Print Thread
#69891 02/21/10 10:02 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

This vignette may be short, but it was a definite foray out of my comfort zone...I am used to writing scholarly material in a "Just the facts, ma'am" style. Things like character and plot development and conveying characters' emotions and thoughts are almost completely new to me. I welcome feedback on any aspect of the story, but especially on those areas I just mentioned.

Thanks,
Lynn S. M.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome to the boards, Lynn!

This was a funny, little vignette smile

Well, you seemed to be the last holdout on having Superman apparel;
Unless you count the authentic Superman-suit. The authentic Superman-globe. Superman's toothbrush. Superman's comb. Etc... laugh

AFAIK, we don't know when Clark's actual birthday is (although I am guessing that he would choose his adoption day of May 17th as his alleged birthday)
Actually, it's Feb. 29th, according to Never on a Sunday smile Clark was approximately 3 months old, when the Kents found him. So, if you want to use this date, it sets the story right after The Rival in Season 1, according to the original air dates. Which is actually quite interesting. Wonder if that could spark a plot bunny...

I think you paced it well. It worked thumbsup

Michael wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, what a cute idea! Poor boy, I can imagine the look on his face... goofy and of course it wouldn't take much of a clue for Lois to put everything together, would it? At least he didn't try to deny anything; that seems like a good start...

You should venture outside of your comfort zone more often. 'Cause, you know, when you start moving outside of your comfort zone, your comfort zone starts to expand, and that's so much more comfortable, isn't it? wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
wave Welcome!

Interesting revelation story. Very cute.

I think Clark's birthday would actually be February 28th, because I don't think there was a February 29th in 1966....

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your encouraging feedback. :-)

>> Well, you seemed to be the last holdout on having Superman apparel;

> Unless you count the authentic Superman-suit. The authentic Superman-globe. Superman's toothbrush. Superman's comb. Etc... [Big Grin]

Or, as Clark has been known to say at least once (and probably thought many a time in the first couple of seasons), "If only you knew, Lois..."

>Actually, it's Feb. 29th, according to Never on a Sunday

Oops...So much for relying on Wikipedia...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_%26_Clark:_The_New_Adventures_of_Superman) Guess this means I'll just have to go back and re-watch the episode to do some more primary research. Darn, darn! ;-) Thanks for the correction. I obviously still have much to learn.

> Wonder if that could spark a plot bunny...

If any specific follow-on story ideas come to you, you have not only my permission to write it up, but also my encouragement to do so. :-) (The same is true for anyone else who is interested in writing a sequel.)

Thanks again for the feedback. :-)

- Lynn S. M.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi PJ,

>lol, what a cute idea! Poor boy, I can imagine the look on his face...

That's actually what inspired the story for me in the first place -- The thought of him opening the box and seeing *that* inside made me chuckle more than once, and I had hoped to be able to give others a smile, too.

>You should venture outside of your comfort zone more often.

I've done so every day for the past eight years of my life. (See comment immediately below.)

>I'm raising a child with autism -- what's your superpower?

Looks as though we share a superpower, then. I've never seen it phrased that way; I like it. :-) And yes, my son is eight years old. I love him dearly, but I never know quite what curve ball he'll throw my way next...It sure would be handy to have Superman's speed, not to mention his super-hearing and X-Ray vision. And as my son gets bigger, I imagine I'll be adding Superman's strength to my wish list.

In my pre-motherhood days, I had been pretty active in Forever Knight fandom; but I have been too busy until recently even to think of doing anything in any fandom. Writing this story was therefore a huge step for me. It is a reclamation of a part of my life that had been put on hold for a very long time.

- Lynn S. M.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL - very cute. I never fail to be impressed at how many ways FoLCs can find to let Lois in on the secret. clap clap

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1
I just remembered something after reading this great birthday gift story!

Don't know if this is an accurate memory, but maybe supports the February date, but a wisp of memory.... something about them using Dean's birthdate for Clark.

I apologize if this is totally off and I don't have Dean's birthdate or thought where to look it up, and you have to know this memory comes from way back when the show was still originally airing... So... it's been a very long time since I've been that involved in any of it. thumbsup

Evelyn

EvelynC
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
According to imdb, Dean's birthday is July 31, 1966.

But for your story, it doesn't really matter when Clark's birthday happens, does it? It's a cute story.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Well, I've done a little more research. In Never on Sunday, the following dialog was exchanged:

Sunday: You're a Pisces, right?
Clark: Good guess. Yeah. February 28th.
Sunday: Nineteen sixty five?
Clark: Close. Sixty six.

BUT, in Tempus Fugitive, Clark sets his time machine for May 17, 1966.

These two facts are easily reconcilable: May 17, 1966 must have been his adoption day; but, since he appeared to be about 3 months old then, February 28th could have been within the range of possible birthdays. I could see Martha's sense of humour kicking in; had it been a leap year, she probably would have chosen Leap Day; as it was, I could easily see her picking the date closest to the hypothetical Leap Day as the day she chose for Clark's alleged birthday.

My thanks to all who have commented so far. :-)

cheers,
Lynn

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Very cute smile .

I was thinking it was Feb. 28 b/c 1966 is not a leap year... May 17 is the date they found him/his ship and he was a few months old.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Lynn wave

Nice short. Sometimes the truth can be found in the simplest and most unexpected ways.

His nervousness alone would have had Lois looking for the reason.

Bob

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Just read this short story of yours.

I liked it and though it was cute smile .

Thanks for sharing!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's what you get from copying right out of the script an not thinking just because it's late blush
BTW, it really does read Feb. 29th, 1966 in the script. They fixed it on the show, though laugh

Michael wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Haha very cute!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard