Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feedback here. smile1

Merry Christmas, Elisabeth.
I hope this doesn't disappoint.
I started out in a very different direction but this was that story that demanded to be written. smile

Bob

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great story! I also thought Lois showed too much in that episode. I don't think I've ever seen a story where Sam and Ellen not only noticed, but tried to do something about it.

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh this was fantastic! I also agree that Sam and Ellen would have had to have been MORONS not to see the chemistry between Lois and Superman. Fantastic little ficcie here and I absolutely adored it!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois isn’t even married yet and she's already half-way to an affair with Superman.
Yeah... But on the plus side, she won’t be starting to sleep with Superman until her honeymoon.

For that matter, I'd like to see the look on his face if he came in and saw his fiancée asleep on top of Superman.
“Not again! I really need to stop sleeping in my Superman-pajamas.”

They seemed to be taking his illness personally.
Of course. Especially Martha. After all the work she put into the Christmas Dinner, and Clark gets sick from it clap

Ellen paused for a moment as if looking for the right words. “Are you in love with Superman?”

A note of panic entered Lois's eyes but it only took her a second to recover. “Mom, how can you ask that? I love Clark.”
That wasn’t the question, young lady.

Lois, if you have a relationship with Superman, that's your business, but based on what we saw—what we all saw—we don’t think you’re ready to marry anyone.
“So, we’re supposed to just live together?”

“Dr. Lane, I assure you that there is nothing about my relationship with Lois that can possibly harm her marriage to Clark.”
Yeah...? Let’s talk again in about a year from now. Say, when they make headlines on the Dirt Digger?

Will you swear to answer two questions truthfully?
“Umm…Yes?”
[Linked Image]

“Are you in love with my daughter?” The question was an accusation.

Clark looked at Lois. He delivered his reply with his gaze locked on Lois. “Yes.”

Sam's only reaction was a tiny nod. “Good. So at least you can keep your word about answering honestly.”

Clark looked back at Sam. “Dr. Lane, I always keep my word. Especially for something like this...and to you.”

“Lois is about to get married. Will you promise to end whatever relationship you two have and keep your distance?”
“No.”

I do admit, I didn’t see the revelation coming. But I didn’t really try to figure out a solution during the ride blush

Bob that was a really sweet twist on the episode’s aftermath! clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
clap

I, also, thought at the time that Lois was *way* too affectionate for her parents not to notice.

This was so much fun to read. Although the story as a whole was quite funny, it was also sad and touching to see Ellen's reaction to her daughter's (supposed) infidelity and her concern for both her daughter and future son-in-law.

Very well done!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really good concept! Loved it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just great. I never heard anyone deal with the close relationship Lois and Superman had before. Very good story. And who knew checkers was so intellectual?
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If she heard, it didn't show, as her rant—as well as her arm flailing—continued. “At least you waited until we were married for a few years before...your interests started to wonder. Lois isn’t even married yet and she's already half-way to an affair with Superman.”
LOL. Poor Ellen.

... For that matter, I'd like to see the look on his face if he came in and saw his fiancée asleep on top of Superman.”
Well, that probably would have been a pretty big shock to Lois, too, huh?

Jonathan wasn't sure what to do. He should have paid more attention to how Lois was acting while she was so worried about Clark. The little detail that Clark was in the suit had been completely lost because Jonathan was worried about his boy. In hindsight, it was easy to see from the way Lois had acted that she was in love with the man in the suit. Jonathan could play dumb, but that didn't seem like the best thing to do. For now the best course of action would be to play along. “Sam, you're right. That didn't look good. But I know Lois loves my boy so I guess I didn't think much about her behavior. I'll need to talk with Martha, but we'll stand with you when you talk to Lois.”
Well, the truth might work...

Clark had another errand that he just remembered and figured he can contact Superman while he's out and ask him to drop by.”
Gotta love those errands.

“Don’t start…projecting your own history onto me!”
You tell 'em, Lois!

The only thing he could tell for sure was that this was a mess.
A mess... Yep, Clark, you do have a propensity for understating things.

“You see, I am Clark.”
AhHa! The truth it is.

Superman was really just Clark Kent in bright clothes,
rotflol

“Are you and Jonathan...super too?”
In all my years of watching the show and reading fics, the idea that someone might think Jonathan and Martha were super never occurred to me. Brava!

Wow! Elisabeth got lots of hugs! And for the second year in a row, your Christmas ficathon fic had Ellen and Sam finding out the truth. What will you do next year? laugh

I always thought that Sam must have figured out that Clark was Superman, but then thought it was just too outrageous to be true and so he buried it away in his mind. And I never thought that Ellen was even ever in the bedroom to make the connection between the two or was just too flighty. (I suppose I underestimate Ellen.)

Great story!!!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Lovely story, Bob.

It had never occurred to me that Lois was way too open with her feelings for Superman in front of her parents.

I love the conclusion drawn by Ellen and the way she confronted Sam.

The fact they managed to work together on this 'problem' bodes will for future family Christmases.

I wasn't sure you would solve it with a revelation, but I don't think any other ending would have done the fic justice.

And I loved Clark's straightforward response.

Great story, Bob.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is a good fic and a great title. As the daughter of philanderer Sam Lane Lois might be a philanderer too, right? Well, not if Ellen Lane has anyting to say about it!

But "honest Superman" reared his very attractive head for the second time in a ficathon-row! I like him, and I like this! clap

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done, very well done. clap clap

Framework4
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Have I ever mentioned how much I love stories that start with a false premise and move from there?

I like the plan that they come up with, particularly that they decide to have Ellen speak to Martha and Sam speak to Jonathan.

The checkers approach is also a wise one for Sam. While I'm not a true expert on men, it seems to me that males open up more when you're doing things with them (either working or some other activity) then if you're just sitting at the table sipping coffee.

In a flash of insight, she suddenly had a much better appreciation of the tightrope that Clark had walked in keeping the secret.
It's not easy to walk in his shoes but there's a lot of insight that comes from the glimpses she gets of what it's really like.

Nice revelation! This was a beautiful Christmas present.

Elisabeth

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all for the kind feedback.

lcfan99:
You said:
I don't think I've ever seen a story where Sam and Ellen not only noticed, but tried to do something about it.
I have to give due credit because I did have an inspiration for this piece. I love Caroline's Extraordinary and it heavily influenced this work. I went a very different direction but here Sam noticed.

bellarata:
Thank you. You can't imagine how nervous I was about this story.

Michael:
You said:
But on the plus side, she won’t be starting to sleep with Superman until her honeymoon.
Now I wish I would have thought to give Ellen a line like that. lol
“Mom, how can you ask that? I love Clark.”

That wasn’t the question, young lady.
This is Lois telling "Clark truth."

Vicki:
Thank you. With the background between Ellen and Sam, given that she was present for Lois's display of affection, I thought she would be the most likely to step in and try to do something about it. The started out as a pure-humor piece but I quickly realized that there was no way to do that without beating up Ellen.

Laura:
Thank you. As I said above, I was nervous about this one.

Artemis:
I don't know what made me think of Checkers. All I really know about the game is that if I play by the real rules against someone that knows what they are doing, I can never manage to win. I thought it would be fun to have Sam be better than Jonathan.

Classicalla:
Thanks for the notes:
You said:
And for the second year in a row, your Christmas ficathon fic had Ellen and Sam finding out the truth.
I was wondering if anyone would notice. However, I figured that if anyone did, it would be you. I guess I have a weakness for Clark being honest with those that are close to him. I think Lois's family deserves to know.

Corrina:
Thanks.
And I loved Clark's straightforward response.
There is a time to step up and face the music. Too much was at risk here to do the usual Clark-evasion.

Ann:
You said:
This is a good fic and a great title
Thank you so much. I was uncertain about the title but now I feel more confident.

And I like honest-Superman too. He has a habit of showing up a lot in my stories.

Framework4:
Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

Elisabeth:
I'm SO happy that you enjoyed it. It was my pleasure to try to meet your request this year.

You said:
Have I ever mentioned how much I love stories that start with a false premise and move from there?
I love to point out that "Logic is a way to go wrong with confidence." Sometimes, as was the case here, all it takes is to be missing one critical piece of information and you will end up with a completely wrong conclusion despite the fact that your reasoning, based on the evidence you have, is sound.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was wondering if anyone would notice. However, I figured that if anyone did, it would be you.
Well, considering the fic you wrote last year was for me, it was kind of easy. laugh

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
This was great! It never occurred to me that Lois was way too friendly with Superman in HIWTHI. Now I'll always think of this story when I see that episode.

Very nicely done! thumbsup

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Merriwether
Merriwether
Bob, this was a wonderful story. Ellen and Sam's conclusion turned out to be wrong, but that wasn't their fault -- Lois showed her true feelings with Clark while he was sick (as she should have; can you imagine how she'd have felt if she'd hidden her feelings and he'd not made it?), and her parents would have had to have been blind to have not noticed.

I love the way you portrayed Ellen and Sam's concern and their decision to confront Lois. Their mistake could have been played for laughs or to make them look foolish, but you didn't do that. You showed their love and concern, not just for Lois, but for Clark, as well. They are good, kind people, even if they learned those lessons too late in their own marriage. And as a result of them learning those lessons now, I can totally see this Ellen and Sam reuniting in S4. smile

Really enjoyable, all the way around. Great job! thumbsup

Kathy

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Classicalla:
You said:
Well, considering the fic you wrote last year was for me, it was kind of easy. laugh
smile1 Exactly. smile1

Sue:
Thank you. As I said above, I have to credit Caroline's Extraordinary for much of my inspiration for this.

Kathy:
You said:
Their mistake could have been played for laughs or to make them look foolish, but you didn't do that.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I had originally planned to do exactly that. However, when I started to frame the story, I found that I couldn't do that to them and the story changed. I'm so pleased that the new direction worked so well.

Bob

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well done, Bob. A terrific story. You treated everyone with respect so that, by the end of the story, Sam and Ellen deserved to know the truth. Jonathan, Martha, and Lois all did a great job of protecting Clark, but I was glad to see Clark come clean. Nothing else would have satisfied.

This *is* my happily ever after.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Bob - I loved this story. I've always thought Lois' behavior during that episode would have seemed over the top to the Lanes. I also think it was quite realistic - Lois isn't going to be thinking about curtailing her emotions when the man she loves is dying.

I've never really thought much of what the Lanes would think, though. When I did, I always assumed that they had figured out that Superman was Clark (since I also thought they would have found it odd that the Kents were there, but Clark was missing the entire time). I like this better though. It makes complete sense that Ellen would think of an affair, and I loved the show of her being a good enough mother to confront Lois over it.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
HappyGirl:
Thank you. When I watched the episode I was impressed with how both of Lois's parents settled down and put their differences aside when Clark got sick. They deserved to be told.

anonpip:
From the first time I saw this episode, I have thought that the when you put the pieces together:
1. Superman is at Clark's apartment.
2. Lois is *so* concerned.
3. Martha and Jonathan are also upset.
4. Clark is missing.
There is only one possible answer. If we don't go with the obvious one, well, there you go. smile I figured Sam would have been too focused on Superman's medical condition to think about the implications of Lois's behavior, but Ellen was there. Because of her background, she found an explanation that fit. I figured she would want to help even if it meant interfering.

Thanks for reading.
Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard