Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kerth
Kerth
Haha, very clever story! Another who has read this all in one go, and I think it worked out rather well. Looked it up as soon as I saw the FDK thread and enjoyed it immensely. The ironic thing is that I've been in a Sherlock Holmes mood of late- before reading this story- having just rewatched the new movie and a couple of episodes aired on PBS of 'Sherlock' where it's all modern day, which is a very interesting premise in itself, though for some reason the actor who plays Sherlock reminds me of Dan Scardino (something about his face...) - if you haven't seen it yet, you should consider looking it up... *rambles*... laugh

That, along with rumors of there being a sequel to the recent Sherlock Holmes film... this fit my mood perfectly! Sometimes I wonder if you people can read my mind peep

-- SJT ;P

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi SJT,

It's nice to see another person who shares an interest in both L&C and SH.

I did briefly try the PBS version of SH, but I had a hard time with the anachronism. To me, an occasional piece of comedy or fantasy aside, SH belongs in Victorian and, to a lesser extent, Edwardian England. I have no problem with him visiting other eras *as the plot demands*, but I saw no reason for the PBS show's change in time other than trying to make him more accessible to modern audiences -- which, frankly, I find an insult to my intelligence. (Yes, I also like my Shakespeare 'straight up', so to speak. IMHO, changing the time or location from the one Shakespeare had intended serves no purpose other than novelty for novelty's sake. And yes, I know I am probably in the minority here.) huh

In any event, I'm glad my mixing and matching these two very different fandoms worked for you. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I did briefly try the PBS version of SH, but I had a hard time with the anachronism. To me, an occasional piece of comedy or fantasy aside, SH belongs in Victorian and, to a lesser extent, Edwardian England. I have no problem with him visiting other eras *as the plot demands*, but I saw no reason for the PBS show's change in time other than trying to make him more accessible to modern audiences -- which, frankly, I find an insult to my intelligence.
Is the PBS version the BBC version starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes? If so, then I'm exactly the opposite, it has to be said and I suspect you're right, Lynn, that the series was designed not for the diehard SH fan but for those who were never interested in Holmes before.

I was firmly in that category - never read the books, never watched any of the movies - but for some reason watched the pilot of Sherlock and absolutely loved it. I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been reset into a contempory setting, although the main attraction for me was the chemistry between the two leads. But the setting was definitely there in the mix as part of the draw.

Sorry...gone OT there. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, Labby, it is the Benedict Cumberbatch Holmes. I liked it a lot too, but I do understand what Lynn is saying here about moving setting. It's only done for the purposes of securing an audience. clap Loved that little tidbit!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Huh, that's funny. I've just recently, and accidentally stumbled across 21st century Sherlock.

And, yes, they're doing a sequel to the latest Sherlock Holmes movie:

Anyway, back to Sherlock. To think of it in LnC terms, it's actually a Soulverse adaption goofy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
LabRat, although I'm not going to watch the show, if it drew you (and, presumably, others) in enough to enjoy Sherlock Holmes, it served its purpose. smile

Mouserocks, I've read and enjoyed at least some of all of the authors you listed. And I *know* I've steeped myself in what some of my compatriots might deem too much British literature and entertainment. As an elementary school student, I got 'color' wrong on a spelling test because I spelled it 'colour'! I try to use the American orthography in my fanfic (this story being a notable exception), since the stories take place in the U.S. and are from the POV of Americans. But you may have noticed that my orthography is usually an odd admixture of American and British.

Michael, lol at the Soulverse adaptation.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard