Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Commants?

BTW, are there any stories out there where Nightfall, in one form or another, hits the Earth?

Bob

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am guessing that your story is the first where Nightfall (or at least some fragments) actually hit.

It was interesting that even without his glasses, no one realized that Clark was Superman. I assume that the "burning" inside is due to the Kryptonite that he inhaled, so it'll be a while yet before his powers come back, if they do. I thought your description of them huddled in the shelter was interesting.

Looking forward to the next part!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I hope Luthor's assets take a beating in this meteorite storm. He's the one who really caused the problem. Trouble is, even when Clark regains his memories, how will he prove it? The physical evidence was destroyed either in space or upon reentry. Of course, if he can prove it, they'll be able to take Luthor down.

But he'd better hurry. The pace of the destruction will only intensify as the days pass.

I appreciated Lois' comparison between her situation and the survivors of the London blitz in 1940. Those brave English could, at least, direct their efforts and energies against the Germans who were bombarding them. There is little or nothing which can be done at this point against the meteorite storm. It's bound to cause some real stress in the survivors.

Just had a troubling thought. What if Luthor didn't miscalculate the release of the Kryptonite gas in Superman's pressure suit? What if he planned all along to pull a rabbit out of his hat and destroy the main chunks of meteor in space after the first wave hit and make himself the hero? Wouldn't that just fit his sociopathic outlook?

And will the destruction reach half-way across the country to Kansas? Will the Kent farm suffer damage? Or even the Kents themselves? Oh, that would be evil, wouldn't it!

Next chapter, please? This is an intriguing take on the Nightfall episode. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It actually came! eek The entire shelter-scene was help Please? huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Impact! Wow! I didn't think that would happen.

So what happens now? Will Clark regain his powers? If so, when? And is Lois right, is everybody going to blame Superman? And Clark without his glasses - can he really come back as Superman without giving his "other identity" away?

Fascinating concept, Bob. Looking forward to more!

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I just caught up on this story this evening. A very interesting read!

I only tend to nitpick at the best stories, so please feel complimented when I point out one flaw that was later repeated. I would find it a ghastly oversight if the physicians treating a burn victim didn't prescribe any pain killers, particularly since burns are one of the most painful injuries. In the same way, Clark should make sure that he packs his painkillers for the visit to the shelter.

As did everybody else, I loved the comparison to life in the shelter with WW-II's blietzkrieg (please, forgive my atrocious spelling). I had thought of it myself, and was happy to see it confirmed.

It did, however, give me the heebie jeebies when Lois told Lex her location. I wondered if he could arrange for a "meteor" to hit her shelter out of spite.

Elisabeth

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all for the comments. There is much more to come and I hope people continue to find these ideas to be interesting.

c-mom:
I assume that the "burning" inside is due to the Kryptonite that he inhaled, so it'll be a while yet before his powers come back, if they do.
Yes. I was hoping that came across.

Terry:
I have written several replies to your notes and keep having to erase them. I wish I could answer all of them better but when I try, I keep saying too much. However, here are a few notes:

I hope Luthor's assets take a beating in this meteorite storm.
But Lex has so many assets, both legitimate and underworld. I would never bet against him figuring out a way to come out ahead.

But he'd better hurry. The pace of the destruction will only intensify as the days pass.
In Chapter 6, the impact shower was expected to have only 12-hour duration. I hope you won’t be too disappointed that the scientists were right.

Again, I love your questions and wish I could answer more here.

Michael:
It actually came!
Yes, it did. Well, some of it came.

Kermtzu started with a post-apocalyptic Earth
Well, we'll see what the morning brings.

Ann:
Will Clark regain his powers?
If so, when?
And is Lois right, is everybody going to blame Superman?
And Clark without his glasses - can he really come back as Superman without giving his "other identity" away?
Aargh! I want to answer so badly. Please keep reading.

Elisabeth:
Welcome to my little story. I hope you enjoy it.

You said:
I would find it a ghastly oversight if the physicians treating a burn victim didn't prescribe any pain killers, particularly since burns are one of the most painful injuries. In the same way, Clark should make sure that he packs his painkillers for the visit to the shelter.
I can’t believe I made an error like this. For me, this is particularly onerous. You see, Beverly and I met while I was working in a hospital. When I was there, this hospital had the only specialized burn treatment center in our region. I was only in housekeeping, but from time to time, I worked inside the burn unit. I know how difficult pain management can be for burn victims.

My only excuse, and it is a poor one, is that Clark’s burns were not that severe. However, as I know that is not a defense, I have taken a note and before this story is archived, I will address the pain management oversight.

Thanks again for the feedback. I had a productive weekend and hope to be able to pick up the pace.

Bob

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Thanks, Bob. I was hoping you would be okay with a little constructive criticism, particularly since there were so many neat things I wanted to point out in your story but all of my thoughts seemed to disappear into the fog.

Elisabeth
who is still watching for part ten and needing to know the approximate posting schedule

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
Thanks, Bob. I was hoping you would be okay with a little constructive criticism, particularly since there were so many neat things I wanted to point out in your story but all of my thoughts seemed to disappear into the fog.

Elisabeth
who is still watching for part ten and needing to know the approximate posting schedule
I didn't find this to be critical at all. All you did was point out a story element I overlooked. Okay, I guess that is criticism but there was nothing to react badly to.

I hope you'll stick around for the whole thing. This is far-away my most ambitious undertaking. It's far bigger than anything I've done before and the story has some more risky elements - such as Nightfall fragments killing millions - so it's not all sweetness and WAFF.

Part 10 went up tonight. My original posting schedule was twice per week. I fell off that and am trying to get back to it. I'm reasonably sure that I'll be able to keep up at least one update per week.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved the bit where Clark held Lois throughout the night. I can just see them together.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard