Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Nigel St. John stood quietly in front of the heavy mahogany desk in his employer’s private office. After a moment, Lex Luthor carefully folded the front section of the Daily Planet’s Thursday evening edition. He set it down with a soft rustle. The headline read ‘Garrison, Menken Arrested. Street Fight Cancelled.’ Lex leaned back in his leather chair and regarded Nigel with an unreadable expression.

“Yes, Nigel?”

“I’m sorry to report that there is no sign of Dr. Lane’s whereabouts.”

“Our regular police source has no word on him?’

“No, sir. He has not gone through the normal protective custody channels. I’m afraid he appears to be out of our reach for the time being. I will continue to pursue every available lead.”

“Of course you will. What about Max?”

“Mr. Menken was questioned at the 8th Precinct, then transferred to the county jail for detention.”

“I see. You will make sure that he hears from one of our representatives on the inside. Let us hope that his sense of self-preservation is strong enough to overcome his urge to spread the blame.” Lex let out a deep breath and turned a hopeful eye on Nigel. “Have you nothing but bad news for me tonight? Nothing to offer a pleasant distraction from this litany of depressing, if temporary, setbacks?”

“There is the matter of Ms. Lane’s new love interest,” Nigel offered uncertainly. He was relieved to see that Lex seemed pleased to have a new subject to take his mind off his current troubles.

“Ah, the dashing Mr. Knight. I notice he made a ‘special contribution’ to Ms. Lane’s article this evening. What news of him?”

“Only that he doesn’t appear to exist.”

“That *is* intriguing. Please elaborate.”

“There are four people in North America with that name. One is a kindergartener in Florida, another an octogenarian in Nebraska. The third is currently serving 15 years for armed robbery in Saskatchewan, and the fourth is a horse jockey in Kentucky. None of them could possibly be the young man who has been spotted in Ms. Lane’s company.”

“How interesting. What about the phone number from Ms. Lane’s message pad?”

“It belongs to a mobile phone with an officially unlisted number.”

“And the unofficial list says?”

“Norbert Enterprises, LLC. Their only other holding is a house on Hyperion Avenue, purchased two weeks ago. Shall I have it watched?”

“Not yet. Ms. Lane is aware of our previous surveillance attempts, if not their source; let us not arouse Mr. Knight’s suspicions unnecessarily. Have Ms. Wilcox keep an eye on them at the Planet for now.”

“As you wish.”

“Thank you, Nigel. That will be all.”

Sunday afternoon found Lois and Caleb heading south. He still hadn’t told her exactly what adventure he and his friend Ruben had cooked up. She knew she could get it out of him if she really wanted to, but he was having such fun surprising her, she let it slide.

“Perry is still after me for not putting your name on Thursday’s byline.” Flying with Caleb was still fun, but the solid bank of clouds that covered the Mid-Atlantic states made for dull viewing at the moment, so a conversation starter seemed in order.

He answered with a casual air. “You offered to; I turned it down. Besides, you did ninety percent of the writing.”

“I know, but we worked together on the investigation. I would have been happy to share the byline.”

“That’s very generous of you, but it’s really not necessary.”

“Perry’s going to wonder what kind of a reporter you are if you aren’t jumping at the chance to have your name on a Daily Planet front page story.”

“Perry’s going to wonder even more when I can’t come up with a Social Security number for the paycheck paperwork.”

“Ah. I guess they weren’t so picky about the red tape at those other papers you worked for .”

“Sold stories to, not worked for, and no, they weren’t.” He regarded her with a slightly worried look. “Lois, I hope you don’t have your heart set on us working together on a regular basis. I wasn’t kidding when I told you that I’m not a real reporter. I do have another job.”

“I know that.” She tried not to sound defensive. “But I thought you were ‘between assignments.’”

“I was. But I have some background research to do on a potential new project.”

Clark winced inwardly at his own evasiveness. He knew how he must sound to Lois—like he didn’t care enough or trust her enough to be completely honest with her. It wasn’t true. He loved her, more than he had known he could love anyone. He’d trust her with his life. And she’d demonstrated many times over that she could see the man under Superman’s suit. There was every reason to believe she’d see the man behind Clark’s playboy persona just as readily. She deserved to know the whole truth.

But he was scared. Not for himself—for her. He knew now what his next project would be. Lex Luthor was a menace who had to be taken down. At first he had thought that would mean working side-by-side with Lois until the job was done. But Allie Dinello’s murder had shaken him badly. Lois had been a witness. It was only by sheer luck that the driver hadn’t seen her. If she knew who Caleb really was and what he was up to, she’d want to be right there in the thick of it with him. But, unlike Clark, Lois was not invulnerable .

He knew he couldn’t keep Lois from doing her job, but there was no reason he had to put her in danger by embroiling her in his own investigation as well. It would be better if he dug around Metropolis’s illegal economy on his own. Then, when he had a good, solid lead that could bring Luthor to his knees, he’d confess everything and Lois could write the expose of the decade. He only hoped it would happen quickly. He didn’t know how much longer Lois would put up with his ‘inventing the new man’ routine .

For her part, Lois was wondering the same thing. How much longer was it going to take before Caleb got it through his thick skull that she loved him, no matter what clothes he was wearing? His evasive answer about researching a new project—it was a barrier between them. If he’d come clean with her, they could discuss his work openly. He could tell her about whatever his new book idea was and she could ask him about how the research was coming, what kinds of characters he was thinking of, what the setting and the plot arc would be. It was disconcerting to think of him having a career that they couldn’t talk about.

She was seriously considering broaching the subject with him when the cloud cover broke and they were suddenly over the blue waters of the Caribbean. She could see the islands below her and the Yucatan Peninsula ahead on her right.

“Beautiful,” she said. Caleb caught the wistfulness in her tone. He’d expected a little more enthusiasm.

“You’re not jaded already, are you? After one weekend in Borneo?”

“No,” she gave an apologetic smile. “Just distracted. Too many thoughts running around my head.”

Clark couldn’t help but worry that her troubled thoughts concerned the two of them. He turned his head to study her. “We’re okay, aren’t we ? You know I’ll still help out with a ‘special contribution’ whenever you need me to.”

“Yeah, I know. And I really do understand that you have your own job.” He could tell by her tone what the trouble was.

“You just wish I would tell you more about it.”

“Well, yeah.” For a moment she felt bad for bringing up the subject that they been avoiding for the last two weeks, but that only lasted an instant. “And, you know what? I shouldn’t need to apologize for wanting to know about your work life—your *whole* life. You know me well enough by now. You know I’m not some shallow Superman groupie or a snob who will look down on you for whatever it is you think you can’t tell me. Really, Caleb, what are you waiting for?” Clark’s conscience flinched. She had a point. She had no way of knowing that he was trying to protect her, not shut her out.

He stopped flying and turned her to face him, the two of them hanging suspended above the azure sea. Keeping one hand at her waist, he raised the other to brush the hair from her face. “I do know you. And I trust you with everything I have and everything I am. I’m going to tell you everything, I promise.”

His words were heartfelt, but at this point Lois was looking for actions. She raised one skeptical eyebrow. “But…?” It was a challenge.

Caleb’s pleading expression crumpled into defeat, but only for a moment. He quickly reminded himself why he was stalling . He could be as stubborn as she could. It was for her own good. Projecting as much love for her as he could, he told her, “But, I have some things that I have to work out first. It has nothing to do with trusting you or knowing that you accept me for who I really am.”

She rolled her eyes in frustration. “Of course I accept you. I *love* you. But how can I know who you really are if you insist on keeping secrets?” She was almost shouting, but it didn’t matter. There was no one around for miles.

“You do, Lois.” He kept his voice calm, not feeding her anger with argument, just trying to pour all the love he felt for her into his words, his voice, his touch, desperately hoping that would be enough for now. “You know me better than anyone. The stuff I can’t tell you yet is only about what I do. Who I am is an open book.” She was listening, weighing his words. He waited anxiously for her verdict. Slowly her face softened from righteous indignation into resigned acceptance. She looked like she might be willing to allow the delay—reluctantly, and probably not for long. “Please,” he pleaded, “just give me a few weeks to get some things in order. Then I’ll tell you everything. I swear.”

Her mouth twisted in a wry grimace. “All right. A few weeks. Tops. I can live with that.” At his relieved smile, she cautioned, “But I don’t have to like it.”

“I know. I don’t like it, either, but it can’t be helped.” She opened her mouth, and he hastily added, “For now.” He turned his most apologetic puppy dog eyes on her. “Forgive me? Pretty please?”

Pretending to think it over, Lois hemmed and hawed. “Maybe, if you’re very good to me.”

“Aren’t I always?” he cajoled. “Who else flies you off to tropical beaches any time you want? Who brings you Swiss chocolate or French cheese or authentic Shanghai cuisine at the drop of a hat?”

“I’ll bet you do that for all your fan girls,” she pouted, but the corners of her mouth were twitching.

“Oh, no. Not a chance. I only do that for Ace Reporters. And not even for all of them. Only for the beautiful, fiery, brilliant, stubborn one that I’m in love with.”

“Well, since you put it that way…” her smile spread slowly and her hands came up to trace a blazing trail across his ribs and up his chest before entwining themselves behind his neck. “I suppose you’ll have to make it up to me,” she ordered, her lips on his demonstrating what his penance was to be.

He could live with that. For as long as she liked.

“Uh, Caleb? Have you forgotten something?” The east coast of what Lois assumed must be Honduras was growing closer, but Caleb made no move to prepare for their usual rapid descent. “We’re coming in a little low and slow. We’re bound to be spotted.”

“Yep. That’s the plan. Oh, I should tell you, though. You’re not Lois Lane here.”

“Oh? Then who am I?”

“You’re Superman’s American friend. Pick any name you like. I suggest Linda. It means ‘pretty’ in Spanish.”

“No. Definitely not. I feel about Linda the way you feel about Charlie. I’ll take Susan. Now, what’s the deal?” Her narrowed eyes said she knew he was up to something. “You said we were coming for an adventure.”

“I didn’t say that—that was Ruben’s interpretation.” He was all innocence. “And I guess you could call 50 elementary school children an adventure.”

“Children?! That’s not such a good idea. Trust me on this one; kids and I do not mix.”

“Don’t worry. Their teachers will keep them in line. All we have to do is read to them.”

“Reading? That’s all?” That didn’t sound so terrible. Lois had been reading since she was four years old. “Why do you need me, then? Can’t Superman read by himself?”

“Sure he can, but it’s more fun when he has a pretty lady friend to do the English parts.”

“The English parts. Uh huh. I take that that Superman will be reading in Spanish.”

“Si,” he grinned. At her questioning look, he explained, “Ruben runs an after-school tutoring program at his church. The kids get homework help, a nutritious snack, a safe place to play soccer or tag with their friends. And—this is where you come in—English lessons. They just finished building a new addition to the church building with classrooms and a library and a new playground. Today is the dedication party. The kids worked hard—they’ve read 2000 books this quarter. So Ruben promised them a surprise guest reader. I brought down a case of books this week. The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Ferdinand the Bull, things like that. They have the stories in both Spanish and English. So Ruben thought it would be fun if you came to read the English parts. Actually, I think he just wanted an excuse to meet you.”

“Wait a minute. Superman flew a case of books down last week? How often does Superman visit these kids?”

“No, no. Miguel brought the books. They see him at church every once in a while. Kind of a big brother figure. I told you Ruben was my spiritual sounding board, remember?”

“Aha. Nice to meet you, Miguel.”

Caleb brought them in with a flourish. He held Lois slightly away from him, their clasped hands the only point of contact It was his aura that held her up, but it was a much more dignified way for her to arrive than cradled in his arms or held tightly at his side. He smiled and waved at the children. His cape billowed majestically behind him. Lois had to make do with her khaki walking shorts and turquoise safari shirt.

The children crowded around the caped hero. Even in this little town on the outskirts of Tegucigalpa, Superman was a household name. The children didn’t touch him. In fact, they left a buffer zone of about two feet around him and his companion. At first no one spoke, but soon the sea of children parted to let a man of about 45 pass through, his hand extended in greeting. “Superman, thank you for coming,” he said in accented but fluent English.

Caleb shook the man’s hand politely. “You must be Pastor Carrasco,” he said in what Lois had come to call his Distant Hero Voice.

“Please, call me Ruben.” Caleb hadn’t been kidding. Ruben’s face was scarred with pox marks, his nose was out of joint, his brown eyes were small and squinty—he really was one of the ugliest men that Lois had ever met. And then he smiled. Lois had heard all the platitudes about true beauty coming from the inside. Ruben made her believe them in a new way. Meanwhile, he was talking to her. “You must be…”

“Susan.” She returned his smile and held her hand out to shake his. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Won’t you both come inside? We’ve got a few stories picked out, and afterward we’ll have some refreshments.” Ruben then turned to the children and said something in Spanish, the result of which was a cacophony of high-pitched voices and a general scramble into the utilitarian cinder-block building which must be the church’s new wing.

Two hours later, Caleb and Lois—both in shorts and sandals now, not a red boot in sight—were sipping cold beer and downing mushroom and onion pizza in a cushioned booth when Ruben slid into the seat across the table from them.

“Hey! There you are,” Caleb greeted his friend. “All the kids home safe and sound, I assume?”

Ruben nodded a friendly greeting toward Lois before replying, “Safe, sound, full of sugar, and dying to show off their new books and tell all their friends and family about meeting Superman.” His easy grin turned to sincere gratitude when he said, “Thank you, Miguel. And I don’t mean just for the books. Thank you for the library and the classrooms. They will make our work much easier.”

“Who said anything about the library and classrooms? I thought those came from an anonymous donor.”

“So they did. Like I said, thank you.” He turned his warm smile on Lois. “And thank you, too, Susan.”

“You’re very welcome,” Lois said. “It was…an adventure.” Her smile assured both men that she had taken it with good humor. “And well worth it for a taste of this pizza. I can’t believe I’m not in New York City.”

“Miguel has a talent for finding good food in unexpected places,” Ruben said. He helped himself to a slice of pizza while Caleb filled Ruben’s glass from the pitcher of beer that sat on the table.

“So I’ve noticed,” Lois agreed. Watching Caleb and Ruben together, she got the feeling they the two men went way back. “How long have you known…” she trailed off. She assumed that Ruben knew that ‘Miguel’ and Superman were the same person, but she wasn’t going to be the first to say so out loud.

“Ruben’s known me since I was 18,” Caleb supplied. “I was…traveling around a lot, looking for adventure, but also thinking about some pretty troubling questions. Ruben helped me find some answers.”

“Don’t believe half of what he says. Mostly I just listened.” Ruben reached for another slice of pizza. “Miguel had the same questions every teenage boy has. Who am I? Why am I here? How will I know what to do when my parents aren’t around to guide me day-to-day? What do I really believe?”

“Where do I fit in?” Caleb added.

“Yes, that is a big one, for a lot of young people.”

The pizzeria wasn’t crowded, but Caleb lowered his voice nonetheless. “Ruben helps me remember that I’m not as different from everyone else as I sometimes feared. I grew up being taught that human beings are special, made in God’s image—that Jesus became a human man to make a way back to God for us. Then whammo! Right in the middle of adolescence I’m hit with the possibility that I’m not human at all. It really threw me for a loop.”

Lois had never thought about the spiritual implications of being an alien. She didn’t grow up in church and hadn’t thought very deeply about religion. And she certainly never thought of Caleb as an alien any more. But obviously it had been a big deal to Caleb at the time. “What did you come up with?” she asked.

“Well, after a lot of baleadas and Cokes, we pretty much decided that it didn’t matter whether I was biologically human or not. For one thing, adoption is a huge theme in the Bible, and I’d been adopted by my folks, so that made me part of the human family one way or the other. But mostly, we figured that the kind of God who would send his son to show people how to love one another wouldn’t turn his back on me because of an accident of birth. It seems silly to have even questioned it now, but at the time I was pretty anxious about it .”

Lois couldn’t even imagine the kind of crisis of faith that would cause a good Midwestern boy like Clark Kent to wander the globe looking for answers to such a basic question as ‘Does God love me, too?’

She reached for Caleb’s hand, but she looked at Ruben. “I’m so glad that he had a friend like you to stand by him,” she said.

Ruben smiled that glowing smile again. “I have a confession to make, Susan. I didn’t ask you down here just to read to a group of rowdy children. I wanted to meet the woman who is standing by my friend now. Miguel has always helped when and where he could. I’ve known that for a long time. But when he put on that suit and stepped into the spotlight, he took on an entirely new level of responsibility. It eases my mind to know that he is not alone.”

Something had been bothering Lois during this entire conversation. “Ruben, I have a confession of my own. My name isn’t really Susan.”

She got no farther before Ruben smiled knowingly. “I know that, just like I know that his parents never named him Miguel. But it doesn’t matter. I know who he is in his heart, and the fact that you are here with him tells me a lot about who you are in yours. For me, that is enough.”

This *is* my happily ever after.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
bump smile

This *is* my happily ever after.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard