It's been so long since I posted a part everyone's probably forgotten what happened up until now. Again, RL has been exhausting. Shoulder pain (the shot only helped for a week or so) coupled with the nastiest virus known to man tends to take a lot out of a person, especially when it lasts for three weeks!

Anyway, the weather's been gorgeous and I'm feeling better. I hope to finish this up quickly, so that I can wrap up another piece I've been working on for a while.

Enjoy!

++++

"Hey, Clark? Look what Scott taught me to do," Mike yelled just before he leaped backwards off the front of the pontoon. He completed a perfect flip before splashing into the lake.

Clark clapped along with everyone else when the boy surfaced. "Try it this way." He ran toward the end of the boat, jumping into the air, then flipping backwards to dive into the water.

"That was great!" Mike told him when he came up for air.

"A half gainer," Clark informed him.

"Race ya' back to the boat," Mike challenged, then set off in that direction.

Clark laughed softly before following.

Lois smiled as she watched from her seat under the canopy. It was a gorgeous, sunny day, albeit a bit warm. She was slathered in sunscreen; the last thing she needed was to burn. Their group had spent the rest of the morning and much of the afternoon out on the lake. They'd eaten sandwiches from the cooler for lunch, and Scott had cracked open the first beer to wash it down with. He'd since downed quite a few. The men had showed off their skills on the skis and they'd all been for a swim more than once. They'd debated which of the summer's movies was the best, talked about Lois' gallery opening later in the next week, and had listened to Scott moan about his co-workers. They'd all been entranced when Clark shared a brief childhood story. It had been a terrific day.

Mike giggled and pointed from the deck of the boat. "I beat you," he bragged.

"Yeah, yeah," Clark moaned as he pulled himself up. "Show off," he said softly.

The young boy laughed out loud, then leaped in again. Clark shook his head before making his way over to the others.

"Tell 'em, Clark," Scott was saying. "Tell them you haven't sold one of your books to be rewritten as a screenplay."

"Not that I know of," he answered as he took a seat beside Lois. He exchanged a glance with her before focusing on the others.

She felt her heart sigh. That look... it could melt icebergs. And it was a look he only gave her.

"I told you," Scott said loudly.

"I was just telling you what I'd heard," Trish replied.

"Don't believe everything you hear," Scott answered.

"Scott's right," Clark agreed. "You've seen me in swimming trunks and I'll bet money you've heard I was some kind of monster under my clothes."

That silenced them all. They cast a sympathetic expression toward their new friend.

"I've heard it all," Clark went on as he reached out to take the beer from Lois' hand and took a sip.

"And don't it just piss you off?"

Clark laughed at Scott's question. "Yeah, Scott, sometimes it does."

"Stupid bastards should mind their business." Scott slugged down some of his beer. He was brutally honest when he was drinking. Heck, he was brutally honest when he wasn't drinking. "I remember when I first came out. It was awful. I could have handled it if they'd said things to my face. But those whispers!"

"You don't have to be gay... or even super to hear whispers from people who think they know more than you," Trish put in. "Folks just don't seem happy unless they're talking about someone else."

"Tell me about it," Lois mumbled.

The conversation continued in that vein for a bit. Mike clamored back onto the boat asking for food. And eventually Dave pulled up anchor and set them on a course back down the lake. Everyone continued to chat, laughing now and then. Lois was content to listen to the man at her side all day. He had the sexiest voice... and an even sexier laugh. He was enjoying himself, which made her glad she'd invited him. Suddenly he got up and reached for the volume on the radio. It had been playing softly in the background, but something had gotten his attention.

"... should do all you can to avoid Exit 10 on I-95. Authorities aren't sure what the truck was hauling, but the area is strewn in debris. We are hearing early reports of at least three casualties..."

"Go!" she told him when his stricken eyes shot toward her. He looked almost relieved before he handed her the bottle in his hand and disappeared in a streak.

"Damn! I hope he doesn't do everything that fast," Scott said after a brief silence, everyone clearly awe struck by his departure.

It finally registered what he'd said, causing the small group to burst into laughter. For the briefest moment, Lois wondered the same thing.

Boy, was she in trouble!

He'd told her he wouldn't leave unless it was for something major. Granted, the accident on the freeway had been horrific, and he'd saved a couple of lives, but it didn't make him feel any better for having ducked out on their peaceful weekend.

Clark landed with a soft plop on the deck, then reached to open the sliding door.

"How was it?"

He lifted his head to see Lois chopping vegetables in the kitchen. "Not very pleasant," he answered flatly as he headed toward his room. He needed to shower and change. Although he'd changed back into his swimming trunks, he needed to wash off the feel of death that seemed to seep into his skin when others died during a rescue. Yeah, he knew they'd died before he'd even gotten there, but it didn't make him feel better about it.

Lois' hand grasped his arm, bringing him up short at the end of the counter. "I'll listen if you need to talk."

Her voice was soft and the look in her eyes almost made him cry. She meant what she said. She'd listen all night if he needed her to. His parents and Jimmy had listened to him whine more than once, and although it had always made him feel better, he wasn't sure he wanted to drop so much onto her shoulders. Not now.

But her very being seemed to call to him. His expression softened and he gave her a grateful glance. He couldn't speak; he didn't trust his voice just now. The compassion he saw reflecting back at him was overwhelming. And somehow Lois seemed to understand what he felt at that moment. She gave his arm a squeeze before lifting her hand from him. He'd talk to her, he thought to himself. After his shower, he'd tell her how rotten he felt when others perished.

He nodded, then disappeared into the bedroom.

Poor guy, Lois thought as she continued her dinner preparations. She'd heard the reports. There was nothing Clark could have done to save those people, yet he felt bad because they'd died. How did he deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis by himself? How did he manage to remain so up beat and giving when he saw the things he did? He'd looked so lost when he came in.

She looked up when the door to the bedroom opened. Clark emerged, his expression not as stricken as it had been when he went in. She just offered him a knowing smile. He looked almost grateful that he didn't have to explain. He went out the back door again. Lois watched as he became a blur on the deck. Within minutes he was walking back in.

"I need to wash up," he told her.

She nodded as he again left the room. He was back a moment later.

"I cleaned the fish," he explained. She must have had a questioning expression on her face.

"Ahh." She'd forgotten about the fish. They'd put them on ice before going out on the boat earlier. Clark rummaged through the cabinets, digging out a few spices. He really does cook, she thought as she watched him move around the kitchen. He seemed to be right at home. "The kitchen was never my favorite place," Lois said to break the silence.

"You don't cook?" he asked as he worked.

"No, no. I cook... just not very well. I make a mean pasta, an awesome salad, and order the best take-out in the world."

Clark chuckled before he stopped to look at her. "Thank you," he told her seriously.

"For what?"

"For being here." He reached out to rub her arm.

She placed the knife she held on the cutting board before facing him fully. Staring into his eyes for a second, she did the only thing she knew to do. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. He was incredibly tense, but after a moment he relaxed into the embrace. His strong arms came up to hold her tight against his chest and he sighed.

"Guess we need to come back later."

Lois reluctantly pulled away from Clark to see Scott and Trish cross the living room. She glanced up at Clark, relieved to see him smile at her.

"Two more minutes and we might have been busy."

Lois gasped when she heard what Clark said. He gave her a devilish wink. "You'll pay for that one," she told him when she realized she'd been poked fun at.

"Promises, promises," he said softly.

"Clark Kent!"

He laughed and moved over to greet their guests. Lois couldn't believe he'd just done that. That devil! She was glad he felt better after his rescue though. And maybe later he'd tell her about it.

She greeted Trish as Clark and Scott made their way back outside. Gradually, the evening began to tick away. Everyone else arrived and they all shared a wonderful meal. Clark seemed pleased with the praise he received on his cooking. No one asked him about his rescue. Scott had commented about his speed, which caused Clark's cheeks to turn bright red. He'd talked, he'd laughed, and he'd looked as relaxed as he'd been before the accident. But Lois saw the shadow that seemed to loom around him now. He looked at her more than once with sad eyes. She'd almost told everyone to go home so she could hold him until that shadow lifted. It was hard seeing him this way, knowing he was in pain.

How had she fallen so deeply in such a short time? God help her, she was lost.

It had only taken him a few seconds to clean up from dinner. Now he stood on the back deck, looking out over the water. Their guests had gone home a little while ago. Deb had given him a hug and whispered in his ear to feel better. Had he been that transparent?

He almost jumped when Lois rubbed his back.

"Sorry," she told him. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Not a very easy thing to do," he pointed out.

"I guess not," Lois agreed, tugging her ear lobe.

He smiled down at her. This woman was fantastic. He couldn't stop himself from wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her close. Her arms closed around his waist and she leaned into his side. They stood in silence for what seemed like hours before she spoke.

"You did all you could."

"I know," he answered. "I just hate to lose anyone."

"I know," was her reply. She tugged at him until he looked down into her eyes. "Even a super man has his limits. You told me that yourself."

He lifted his other arm to surround her. "I have to grieve for them, Lois, or I'd never be able to go to another rescue." He watched as understanding flashed in her eyes.

"The world doesn't have a clue what they've got," she said as her hands smoothed over his back.

No one had ever made him feel like he did at that moment. He couldn't explain it. Being Superman had never been as sweet. He leaned over and kissed her soundly. In seconds, their encounter went from comforting to passionate. He buried his hands in her hair to hold her to him while her hands knotted into a fist in his shirt. Soft moans and sighs punctuated the night air. Their kiss grew into an all out assault on one another. They drew apart only long enough to stumble through the sliding door.

He wasn't sure how they'd ended up in Lois' room. They'd continued to explore, with mouths and hands. She'd pushed his shirt off somewhere between the deck and the bed. Realization hit when he felt the soft, warm flesh of Lois' hot skin against his palms.

"Please don't stop it," she begged when he grew still. She covered his large hands on her body with her own, urging him to continue his soft exploration.

"Lois..." Whatever he was going to say was cut off as she pressed her lips against his again. He should stop this. There was just too many strings attached to any kind of association with him, let alone the complications this could cause. But rational thought rushed from the recesses of his mind when he felt her hot hand brand him.

When had she gotten his clothes off?

It had been entirely too long since he'd had this kind of encounter and she felt much too good for him to stop. Clark's chest rumbled his approval as she continued her exploration of his body. He lifted her up and settled with her on the bed, settling his body on top of hers. She readily accepted him.

When had they gotten her clothes off?

It was all a haze now, his mind much too muddled to think. He jerked his mouth from hers and buried his face in the hollow of her neck, sighing deeply.

"Oh, Clark," Lois moaned and as she did, her body eased into the mattress, lost in the sensations of the moment.

"Lo-is!" he hissed, slowly losing himself in their actions. "You... are... so... beautiful," Clark told her as he lifted his hand to smooth over the side of her face.

It all became too much, and he closed his eyes to allow his mind to catch up with his body. It was if they already knew one another intimately.

In a fog of pleasure, Clark collapsed beside her. They both lay there, staring up at the ceiling. Finally rational thought came back and he turned his head to look at the woman beside him. She was staring at him, a satisfied smile on her lips.

"Proud of yourself?" he asked her, unable to stop his own smile.

"Very." She reached over and smoothed his hair back on his head.

Clark leaned over and placed a soft kiss on her lips. "Thank you."

"Thank you." She leaned up over him, her small hand covering his cheek. Without saying a word, they exchanged an entire conversation.

Not one regret. He couldn't find a single one in her dark eyes. All he saw was intense desire. He'd had no idea a woman could want a man the way this woman wanted him. She initiated the next encounter. Before long, they were completely naked exploring one another thoroughly. Lois took Clark into the night on a wave of passion he'd never experienced before. For the first time in his life, he was thrilled to be so completely lost.

Clark blinked several times as the morning sun dragged him from his haze. His arms tightened automatically around the soft, pliant body lying on his chest. She moaned, a sound he'd come to love hearing. And he'd heard it many, many times the night before.

"Too early," she whined, burying her face against his chest.

He simply sighed, content to hold her like this all day.

"Why don't you have hair on your chest?"

Her question caused him to chuckle softly. "I have no idea," he told her, smoothing his palms over her back.

"Maybe it's a Kryptonian thing," she said as she lifted her head to look at him.

"Maybe," he agreed as he tucked a stray hair behind her ear. Damn! She was even more beautiful this morning. Did this woman have any faults?

"It's bad, isn't it?" she asked him when he continued to stare at her.

"What?"

"Morning head." She pushed a hand through her hair, trying in vain to straighten the wayward locks.

"I think you're kind of cute." He rolled a few strands of her hair between his fingers, his mind taking him back to last night. He'd inhaled the scent of her shampoo more than once. He could still taste her, feel her. He'd never enjoyed sex the way he had with this woman. And he'd certainly never felt the way he had in the throes of passion. Lois made him feel more alive than anything ever had.

"I think you're partial to brunettes."

"Just partial to this brunette." His hand cupped her face tenderly and he offered her a smile.

"You are so good for my ego," she told him as she pushed up to kiss him quickly before sliding to the edge of the bed.

"Where ya' going?"

"My bladder is screaming for relief." He laughed softly and watched her hurry across the room toward the bathroom. "And I need coffee," she called from behind the cracked door.

Okay. He could take a hint. He pushed up from the bed and pulled on his shorts, opting to leave off his shirt. She'd already seen him naked anyway. Smiling again at the reminder of their night together, he left the bedroom to start the coffee pot. Too preoccupied with his scandalous thoughts, he didn't hear the other woman enter the kitchen until he closed the cabinet door and was face to face with a petite brunette wearing only a tee shirt and underwear.

She shrieked loudly, almost scaring him senseless. Slowly the girl collected herself, her hand over her heart from the fright she'd just received. Then the fear left her eyes as surprise replaced it.

"You're... you're..." She looked around the room as if to make sure she was in the right place. "You're... Superman!" Her eyes roamed his body briefly. "Half naked in my kitchen!" Her eyes shot downward as she realized she was less than dressed herself. Without a word she ran from the room.

Clark was left to stare after her.

"Did I hear someone scream?" Lois asked as she entered the room.

"Ah, I think I just met your sister," Clark told her with a wry smile. He finished starting the coffee before he looked up at Lois. She was wearing a tee shirt and shorts, but without his super eyes he could tell she'd left off her bra. If not for the sudden intrusion moments before, he would have taken advantage of that situation.

"Then I'm glad you spent the night with me," Lois said as she eased up beside him. "Could you imagine the fright you'd have given her if you'd been in the bedroom?"

"Yeah," Clark agreed with a chuckle. He leaned over to place a kiss on Lois' nose before he headed around the counter. "I should probably put a shirt on."

"Damn, Lucy," Lois mumbled.

He laughed softly as he disappeared into the bedroom. While he was there, he took a moment to clean up a bit in the bathroom. A shiny, silver case caught his attention. He lifted it from the vanity, realizing it was Lois' birth control pills.

Damn! He'd never once thought about taken precautions with Lois. He felt like kicking himself. He wasn't sure why something so important had slipped his mind. He'd certainly never forgotten when he was with Lana.

He turned the offending object over in his hands several times. Lois, too, had failed to mention precautions. Had she trusted him that much? She might have been protected from pregnancy, but what about other things? Did she just assume he was safe because he was Superman? And that he would be protected from her? Their relationship was at such a critical juncture, and it could have potentially been ruined by lack of good sense. The only thing that had been on his mind was being completely and utterly surrounded by that woman.

Yet, it still didn't excuse his lack of responsibility. He finished washing his face, then went back out to the kitchen.

Lois was in the middle of an animated conversation with Lucy, but the younger woman clamped her mouth shut when she saw Clark. He felt a little uncomfortable under her scrutiny.

"I was telling Lucy that you and I are friends," Lois said and pushed her sister toward him. "Lucy, this is Clark Kent. Clark, Lucy Lane."

Clark's manners prompted him to offer her his hand in greeting. "It's good to meet you, Lucy," he told the awe struck woman. She nodded numbly as she shook his hand, obviously too taken by his celebrity to say a word. Clark flashed a look at Lois, begging her for help.

"Lucy, he's just a man," the older woman hissed, clearly embarrassed with the way her sister was acting.

"One hell of a man," Lucy murmured as she continued to stare at him. Then suddenly she jerked her head toward Lois. "And he saw me half naked," she whispered fiercely.

"Then you're even," Lois reminded her. "I think he was minus a shirt."

"That's not the same!" Lucy folded her arms across her chest and stared daggers at Lois.

"Believe me, Lucy, I'm just as embarrassed by our meeting..." Clark began but was cut off.

"You can't possibly be," she told him through clenched teeth. She closed her eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, then looked back up at him. "I'm really sorry."

"So am I," Clark told her, offering what he hoped was a comforting smile to ease the tension between them. She seemed to consider that for a second before she smiled back. "How about a cup of coffee?" Clark didn't wait for an answer, just went to work pouring them all some of the fragrant brew. "I'll cook breakfast," he offered. "You two can catch up." He set their coffee on the table and left to start breakfast.

"I cannot believe you spent the night with him," Lucy whispered to Lois.

"Lucy..." Lois' voice was louder, more of a conversational tone.

"He's like this god or something. Look at him!"

"Lucy, stop!" Lois tried again.

"How is he?"

"He can hear you," Lois pointed out matter-of-factly.

That worked. Lucy closed her mouth and snapped her eyes toward Clark. He continued to prepare breakfast as if he hadn't heard them. It was nothing new for him, though it stung a bit after the night he'd spent. And he needed to speak with Lois- apologize for his lack of responsibility. He just hoped his indiscretion hadn't ruined anything.

Lois wasn't sure she'd lived through a worse morning than the one she just had. She'd watched, in complete horror, as her sister made a fool of herself. Poor Clark had looked as if wanted to crawl underneath the table more than once. This must have been what he'd feared in making this trip with her. She was thankful none of the others had acted this way.

"Just give us a minute, Luc," Lois called as her sister exited through the back door.

"'Kay!" Lucy gave Lois a thumbs up, grinning widely as she backed down the dock toward the boat.

Lois pushed the door closed again and sighed heavily. "I can't believe that girl!"

"Come on. She's not that bad."

She turned to face Clark. "Superman doesn't lie." Clark shrugged innocently. "I'm sorry," she told him as she eased toward him. She stopped and eyed him closely. His body language was far from invitational, and he'd been distant all morning. Granted, he'd been subjected to Lucy's open infatuation. But she could tell there was something wrong. His expressions had changed. There was definitely something on his mind. "Let's have it."

"Have what?" Clark leaned back against the counter.

"Whatever it is that's been bothering you." She placed her hands on her hips, clearly challenging him to deny it. "And it's not the way Lucy's been acting."

His expression grew serious and he stood up straighter. "Last night..."

"Clark, I wanted that to happen just as much as you did." Please don't let him regret it now, she begged silently. She couldn't stand it if he felt that way.

"And I want it to happen again," he assured her. "But, Lois, I never once thought about taking precautions."

She smiled slightly. Leave it to the boy scout to be thinking about that. Sure, she'd been caught up in the moment as well. But she was covered. She'd taken birth control pills forever. "I think we'll be okay," she told him.

He winced a little. "It was my responsibility..."

"It was *our* responsibility. And I seem to recall being just as out of control as you were."

"That's just it. I should never be that out of control."

"Why? Because you're Superman you can't get carried away sometimes?" He stared at her blankly. "You're a man, too."

"And even a man should take responsibility for what he does."

Lois sighed heavily. "Okay. We should have thought about it..."

"Discussed it. Done something about it," Clark insisted.

She pushed a hand through her hair. "You're right. But Clark, I've been on the pill for years..."

"Even so, I shouldn't have taken the situation for granted."

"You weren't thinking..."

"Exactly! I was..."

"Hopefully thoroughly preoccupied." His eyes locked with hers and for a moment she feared that he did regret their night together. Then he smiled at her- the smile that could melt ice.

"Thoroughly," he told her as he reached to pull her close. "Thoroughly and utterly preoccupied," he whispered as his lips descended on hers.

She giggled softly, but yielded to his touch, kissing him in return. She was the one to break the contact. "We should go."

"Yeah," he agreed without taking his eyes off hers.

They shared another brief kiss before making their way out of the house. They were sharing brunch with the group this morning and didn't want Lucy to leave them behind. Lois felt a rush of relief. Clark didn't regret what they'd shared. And he hadn't bolted after his meeting with her sister. Maybe that meant he might feel about her a little like she did about him.

And now was not the time for her to analyze her feelings. She'd do that later, when she was alone. She could berate herself for hours. Right now she would just enjoy being with him. Everything else could wait.

"I wish you two would join us," Deb said as she walked with Lois and Clark to the end of the dock.

"That might cause complications," Lois told her.

"I know." Deb pulled on the arm she held, stopping them both. "I'm just reluctant to say good-bye."

"I know," Lois returned before she leaned forward to hug her good friend.

"Clark, it was a blast," Scott told the man.

Clark clasped the hand before him. "I'm just glad you guys didn't run me off."

"Not a chance." Scott moved over so Dave could shake hands with their new friend.

"Take care of our girl," Dave told him.

Clark glanced at Lois, then smiled fondly. "I will. And you take care of this little guy." Clark reached over to ruffle Mike's hair.

"Don't forget about Tasha," Mike said with a grin.

"Not a chance." Clark turned and was face to face with Deb. She simply reached to hug him.

"We'll keep Lucy here until you two leave."

Clark chuckled softly. Even Deb had noticed how the younger woman had fawned over him. Trish had stayed behind to keep her company while he and Lois made their getaway. Everyone around the brunch table had looked as uncomfortable as he'd felt all day. It was Scott who'd pulled Lois aside and made the suggestion they leave early while Lucy was occupied. Clark had already apologized for not being able to join them on their outing later in the afternoon. They'd all understood and had worked as a team to get them moving without their early morning guest.

They said a final good-bye, then made their way back to the house. After packing up, they set out for the drive back to the city. Conversation during the trip was light, about nothing in particular. Finally Lois pulled her Jeep to a stop in front of his building.

"Want to come in for a while?" he asked, unwilling and unable to part just yet.

"Sure. But..." She looked around briefly. "What about spectators?"

"Give me a second?" He gave her an apologetic expression. When she nodded, he disappeared in a blur. A few moments later he was opening the door for her. He felt awful to have to treat her this way. "I'm sorry," he told her.

"I'm not," she replied as she took a step toward him.

They stood there, eyes locked, searching in each other's eyes for the things they'd both longed for. Not another word was said. Clark stepped forward and almost inhaled Lois. She went willingly.

"Will I see you later?" Lois held his hands as they stood in front of his door. It was Monday morning and she had to get home so she could shower and change before she went to the gallery. She was meeting with several people this morning to make the final preparations for the opening in two days. She and Clark had spent the rest of Sunday in bed, becoming as intimately acquainted as they could get. Lois had spent the night in his arms, too sated and satisfied to venture from his place... or his arms. Clark hadn't complained a bit. He hadn't left either. She'd asked him several times if he was needed somewhere, and he replied every time that he was already there. They'd talked. He'd shared private things with her that she doubted even his parents knew. In turn, she'd opened up to him. Lois felt as if she'd known this man her entire life and prayed he felt the same way about her because she'd fallen so completely, without the possibility of ever seeing daylight again.

"I can't make any promises," he told her with a stricken expression. "I'll do my best."

She nodded. And while she completely understood, it still made her a little maudlin.

"You can count on me being at the gallery opening though," he assured her as he slipped a hand through her hair.

"I'll be looking forward to it." She smiled brightly, lifting her head to him in invitation. He didn't disappoint her, planting his lips solidly against hers. She moaned when he broke contact, offered him one last smile, then stepped out of the door before she lost her nerve. She'd been apprehensive about simply being in the room with this man a few days ago. Now she was apprehensive about leaving him. She missed him already.