Author's Note: This story takes place during the early part of Season 2. The appearance of Mayson Drake brought a new dynamic to the relationship of Lois and Clark, so I decided to go exploring. This tale deviates somewhat from the storyline in the show, but I thought it might be more fun that way. smile Feedback is very motivating for me, so please feel free to leave comments.

The Green-Eyed Mad Dog

Lois rushed to the apartment of her partner and best friend, thrilled that she had learned the truth about that slimy DA Mayson Drake before it was too late. That blonde bimbo had been all over Clark since the two had met, and Lois wanted to make sure that Mayson didn’t succeed in getting her hooks into him.

Clark was intelligent and kind, but his country boy naiveté seemed to make him vulnerable to women with unscrupulous motives such as Toni Taylor and Mayson “my home phone number is on the back” Drake. Once she showed Clark the new evidence, however, he would surely see that Mayson was not the right person for him. Clark needed someone…well, he needed someone better than that Drake woman, and Lois was determined to make him see reason.

She reached his apartment and bounded up the steps, only to be faced with the shock of her life. Clark was…oh, god, he was kissing that corrupt, no-good tramp. She had to stop him!

Before she even realized what she was doing, she reached for the doorknob and barged into the room. “Clark?” she called out somewhat belatedly, hoping to give the impression that she had no idea that he was in the living room, much less that he had company.

Clark pulled away from Mayson in record time, croaking out, “Lois, what are you doing here?”

“Oh,” Lois responded, trying her best to sound innocent. “I didn’t realize you had a visitor.”

“Mayson was just here to…to go over my testimony,” Clark managed, sounding terribly guilty.

“Well, I’m sorry to interrupt, but I really do need to speak with Clark in private. Would you mind, Mayson?” Lois asked sweetly. It took every ounce of her restraint to keep a smile on her face.

“Actually, Lois…,” Mayson began haughtily, only to be cut off by Clark.

“Mayson, I really do need to work on this story with Lois. You don’t mind, do you?” he asked, using his best conciliatory look.

“I guess not,” she replied begrudgingly. “Call me when you need a break from the story,” she added, looking pointedly at Lois. With that, she grabbed her purse and made a slow exit, being sure to show off her assets as she departed.

That display was not lost on Lois, who fumed silently. As soon as the door was closed and Mayson was out of earshot, she rounded on Clark.

“What the hell were you doing?”

“Excuse me?” he asked, both surprised and annoyed by her question and her tone.

“You have no business kissing that woman, Clark. She’s bad news,” she yelled.

“Were you spying on me?” Clark asked incredulously.

“I didn’t have to,” she countered angrily. “I walked up to the door and it was on display for all to see.”

“And so naturally you decided to barge into my apartment,” he said, clearly upset with her.

“I came over to talk to you about Intergang. I didn’t realize I’d be disturbing your little tryst. What is wrong with you, Clark? Do you have to have a fling with every blonde criminal that you meet?” She was shouting, and she knew it, but she had to get through to him. She couldn’t let her partner get hurt by that woman.

Matching her anger, he replied, “First of all, Mayson is not a criminal, and second…what gives you the right to accuse her of anything?”

“What gives me the right? I’ll tell you what gives me the right. I’m trying to protect you, you lunkhead, not that you’d appreciate it. You don’t make good choices when it comes to women.”

“I don’t make good choices?” he began indignantly, but she cut him off before he could mention the mistakes she had made in her love life.

Pacing and gesticulating wildly, she spoke emphatically. “You don’t, Clark. You sleep with Cat, you kiss Toni Taylor, and now you’re locking lips with a DA who is clearly on the take.”

“Lois….”

“You keep making mistakes, Clark, and I can’t let you do that anymore.”

“Let me?” he asked, astonished at her gall.

She turned suddenly and looked him straight in the eye. “The only woman you should be kissing, Clark Kent, is me!”

She gave Clark no time to register her words before she wrapped her arms around his neck and began plundering his lips with her own. His arms moved to cradle her as he staggered backwards, and she felt the strangest sensation of floating before they landed safely on his couch.

She couldn’t get enough of him. His lips tasted of exotic sweetness, and his tongue stroked hers with ever increasing intent. She had read stories of people being swept away by passion, but she had never believed it could really happen until this moment. As he caressed her body with his hands, she felt each nerve ending crackle to life. And the heat…she reveled in the slow slide of warmth and longing that began to settle in the most sensitive parts of her body. She wanted to touch him everywhere, but given their position, she settled for sliding her hands into his soft, thick hair and deepening the contact between them. The whole room seemed to be buzzing as she began trailing kisses along his jaw line.

“Lois,” he murmured, his deep voice resonating in every part of her being.

“Clark,” she answered, taking his earlobe between her lips and sucking gently.

He shivered in response. “Oh god, Lois. Your beeper…is going off.”

“What?” she managed, as his words slowly began to penetrate the haze that had enveloped her.

“Your beeper,” he said again softly, clearly pained by the interruption.

Taking in their surroundings clearly for the first time, she heard the buzzing coming from her purse on the table. She jumped up quickly and rushed to check the device. “I told Uncle Mike to page me if something was wrong. Clark, he’s in trouble,” she added worriedly.

Clark jumped up, grabbed a box, and began heading for the door.

“Where are you going?” she asked, the hurt clearly evident in her voice.

He turned to face her. “I, uh…I’m going to find Superman. You call the police.”

“But…,” she began.

“I’ll find him, and I’ll meet you there,” he reassured her, then added gently, “He’ll be OK, Lois.” Within a moment, he was gone.

Stunned by Clark’s abrupt exit, it took Lois a moment to reach the phone. Dialing the direct line for Inspector Henderson, she was soon satisfied that help was on the way, and she rushed to her jeep. Her mind was in overdrive as it wrestled with two important questions: “Is Uncle Mike okay?” and “What the hell just happened?” Uncle Mike took precedence, of course, but Mad Dog would have her day.

"Women frustrate men because they're too complicated. Men frustrate women because they're not complicated enough."