After locking the door behind Clark, Lois hung up her dripping raincoat, and turned toward the bedroom. As she did, she saw the painting for the first time. She grimaced and continued on, going immediately to the telephone in her bedroom. Later, after entering the bathroom, she stripped off her sodden clothing and stepped into a steaming shower. Soon she stopped shivering and simply stood relaxing under the water as it ran over her head and shoulders and down her body, warming her through and through.

Finally, she soaped her hair and the rest of her, completing her ablutions as she turned her mind to Clark Kent. She was furious with the thought that he had been snooping around her apartment getting into who knew what. Perry might trust him, but Perry didn’t know how he conducted himself privately, and Perry didn’t have a drawer full of lacy lingerie that some miscreant might want to paw through. Clark Kent really didn’t look like a pervert, but could you always tell by looking? If she went by looks, Kent was a really attractive guy who could be worth getting to know in all kinds of ways, but she wasn’t about to render favorable judgment on so little information.

She stepped out of the shower stall and began toweling herself dry. So what if he was a good looking, she thought. She didn’t have time for that right now. If she kept on thinking like that, she could get distracted from what she had to do. He could become a problem, if he wasn’t already. Why on earth did Perry have to assign him to stick with her like a watchdog? He was definitely going to get in the way.

She went back into the bedroom and looked around carefully, opening drawers and the closet. Nothing appeared to be out of place. Maybe he wasn’t a pervert, after all. She thought of the men she’d known, knew now. How many of them, given the circumstances, could have resisted the temptation to invade her private domain and fondle her most intimate possessions? The answer was depressing. Lucy was right. She had rotten taste in men. Clark Kent gave promise to being a different sort.

After combing out her hair and leaving it to dry in a curly mass, she threw on a pair of sweats and was returning to the living room when Clark let himself into the apartment carrying containers of steaming - she breathed deeply and spontaneously smiled with pleasure - Thai food!

“How did you know I like Thai food?”

“Good evening, Ms Lane. It’s a pleasure to see you all dry and comfortable. And I know you like Thai food because I’ve spent the last two days finding out everything I could about you.”

He *was* going to be a problem. “Sorry. Hi, and thanks for the food. Shall I make the tea?”

“No, you sit and eat while I make a pot. Where do you want...?”

“At the kitchen table. I can watch you make the tea while I eat. You want some too?”

“No, thanks, I’ve already eaten.” It hadn’t occurred to him that she would want to watch. That complicated things. Now where had he seen that kettle?

She began opening cartons and eating from them with the accompanying chopsticks. “Mmmmm. This is great! I didn’t know there was any place in Metropolis that had Thai food this good. Where did you get it?”

He had found the kettle, and the water was heating as he ‘hotted’ the pot and took several teabags from a box. “At a little place I know.” He looked at her sitting on the edge of her chair - no make-up, hair curling wildly, oversized sweats drooping - stuffing her mouth and moaning her approval. He saw not the woman of the portrait, not the person he had learned about for two days, but still another Lois Lane. He thought this one was adorable, but then, he was hopelessly besotted by her. “Maybe I’ll take you there sometime.”

She stopped shoveling noodles into her mouth. “You mean like a date?” she asked indignantly.

“No, as a friend. We can talk about dating later.”

She snorted. “In your dreams. What makes you think we’re even going to be friends?”

“We’ll get to my dreams, someday, but let’s be friends for now. After you’re around me for a while, I’ll grow on you. You’ll get used to me, and you won’t be able to resist finding out where this little Thai place is.”

“Why keep it a secret? Why don’t you just tell me?”

“Someday I’m going to tell you all my secrets, but not yet.”

“Ha! As if I’m interested in any big secrets you might have.”

“We’ll see. Back in Kansas, we know how to play our cards close to the vest until it’s time to lay them down.”

She half choked. “You’re a poker player from Kansas? Is that why Perry hired you? Because he figured you’d be easy pickings in his poker games?”

“No, he hired me because of my experience and because I could write the kind of story he wanted written about you.”

She laughed again. “Sure you can. Where did you get all this experience, the Kansas City Star?”

“No, the Smallville Gazette and the Borneo Times among other papers.” The tea was ready and he poured some in a mug for her.

She shook her head in disbelief. “Smallville and Borneo. I couldn’t make that up. Perry must have been out of his mind with grief over my death, “ she said smugly.

He poured some tea for himself and sat down opposite her, grinning. “Actually he was quite composed and businesslike. Said everybody else was too busy to follow up on the story of your death, so he was willing to give me a chance at it.”

He watched the fun disappear from her face, and she looked down, started to eat another bite, then returned it and pushed the carton away. “Sure,” she said, face stricken. “What was I thinking?”

“Hey, I’m kidding. Everybody was devastated about your death. The place was full of gloom when I walked in. Perry hired me because everyone else was too upset and too close to it. I didn’t know you, so I could be objective, and that’s what he wanted. A story about the real Lois Lane.”

“And did you find her?” she asked quietly.

He answered in kind. “I’m on the trail, but it may take me the rest of my life to get the whole story.”

She looked up at him in surprise. “You’re a nice guy, Clark. At least, so far.”

They smiled at each other, the air heavy with curiosity and anticipation. Then she broke the moment. “Just don’t fall for me, Kansas. I don’t have time for it.”

“We’ll see.”

Ignoring him, she picked up her mug and drank. A surprised look crossed her face as she swallowed and looked down. “What is this? I thought you were making tea?”

“It is tea.”

“This isn’t my tea.”

“It isn’t orange pekoe, if that’s what you mean. There are lots of better varieties, Lois. I discovered some wonderful ones when I was traveling. Lapsang Souchong, Darjeeling and Oolong, Keemon, Jasmine. I found this one in South Africa. There’s no caffeine, and it will actually help you sleep.”

“You decided I need to get some sleep?”

He realized his faux pas. “Uh, no, of course not. That’s up to you. I just thought you were probably tired. Didn’t you say all you wanted to do was have a shower and go to bed?” He paused and asked innocently, “Did you want to do something else besides sleep?”

She looked up at him sharply but saw the twinkle in his eyes. She grinned and shrugged, saying, “Yes, sleep is what I want. What’s this stuff called anyway?”

“Rooibos. Means ‘red bush’. It has all kinds of health and nutritional benefits. South Africans use it for a lot of things. I had a friend whose grandmother used it to color her hair.”

“Well, I wouldn’t use orange pekoe for that.” She looked at him speculatively. “You’ve had some interesting experiences for a guy from Kansas. I’ve always wanted to travel, but I never seemed to have the time.”

“Maybe I can help you change that.”

She looked at him in surprise, again. “You’re a strange guy, Clark Kent. You show me something different every minute. I like that.”

“You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that.”

She had finished eating, and he saw that she looked weary. Placing the containers with the leftovers in the refrigerator, he poured another cup of tea for her and said, “Look, why don’t you take this with you. You can finish it in bed. We have a lot to talk about in the morning, and I have a feeling that Perry will be ringing my pager very early.”

This time she didn’t object to his directions, but nodded and said, “I’ll just lock the door behind you.”

“Lois,” he said gently. “I’m not going anywhere. If you can spare an extra blanket and pillow, I’ll bunk out here.”

She looked skeptically at his big frame and her tiny couches. “I don’t think you’ll fit on those.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll manage.” He smiled. “I’ve slept many times in rush huts with dirt floors.”

She nodded, left and returned with a blanket and pillow. As she started back to her bedroom, she saw the portrait again. “What’s that thing doing here?” she asked, gesturing toward it.

“Your family couldn’t cope with it yet, and it was upsetting the newsroom. Perry had me bring it here for temporary storage.”

“Oh. Well, I’ll put it somewhere out of the way tomorrow. I can’t stand the thing.”

“I kind of like it,” Clark retorted. It helped me get to know you.”

“Sheesh!” she said disgustedly and resumed her way to the bedroom. At the door, she paused and looked back for a moment, at the painting and at him, gauging his character. Then she nodded her head slightly and went into the bedroom, closing but not locking the door.

He was making progress! He delightedly punched the air with his fist and mouthed ‘yes’. Then he stretched out on the floor with his pillow and blanket and wished he had a toothbrush.

As though she had read his thoughts, Lois opened her door and held out the desired object along with an almost empty tube of toothpaste. “I had an extra one. I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand not brushing before I go to sleep.”

He took the brush and paste, said thanks, and completed his bedtime ritual at the kitchen sink.

Later, as he lay under the blanket atop the airfoil he had created for a mattress, he thought back over the conversations they’d had since she’d walked through her apartment door and into his life. He knew he was past any hope of letting his feelings for her go, but that didn’t mean she didn’t have a lot of explaining to do. She hadn’t even blinked when he had said she had been murdered. Now, why was that? The only answer he could come up with was that she hadn’t been out of touch at all. She had seen the newspapers and heard the newscasts. Then why had she let everyone believe she was dead? And why was she lying? He fell asleep gazing at the portrait.

++++++++++

Early the next morning, Clark put on a pot of coffee, and as the aroma permeated the apartment, he heard Lois stirring in the bedroom. He wished that he had brought back eggs and bread with the Thai food last night. He should have gone by the Apollo Hotel, too, for fresh clothes. He would have to pick up everything, later, but he didn’t want to go out until he and Lois had a chance to talk, and she had heard from Perry that they were going to be partners on this story. He had begun to make a list of things he needed to get when he heard a knock at the door.

Immediately alert, he silently slipped to the door and looked through the peephole. It was Scardino! What was he doing here? Clark was deciding whether or not to ignore the knock, when Lois, pushing him aside, checked the visitor’s identity, and opened the door.

Clark was dumbfounded. “Lois! What’s the matter with you? You can’t just open the door to anyone. You’re supposed to be dead, remember? Don’t tempt fate. It can still happen.”

“Don’t worry, Clark. It’s only Scardino. Come in, Dan. Do you two know each other?”

Scardino came in, thrusting a huge bouquet of flowers at Lois. “Welcome back, beautiful,” he said, kissing her on the cheek. “Yeah, we’ve met. Hello, Kent. Looks like you may get to call me ‘Daniel’, yet. What’s for breakfast?”

“Are you crazy?” Lois exclaimed. “I told you I was still supposed to be dead. How many people saw you come in here with these flowers?”

“Don’t worry. I’m a federal agent. I know how to be discreet.”

“Well, let’s go into the kitchen. I think Clark made some coffee. We have a lot to talk about.”

Clark stared slack-jawed at the co-conspirators.

“Coffee is good.” Scardino spotted the folded blanket and pillow that Clark had left on the coffee table. “You’ve made yourself right at home here, haven’t you, Kent?” He followed Lois into the kitchen. “What, no eggs?”

“There aren’t any,” Clark snapped, his temper beginning to rise. “What’s going on? How did you know Lois was here?”

“I told him,” said Lois. “I called him last night, while you were out for food, and told him to come over this morning.”

“Lois, what were you thinking? He could be the one who tried to kill you.”

“Don’t be silly. Why would Daniel want to kill me? We’re working together.”

“Well, you and I are working together, and right now, I’d like to kill you.”

“You and I are not working together. Just because Perry made you my watchdog, temporarily, doesn’t mean we’re working together.”

“Lois, listen to me. You are in danger! You can’t go around telling everybody you’re alive. We need to use that to surprise the killer and maybe get him to give himself away. You didn’t call anybody else last night did you?”

“No, of course, not. Just Daniel.”

“Why would you call him, of all people? Don’t you think Lucy or your parents might like to know you’re alive? And why didn’t you tell me about the call?” As he listed her transgressions, his voice rose to a shout. “How do you know he’s not the one who tried to kill you? You’re behaving irresponsibly.”

“Uh-oh. Dad’s mad,” interposed Scardino, smirking at Lois. She, in turn, glared at Clark and pointedly poured only two cups of coffee, one of which she handed to Scardino.

“You can leave, now, Clark. Dan can guard me while we discuss our investigation. I’ll call Perry later and tell him everything is okay.”

“No way!” His voice was loud and demanding. “I’m not leaving until I get an explanation of what’s going on between you two.”

Deciding to put an end to his interference, Lois exclaimed, “Just because Perry hired you and told you to keep an eye on me does not give you the right to hang around, now that it’s not necessary, and pry into what I’m doing. This is none of your business, so just go back to Kansas and leave me alone.”

“I’m not leaving you alone until Perry says it’s all right, and I’m sure not leaving you alone with a guy who could have tried to kill you.”

“That’s the second, or is it the third, time you’ve said that, Kent. You’re starting to make me mad. I wouldn’t try to kill Lois. I told you we’re friends.” Scardino put his arm around her shoulder, and they smiled fondly at each other.

The assurance did not make Clark feel any better. His face was now a thundercloud, as he searched for the words to reply. Lois saw his momentary hesitation and prepared to move in for the kill.

Releasing herself from Dan’s grasp, Lois reached out to touch Clark’s arm. “Clark, I’m sorry. You were so helpful and reassuring last night. Somehow we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot this morning. Why don’t we all sit down and have a cup of coffee, and I’ll try to explain to you.” She kicked herself inwardly. She couldn’t believe she’d just said that. It was anything but a coup de grace. Was she getting soft...or was there something about this guy?

Clark allowed her to guide him to the kitchen table and give him some coffee. When they were all seated, she began.

“It was Diane Goodman who was murdered in my apartment Saturday night. She asked if she could use my place for a few hours before she caught the redeye to L.A. She had some vacation time coming and decided to get away from the November cold and sit on a beach in Fiji for a few days. I don’t usually do something like that, but I was going away myself, and she’d given me a source that tied my last story together; I decided to thank her by saying yes. I gave her the spare apartment key I keep in my desk, and told her she could leave it on the kitchen counter when she left.”

Scardino took up the tale. “Diane invited me to stop by for a drink. When I got here, she was dressed in a negligee and seemed to want to spend her waiting hours...uh, dallying. She was good looking and interesting and I thought, ‘Why not?’ It’s not like I had anything going with anyone else.”

“Sure, why not?” Clark mimicked and looked at Lois who appeared unmoved by Scardino’s words. He paused, briefly, then asked, “Lois, why were you going away?”

“Lex had asked me to marry him, and I needed to think it over. I went home, packed a bag, and stopped to see him again before I left town. I’d discovered some very suspicious things about him in the investigation that Dan and I were on. I had to decide if I love him and would be willing to ignore what I’d found out, or if I was going to pursue the story to wherever it might end.”

So she had suspected Lex was not what he seemed on the surface. Had that kick in the jaw been more than just her enthusiasm in a Tae Kwan Do challenge? Had it been a little payback for Luthor’s deception? There were startling revelations in what she’d said, but, ultimately, Clark found himself transfixed by the last. What had she decided about Lex? But he couldn’t ask. He didn’t want to reveal his feelings yet. He reluctantly returned to the explanation in progress.

“What happened that night?” he asked Scardino.

“We put on some appropriate music and drank a bottle of wine. It turned out she wanted to talk more than anything else. She told me she’d just left a long time relationship that had gone sour, and that’s why she was going all the way to Fiji. She wanted to get away from everybody and just sit on one of those isolated islands for a while. We were playfully arguing about whether to open another bottle of wine and let the evening turn romantic, when somebody knocked at the door. She wasn’t expecting anyone, but since it was Lois’s apartment, I thought she should answer it. She walked to the door and looked through the peephole. She must have recognized whoever was on the other side because she turned the knob and swung the door open. She didn’t have time to say anything before I heard the sound of the gun’s blast. The only light we had came from some candles, and all I saw was Diane falling and a shadow in the doorway. I hit the floor behind the couch so whoever it was wouldn’t see me and give me the same treatment. There were some clicking sounds, and then the door closed. Diane was...” he paused for a beat and continued, “unrecognizable. I didn’t want to compromise my investigation with Lois, and I hadn’t seen anything that would help the police, so I covered up the evidence leading to me, grabbed her purse and the key from the kitchen counter, and went down the fire escape.”

Clark regarded Scardino with contempt. “Henderson *should* arrest you and not just for obstructing justice. I think he could nail you as an accessory after the fact.”

Lois jumped in. “Now just a minute.”

Clark turned to her. “As for you. You’re not much better than he is. When did you find out, and why did you let everyone think you were dead?”

She paled slightly at the scorn in his words but answered without hesitation. “I heard it on the news as soon as the story broke. I called Dan, right away.”

“Why Dan? Why not Perry or your family, or Inspector Henderson?”

“I knew he had been with her, and I needed to find out what had really happened. Diane and I had a heart to heart about Dan when I gave her the key. She wanted to know if he was a stand up guy and asked me if it would be okay if she invited him in for a drink. I assured her we were just friends.”

Well, she and Dan agreed on their relationship. That put him out of the emotional game. There was still Lex, but for the moment, Clark didn’t think about her relationship with Luthor. He was disappointed with what Lois had done, and he could feel his regard for her eroding.

“After Dan filled me in, we both agreed that it would be safer for me if I stayed dead. I still needed some time to think about Lex, and Daniel wanted some time to ask around and see if he could come up with anything about who could have done it.”

“Is that all you care about - a story? Don’t people mean anything to you? Lucy, your parents, Perry, everybody at the Planet, even Bill Henderson have been devastated by what they thought was your violent death. And what about Diane Goodman’s family? Don’t they deserve to know what happened to her? How could you have even considered doing this?”

“Wait a minute, Kent. You’re not being fair to Lois. She thought of all of those things, but I talked her into hiding. I believed I might be able to come up with some idea of who did the killing. We would have told everyone as soon as I did.”

“But you didn’t, did you? Did you do anything besides eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at Molinaro’s?”

“Sarcasm isn’t your style, newsboy. If you knew anything, which you don’t, you’d know that Molinaro’s is where I meet with my snitches. They get a meal, and I get information.”

“And the information you got was...?”

“Unfortunately, not much. One or two mentioned Mr. Big, but they were all afraid to drop the dime on him.”

Lois cut in. “They talked about Lex?”

Before Scardino could say anything, Clark asked, “You know Luthor is Mr. Big?”

Lois shrugged. “I don’t have any definite proof, but everything I’ve found out points that way. That’s why I had to go away and think about his proposal.”

“Why would you even hesitate?” snapped Clark. “Are you going to tell me you could protect a criminal, or, god forbid, marry one?”

“I didn’t want to convict him until I could prove he was guilty. He loves me, and he asked me to marry him. That has to count for something.”

“Only if you love him. Do you?” At that moment, there was no one else in the room. Scardino had disappeared, and Clark and Lois were the only two people in a world on hold while he waited for her answer.

Short and definitive, it came quickly. “No.”

“Then you’re not going to marry him,” he stated with relief.

“I didn’t say that.”

“How could you possibly think of marrying him if you don’t love him, and you think he’s a criminal?’

“Dan and I are on the trail of something important, and Lex is almost certainly at the bottom of it. I need to stay close to him to find out the truth.”

“Is this the story in the files you left with Lucy?” At her nod, he went on. “Fine, then fill me in and we’ll finish it without your having to do anything as sordid as marrying Lex Luthor.”

“Clark, I can’t. I’m sorry, but the investigation is Dan’s and mine, and we have to decide what we think we should do. You’re not a part of it.”

It was the final encroachment in her assault on his opinion of her. “You know what? You’re right. I’m out of here. I’ll tell Perry that Dan is looking after you, and that he can call you here to get whatever explanation you deign to give him. As far as I’m concerned, you and Dan deserve each other.” With that, he flung open the door, strode through it, and slammed it behind him, rattling the windows.

++++++++++

To Be Continued

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell