I usually try to write one story a year, and this is my effort for 2003. It is the PG-13 version of a story I posted on the NFic boards in September. Aside from the obvious ones, I have made some changes in other details. The genesis of the story is as follows.

Every once in a while someone on the Lois and Clark board asks the question, "What movies would you like to see Teri and Dean in if they were remade today?" What they really mean, I think, is, “In what movie would you like to see the Lois and Clark personas as created by Teri and Dean?” I always come back to the same answer when I think about it, so I don't reply to those posts anymore. But I started thinking, I'll never get to see them in that movie, but what if I wrote a variation of it as though it were a Lois and Clark episode. And that's what this is. If you are a lover of classic Hollywood films, you'll probably recognize it pretty quickly. There are a multitude of differences between my story and the film, and I would be very interested if anyone would want to do a comparative analysis between the two.

I will, of course, give proper credit where credit is due in my endnotes. I don't know if anyone's ever done this before, and I certainly am not trying to plagiarize anything. I was just interested in seeing how it would play out. It's an Elseworld story (I think. I’m never quite sure about the category definitions) so events and characters are not necessarily in sync with the LAC: TNAOS timeline.

Those who want to play the game and try to guess what film is the inspiration for the story, or who do not need to know the truth of the story, and who prefer to read without foreknowledge should go now to Part One. For those who need to know, the following is a

SPOILER

Lois Lane is not dead. The name of the film is Laura, a 1944 Twentieth Century Fox black and white film starring Gene Tierney Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price and Dame Judith Anderson. It’s available at any video store that has a selection of Classic Hollywood films.

Hope you enjoy my story!!

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell