I'm posting with sincere apologies hyper And during all of this I've been dealing with excrusiating shoulder pain from reflair of an old injury. Saw the doctor today and with steriods in place, I'm hoping for a positive result. So far, though, not so positive. Blood sugar has sky rocketed! shock As soon as I post this, I'm calling the 'ask-a-nurse' line to see if I need to go to ER.

And now that I've bored everyone to tears, enjoy!

++++

Lois pulled the jeep to a stop on the gravel drive outside the house she'd spent many summers in. The outside walls were glass and you could only reach the structure by crossing a long dock. Lois hadn't been kidding. It was literally 'on' the water.

"Wow! This is great!" Clark commented as he took in his surroundings. The house was completely surrounded by a huge dock. Lights surrounding the structure were beginning to flicker to life, casting a warm glow over the entire place. The lake beyond stretched for miles. Nearby he could see the glow of lights on another dock.

"That's Deb's place over there," Lois pointed to where he'd just looked. "We'll take our bags in and head on over."

Clark grabbed his bag and reached out for Lois'. She smiled and relinquished control to him as they continued down the dock. Lois unlocked the door and Clark stepped into a gorgeous retreat. They entered the living room, which stretched all the way across the house. The kitchen was off to the right. The bedrooms flanked the sides of the living area, each with its' own bathroom. There was an exit to the dock from the living room and each bedroom. On the back, overlooking the water, was a built-in grill. There was a table and chairs, a swing, and an exit out onto another dock where a boat was anchored awaiting someone to take her out.

"What do you think?" Lois asked him when they closed the door.

"Nice."

"You can take the bedroom off the kitchen." She reached out to take her bag from him.

"Sounds great." Both bedrooms were exactly the same. He'd already seen that with the help of his super eyes. He set off in the direction of his assigned room, bag in hand. It only took him a couple of minutes to put away his clothes. He was lured out onto the deck by the setting sun. Lois found him on the lower dock looking out over the water.

"Hey."

He glanced back, reminding himself to breathe as he did. Lois had changed into a pair of shorts and a snug tee shirt- one that left little to the imagination. She also sported a pair of sandals, which gave Clark his first look at her beautiful feet. "Hey, yourself."

Lois walked up to his side, leaning on the railing beside him. "Great view, huh?"

"Fantastic view." It took her a second before she realized he hadn't meant the view of the lake. He was looking at her. He hesitated only a second before he closed the distance between them and kissed her softly. "Sorry," he apologized as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm not," she told him, then pressed her lips to his again. The smirk on his face was undeniable when she pulled away. "Come on." He let her take his hand and lead him over to the boat. "It's quicker on the water," she explained as she climbed on board.

Clark released the ropes anchoring the boat to the dock and stepped down onto the deck as Lois started the engine. She slowly maneuvered them toward the brightly lit dock he'd noticed when they'd arrived. It must have been great to spend summers in such a wonderful place.

And to have friends like the ones that Lois had found here...

"That's Scott's place," Lois told him as she pointed out a place across the narrow stretch that made up the cove they were in. There was a small house tucked under the trees, as brightly lit as the other two houses.

Soon enough they were easing up next to a dock down from the house Lois said belonged to Deb and Dave. "Last name?" he asked quickly.

"What?"

"Their last name?" he asked again as he hopped out onto the dock and tied up the lines of their boat.

"Tyler." She reached out for him to help her up. "Scott's last name is Harding. What does that matter?"

"I don't know. I just like to know a person's name." She gave him a bright smile before she hurried across the deck toward a squealing woman.

"Loooiiisss!!!" Deb grabbed Lois and the two women jumped up and down for a second before drawing back to look at one another. "Gorgeous- as usual!" Her eyes darted past Lois to give Clark a quick once over. "You sly dog, you!"

Lois reached out to Clark, who had slowly made his way up to them. "Deb, this is Clark."

Deb's eyes seemed to finally register who their guest was. Her brows climbed toward her hair as she glanced from Lois to Clark. Then this woman did something Clark had never expected. She stepped forward and hugged him. "Welcome!"

Clark was too stunned to speak at first, gazing at Deb like she'd lost her mind when she pulled away. "Thank you," he managed after a second.

The vibrant red-head seemed to look into his very soul as they stood in the fading sun. "A friend of Lois is a friend of ours."

Releasing the breath he wasn't aware he'd been holding, Clark smiled.

"So, Lois," Deb said as she grabbed her friend's arm and began the journey toward her house. "I hear Kevin James is the hottest ticket in town." She stopped, turned to see Clark a step behind them, then reached to grab his arm with her free hand before she started them walking again.

"Kevin is getting his big break next week," Lois told her as she glanced at Clark.

Clark just went along with them, thrilled for Deb to feel so comfortable around him. He listened as they talked about Lois' newest sensation, Dave's newest script, and Mike's upcoming classes. They'd made it all the way up to the beautiful patio off the back of the house before Deb released his arm and took his hand.

"Dave?" She waited for her husband to turn from the grill. His sharp intake of breath told Clark he immediately recognized him. "This is Clark, Lois' friend."

Dave's expression instantly changed from one of surprise to one of delight. "Nice to meet you, Clark!"

"Nice to meet you, Dave," Clark told him as he took his hand.

"How 'bout a beer?"

Clark grinned widely at Dave. "That would be great!"

Dave exchanged a look with his wife, then motioned for Clark to join him at the grill. Deb drifted back over to Lois and before long, two separate conversations were going on.

Lois watched him from across the patio. He'd been shocked at her friends' reaction to his presence. And they'd reacted exactly like she'd hoped they would. They'd readily accepted him into their circle as if he was just an ordinary guy. Mike would probably gush over him. Scott would definitely make a big deal out of him being here. But they'd get over it and treat him just like anybody else.

Before she could ponder long, Scott came barreling up the hill. "Don't tell me you're getting this party started without me!"

"We wouldn't dream of it," Deb told him.

"You won't believe the day I've had," Scott continued as he reached into the cooler and pulled out a beer. He barely glanced at the others as he talked. "Some idiot came in insisting I rewrite his entire portfolio." He threw back his beer for a slug and Lois knew the instant he recognized Clark. Scott spit his beer out in a rush. "Holy hell! Clark Kent!" Clark's brows rose nearly out of sight. The man's eyes frantically searched the others, as if they held all the answers. "Why didn't somebody tell me Clark Kent was going to be here? I would have gotten a hair cut."

Everyone was silent for a second before they erupted in laughter. Lois watched the amazement on Clark's face. He was surprised Scott had called him by his name, instead of Superman.

"Well I would," Scott mumbled as he smoothed his hand over his short, stylish cut. He shrugged then stepped over to offer Clark his hand. "Scott Harding, and I'm a huge fan. I've read every book... twice."

"Thank you," Clark replied as he shook the younger man's hand.

Scott studied him for a moment. "Thought I'd call you by your other name?" he asked Clark knowingly.

"Well..." Clark's eyes roamed over the others before focusing on Scott again. "Most people..."

"I'm *not* most people," Scott insisted.

Lois made her way over to Clark, placing her hand on his back. "Told you that you'd be surprised," she whispered. He grinned down at her, a mixture of relief and awe written all over his face.

"Lois, girlfriend, please don't tell me this gorgeous creature is with you." Scott said as he watched the exchange between her and Clark.

"Okay, Scott," she said as she grinned at him. "I won't!"

"Ah, damn!"

Everyone laughed out loud again and even Clark didn't seem offended. They all looked up when they heard talking out on the deck. Trish and Mike were making their way up to the others, laughing about some story one or the other had told. They all waited with bated breath as Trish noticed Lois.

"Lois!" She ran over and smothered the other woman in a hug. "Girl, you look great!"

"You, too!" Lois answered.

Mike, however, had noticed their other guest. He was just standing there, staring at Clark.

"Hi," Clark offered when the little guy's scrutiny became too much.

"Thank you," the boy told him.

"What?"

"You saved a classmate of mine from dying in a fire in Suicide Slum last spring. Not many people like Tasha 'cause she's poor. I like her 'cause she's smart and funny. And thanks to you, the world will get to know her one day when she's a doctor."

Clark blinked, clearly shaken by the boy's words. He stepped forward and kneeled to be eye level with Mike. "She was the girl who had burns on her legs?"

"Yes, sir. But she recovered. Mom took me to visit her a lot this summer. She'll be back at school 'cause I helped her with her work."

"I'm glad she's doing well."

"I know I don't know you and I shouldn't ask, but do you think maybe you could go see her some time?"

"Mike!" his mother admonished. She moved over to grasp his shoulders. "Sorry about that," she apologized to Clark.

"Don't be," he replied. "Mike, I'd be happy to visit Tasha. I'll make a point to see her as soon as I get back to the city."

The small boy's mouth spread into the widest smile he could muster. "Thanks, Superman." He stepped over to offer up his hand in greeting. "And I do know your real name is Clark. I've read your books."

"Really?" Clark wanted to know as he shook the boy's hand.

"Yeah. I love to read." He shrugged.

Clark laughed softly, then rose back to his feet. Lois watched as he started to talk once again with the others. He felt comfortable with her friends and she was glad he did. Trish grabbed her arm, forcing her to look at her.

"Clark Kent?" she whispered. "Clark *Superman* Kent?"

Lois pulled her off to the side where she hoped Clark couldn't hear. What was she saying? He could hear them talk all the way across the lake. "He's just plain ole Clark Kent, Trish. He's a great guy, so don't give him a hard time, okay?"

"He's with you?"

Taking a look back at the man across the patio, Lois smiled smugly. "Yeah. He came with me."

Trish leaned over on Lois, sighing dreamily. "You lucky dog!" She and Lois looked at one another, then burst out laughing.

The next three hours sailed by. Clark fit into the group as if he'd been part of it as long as any of them had. They had almost as much tact as Clark's mother, refraining from asking him personal questions. They talked mostly about their group, which meant Lois was embarrassed to no end because they knew far too much about her. She watched as Clark's eyes crinkled in laughter- full, deep laughter that made him irresistible. This was definitely a side of him she'd never seen on television.

He'd apparently developed a friendship with Mike. Many times during the night she noticed the two of them sharing a private conversation. The boy had surprised her by not going crazy over the superhero. And everyone had surprised Clark. They'd welcomed him into their inner circle without batting an eye. Even Scott, who'd flirted shamelessly, treated Clark like a friend. By the time the party broke for the night, her guest was almost as relaxed as he'd been with his own parents.

Clark couldn't remember having a better time in the company of others his own age. Each and every one had seen him as a man and not some thing. He'd felt wonderful. They'd shared a delicious meal, great conversation, and probably too many beers. At least for Scott anyway.

"So, I hope Scott wasn't too much," Lois commented as they made their way down the dock toward their boat.

"He was... different." Clark held out his hand to help Lois down into the boat. He wasn't sure how much she'd had to drink.

"Tomorrow he'll have accepted that you're straight. That won't stop him from making passes. He does that to Dave."

"I noticed." Clark released their lines and joined Lois in the boat. He liked Scott, passes and all. "Should I drive?"

Lois smirked at him. "I only had two beers, thank you."

"Hey, I didn't mean anything by it. I just thought..." He stopped when she reached for his hand.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're wound too tight?"

"I am not wound too tight," he defended himself. And to prove his point, he leaned back in the seat and stretched out his legs. Lois chuckled as she set them on a course across the lake. Clark dropped his head back and looked up at the stars. He'd seen them up close and personal, but the sight of so many never ceased to impress him.

And Lois had been right; he'd been very surprised by everyone's reaction to him. They were all great. None of them asked personal questions he really didn't want to answer. Even Mike seemed to respect his privacy.

"I'm sure you've seen them a little closer, but it is something, isn't it?"

Clark turned to see Lois point toward the sky. "How would you like to see them up close? he asked her.

"What?"

"Let me take you closer." He jumped out and tied off the boat as soon as they reached the dock. He took her hand and when she was standing in front of him, he gripped her sides. He could see the excitement in her dark eyes as he lifted them into the air slowly. "I don't think we have to worry about being seen tonight," he said softly. Lois had immediately rested her hands on his chest when he'd grabbed her, but as she glanced down at the lake, she slid her arms up around his neck. Clark felt as if he'd died and gone to heaven. By wrapping her arms around his neck, she'd brought their bodies closer together. The heat coming from her was causing him to feel lightheaded.

"How high is too high?"

He realized that they'd almost flown farther than they should. He'd been too intent on the woman in his arms to keep track of their progress. "Sorry," he mumbled as he began to float.

"This is... WOW!" Lois remarked with absolute wonder written all over her face, her eyes frantically sweeping the wide expanse around them.

Wow was right, Clark thought but his eyes hadn't moved from the woman in his arms. To be able to share this with her was incredible.

"Which one do you think is the one you're from?" Clark's brows furrowed at her question. "Star," she explained. "Which star do you think is yours?"

He glanced over his shoulder. "None of them. Mine blew up."

Lois looked horrified. "What?"

"Krypton, where I'm from, blew up." He shifted his hands, looping them behind Lois' back, bringing them even closer together. If she didn't approve, she'd tell him. When her arms seemed to tighten more around his neck, he sighed inwardly. "There was an informational orb on my ship. A couple of years ago, it began to glow. There was this hologram of my birth father. He explained that I was sent away because the internal core of the planet was overheating."

"Couldn't he save himself?"

"Apparently there wasn't time. He searched the galaxies until he found a planet that was biologically compatible with Krypton."

"Earth," Lois said in awe. "So, your father was a scientist?"

"I assume so."

"And your mother?"

"She was with him, worked at his side."

"Oh, Clark, I had no idea."

"Yeah, well, I thought that was something the world didn't need to know." And the world didn't. The public statement he'd made didn't give any details of his true identity, only that he was from Krypton. That was until he was outted. The world knew then that he'd been raised on Earth. His revised statement was simply that he didn't know how or why he'd ended up on Earth, but that he was here and he intended to help.

"And you trusted me to know?" she whispered as she gazed into his eyes. Before he could answer, she pressed her lips to his.

Clark's entire existence shifted. Lois kissed him once, twice, three times. She licked his lips, causing him to loose altitude.

"Sorry," he apologized when he balanced them out again.

She giggled. "Guess you don't get a lot of practice flying and kissing at the same time."

"Ah, no." And he chuckled softly as he pulled Lois into a hug. "Damn, girl, you've taken me completely by surprise."

She sighed and rested her cheek against his chest. "Good surprise?"

Clark smoothed the hair on the side of her head, his cheek pressed against her crown. "Definitely a good one." He smiled when she sighed again. He was content to hold her all night and apparently she agreed.

She was in *so* much trouble. The flutterings she'd been feeling when she was around Clark had morphed into something much more substantial. Lois squeezed the hand she held as they made their way toward the house. They'd floated for a while, held each other close, and shared another soft kiss before Clark brought them back down to Earth. Although, she wasn't sure if she'd touched the ground yet.

"I'm glad I came," Clark spoke up when they reached the house.

"Me, too." Lois smiled at him, then opened the door.

"I'm gonna say good-night," he told her as he pulled on her hand, bringing her up against his chest. He kissed the tip of her nose, eliciting a giggle.

"That's probably a good idea," Lois managed around her laughter because Clark was tickling her.

"Yeah," he agreed as he lifted her hands to kiss them. "Night." He shoved her gently toward her room.

She laughed again, watching while he backed across the kitchen. When he closed himself off from her view, she sighed again. Tonight had been simply magnificent. The wonder of seeing the stars so close paled in comparison to being held in that man's arms. She'd felt so good wrapped in that cocoon of strength, pressed against his heart. He'd smelt so good. And he'd tasted even better. She'd wanted a deeper, more intense taste, but she'd taken him by surprise. His reaction was adorable.

*He* was adorable!

She managed to get inside her room and find her night clothes without swooning. God was she in trouble!

The silly smile stayed plastered across her face while she changed, brushed her teeth, then fell into bed. Staring up at the ceiling, she sighed *again*. Trouble didn't begin to describe her. Three days, three short days and she was falling so helplessly. Her last relationship might have been a disaster, but there was just nothing in the world to compare with that flutter in her stomach every time she looked at Clark. Obviously he felt something, too. He'd said as much. If he wasn't comfortable, he'd tell her.

At least she hoped he'd tell her. Truth was she didn't really know him at all. She was slowly getting to know who he was, and hopefully before the weekend was over, she'd know him a lot better than she did now. But there was something about him- a part of him that a part of her recognized. It was crazy to think that way. There just wasn't any denying it. She knew this man, at least what she needed to know. He was kind, gentle, desperate for acceptance by a single person that wouldn't treat him differently because he was from another planet. Earth, Mars, Krypton- it didn't matter to Lois. He was a man who needed a friend. And given the way she felt every time she was near him, they might be more than friends.

Trouble with a capital 'T'!

It had taken Clark nearly an hour to go to sleep, thoughts of Lois stifling in the confines of his room. To top it off she was just across the house from him. He'd heard her sigh, all six times. The sound of clothes hitting the floor, the ruffle of the sheets when she climbed into bed, the slow intake every time she took a breath, the beat of her heart- they worked to drive him mad. It had been all he could do to keep from going to her. Willpower alone wouldn't have kept him in his room. It was the thought that if he did that, if he crossed that line, he'd ruin every single second they'd spent together. This thing between them couldn't be denied. It was new, refreshing- it was real. There was no way he'd mess it up.

When he'd finally fallen asleep, he'd slept like a baby. It was the soundest he'd slept in three years, probably longer. Only the smell of coffee had brought him back to the land of the living. After a trip the bathroom, he ventured into the kitchen.

"Hey, sleepy head," Lois told him when he reached the counter.

"Hey." He took the cup she pushed toward him, then poured himself some morning brew. It was only after he'd taken a sip did he notice that Lois was smiling at him. "What? Are my clothes dirty?" He looked down at himself just to be sure.

"Your clothes are fine, but that hair..." She whistled softly. "No wonder you slick it back with gel when you fly out to save the day."

Clark patted the top of his head where he knew his hair was standing straight up. He'd been so intent on getting out here to see Lois, he'd forgotten to comb it. And he knew it would look like this. It was always standing on end first thing in the morning. "Sorry," he told her softly.

"I think it's adorable."

"Adorable?" he asked with mock aggravation. "Superman is *not* adorable."

"No, but Clark Kent is."

Clark lowered the cup in his hand back to the counter, then leaned across so that he was just inches from her. "So are you," he whispered.

She gulped audibly. "Did you sleep well?"

"Like a baby." He trailed his fingers down the side of her face. "And you?"

"Very soundly," she replied as she rubbed the bottom of his chin lightly.

He opened his mouth to say something else, then thought better of it. He leaned over and captured her lips in a kiss instead.

"Nice," she remarked when he drew back to look at her.

"Very nice," he agreed before he kissed her again. "Would you like some breakfast?" he asked, still inches from her face.

"We need to go to the market. There's not much here."

"No problem." Her hair swirled around her face as he disappeared. He heard her say 'wow' as he zipped out of the door. Even though Lois seemed to like the man more than the powers, he secretly wanted to show off for her... just a little. He flew to a little bakery he knew of not too far north, grabbed a variety of items, then headed back. When he stopped across from Lois again, he had put croissants and chocolate donuts out on a platter, sliced a few kiwi, and squeezed some orange juice.

Lois calmly folded the paper she'd been reading and laid it aside. "You want me to say that impresses me." He grinned widely. "It does... a little," she told him as she chose a pastry. "I won't ask where you got these." She pulled her eyes from him to take a bite. "This is good," she mumbled around a mouth full of bread. She chewed for a moment before she finally looked at him again. "Maybe more than a little."

Clark bit into his own food while he continued to watch her. Part of him was glad she was impressed and part of him wished she could just forget that he was Superman. Was he losing his mind? One minute he wanted to show off, the next he was thrilled she liked it, then back to disappointment because she was. How could he possibly explain that?

"We need to come to an understanding."

Her words tore him from the thoughts that were quickly headed toward dangerous territory. The last thing he needed this weekend was to take a pity trip.

She waited until she had his complete attention before she continued. "You're Superman." Well, dah! "You'll always be super. You don't know why and you might not always understand it, but it's something neither of us can change. You're also Clark Kent- this incredibly great guy that I happen to think is just as impressive as 'Supes'. I'm also impressed with his super side. Hell, you can fly! Who wouldn't be impressed with that?" She wiped her mouth before she continued. "I need you to accept that I might... swoon a bit over your super stunts."

"Swoon?" he asked, unable to stop the smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

She glared at him, then kept going. "I might just as easily swoon when you look at me. And when the new wears off, I'll probably yell at you for being such a lunkhead!"

By the time she finished, there was fire in her voice. This was that passion that simmered just below the surface. It was impressive to behold. Clark slowly ate the rest of his croissant before his eyes met hers again. "Fair enough."

"Good!"

She was proud of herself, Clark thought as he watched her. If she wanted him to relax, then he'd do everything he could to make that happen. "Lunkhead?" he asked after a moment. Lois shrugged, then they both laughed out loud. This woman was a refreshing change from other people he met every day. He'd relax, he'd show-off, and he'd love every second getting to know this great woman.

"I really hate to do this," Lois said as she picked up her bag from the table by the door.

"Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, if we want to enjoy the rest of the weekend, I think it's for the best," Clark replied as he finished oiling the reel in his hand.

Lois was on her way to the market in the small town a few miles away. She and Clark would cook for the group tonight and they needed something to eat. She was actually the one who'd suggested she go shopping alone even though she really didn't want to. She felt like she was doing something wrong by not including Clark. He was right, of course. As small as the town was, someone was bound to recognize him. And everyone in town knew her. If they were seen together, it would only be a matter of minutes before they'd be found at the house. The rest of their weekend would definitely be ruined. It didn't make her feel any better about leaving him though. He'd insisted he'd be fine. He'd found her father's rods and reels in the storage room and was all set to fish until she returned. In fact, he actually looked excited.

"But..."

"Bye, Lois," he said with a wave as he went through the back door. She sighed and set out to do the shopping.

The drive to town only took ten minutes. She was surprised to see Deb cross the parking lot.

"Deb!"

Her friend stopped and waited until she caught up. "Hey, Lo! How's it going?"

"Good."

"I'd say that's probably an understatement," Deb replied with a wink.

Lois smiled and held the door open for them to enter. They both chose a cart and headed for the produce section.

"Come on, Lois. You can't keep me hanging about Mr. Gorgeous."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Lois said as she chose some tomatoes.

"I can't believe you said that." Deb picked over the cantaloupes. "You bring the hottest guy ever to the lake with you and you play innocent."

"We're just friends, Deb." Lois moved on to the onions.

"Yeah, right!" Deb chose a large bunch of herbs, then pushed her cart in front of Lois'. "Now, talk."

Lois put her produce in the cart, then looked up at her friend. "He came into the gallery last week. He bought some things, I delivered them, and he took me to dinner for his mother's birthday."

"You've met his parents already?"

"Already? Deb!"

"Okay, okay. Just tell me how you ended up bringing the heat to the lake."

Lois chuckled at the narrative before she went on. "We had a great time. His parents are wonderful people. He took me flying."

"Wow!" Deb said dreamily.

"We talked, had a nice walk, and he asked me out again. I told him I had this thing and well, before I could stop myself, I asked him to come." Lois finished with a shrug and headed for the potatoes.

"And he slept..."

"Deb!" Lois tried to act shocked at her friend's suggestion, but these two ladies knew each other all too well. Deb knew Lois would only have a man under the same roof with her if she knew for certain he could be trusted. Deb had offered Lois a shoulder to cry on when she'd made the biggest mistake of her life. She'd also been there for every good and bad decision since. "I slept alone," Lois relented as she lifted the bag of potatoes into the cart.

"I really like him," Deb said as they made their way further into the store. "I've always thought he had a lot going on behind those beautiful chocolate eyes. Every picture and video showed this lonely, gentle soul." Lois smiled. Deb had always been a good judge of character. So many times she wished she'd listened when Deb told her to stay away from Paul. "Meeting him proved it. But, God, he's a great guy."

"He really is," Lois agreed as they stopped to make a few choices in the deli. "He's kind, gentle- he's got this quiet strength. And he's a fantastic son. He gave his mother a statue that cost nearly four grand."

"I saw in the news that he gave her a Lincoln once."

"And trips all over the world, a beach house, and this year he's sending his folks on a trek around the country in a luxury coach."

Deb reached out to choose a cut of meat. "How does one raise a super powered teen?"

"I know!" Lois hoped that Clark would soon become comfortable enough with her to share a few stories from his childhood. She could just imagine Martha pulling on his ear and threatening to tan him like cheap leather. "He was so worried about how you guys would take him," Lois said after a few minutes.

Deb stopped and looked at Lois with a stricken expression. "Poor fellow. I guess he's used to the fawning from all the groupies. Probably why he looks so lonely."

"Yeah."

"Oh, God. He must really be messed up now. We sprang Scott on him!" She looked at Lois, who promptly burst out laughing.

"I think he was most impressed by Mike," Lois put in after they'd made a few more selections. "He seems to really like kids."

"They're some of the few people that will be truly honest with you. They don't suck up to you just because you're popular or famous, at least not until they become teenagers."

"I told him he'd be surprised by you guys."

"We aim to please."

Lois pulled Deb to a stop. "Really, Deb. Thanks."

"Lois, Clark came as a friend of yours. That was enough for us to give him a chance. We learned he's really a great guy. We like him and we are very glad he came." They shared a smile before Lois nodded and headed toward the check-out. "You do know Scott won't be the only one ogling him today?"

Lois laughed softly as she unloaded her purchases. She was glad she'd brought Clark along. She believed the super guy needed the morale boost from spending time with people who saw him as a person and not a thing. And it didn't hurt her feelings a bit that she was able to spend a little time alone with him either.

Clark couldn't remember the last time he went fishing. He and his father used to take a trip every spring. They stopped about three years ago, right after all the media hype took over his life. Of course, that was when he stopped doing a lot of things. He'd almost given up on living except for going through the motions. But a simple trip into an art gallery was beginning to show him that he might have been wrong.

The tug on his line surprised him a bit. Another tug, then a solid slam. Clark snatched back, careful to reign in his strength appropriately. The hook was set solidly and he began to reel. He'd kicked off his shoes a while ago, walking along the edge of the water as he cast. He was knee deep now and having the time of his life. After a few minutes, he finally hauled in his catch.

"Nice!"

He turned to see Lois on the bank. She almost made him forget about the fish he held. He lifted a monster bass to show it off. "Want to have fresh fish for supper?"

"Are you cleaning them?"

"Sure." He began making his way back to shore, unhooking his catch as he did. He pointed toward the bucket sitting closer to the dock. "I have four more. I thought they'd be great on the grill."

"Don't tell me you cook."

"I love to cook," Clark commented as he set off toward the bucket.

"You looked like you were having a good time catching that."

"I was." He cast again, slightly under the dock. "I may be able to do almost anything, but just doing nothing..."

"This isn't nothing," Lois said as she cast out a line, too.

Clark hadn't seen the rod in her hand. Watching her was threatening to send him into sensory overload. She was so incredibly beautiful. The shorts she wore barely left anything to the imagination. Her thin shirt was open in front, revealing a red bikini top covering two of the most...

"So, what time are we setting out with the others?" How was he possibly going to survive today?

"In about twenty minutes." She snatched back on her rod. "Got him!"

Clark smiled as he watched her reel in another good sized bass. What wasn't there to like about this girl?

"Okay, Farm boy, get him off!" She waved the bass around at him, hanging from the end of her line.

"What?" he said with a laugh.

"Take the fish off. I don't... touch them."

He chuckled again as he took the fish off the hook. "Some fisherman you are!"

"Yeah, yeah," Lois clipped out as she threw her line out again.

Clark threw his line out a few times before he asked, "Farm boy?"

"Would you rather I yell, 'Help, Superman'?"

If you yell it like that... Damn, that was sexy when she said it!

"Clark?"

He managed to get his wayward thoughts under control and focus on what she was saying. "Yeah?"

"Where were y...?" Her eyes narrowed on him when she realized what she'd said and how he must have taken it. "You are such a typical male!"

"Trust me. I am *not* your typical male."

"Tell me you were not just thinking what I think you were thinking," she challenged him.

"If I told you, I wouldn't be thinking it. I'd be saying it."

Her eyes narrowed even more. "You are so infuriating." But she said it with laughter in her voice.

"You are so... adorable," he finished in a whisper as the smile faded from his face.

She just looked at him for a minute before she turned and cast her line again. "Okay, then," she said with finality.

"Okay," he agreed as he let his line plop softly in the water beside hers. They fished in silence for several minutes, Clark glancing at her every now and then. This woman was the breath of air he hadn't known he was lacking until now. Each second with her only made him long for another gasp. He also found himself wanting to get to know her even more.