Bet you guys thought I'd died! There's been times I've felt like I was cat but I'm still here! Anyway, was watching (mostly listening) to the game and decided to see if you guys thought I could still write coherently. Be patient though. I'm not a fan of posting in parts. I've combed through this dozens of times, but it has not been beta'd. So, if you're still interested, enjoy!

All the usual disclaimers apply.

My Inspiration

Why was it there was never anything to wear in her closet? Lois surveyed the two blouses lying on the bed, insisting that today she was going to dress to impress. In the end, she chose another of the soft, worn tee shirts she always did. She'd get paint on it was the excuse she used and headed into her kitchen for coffee. She flipped the television on to see what was making the news.

"Clark Kent was in New York last night promoting his new book." The camera panned out to focus on a tall, dark haired man weeding his way through a crowd outside a bookstore on a busy city street. "An early review in from the critic of the Daily Planet says that this is the best novel the super man has written. It's a chilling tale of betrayal and intrigue that's sure to keep readers on the edge of their seats." Another shot showed the writer signing autographs and laughing at a lady in front of him.

"Speaking of Clark Kent, his super side made an appearance on the children's ward of Lexington Memorial while in the Big Apple." This time the scene was of the same handsome man in a flashy blue suit, complete with a red cape. He was reading to a group of kids. "Superman will attend the peace summit next month in Australia. World officials are hopeful that with his presence many compromises will be reached this year."

Lois continued to watch the coverage of the world's resident superhero. Clark Kent was nothing short of extraordinary. Until a few years ago he was content to spend his life writing, with the world none the wiser that he was also the famous self made savior. What the world thought was a simple farm boy from Kansas turned out to be an alien from another world. Not only that, he had vast powers that were beyond explanation. He could actually fly! He'd used his powers to help others when he could and had eventually created Superman to allow him anonymity so that he could live a somewhat normal life. However, a man named Jason Trask had other plans. Trask had once been a colonel in the US Army- led a task force to protect the country from alien invasion. His beliefs had eventually cast him to the cusp of reality and earned him a discharge from the military. He'd regrouped, with the help of various sources, and formed his own paramilitary group and continued to seek out those he felt threatened his way of life. Superman was his first priority and he set out to prove the man in the cape had another agenda. That mission took him to Smallville, Kansas. There he discovered Clark Kent's biggest secret and within a short time, the entire world knew of that man's amazing abilities.

Clark had been hounded almost relentlessly in those first few months. He'd been chased by the government because they felt he really was a threat. Why else would he hide his true identity from the world? Eventually he'd helped out when a major earthquake shook apart an entire village in South America, and the world began to see him in a different light. He'd reached nothing short of celebrity status, although he was the most grounded celebrity Lois had ever seen. He was modest, honest, and compassionate. He gave freely of what precious little time he did have outside his Superman duties and his writing career. He loved his parents and protected them at all costs. To top it off, he was gorgeous.

Lois licked her lips and forced her attention away from the television. Clark Kent was untouchable and gawking at him wasn't helping her. She needed to get to the gallery. There was a prospect coming in early this morning.

The day was promising to be beautiful. The sun was bright and the air crisp. Though she should get moving, Lois was in no great hurry as she walked through the busy streets. It was barely eight in the morning and already the street was filled with people. She lived in a section of the city known as Market Row. Street vendors of all kinds lined the sidewalks every day of the year. Traffic had long ago begun to by-pass this area so walking was the most efficient method of transportation until one reached the next block.

She grabbed her morning bag of fruit, then hurried the last few steps to the door of her gallery. Living and working on the same street had its advantages.

The Lane Gallery was nestled right in the middle of Market Row, in between the various shops in the older buildings. Situated in a popular area of town for shopping, it wasn't the best place for selling art. At least that's what you would think. However, the Lane Gallery had showcased some the best art in the world over the past few years. Lois not only sold the art she loved so much, she sought out unknown artists and gave them their first break. She'd present their work to the city in shows at her gallery and within weeks, they were on their way. She could have done the same, trailing on the hills of the many protege she'd turned out. Instead, she was content to stay tucked away in her little art haven on a busy market street in Metropolis.

"Good morning!" Lois sang out happily to the fish in a large, circular bowl that sat in the front window of her gallery. As usual they chose to wait patiently for their food. "Yeah. I got it," she told them as she dropped a pinch of food into the water.

"Sorry I'm late," came a breathless voice as another woman entered the room.

"Good morning to you, too," Lois answered.

"Oh. Good morning, sis." Lucy Lane, Lois' younger sister, tucked her bag under the counter against the far wall. "You would not believe Charlie's nerve," she continued.

Lois drowned her out as she moved around the gallery turning on the various lamps. Lucy helped Lois in the shop and was her roommate. She was also her best friend when she found time to work Lois into her very busy social life. And Lucy talked a lot.

A smile tugged at the corners of Lois' mouth as she admired the painting on the easel before her. She'd just arranged an opening for another up and coming artist. And his work was simply breath taking.

"Hey, Lo. Want a juice?"

"Sure, Luce." She turned as Lucy exited the building, headed in the direction of their favorite deli.

There was a ton of paperwork involved with an opening, so Lois pulled out the chair at her desk to get started. She'd just settled when the bell signaled someone had entered the door. She looked up in time to see a man face her fish tank.

"May I help you?" she asked softly.

"I'd just like to browse," came his answer as he bent to get a better look at the fish in the water.

"Sure. Make yourself at home and if you need anything, just yell."

"Okay." He moved slowly away from the fish tank toward the wall.

Lois watched as he stared up at a painting of Market Row. He moved on down the wall, gazing briefly at the art. When he turned to admire a statue on a pedestal, she was able to see part of his face for the first time. Her eyes widened as she recognized him. Or at least she thought she did. He looked a lot like Clark Kent! His eyes were covered by dark shades so she couldn't say for sure.

Not until he turned toward a half wall directly in front of her. He bent to look at the treasure contained on that wall and as he did, he removed his glasses. There was no denying it; he was definitely Clark Kent.

"That was painted by Dale Cromer," Lois felt compelled to point out.

He merely nodded and moved further into the gallery.

Thank goodness she'd designed the place with an open floor plan, Lois thought as she continued to snatch glances of her visitor. Why had he drifted into her place? He usually didn't go out without a huge crowd nipping at his heels. Though he'd adamantly insisted that Clark Kent was who he was, everyone always beckoned for a glance of Superman. But he was a bit of a celebrity without his flashy suit. Clark Kent had made quite a name for himself in the world of prose. He was one of the best selling authors in the world.

"Is this an original?" he asked as he stood facing a small statue.

"Yes," Lois told him as she made her way over to him. "It's one of the first pieces Tony made."

Clark turned it over in his hand several times before he held it out to Lois. "I'll take it," he said.

"O... kay," she managed after a moment. She was able to see his face fully and it nearly took her breath away. She'd have been blind not to think him a handsome man from the hundreds of pictures and videos she'd seen. She'd heard others say he was even better looking in person, but to see for herself was something else altogether. He wasn't just good-looking, he was... beautiful.

Making sure she had a firm grip on the statue, she somehow managed to keep her hands from shaking as she took it from him.

He turned and continued his perusal of the paintings on the back wall. Lois went to place his new art on the front counter and when she turned back, he was still looking at the same painting. It was one of hers. She'd only painted ten portraits and five were on display in her gallery. She'd sold three and the remaining two hang on the walls of her apartment. Painting had once brought her tremendous pleasure and joy, but her true calling was to promote others.

"That one is a rare find," Lois explained as she again headed toward him.

"It's very beautiful," he said softly and reached out to touch the canvas lightly with the tips of his fingers. "The colors are amazing."

And they were. She wasn't sure where she'd gotten the inspiration, but she'd captured the setting sun perfectly. It was as if she were above it looking down, the coast of an ocean in the background.

"It's exactly what it looks like from up there," he commented.

And he should know, she thought. He was able to see it any time he wanted, without a plane.

"My father has his pilot's license," Lois told him. "He'd take me up nearly every afternoon when we vacationed in New England."

"You painted this?" Clark asked as he looked at her for the first time.

"Yes," Lois answered as she continued to stare at the painting, completely unaware that the man beside her had discovered new inspiration. But he'd begun to roam again by the time her eyes drifted back toward him.

"And this one," Clark said as he stopped in front of another of her paintings.

It, too, was painted as if she'd been looking down from the sky. Instead of an ocean, this one was a painting of the mountains, and it featured bright sunshine glistening off of beautiful snow caps.

"Wyoming," Clark remarked.

"Great eye," Lois replied as she moved over beside him.

"This is Herman's Gorge." Clark's finger skimmed over the area on the canvas he was talking about. "My dad and I went on a hiking trip there when I was twelve."

Lois merely nodded. She noticed, out of the corner of her eye, that Clark was smiling slightly, as if remembering that trip with his dad. It must have been a special memory, she noted.

"I want both of the paintings as well," he announced after a moment, then continued his perusal of the gallery.

Nodding, because she was too stunned to speak, Lois made her way back toward her desk. Clark was both famous and wealthy, and though she'd known that already, it was still a difficult concept to grasp. This wasn't some shopping trip she'd heard about him taking on television. He was here, in her gallery, about to buy several thousand dollars worth of art. She'd purposely priced her own paintings on the high side because of the sentimental value. If they were expensive, chances were that no one would ever buy them and they'd remain in the gallery. Crazy idea, but it had worked for her for years. Now, however, she was about to take down her paintings and send them off to be someone else's treasures. And they weren't being purchased by just anybody. Clark Kent would actually own some of her work. Rather than saddened by that fact, she was a little overwhelmed.

"Could you have these things delivered?"

The question pulled her from her reverie, and she looked up at her patron with a smile. "Absolutely." During the time she'd been thinking about the single most recognizable man on the planet buying items from her gallery, she'd been gathering the paperwork to transfer ownership. "I'll need a few signatures from you," she told him as she pushed the papers over in front of him. He'd come to stand at the counter before her. "And you'll need to fill this out."

Clark's eyes skimmed over the documents, then he reached for the pen Lois held out to him. When he was done, he looked up at her. "I would appreciate a little discretion," he said as he handed the papers back to her.

"I assure you that the Lane Gallery is the most reputable business you've ever dealt with," she replied seriously.

He looked at her for a moment before he nodded and reached into his pocket to pull out his wallet. "I assume this is sufficient for payment?" he asked as he held out a credit card.

"It is as long as it clears the bank," she half joked as she reached to take the card. Instead of releasing the plastic, Clark held it until Lois looked him in the eyes. Then he did something that almost took her breath away again. He smiled brightly.

"Thank you," he told her before he gave up the card.

She returned his smile, then turned to complete the transaction. When all the paperwork was done, she walked over to where he stood gazing out the window. "One more signature." She waited patiently for him to pen his name. "When would you like these delivered?"

"Friday," he answered. "Any time after two." He handed her a card he was holding. "To this address."

She glanced down briefly. "This is not..."

"My home address?" She nodded. "No."

And that was all he offered in the way of explanation. "They'll be there," she assured him. If he expected privacy, she wouldn't disappoint him.

Clark nodded, pushed his sunglasses back up on his face, then smiled. "I'll be looking for them."

And with that, he was gone. Lois watched from the window as he made his way down the street and into the alley beside her building. A second later, she heard the familiar boom she'd heard many times on television, signaling his departure.

"Wow!" she whispered.

"You won't believe who I just saw!" came Lucy's happy voice as she breezed back into the gallery.

Oh, yeah? Lois challenged her silently.

"Barry Conner!"

How about Clark Kent? Lois asked thoughtfully as she took one last look out the window. She was certain he wanted his visit kept quiet. Lois felt that even her sister didn't need to know about it. She made her way over to her desk and unlocked the drawer that she kept private files in. With a final glance at the paperwork in her hand, she placed them inside, then relocked it. She tucked the card he'd given her into the pocket of her jeans. She'd give Lucy the day off Friday. They'd certainly made enough money today to take a few. Lucy wouldn't mind. By the way she was going on about their former neighbor, she'd be able to fill her time.