It's date night!

What had he done? Asking a virtual stranger to go with him to meet his parents? The only girl he'd ever taken home was Lana and that was because he'd known her since they were in diapers. His parents wouldn't mind, of course. Hell, his mother would have him married before the night was over.

She's such a fantastic person, he thought of his mother. Martha loved him unconditionally, and he was thankful every day he had her. Even when the world had found out about him, Martha had been a trooper. She'd handled the press like she'd been a starlet all of her life. She'd also been the one to encourage him to continue his work as Superman. She hadn't let him give up.

No, taking a girl home wouldn't be a problem, at least not as far as his parents were concerned. The problem was him- how he felt every time he looked at Lois Lane. He'd wondered into her gallery to find something for his mother's birthday, but he'd never expected to find anything as priceless as Lois. Her eyes had widened slightly when she'd recognized him. He'd expected her to jump up and start to fawn all over him. Instead, she'd just watched him. And that was why he'd taken a second look at her. Hidden behind casual, comfortable clothes had been a very beautiful woman. She'd been void of heavy make-up or a costly hair style, which only made her more appealing. But what had really impressed Clark was those long lashes and stunning dark eyes.

He'd prayed she'd be the one to deliver his art and yet, he'd hoped she wouldn't. The moment he saw her again, he'd known he was in trouble.

And she was even more wonderful than he'd first thought. She'd replaced her paint splattered tee shirt in favor of a plain, white blouse. The form fitting cotton was carefully tucked into a pair of gray slacks. Lois was a tiny woman- he could probably wrap his hands around her waist. And he'd imagined doing just that, among other things.

Clark shook his head to get rid of those thoughts. He changed his clothes, again. Why was he suddenly having difficulty choosing what to wear?

He was in *big* trouble. Taking Lois anywhere would seriously complicate things. The poor girl didn't want paparazzi chasing her all over the city. And that's what would happen if they were even seen speaking to one another on the street. The public's relentless pursuit to expose the personal details of his life would drive her in sane, the same way it did anyone who got involved with him. Yet, right now all he could think about was looking at her. He'd be content to do that all night. Of course, the slight thrill he got when he heard her speak made him lightheaded.

And if he didn't hurry, he'd be late.

Clark crossed the roof again for the tenth time. He'd been there for nearly ten minutes, too anxious to wait another second. The anticipation felt like a knot deep in his belly. What was wrong with him? It wasn't like he hadn't been out before. He usually had a companion when he made appearances. Some of whom were quite pleasant. There were even two or three he'd seen more than once. They were pretty women, intelligent enough to carry on fascinating conversation. But none, not one, had made him feel remotely like he did when he simply thought about Lois Lane.

Who was she? What was she like? He found himself eager to find out those things and more.

"Hi."

He'd been so engrossed in his thoughts, she'd managed to sneak up on him. He turned and almost passed out. Her small frame made the little burgundy dress she wore look like an evening gown. Tonight she had on slightly more make-up, though nothing heavy. Her hair was piled on top of her head, a wisp outlining her face. The short heels she wore drew his eyes to her long legs and his fingers flexed slightly. What he wouldn't give to touch that silky skin!

"Should I have dressed more casually?"

"Ah, no!" Dammit! He'd answered way too loudly. "You look great," he offered.

"So do you," she answered with a smile.

And that was what made the picture complete. That gorgeous smile...

Think, Clark! He took a step toward her, his body beginning to hum in anticipation of holding her for the flight to Smallville.

"Should we go?"

He'd managed to hear her this time. "Sorry about this." He waved his hand to indicate the roof.

"I understand. Fewer complications."

It pained him to do this to her. It also thrilled him to no end. He stepped closer. "We'll go straight up pretty quickly." She nodded. "It'll be easier if I just..." He glanced at her, then before he could lose his nerve, scooped her up. She automatically wrapped her arms around his neck, nearly causing him to drop her. She smiled when he looked at her and then they were airborne.

"Oh!" Lois inhaled deeply as they shot into the air. When they stopped, she was looking down on the city. "Wow!"

"That's the way I feel nearly every time I fly," Clark told her, then set a course for Kansas. Again, she nearly squealed in delight. "Don't worry," he chuckled. "I haven't lost anyone yet." But she wasn't listening. She was engrossed in her surroundings. He'd looked for her to be a little apprehensive. Instead, she was excited. He could hear, and feel, her heart thundering in her chest.

"This is amazing!"

"Yes, it is," he answered, although he meant the company and not the view. He hadn't lied when he said he got a little thrill each and every time he flew. He'd just never gotten a thrill quite like this.

"Why am I so warm?"

"You're in my aura."

"Your who'ra?"

He laughed softly. "I have an aura surrounding my body."

"Like a force field?"

He'd never heard it put like that before, but, "Yeah, something like that. It only extends out a few millimeters and to anything that touches my skin."

"That's..." She was looking at him, an expression he'd never seen from a woman before. "Wow!" she mouthed before turning her head back so she could see more of the landscape.

What had he done? His heart felt as if it would jump through his chest at any second. How would he ever survive the night?

She'd done many, many thrilling things in her life, but none compared to this. Flying with Clark was the most amazing experience in her life. She suspected it had much more to do with the man than his abilities. Once the initial thrill had subsided, she'd tightened her arms around his neck slightly and asked him about everything she saw. He'd patiently answered every question and pointed out other things she might have missed. The flight had taken them just under an hour. They were slowly descending to the ground and once again, she was nervous.

She couldn't remember ever going home to meet 'the parents' on a first date.

Date? Was this a date?

"Here we are," Clark said as he slowly lowered her feet to the ground. Another thrill ran through her when his hand lingered just a second on the small of her back.

"That was great," she said breathlessly. He smiled at her- God, what a great smile! She fiddled with small handbag she'd brought along, unable to think of a single thing to say when he was looking at her.

"Ready to go in?"

Lois looked up at the small farmhouse. It was quaint- soft lights glowing in the windows. A huge porch stretched all the way across the front. There were two rocking chairs on one end, a swing on the other. She could just imagine spending long, lazy summer evenings out there.

"Lois?"

She looked back over at Clark's anxious face. He must think she'd changed her mind about being here because she hadn't answered him. "I'm sorry," she apologized. "I was admiring the house."

Clark chuckled softly. "My great grandfather built it with his own two hands."

"Really?"

"Yep. There have been some updates over the years... The most recent a few years ago when I offered to build them a new one. They wouldn't hear of it, so I put on a new roof, siding, new plumbing, wiring... the whole nine yards."

This man might be Superman- the most powerful man on the planet- but she was pretty sure he was priceless to the occupants of this house. His expression changed when he talked about his parents. She could almost feel the love he had for the couple who'd raised him as their own.

"Why don't we go see all those updates?" she asked when he glanced back over at her. Suddenly she wanted to meet the people responsible for creating such a selfless person.

"Okay," he answered with a smile. He waved his hand for her to go ahead of him and they slowly made their way across the front lawn.

Lois looked around at the little she could see of the farm in the evening dusk. With all Clark could do, it was almost hard to believe he'd grown up here.

"I must warn you. My mom is..." He trailed off as they climbed the stairs to the porch.

"She's what?" Lois asked him when they were at the door.

"She's out-spoken, fiery..."

Oh, no! She was about to meet the mama from hell. "Mean?" Lois added.

"No! Absolutely not," Clark insisted. "She's one of the most loving women you'll ever meet. She's just..." He cocked his head to one side as if trying to find the words to describe his mother. "...a mother all the way to her core."

Lois relaxed a bit. The admiration she saw in Clark's eyes assured her that his mother was not to be feared. And before they could further discuss Martha Kent's attributes, she opened the door.

"Clark!" The older woman pushed open the screen door and her eyes widened slightly in surprise when she saw her son had a guest.

"Mom!" Clark immediately stepped up and kissed her cheek. "This is..."

"Lois Lane!"

"You know her?" It was Clark's turn to be surprised.

"Of course I know her. My art isn't just a hobby, son." She extended her hand to the younger woman. "I've read every one of your reviews in 'Art in the City'."

Lois smiled and reached to take the offered hand in greeting. "Thank you. I just offer my honest opinion on the up and comers."

"Not to mention helping to thrust them into the spotlight."

Her cheeks heated a bit from the praise. "I do what I can."

"That you do." Martha finally released her hand. "Well, I've had a wonderful birthday already!"

"Oh, please. You're too kind, Mrs. Kent."

"Hush with that Mrs. Kent mess. Call me Martha."

Lois glanced at Clark, who shrugged. "Okay. But only if you call me Lois."

"Lois it is," Martha told her, then pushed the door open wider. "Now get in here. Jonathan is dropping the steaks now. I'll tell him to add one more. Clark didn't tell me he was bringing a guest."

Lois stopped just inside the door and flashed a glare at Clark. "I don't want to intrude..."

"Don't be silly," Martha said as she urged Lois to walk with her. "We don't use words like that in the Kent house. And anyone Clark brings home is more than welcome."

"Even if she crashes your birthday party?"

Martha laughed softly. "Those were always the best parties! Don't you think?"

And in that moment, Lois was lost. She'd never known her own mother very well. Ellen had passed away when Lois was ten. Though her father had been a very loving, wonderful father, he never could replace what Lois had longed for in a mother. A few simple words, a devilish little glint in her eyes- those things told Lois about the kind of person Martha was.

"Yeah," Lois finally agreed with a smile. "They usually were." She and Martha exchanged a silent agreement. She wasn't an intruder in this house- she was... at home.

Clark lightly touched the small of her back, offering his wordless support. "I'm going to go out and help Dad."

Lois nodded. She would be in good hands.

"Would you like something to drink? Tea, coffee, wine?" Martha held up her own wine glass. "I only drink on special occasions."

"I think wine would be good."

"That's the spirit." Martha turned and poured another glass. "I wasn't aware Clark even knew you. If I had been, I would have insisted a meeting long ago."

"Well, actually we just met this week," Lois told her as she took the offered glass of wine. They were in the dining room. Martha motioned for Lois to sit at the table with her. "He came into the gallery to buy a few pieces for his place."

"Like something that would fit in that box?" Martha pointed to a beautifully wrapped gift on the buffet.

"No comment," Lois told her with a grin. He must have flown out Martha's gift earlier that day.

"Clark's always buying me things. I tell him he doesn't have to."

"But he wants to," Clark said as he entered the room and stepped up behind his mother, placing his hands on her shoulders. "I love you and want you to have everything your heart desires."

"I know, honey." Martha patted his hand, then looked back over at Lois. "But all my heart desires is for her boy to be happy."

Lois' heart melted as she watched Clark bend over and kiss his mother's cheek. These two were friends. She was glad he'd had that relationship.

"Is she getting you skunked already?" Clark asked as he stepped over to pour himself a glass of wine.

"Don't listen to him," Martha warned . "He's a wise guy."

She couldn't help but laugh as mother and son continued their light hearted banner. Clark settled at the table and he and Martha passed insults back and forth for a couple of minutes. This was definitely not what she'd expected. She wasn't exactly sure what she'd expected. This woman had raised a super man. Had she thought Martha to be... strict, unyielding, demanding? She wasn't sure, but she did know this wasn't it.

"Lois, can we expect another Davinci any time soon?" Martha asked when she tired of her game with Clark.

"Ah, well, there's an opening for a painter next week? Very talented."

"That's great."

"You know, Mom's an artist," Clark spoke up.

"I like to dabble, Clark. There's a difference."

"I'd love to see some of it," Lois said. "What you consider dabble might be worth something."

"No." Martha waved her off.

"She's modest." Clark rose from his chair and left the room. Before either could say a word, he was back. He placed the frame he held on the table in front of Lois. "This isn't dabble."

The frame was a shadow box. Inside was a complete miniature kitchen. Each piece was a small cast of some type, intricate in detail. There was even tiny utensils on the table. "This is definitely not drabble," Lois said in awe. She held the piece closer as she studied the pieces. "Is it clay?"

"Yes."

"And you made all of these pieces?" She looked up at Martha, who simply nodded. "Martha, these are fantastic."

"I told you," Clark said proudly.

"Do you have more?" When Clark snorted, she looked up.

"She has tons of them."

"I don't have tons."

"Come on, Mom. You have a lot."

"I have fifty three that are finished."

"And ten million more pieces waiting for a home." Again, Clark reached out to squeeze his mother's shoulder before he took his seat again. "You'd think she had super speed as fast as she makes those things."

"I've just been making them a long time, honey."

"I'd love to see more," Lois told her. She didn't care how many she had, she wanted to see them all.

"After dinner," Martha answered.

Very modest, Lois decided of the woman across from her. Martha considered her little treasures a way to pass the time and nothing more. To her, it wasn't talent. It was just something she did.

"Okay, birthday girl. These steaks are perfect!" Everyone turned as Jonathan entered the room. He set the platter down on the table.

"Dad, this is Lois," Clark spoke up as his dad's eyes landed on the young woman.

"Well..." He reached out to shake the hand Lois had offered up. "You are a breath of fresh air!"

"Thank you."

"Ah, boy," he continued as he glanced over at Clark. "You have a keen eye." Reluctantly, he released Lois' hand. "Dinner in two," he announced, then left the room again.

Lois watched as both men hurried to get the rest of their dinner on the table.

"The only other day of the year I don't lift a finger to do a thing," Martha said as she leaned back in her chair. "I get breakfast in bed, lunch on the porch, and a wonderful supper. They even do the dishes."

"Now that's a good birthday," Lois agreed. They shared a laugh before their dinner was served up.

Clark watched as Lois laughed softly. He loved how her eyes crinkled at the corners, how the light danced on her pupils. Her eyes were her most expressive feature. As they'd shared a wonderful meal and even better conversation with his parents, he'd delighted in the changes in her dark pools. Did she have any idea how incredibly beautiful her eyes were?

The one thing Clark had always been truly grateful for was his parents' tact when it came to his personal life. They respected his privacy almost to the point of being ridiculous. While the world knew he was Superman, very few were privy to who Clark Kent really was. So, they'd spent the evening discussing current events, local artists, farming, and the motives of a billionaire named Lex Luthor. Much to Clark's surprise, Lois seemed to be as equally grateful not to have to discuss subjects more personal.

"So, what do you say we open gifts?" Jonathan suggested as he got to his feet to retrieve the three gifts on the buffet.

"Ah, honey, thank you." Martha exchanged one of those looks with her husband Clark loved to see. He was also incredibly envious of what his parents shared. He would never tell them that- he didn't have to. His mother knew how badly he longed to find someone to share his life with. He glanced at Lois who smiled and leaned up on the table to watch as the older woman ripped the paper from her first gift.

"How do you buy for a woman who has everything?" Jonathan asked as he retook his seat. He winked at Lois, eliciting a laugh.

Martha's first gift was a brand new high definition DVD player. "This is great!"

"Mom's a movie buff," Clark explained. "She's been wanting one of those for a while. You should see the movie room."

Lois nodded and watched as the next package revealed a lifetime membership to one of those mail order movie services.

"Compliments of Superman," Clark told her with a wink.

Martha laughed softly. "I love that boy!" That caused everyone in the room to laugh out loud. When she'd unwrapped the statue Clark had bought, she smiled over at Lois. "My boy has good taste."

"He certainly does," Lois agreed. "And I have something..." Lois rummaged through her small handbag and produced an envelope.

"Oh, dear, you didn't have to do that," Martha said.

"There's no way I was coming without a gift."

Martha smiled and took the envelope. Inside was a pair of tickets to the gallery opening in Metropolis the following week. "Lois, this great!"

"I figured that if Clark was buying you art that you might like something like that. And, well, Superman isn't the only one with connections." She winked over at the man she'd just spoken of, unaware that the simple act almost caused him to float out of his chair.

Down, boy! He told himself as he forced his lungs to take in air. This woman was doing a number on his libido.

"I love it. Thank you, Lois."

"You're welcome, Martha."

"Jonathan, honey, would you like to go?"

"I would love a chance to see this pretty little lady again," he answered.

"Clark, will we be able to use the penthouse?"

"Of course, Mom. And I'll fly you out." Clark smiled at Lois. "Thank you for such a generous gift."

"Actually, I'd like to offer Martha a more generous gift." This got everyone's attention. "I'd like to take a few of your shadow boxes to show some people. And I'd love to display them in my gallery."

"Don't be silly. Nobody wants to see those things." Martha waved her hand dismissively, then took a drink of her wine.

"Miniatures are very popular. I think they would be a hit."

Clark looked over at the woman across from him. She was essentially a promoter. She would know if his mother's art would be popular or not, but promoters made a living on the works of others. Was that Lois' intention? To capitalize on his mother's talents? He studied her for a moment, then quickly dismissed that idea. Lois was not that kind of woman. Yes, she was a stranger, but there was something about her he recognized. She wouldn't do anything to take advantage of his mother.

"What would it hurt to let her show a few, Mom?"

Martha's smile faded and she looked at her son. "Do you really think it's okay?"

He reached over and squeezed her hand. "I do." He smiled softly.

"Okay," she told Lois.

"Great!"

"My wife, the artist! Who knows, honey? We might be able to retire soon."

"Oh, Jonathan!"

Clark gave Lois a grateful look, one she seemed to readily understand. "Now, I have one more gift."

"Oh, Clark, tell me you didn't," his mother begged.

"This one you'll like." He pulled a set of keys from his pocket. "These fit a brand new luxury coach."

"Ah, son!" This time it was Jonathan who spoke up in a very excited voice.

"You'll leave the Friday before Labor Day. You can stay gone as long as you want to."

"What about the farm?" his mother asked.

"Hired Wayne's boy to tend to the farm. He's a senior this year and he needs every penny for college."

"But, Clark, we're not retired yet," his father added.

"Ah, come on, Dad. Why wait on tomorrow if you can do it today? Haven't we learned from my experiences not to waste a moment?" He reached over to grasp his mother's hand. "The coach is stocked, gassed, and ready to go. There's a folder in the desk drawer with tickets to all those places you've talked about seeing. A brand new digital camera with a memory card big enough to store tons of pictures. And there's always a photo lab around the corner so you can email them home. I've opened an account so that you can have what you need for as long as you need it. All you have to do is pack and hit the road."

By now Martha's eyes had swelled with tears. "But..."

"But what? The dolly's hooked up so you can pull the sedan. Go, Mom." He looked over at Lois. "Tell her, Lois. They've always talked about traveling around the country, seeing all the wonders out there. I can see them any time I want. Hell, I can take them anywhere they want to go. But to just lumber around the country, stopping when and where they want. The people they'll meet, the time they'll spend together..."

"Clark's right, Martha." Lois reached over and rubbed the older woman's arm. "You'll make memories you couldn't anywhere else or any other way."

"See? You can spend the week in the city with me, get all dressed up for that opening next week, then hit the road."

Martha smiled widely, then leaned forward to kiss Clark's forehead. "Thank you, son."

"You're welcome." He pulled away from his mom and tossed his dad the keys to the coach.

"Hot dog!" Jonathan was clearly not as reluctant to turn down such a generous offer.

"The coach is at Wayne's. Beth helped me stock it."

"Well, I say let's cut the cake!" Jonathan spoke up.

Clark quickly agreed, then his eyes fell on his guest. She was looking at him with more admiration than he'd ever seen on anyone's face. His smile faded from the intensity of the moment. This woman looked at him like a man instead of an object. She appeared much more interested in who he was instead of what he could do. That was something new to the superhero. He was used to being viewed as larger than life, too untouchable for association with mere mortals. Most people didn't even stoop to pretenses, simply fawning over his super side. But this woman really didn't seem all that impressed with the son of Krypton. She did, however, seem very impressed with the son of Kent.

Lois was the one to break the tension, excusing herself to go to the restroom. Clark's eyes met those of his knowing mother, but she didn't say a word- just smiled. Did this woman know everything?