Again, sideways-eight thanks to HappyGirl and IolantheAlias for beta input above and beyond the call of duty. Any gaps or errors still here are due to the fact that I was still tweaking the story up until 5 minutes ago.

***~~~***
Chapter 8: Friends
***~~~***

Lois’s quick departure to see Mr. Luthor had left Clark wondering about the reason behind the suddenness of her departure. They had just finished listening to Luthor’s address where he seemed to blame Superman for the failure of the Nightfall mission. Then Clark had also gotten careless and let his attraction to her come out in the open. When that had happened, at first she just stared at him for a few seconds. Then she seemed to snap out of it, muttered something about needing to see Lex immediately, and darted out. He couldn’t help but wonder if the real reason for her departure was Luthor, or was it what he’d said?

Clark wasn’t sure what to think about Lex Luthor. He must be a good person for Lois to be involved with him at all. However, Lois seemed very upset by what he said about Superman. Clark expected that once he either met Mr. Luthor or saw a picture of him, some feelings would surface since Lois said that they both knew him. He was a successful businessman and a pillar of the community, so Clark expected that when the reaction did kick in, it would be somewhere between how he reacted to Jimmy Olsen and Mr. White. Clark had already concluded that he seemed to like just about everyone. His most negative feelings had been toward Ralph and, having watched him at the office all day, the basis of those feelings was obvious. Ralph was an obnoxious jerk.

As he looked around, Clark could hardly believe that this was his apartment. He had spent nearly an hour familiarizing himself with his home but no matter what he did or where he looked, he just didn't find anything that stirred any memories. He had found a photo album of what appeared to be pictures of himself growing up. He recognized his parents, but none of the other people triggered any strong feelings and certainly no memories. It was very confusing. From what Lois said, he was a friendly person. But based on the emotional clues, he didn't develop strong ties. So far, the only strong reactions had been when he had seen pictures of his parents, and, of course, Lois.

During his survey of his apartment, he’d made a careful search of the bathroom. He found soap, shampoo and various other toiletries, but despite his best effort he found no razor. He had been curious about what kind of razor he used. The orderly who had provided the shaving kit at the hospital had checked on him before he left. When he saw the cuts on Clark’s face, he suggested that Clark probably used an electric razor at home. He said that the scrapes on his face were common for men the first time they used a blade-based razor if their skin was adapted to an electric shaver. Clark was surprised when he couldn’t find any shaving supplies in his apartment. He was glad that he had kept the kit and it would serve for a few days until he either found his shaver or bought one.

After examining his apartment, Clark realized he didn't know what to do. He thought about turning on the television but knowing that the coverage would probably be nothing but Nightfall made that unappealing. Thinking about Nightfall sent a chill through him. He’d noticed a similar reaction each time he’s thought of the impending meteor shower during the day, but didn’t think too much of it. The Nightfall meteor shower was probably making everyone nervous and scared. Now, in the stillness of his apartment, he realized that the sense of dread was stronger than he’d realized. After considering it for a few minutes he imagined that most people were having similar feelings about the approaching menace.

Clark ended up just sitting on his sofa trying to explore the grey fog that was his memory. No matter how hard he tried, nothing would come and it was very frustrating. He had been so busy during the day that he hardly noticed his missing memories. Sure, he would like to have a better feel for people and friends, but his day had been so full that he didn't have time to dwell on what he was missing.

He suspected that Lois was largely responsible for his more positive mood earlier in the day. It would be hard to imagine being around her and having to worry about things being too quiet or too still. She was energy made flesh. Based on what he had seen today, and the way he reacted to working with her, it was clear that her drive and zest for life were much of what attracted him to her.

Sitting alone in the stillness of the empty apartment caused Clark to lose all track of time. After a while he gave up on his uncooperative memory and decided that while he wasn’t interested in anything on the radio or television, listening to music seemed appealing. He had noticed that he possessed a wide-ranging music collection and concluded that listening to it might help pass the evening. He had just started looking through his collection when he heard a knock on his door.

Clark opened the door to find Lois waiting. As soon as he saw her it was as if the sun had come out. The surge of emotion felt almost as strong as when he had seen her at the hospital. As he felt his face develop a smile, he wondered if she always affected him this way. How could he feel like this and never tell her? There had to be a reason, but that was lost along with the rest of his memories.

She seemed nervous and maybe a little confused. “Hi Clark. May I come in?”

Was it even possible that he could say no to anything she asked? “Of course, Lois.” He stepped aside to invite her in. As they walked to the sofa he asked, “Did you get to see Mr. Luthor?”

As she started to sit down he thought he detected unsteadiness in her movements. Then when she was finally seated, he noticed that her hands were trembling. “Clark, I... I was able to see him but...”

She was clearly very upset. What he had first thought to be simple nervousness seemed to have gotten worse. Her hands were in her lap and she looked more agitated than he’d seen her all day. He had an impulse to put his arms around her slender shoulders and assure her that he would do whatever he could to make things better. However, he knew she would never accept that kind of support from him. Instead, he sat down beside her and reached over to place his hand over hers. He moved slowly because he was afraid that she might view it as too forward, but it felt like it was the right thing to do. As his hand settled over hers, he asked, “Lois, what happened?”

It warmed his heart when she turned her hand and grasped his. “Lex... He claimed that there was evidence that Superman deliberately caused the Nightfall mission to fail. He insisted that is the only possible explanation based on the telemetry and other mission information.”

She looked so distraught. Clark didn’t have any memory of Superman but the idea that Superman would deliberately hurt anyone felt wrong. While he was searching for a reply, Lois started speaking again. “It's just not possible. Superman's... He's a good person. He'd never do anything like that.” Lois was now squeezing his hand with enough force that it hurt. It was like she needed to have something to hold on to and he was it. Tears were starting to run down her cheeks.

Clark fumbled for what to say. “I don't remember Superman, but I do have some of those feelings and I'm sure you're right about him. I don't remember any details about him, but the idea that Superman would do anything like this feels very wrong. Lois, I can't tell you why you're right, but I'm sure you are.”

She loosened her grip on his hand and he took that opportunity to reach into a pocket and pull out a handkerchief. When he offered it to her she said simply, “Clark, you're a good friend.”

If only he could be more, he thought. “You were gone for quite some time. Did you spend all that time talking about Superman?”

The question seemed to unsettle her even more than she already was. “No. Lex took me down to his basement. He has a bomb shelter under his building.”

“That doesn't seem surprising,” Clark replied. “Many buildings have those sorts of things. I heard today that the Planet has one in its basement and will be opening it tomorrow night. I imagine Mr. Luthor will be doing the same thing.”

“Not quite, Clark. Space in Lex's shelter is by exclusive invitation only. He invited me to stay there with him.”

As he thought about Lois staying with Luthor, he felt a chill similar to what he felt when he thought about Nightfall. However, given that Lois was a friend, an invitation shouldn’t seem surprising. Clark had to be careful in his reply because he didn't want to sound petty or jealous. “He's probably trying to express his friendship.”

“He showed me my apartment.” Her tone lacked the confidence that he usually associated with Lois.

“He set aside an entire apartment for you? That's really…something.”

She shook her head. “You don't understand. He showed me a perfect reproduction of *my* apartment. It is the same layout. It has my furniture and copies of many of my…more personal items. Everything was in the same place as at home. Even the bedroom furniture was arranged the same. He’s certainly never been in my bedroom. It was…strange.”

Even without memories, Clark knew this didn't seem right. “How did he know all of the details? Did you provide him a plan of your apartment and a survey of your furniture?”

This seemed to catch her by surprise. “No. I was so upset about Superman that I didn't think. How did he know all that?” She paused for a moment and looked like she was rethinking what she saw. “It wasn’t just the furniture. There were little things were even more personal than the furniture. There were copies of the books I own on the shelves in that apartment. And, Clark, I think they were even in the same arrangement on the book shelves.”

The more she described that apartment, the more wrong the whole situation felt to Clark. “Lois, this is your business, but it doesn’t feel right. How would he get all those details if you didn’t tell him? To do all that he’d have to have detailed pictures of everything inside your apartment. Is there any reason that he would have had your apartment searched?”

Now she looked even more perplexed. Clark wanted to help but didn’t know how. “Is there anything I can do?” he offered.

“I don't know. I feel so…confused. I turned Lex’s invitation to stay there down at first, but I had been rethinking that decision. Now... well, there's no way I'm staying in that clone apartment. I guess I haven't had time to decide what to do. The idea that someone might have gone through my apartment makes me feel…violated. Right now I don’t even want to go to my real apartment.”

“Would you like to stay here tonight?” The offer had come without conscious thought.

“Clark...?”

He had to fight to keep this sounding like a suggestion and not a plea. “I know there's nothing personal between us. But given how you’re feeling… Even if you weren’t upset about that copy of your apartment, this isn't a night to be by yourself.”

From the look on her face, Clark could tell that she saw right through him. She knew that this was as much about his well-being as it was hers. “Lois, I know this is selfish on my part but you make my world brighter just by being here. I would love it if you stayed. When you left earlier it was like...well, the world got darker. You just said that you didn’t want to go back to your place. Why don’t you take the bedroom and I'll sleep out here on the sofa. It looks comfortable enough for me.”

That brought an unexpected smile to her face. “Clark, I can't believe you suggested that.”

Her words didn't seem to match the pleasant expression she wore as she said them. He was suddenly afraid that his suggestion to stay seemed inappropriate. “I'm sorry. I didn't...”

She cut him off with a touch on his arm. “Relax, Clark, there's nothing wrong. It's just that I've spent a few nights in your bed with you on the couch. Mostly it's been after a stakeout when we've come back here to write up notes on the evening. The way you asked just now reminded me of the first time you made that suggestion. You were worried about offending me that time too.”

“So you'll stay?”

“There's no place I'd rather be.”

Another wave of warmth passed through him. Looking at her smile filled him with the courage to ask, “Lois, how can there be nothing more personal between us? Think about it. Yours is the only name that I remember! When I opened the door a little while ago it was... When I see you...well, like I said before, the whole world gets brighter.”

Her smile faded but Clark was relieved to see that it didn't completely disappear. “We are close. Except for once, you’ve never showed that you wanted more from our relationship. I told you about that when we were at the hospital. When you first started with the Planet there was one time that you seemed…interested. I was very direct in telling you that I…wasn’t.”

He felt like he had just been doused with ice water. “I don’t remember when it happened but I remember what you said at the hospital.”

“When I said that to you, it was your first week at work. I didn't know anything about you. Since then I've learned that you aren't like anyone else I've met in this business. But like I said, since we've gotten to know each other, you haven't shown any sign of wanting more than friendship.” Her voice had taken on an air of hesitancy. It was as if she was considering a new idea and wasn’t quite sure what she thought of it yet.

Clark shrugged in frustration at his missing memories. “From what you've said, I know that's true. Maybe after that one time I thought I’d better not let anything show again. In any case, it's great being around you and... I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I could tell from today how much I like working with you. While you were gone, I looked though some old photo albums and based on my reactions to the people in those pictures, I think you're the best friend I've ever had. I don't want to mess that up. I don't think I could handle it if you didn't want me around.”

That smile crept back to her face. “There’s not much chance of that. I think today proved that even with your memory gone, we make a great team. Whatever else happens, we're partners and I don't want to change that. As for the rest…” She took a deep breath and looked at him even more intently. “Clark, I don’t’ know. I like you but this is all so new to me. I don’t have a great history in relationships. You’ll need to give me some time to get used to the idea.”

The chance that she might be interested filled him with hope. “I can to do that. And honestly, I’m happy you haven’t told me to get lost. You are my best friend and this is a time when everyone needs their friends. I’ll do my best not to let…other factors…get in the way.”

They spent the remainder of the evening looking through the apartment. Lois told him whatever history she knew of his pictures and books. By the time Clark settled down on his sofa and tried to go to sleep, it seemed like things might just work out after all. That is, if they survived tomorrow night.

TBC

Bob