Clark Kent as a fugitive, hiding behind his third identity!

"I'm not making any decisions yet, Mom," Clark said. "I want to help people, I want to use what I've been given to make a positive contribution to the world that has been my home for all these years ... but I just don't have what it takes to be a big celebrity. I hate it when they gawk at me. Superman's not even real - he's just a front, yet people can't accept that. They either idolise me like some sort of god - you've seen all the merchandise - or they are terrified that I am going to hurt them. The only way I can live my life is to be Clark Kent, regular guy. But every single time I use my powers, I put that in jeopardy."
Well put. I so love that Clark Kent, awesome superpowered guy, is so modest.

"She'll have to be someone very special," Martha said. "Someone trustworthy, someone loyal, someone who can overlook a few unusual circumstances and appreciate the heart of a truly special man."
And I love how Martha put that! And we know that Lois is definitely up to the job!

You described another love in this chapter, the love that footy fans in Victoria feel for their clubs:

"I don't know what it's like your country, but here - in Victoria - footy is everything. Many, many people - people whose lives are hard, people who have very little - find their greatest joy in their footy team. They identify with it, love it, consider it a part of their family, talk about it, mourn the lost games, gloat over the victories, and cry over the memories - both good and bad. It is something that binds us all together. It is said that if you can talk footy, you can talk to anyone in Melbourne and find common ground."
When you said this, I thought of what you said in your comment to my FDK for part 3 of your fic:

Interesting that American football is about to hit Sweden.
Well, no. American isn't "about to hit Sweden". Because there won't be much of an impact.

American football is already played in Sweden. We have a team in my hometown of Malmö, called the Limhamn Griffins. They play their matches at the Hästhagens IP, close to where I live:

Hästhagens IP

I cycle past this playing field every day on my way to work. Occasionally there is a game of American football going on. As you can see, there isn't room for a lot of spectators.

Sweden has a national team, too. Here they are playing against the Danish national team. As you can see, the Swedish players don't even wear the same style helmets. I believe the match was played at Hästhagens IP. Who won? I think Sweden did, but really, since so few people care the result probably made page seven in the sports section.
American football. Sweden vs. Denmark

Why are some sports so incredibly popular in some countries and regions, and so forgotten and ignored in other countries and regions? I think it is all a question about local traditions. Do you see this sport a lot on TV where you live? Do the newspapers write a lot about it? Are you expected to know the names of the best players? Will little kiddies wear kiddie versions of the best player's jerseys (or shirts, or whatever they are called)? Are people encouraged to consider their support of a certain team an important part of their identity? Will "ladies' magazines" write about the best players' marriages and love affairs? If the answers are yes, yes, yes, yes and yes, then the sport will be extremely well-loved in the part of the world where it gets this much attention.

In Sweden people tend to be passionate about soccer, if they are passionate about a sport at all. These are the entusiastic fans of the soccer team of Malmö, MFF:

[Linked Image]

It's strange that people can feel so much for a team, or maybe it isn't strange at all.

And Lois's team is in danger of being relocated and "lost". Something tells me that Lois will help save her team. And maybe she will save Clark from Mayson, too?

Ann

#71410 04/29/10 03:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Interesting ...it leaves me wanting more.

#71411 04/29/10 05:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Melbourne & Perth are in the same footy league but they are across the country?
Melbourne, AS 144.9667
Perth, AS 115.8333
Miles: 1692.03
Kilometers: 2722.99
Bearing: NW
I guess that's similar to the American Football League and the National Football League in the US, but we also have major cities in between. There's not much between Melbourne & Perth.
I'm only curious because my cousin would barrack for the Eagles.
Anyway, great story going on here. So Mayson is like a pit bull on a pant leg and is a journalist for the Daily Planet and doesn't trust Superman as in LnC canon. Great piece of plotting!
I'm anticipating seeing Superman in skies in Australia! It would be interesting if he took up residence there.
Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis
P.S. I'm curious about "Rubber" too. My mother-in-law always called her rain boots "rubbers". Very midwest of her but we couldn't keep from snickering.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#71412 04/29/10 06:01 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
All right. I had been planning to leave my public speculations about "Rubber" until the real explanation is posted. I was afraid of possibly ruining a story surprise. But since others are speculating, and since I know from a private e-mail exchange with Corrina that my guesses are wrong, I'll post them here. If you don't want to be spoiled by incorrect guessed, please skip the rest of this post.

My two ideas were:

1) A "rubber" in Great Britain refers to what we in the U.S. would call an eraser. Guessing that it may have the same meaning in Oz, I speculated that it was a nickname disparaging Clark's writing skills - that it implied he made a lot of mistakes that had to be erased.

2) Rubber is a very flexible material. My second guess was that it was intended as a tribute to Clark's flexibility in being willing to fly half-way around the world at a moment's notice to cover a sport about which he knew nothing but was willing to learn.

I am really looking forward to finding out the actual origin of "Rubber" as Clark's nickname.

Kudos on another excellent story part. You really captured Clark's relationship with his mother. I've always loved that although he is a highly respected journalist at a world-class newspaper, and his alter-ego is, as you put it, idolised as some sort of a god, nevertheless to Martha and Jonathon he is just their little boy grown up, albeit an incredibly precious and special son.

cheers,
Lynn

#71413 04/29/10 07:21 AM
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Another great part!

And I cannot wait to find out the meaning of "Rubber".

Looking forward to more hyper

#71414 04/29/10 10:01 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Eww, Mayson sounds like a real charm. And she's a reporter, too? Say, is the Preston Carpenter of this alt-world named Lex?

"Only after I got far more brutally honest than I was comfortable with,"
So, did it go something like this: "I would love to have dinner with you. It's just, I need to return a book tonight. So, rain check?" laugh Or maybe: "I'm not sure I'm the man for you. You see, Ralph over there-" "What? Are you suggesting that I and Ralph...?" "No, no, Mayson. It's just... Did you notice his bald spot. They say, men with a bald spot are particularly... Well, I really hope that he and I..."

The whole club-situation is dizzying. And sounds really weird, for it to happen this late in the game. And how can someone order a club to relocate?

Anyway, am hoping you get the writing part of this piece done soon because now I'm up to speed and waiting for 3 days is going to be really not fun.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#71415 04/29/10 01:51 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Queen of Aces

Historically Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania played Aussie Rules.

New South Wales and Queensland played Rugby League.

However, it was/is Victoria (Melbourne) where Aussie Rules was/is most popular.

Mayson - good description.

Yikes! Keep her away from Clark!!!
I did!! I took him all the way to Melbourne to get him away from her!

Stranded together - stranded? Not really. Together? Definitely.

Thanks!

Sarah Mayson - I see her as an extreme form of Lois - so determined to get the story, she is willing to completely abandon her ethics when necessary. Also her suspicious mind extends to Superman, which Lois's never did.

Clark will talk to Lois about Rubber in Part 5.

Thanks, Sarah.

Ann Your explanation for Rubber is more creative than mine! Lynn's are too!

Gaaahh! Clark, you sure needed to get away from Metropolis if you found yourself in such bad company there!
Metropolis without Lois Lane ... no wonder Clark was willing to leave for three months.

Yeeech! Clark Kent as a fugitive, hiding behind his third identity!
I didn't mean to imply another identity - just that he felt he needed to go somewhere for a completely new start.

All that blue in the pic of the soccer fans!

I thought people from Sweden loved tennis as a sport too. They certainly do well at it.

It's strange that people can feel so much for a team, or maybe it isn't strange at all.
Thank you for that comment. One of my concerns in this fic is the difficulty in portraying the depth and intensity of love for a football team. I mean, if I write that Clark Kent walks into a room, meets Lois Lane, and immediately falls in love with her, no one in FoLCdom is going to question that. If I write that Lois Lane makes certain big decisions based on her love for an Australian football club, that is going to be harder to sell. Your comment makes me hopeful that it is coming across OK. Thanks.

Seme It's always great when a reader wants more. Thanks.

Artemis Yes, since 1987, there's been a WA team in the AFL. The flight takes about five hours.

Thanks for the comments re Mayson. With so much non-LnC (football), I tried to bring in canon characters, even if I've changed their roles a little.

Australians call rain boots 'gum boots'! Your comment is not completely off track.

Lynn Thanks, Lynn. I like both of your explanations. Alas, mine is a lot simpler.

Great description of Clark's relationship with his parents.

DW Explanation for Rubber coming in part 5.

Thanks.

Michael

And how can someone order a club to relocate?
If you have no money and have to rely on the AFL (administrators) to pay your debts, they can tell you to do anything. Of course they can sugar-coat it with concessions and freebies so it looks like a win-win deal.

Thanks, Michael.

I've put a list of AFL clubs in the TOC folder. You can refer there if/when you find that helpful.

Thanks everyone. Part 5 is big. I've tried to find somewhere to put in a chapter break, but there isn't anywhere suitable. There is a small chance you will get it Friday night. Most likely scenario is Sunday night.

Corrina.

#71416 05/01/10 03:30 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I finally got a chance to read this chapter and I LOVED the scene with Martha! It struck me as poetic--you could feel Clark's love for her, and hers for him. I am wondering how long it will be before Martha will somehow get a chance to meet Lois, even though she's on the other side of the world.

#71417 05/01/10 04:23 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Loving your story as a fellow Melburnian. I'm a long time lurker decloaking briefly - some oldies may possibly remember me. Clark and Rubber - very clever (she adds knowingly)!!
Oh and Go Bombers. smile

#71418 05/01/10 01:21 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
cookiesmom Thanks for you FDK. I'm glad you liked the scene with Clark and Martha. It's a great relationship to write.

As for Martha meeting Lois ... that seems entirely possible, given Clark's abilities!

Aussie T Thanks for decloaking smile I'm really pleased you're enjoying the fic.

Thanks also for not blowing the secret as to why Clark is Rubber. It will be revealed in Part 5.

Speaking of part 5 - I have a lot to do in RL today, but should be able to post it this evening.

Corrina.

#71419 05/01/10 01:26 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Clark and Rubber.... ah, I've just cottoned on! Nice one!

#71420 05/01/10 09:02 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, I get it too!

[Linked Image]

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard