Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Starting the thread. Hope y'all like this one.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh this is fantastic!! I love the grieving Lois, it will make the Clark/Lois romance even better! Can't wait for more!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
so....excited you're writing something new, and this is definitely new and interesting, but claude?!!! all i can say is - oy.
can't wait for more!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Your writing, even when it's not about musicians, has a music to it.

I think I am going to love this story, as long as Claude stays gone.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful start. Nice spin on Claude.

Based on Claude and some of your prior tales can we assume Lex Luthor will also be a nice guy?

Framework4
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting beginning. There are few (if any) stories that show Claude in a positive light, so this'll be interesting to watch.

I loved the scripted by-play between Lois and Perry after he'd told Clark he didn't have anything for him. It's funny to think that they'd dangle a story in front of potential reporters to see which ones had the initiative and talent to out-write the Planet's star reporter.

I feel bad for Lois, but it was also nice to see how one less "federal disaster" had changed her outlook and social behaviors. Oh, she's still Mad-Dog Lane, but she's soft enough to have made friends with Cat and is not threatened by Perry's protective show.

It jolted me and made me feel quite confused when you switched to Clark's perspective and changed to a first-person narrative. It'll be interesting to see if I can navigate that without feeling dizzy

BJ

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great new premise!

Looking forward to seeing more and especially how the Lois/Clark romance will evolve smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very interesting start, Terry!

I sort of expected Claude to be Lois dead husband, but I was genuinely surprised at the way you pulled this off. Can you say wow? Btw, I halfway expected Claude betraying Lois by going to Africa and getting killed over there without Lois ever knowing the truth. Guess, that's not been it, then.

And Lois is best pals with Cat! And what' up with Clark? And what's the posting schedule going to be?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Promising start. Like the twists on canon history. Looking forward to a quick posting schedule.

Tank (who thinks that Terry could find some way to stick a musician or two into this)

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Ooh, cool feedback! Thanks, y'all!

Bellarata, glad you're looking forward to a Clark/Lois romance. We'll see what happens to our favorite couple.

Sarahg, sorry about Claude. But he was the only one I could come up with from canon who might have been Lois' husband - if he weren't such a louse. So, here he's not such a louse.

Framework4, I don't advise making any assumptions about Lex Luthor until he actually appears. Remember, this is a rewrite of the pilot, and I can't stray too far from canon or I'll lose the narrative thread altogether. Suffice to say that the Lois/Lex relationship develops in a slightly different path this time around.

BJ, thanks for the kind words. I don't recall Claude being a not-so-bad guy in any fic either, at least not at this time in Lois' life. And I'm sorry about jarring you. I have a harder time getting into Clark's head than I do Lois' head, and the first person POV helped me a lot. Besides, this way you'll know quickly whose mind we're in at any time.

DW, thanks for the nice words. I hope this tale is satisfying to you. I think the direction the main relationship goes will be surprising but not horrifying.

Michael, thanks for the "wow." Originally, I'd planned for Claude to be a bad guy after all and betray Lois in Africa, but I couldn't make it work. Anything I did just felt contrived or forced, but when I let Claude be sincere and (sort of) honest the backstory came together.

Posting schedule? Every few days is all I can promise, except that this story will not be abandoned in mid-stream.

Thanks, Tank. Wish I could shoehorn in some musicians, but they weren't in the pilot and anything more than what I've already added would break the narrative flow. Maybe next time?

Next part up very soon! Thanks to all who've read, and extra thanks to those who've posted responses!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Terry, I'm sorry I'm late to your story. frown

And while it’s not WHAM-worthy, it is a doozy of a change. There is also a huge dollop of angst in Clark’s past in this story, and it impacts his behavior and attitudes toward Lois in what I hope is a surprising and believable manner.
Well, I'm always a little nervous about angst. smile I guess it will depend on what the source of the angst is and how Clark handles it.

I’d also like to credit Carol Malo for the inspiration for this story and its title. It grew out of a comment she made in feedback to a story where Clark had a serious relationship with someone other than Lois.
Well, if your angst warning has me nervous , this really spooks me. smile

Nice to see HG Wells' comment as the title of your fic, though.

hmm, Lois as a grieving widow. And it's Claude!

Alice has been gone for four years now
So Alice left him sooner in this universe than we saw. Maybe they'll get back together by the end.

Which has got me thinking - is Claude really dead or just missing, although people believe he's dead? Did they get his body back? (ghoulish question I know - been watching to many news programmes)

Now Claude's behaviour in Lois's memory stuck me as a tad theatrical - maybe he can't really be trusted after all? Maybe this Claude knows Lois will be more beneficial to his career long term? (you can telll I don't trust him smile )

I like how Lois and Cat are friends smile

a quibble: I was a bit thrown by the use of first person for Clark's story.

Clark's pretty confident about his sense of humour isn't he? laugh Now i wonder where you're going with that?

So Clark was more involved with Rachel than he was in the series.

Interesting beginning, Terry. As always, I do admire your wrting ability - the easy flow of narrative and dialogue, both canon and original smile

carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, now I've read the other comments and yours too Terry. smile Should have done that first.

Now about Claude being a good guy - are you absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, drop dead certain? I mean, Terry, look at how you've written him - his behaviour - nope I think this character is telling you he's up to something. Like the shape in the stone, his true (ie evil!) character is waiting to get out laugh

I have a harder time getting into Clark's head than I do Lois' head, and the first person POV helped me a lot. Besides, this way you'll know quickly whose mind we're in at any time.
Using first person is a useful technique for solving that problem - but why not change it to 3rd person once you've got the scene written? I think the reader wouldn't have too much trouble with shifting POV - you're a good enough writer to pull that off. smile

c.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard