Comments?

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
oooh - so this is getting juicy!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark looked doubtful. “Mom, I don’t know. Somehow I don’t think diving gear would work correctly out in space.”
You know, I forgot to ask you during the beta - would diving gear work correctly out in space?

Note to posters: the fic continues to get better in part four. (Just to whet your appetites.)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It gets better? Hey, I think it's pretty good now!

Unmodified scuba gear won't work in space. The regulator works with the surrounding water pressure to control the flow of air from the tank to the diver. Here\'s a page which explains how a regulator works far better than I could.

Luthor took an awful risk here. If the timing was off on the gas release - and apparently it was - then it's likely that the ship won't hit Nightfall exactly at the desired impact point. That means that there's still a chance for a large fragment to be aimed at Metropolis or Gotham City or Central City or Chicago or East Peoria. At any rate, his own empire is at risk, and maybe his life, even if he's got that underground Ark ready. And if Superman survives - which, of course, he will - then Luthor has made an overt attempt on his life, and that is legally actionable. Lex is going to go devilsplat both personally and professionally!

Will he make it back to crash in Suicide Slum? What will Lois do? How will she help him? And how far will she go to help?

I never liked the original "smack the asteroid at top speed" plan either. It was some lazy writer's way of generating dramatic tension. And when Superman pushed the fragment away from the Earth, it made me wonder why he didn't just push Nightfall around the planet. Surely he could have altered its course to drop it into the Sun? That wouldn't have made any impact on old Sol, either.

Looking for the next chapter!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just a quick fly-by.

Hi sarahg
Thank you. I hope it continues to be fun.

Iolanthe:
You did ask that but as I point out below, I wasn't able to find the technical explanation.
As for this:
the fic continues to get better in part four.
blush No pressure.

Hi Terry,
I'm glad you stopped by. Thanks for the link on scuba gear. I was 95% sure that it wouldn't work, but I couldn't find the explanation for Iolanthe.

Any for this:
Luthor took an awful risk here.
Um... peep peep I admit my guilt and throw myself on the mercy of the court. My reasoning, such as it was, was that the opportunity fell in his lap and he acted. Then, being Lex, he couldn't simply kill Superman without monologuing.

Thanks all. Now I need to get back to Ch 4. Despite Iolanthe's confidence, it still needs a bit more work.

Bob

Merriwether
Merriwether
Yikes, yikes, yikes! Jonathan must have had a sixth sense to encourage Clark to take the back-up air system. How fortunate that Clark listened!

I'm with Terry that Luthor took a huge risk. Not in trying to kill Superman -- it seems like a pretty big opportunity, and Lex always plans well -- but with the timing. Lex, you dolt, you set of the K gas after he's destroyed the asteroid, not before it. I'm sure he has his "ark" ready to go, but really, does he want to rule over a destroyed planet or the one he lives in now? I think (hope) he will go out realizing that he signed his own death warrant by his stupidity.

Can't wait for more!

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Then, being Lex, he couldn't simply kill Superman without monologuing.
This is so in-character for Lex!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another excellent chapter, can't wait for Chapter 4 to find out what happens next!

Cheers
Elizabeth

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bob, I was thinking about mentioning it in part 2's FDK but figured it was too far off. Anyway, when the whole breathing equipment stuff came up and all the military, I wondered if they where going to green-K him. Then there was the bank-incident, and things got even more dangerous. And viola, there you are.

Great twist, making things go completely to hell in a hand basket. One question, though: Why isn't Clark more vulnerable now that he's gotten exposed? He is not wearing a spacesuit or anything, is he?

Looking forward to part 4 and Clark meteoring to Earth.
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Kathy:
Clark was the first one to realize that the air supply was the weak point. I wonder if precognition is part of Kryptonian telepathy. Hmm... :rolleyes:

As for when to trigger the attack on Superman, if I were planning a strike against Superman, I might be tempted to time the strike so that it triggered while he was still flying away from the Earth. Thanks to the EPRAD planners, we have this handy system that will send a signal exactly when Superman was no longer necessary but still out-bound. Very tempting to leverage off of that.

Iolanthe:
Yes, Lex had to monologue. It's funny, I just re-read Part 1 of Sue's "Ricochet" and I love when future-Lois cut's off his little speech. Yes, Lex loves to the sound of his voice and believes everyone else does too. smile1 I hope to keep posting chapters through the holidays. There could be a delay to work on something for the ficathon, but I'll do my best to keep the story moving.

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard