Thanks to everyone reading so far.
Here's part 7. I hope you enjoy.
AnnaBtG.

TOC here

From Part 6:

“I’d better not ask much, huh?” he said, jokingly.

“No,” she timidly said, “but there’s really not much to tell. Still, you can ask anything you want.”

“Can I?” He was surprised.

“Yes,” she said. And then, with a more serious expression, she added: “I trust you.”

“I’m glad,” he said with a smile.

“Do you trust me?”

Part 7:

Clark stared at her for a second. Yes, this woman was extraordinary, in a good way.

But now she was asking if he trusted her…

This was a tough question. Clark had never really trusted anyone, except for his parents. And the reason to this was simple: his big secret.

If he wanted to completely trust her, he would have to tell her about his special abilities, tell her that he was an alien, and trust her not to tell anyone.

Could he do it?

<Not yet,> he thought.

If they became friends, close friends… he could let her know. He’d then have no reason to be hiding anything from her. Who knows, her help could even come in handy.

But, at the moment, he had to give her an answer.

“I guess,” he finally said.

Lois looked disappointed.

“Don’t take this the wrong way,” he reassured her. “I haven’t known you for a long time… But I really think I could trust you, and that we could become friends sometime.”

“Good.” She smiled.

Then, after a crash, the elevator began to move again.

“At last!” Lois exclaimed.

They both rose, Lois using Clark’s helping hand.

Seconds later, they exit the Daily Planet building.

“I go this way, and you, that way?” Clark proposed, pointing to the left, then to the right.

“Okay,” Lois agreed.

“Meet you here, in…” He raised his eyebrows in question.

“How’s two hours?”

“Fine, I guess. I’ll see you, then.”

“See ya.”

Each one followed their way, more thinking than researching.

-----

Lois was walking with her eyes staring blankly at the sidewalk, rather troubled and disappointed. Her mind was tuned into a hopeless Loisy babble mode.

<He doesn’t trust me. That’s bad. If I want things to work out, he’ll have to… Wait! ‘Things to work out’? What kind of things? And what kind of working out? No, no, no. I’m not getting into such a loop. I need to calm down and decide what I’m gonna do. We’re partners at the moment. That’s good. He said he could trust me. That’s also good. Once he sees he can trust me, he’ll be my friend.>

<<Your friend or your *boyfriend*?>> her conscience ironically asked.

<No, no, no, no boyfriend stuff. I just want him as a friend. A good friend. That’s it.>

<<Don’t lie to yourself! You know it!>>

<If I were in love… Oh God, what am I thinking?>

<<You’ve fallen in love, and this is only natural. Now all you have to do is to make the first step, and then everything will work out on its own.>>

<No way! What do you mean, ‘the first step’? I don’t want to get involved in such a thing!>

Lois took a deep breath and tried to work the previous events in her mind more logically and less emotionally.

She had wanted to react naturally, as she had promised herself, and she’d managed to do it. Even when she had let her hormones guide her, it was natural.

But this ‘natural’ was more intimate this time than before.

Intimate, and awkward… too awkward. And scary, too… and beautiful.

<<Open your eyes, Lois! It’s all because you love him.>>

Lois suddenly stopped walking, wondering if that could be true.

<<You love him, don’t be afraid to admit it. Remember that book you read? It’s all the same. You’re just so afraid to see it, but the harder you try to hide it, the more you realize you love him. And if you only look at him for a second you’ll find that he loves you too.>>

Lois bit her lip. Listening to herself finally admitting all these things was weird and nice at the same time.

<As if I hadn’t thought I was in love before…> a bitter thought crossed her mind. <I’ve had enough of men, anyway.>

She shook her head, and tried not to think about men, love, Clark Kent or anything else.

<Let’s get a story,> she thought, turning her mood and her five senses in reporter-mode.

-----

After Clark had left Lois go her way, he had also been wandering around oblivious to his surroundings, thinking about the previous events.

<She wants me to trust her… How can I trust her? I’m preparing this alter ego thing… What if she finds out?>

<<Having a secret ego is not gonna be easy…>>

<Yeah, but it’s a risk I must take. I have the right to have a normal life, after all. Have friends, a job, a family…>

<<With Lois?>>

He stopped walking, and the man walking behind him nearly fell on him.

<<You know you love her.>>

He hadn’t admitted it to everyone, not even to himself. Why? He wasn’t sure what his feelings were, more likely. But he had known from the very first moment that there was something special about her. It was probably what they call ‘chemistry’. Or ‘love at first sight’. Seeing her for the first time, and feeling that she’s the only one for you.

<What should I do to find out what she’s feeling for me?>

Oh, didn’t you write that article about ‘The Wall Between Us’?>> his conscience sarcastically commented. <<Just do what you told everyone to do.>>

<I can’t! I don’t know what to tell her!>

<<It’ll come out naturally.>>

<Oh, thanks for the comfort!>

<<This is the way it’s going to be. There is no need to prepare speeches or anything. Let your feelings guide you.>>

Clark shook his head. <Okay, I’ll see.>

He tried to decide what to do. Taking Lois out for lunch was one thing. But telling her he was in love with her… well, was another, much more difficult one. How could he ever do it?

Confused, he forced himself not to think about these things. <I’m supposed to find a story, and not wander around like a fool.>

So, he set his senses on alert, looking for anything interesting.

-----

A couple of hours later, Lois and Clark met outside the Daily Planet.

“Anything interesting?” Lois asked.

“No… nothing.”

“Nothing too.” She paused for a second. “I’m hungry. How about going somewhere and have a sandwich or something?”

“Okay.”

“There’s a fine place nearby we could go.”

“Whatever you say. I don’t know any places around anyway.”

“Okay. Follow me.”

To his surprise, she took his hand, almost dragging him. He was just walking behind her, watching her hurrying steps. Was she really that hungry?

<<This is your chance!>> his conscience said, thrilled.

<I’m not ready yet.>

<<You don’t have to be ready! Let your feelings guide you!>>

<Okay, okay… I’ll see.>

He turned all of his attention to Lois, curious to see what she was up to. All this running couldn’t be for good.
Or could it?

-----

<<Now, why are you in such a hurry?>> Lois’s inner voice asked her.

<I’m going to take the first step.>

<<Okay, but you don’t have to be in such a rush!>>

<I want to do it before I regret it. I promised myself I’ll act naturally, and this is what my nature is telling me to do.>

She nervously squeezed Clark’s hand and hurried even more.

-----

Minutes later, Lois and Clark were sitting at a table in a little fast food, facing each other.

“How do you like this place?” she asked him.

“It looks… fine. Warm.”

“It reminds me of you.”

“Why?”

She gave him a timid smile. “It’s… what you said. Warm.”

“You think I’m… warm?” he smiled back at her, somewhat puzzled.

“Yes…” she said, not staring at him. How could he make her feel so shy? “You remind me of warmness…” she continued. “You are gentle, simple, caring…”

She looked up at him, and found he was at a loss.

<Hmm… At least he didn’t blush this time.>

-----

Clark was indeed at a loss. He didn’t know what to say, because, once again, he didn’t have a clue of what she meant.

<Is she doing it on purpose? Why doesn’t she speak clearly? What does she want me to say?>

<<Anything! Just talk!>>

“You think I am?” he sheepishly asked.

<<Oh, boy, you’re not one to be left alone.>>

<Shhh! I want to hear her answer!>

“Yes,” Lois finally replied, with a pleasant smile. “You’ve been very kind to me, and I think you are a very good man.”

Clark looked at his hands, avoiding her gaze.

“Hey! You blushed again!” she exclaimed.

He lowered his head a little more, feeling his cheeks hot. “Did I?”

“Yes, and now you’ve blushed even more! Oh my God!” She burst out laughing.

“Why are you laughing?” he asked, unsure of what to think.

“It’s just…” She took a deep breath and tried to explain, but the waitress’s voice interrupted her.

“What would you like to have?” she asked.

Lois suddenly got serious. She obviously didn’t want the waitress to think she was a fool or something.

“Are turkey sandwiches okay, Clark?”

“Yes, they’re fine.”

“How many?”

“Oh, just one.”

“Okay. Two turkey sandwiches, please,” he turned to the waitress.

“They’ll be right up,” she replied, noting the order in her block and leaving.

“So, why were you laughing before?” he asked her, when they were alone again.

“It’s just… You look so funny when you blush,” she said, with a big grin. “Like a little innocent boy. And the funniest thing about it is that it suits you.”

He felt his cheeks blushing again.

“You’re doing it again!” she laughed.

“Am I?” he could only say in a low voice, wishing he could become invisible.

“Yes.” She stopped laughing and leaned on the table. “How old are you?”

“Twenty seven.”

“You have to stop it,” she said. “It’s not good for a man your age. Many people will compliment you, and you can’t be blushing every time it happens.”

“I…” He gulped. “It doesn’t happen every time.”

“No?” she asked, incredulously.

“No. I never blush.”

“That’s a lie. I’ve seen you blushing a zillion times.”

“I guess it only works with you.”

-----

She stared at him, smiling. He had just told her she was the only one who could make him blush. Wasn’t it good? Didn’t it mean something?

<<Go for it, Lois!>>

<No.>

<<Why not?>>

<I don’t know what to say.>

<<Just say something!>>

What could she say? She could do nothing but keep staring at him.

Luckily, right at that time the waitress came with their sandwiches.

<I have to give her a large tip,> she thought, taking one of the sandwiches and starting eating it. Clark did the same.

“Nice sandwiches,” he said, after the first bite.

“I told you,” she simply replied and went back to eating.

<<Some first step you did,>> the voice mocked her.

<I had begun to!> she mentally protested. <But he caught me off guard with that.>

<<What he said was not a first step.>>

<Okay, it was half a first step. But it still caught me off guard.>

<<Maybe, but it’s your turn now. Go for it! You know what to do.>>

“Why did you say I’m the only one that can make you blush?” she asked after a few moments.

“Because it’s true,” he said, his voice expressionless.

“And why am I the only one?”

He stared at her. “I don’t know.”

-----

<<You liar!>> his inner voice was screaming. <<You know why! You *know* why! Tell her! Tell her you are in love with her!>>

<No!>

“How come you don’t know?” he heard her asking in a wry tone.

He tried to think of an answer, but couldn’t find anything to say.

“I don’t know…” he finally said, swallowing the last bite of his sandwich. “When I see you looking at me that way…”

“What way?”

“This congratulating way.”

“Yes, what happens then?”

“I don’t know, you make me feel like I did something special. You make me feel special.”

“You *are* special,” she said, pushing aside her sandwich and the plate and leaning over the table closer to him.

-----

Lois could feel her heart jump. This had come out naturally, and was clearly expressing what her feelings were right now. It was easier than she had thought it would be, and it felt good.

She stared at his surprised face, and, for the second time in a day, she wished she knew what he was thinking.

She saw him gazing straight into her eyes, afraid to speak.

“You are special to me,” she said, covering his hands with hers.

-----

Now their faces were close, only inches apart. Clark was not afraid anymore. There was no reason to be afraid of something that felt so right.

“I hoped I would be,” he smoothly said. “And I’m glad I am.”

She brushed his lips against his. “You are so different…” she murmured.

“Am I?”

“Yes. Different from anyone I’ve met so far. And exactly what I was looking for.”

He kissed her. “You’re what I was looking for, too,” he said, giving her a smile.

She tried to give him another, more passionate kiss, but she hit her belly on the edge of the table. “This is not so comfortable, is it?” she laughed.

“No, absolutely not.”

They both rose, and Clark put his hand in his pocket to find his wallet.

“No!” Lois exclaimed. “My treat.”

“Oh, come on, Lois…”

“No, it’s *my* treat,” she insisted. “*I* brought you here. Besides, I have some things to arrange with the waitress.”

Clark thought he’d better let her pay, if she wanted it so badly. “Okay, then.”

Lois grabbed the bill. Three bucks. She let five on the table.

<She’s the only waitress I know that has a good timing when interrupting a conversation,> Lois thought, hiding a grin. “Come on, farmboy” she wryly said to Clark, “let’s go.”

He grinned. “Where?”

She grabbed his hand and winked to him. “Anywhere.”

She happily waltzed to the door, and he followed her in genuine pleasure.

-End of part 7-

What we've got here is failure to communicate...