Bob

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
hyper

Cheers
Elizabeth

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay! They ARE on Earth! I figured they would be, but I also wondered if you were trying to throw us off track!

She could still see the empty bed – sheets ruffled, pillow askew.
mecry

How horrible it must have been to find that your child just disappeared. I'm surprised that Kip didn't leave them some type of message at least explaining what happened and telling them that he would take care of the child. They would not have spoken the same language, but the globe has a translation feature. These two people loved this child as their own and he was taken from them without a word. I know it was supposed to be for the good of New Krypton, but still......

Wanted to feast her eyes on what her heart had already savoured.

Clark’s assertive edge melted under the sunshine of her approval.

...looking like two dazed survivors in the midst of the aftermath of a blizzard
Great descriptions!

And as far as the time goes, Kal was the Supreme Ruler of NK for 10 years. He's been away from Earth for 12 years. So, given travel time, the time difference can't be too much. If Lois was on NK for a few weeks, she's probably been away from Earth for no more than a month and half or so....

Great story! I'm so happy to get another part so soon, but I don't want the story to end! laugh

Perry: (To Lois) Honey, this could be greatest story since Superman came to town. By-the-by, where is that husband of yours?
--Faster Than a Speeding Vixon
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You had me bawling! clap notworthy

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Wow! This part was wonderful and beautiful and so powerful. I really do not want this story to ever end.

I love how Kal/Clark just knew which way to go when they landed. Poor Martha and Jonathan to not know what happened to their son. I wonder what they told people?

Next part soon please.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
Top Banana
Top Banana
Confession time: I read this when it first popped up last night, but I didn't leave feedback because I felt so incoherent. This was all I could come up with:

clap clap clap clap

Thought I might be thinking straighter this morning, but nope. Okay, how about this:

notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Merriwether
Merriwether
This is amazing and wonderful and heartbreaking and joyful, all at once. I could say I loved this chapter, but it would be a huge understatement.

I'm horrified that Kip just kidnapped him in the middle of the night. I'm sure he didn't think he was doing anything wrong; it was imperative to him that Kal return to NK and the rest was incidental. But Clark clearly wouldn't have gone willingly. He had no memory of this man or of his people, and while he was probably very curious about his origins (especially if his powers had started to manifest, making it obvious he was different), he would never have entered a space ship with a stranger if he'd known it was going to take him away forever.

The poor kid was probably terrified and inconsolable. And I bet Tek's little blue pills, the ones he offered to Kal and Lois to help them sleep and forget the trip, came in mighty handy to Kip. He probably drugged Clark either before or during, and took him that way. No wonder Kal had such a strong negative reaction to Tek offering the pills! He might not have a conscious memory of them, but deep inside, he knew they'd done something horrible to him. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Nor did Clark a favor by giving him the Reset. Talk about a traumatizing experience. Maybe there are some memories that shouldn't come back ...

The whole chapter was fabulous, from the awkward conversations that they had with Martha and Jonathan, to Lois realizing immediately that they were in the Midwest somewhere, to Kal saying that he wants to be Clark Kent again. So much packed in here.

But I think my absolute favorite scene was when Kal set his plate on his lap and looked around for a stick to eat it with. And then ... THEN ... he shared it with Lois, using the same fork. I pretty much melted into a puddle of goo right there. He may have started out as Clark, but he's Kal, too, and will always be a combination of the two, from now on. And just as he taught Lois about New Krypton, she'll be able to teach him about Earth.

Corrina, I can't say enough about this story ... it keeps getting better and better, even as we head towards the end.

More, please. I'm ready any time. smile

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
help dizzy

Martha gave a weak, watery chuckle. “May I ask my daughter-in-law a question?”

Kal took the hand of his wife. “Yes.”

“Are you ... from Clark’s planet?”
No, I'm a native.

Lois laughed, as she too dried her tears. “No,” she said. “No, I’m a local.”
laugh

“Of course,” Martha said. She moved to the bed and brushed her hand across the covers. “This bed is really too small for two people,” she said. “Would you be more comfortable in the spare room? The bed there is bigger.”

“No,” Kal said quickly. “I want to stay here.” He shrugged, hoping she would understand. “It may help me remember something.”
So, that's code for 'I really like sleeping in a small bed with my wife and hope you don't mind if we break it'?

“Where will we put it?”

“In the barn, next to the other one.”
laugh By now that barn must look like the warehouse on Bessolo Boulevard.

Her hand had drifted lower ... inside his shirt ... exploring his chest, and everything except being with his wife faded to insignificance. Kal leant forward and took her mouth with burning intent.

She broke away, and laughed at his breathlessness. “Shower first,” she told him.
Yeah, they are probably a bit ripe by now laugh
And she probably needs to show him how the shower works. And how a concubine takes care of her master in the shower blush

“Together?”

She grinned. “Absolutely.”
Kal! That boy sure learned quickly.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Can I ditto some of the other feedback? The reunion was full of WaFFy goodness. Loved that they were running by the time Martha saw them and that she knew instantly that it was Clark.

It surprised me a little that Kip would kidnap Clark, but the other FoLCs filled in the blanks. blush I suppose that his attachment to his earthly family wouldn't compute to Kip, either, unless he explained that he had great care for his parents.

I hope that Clark's globe somehow returned to earth and that he'll find it in the barn with his first ship. Maybe that'll give him the key to remembering his life on earth.

Michael said:
Given that the brain stores memories by linking synapses (IIRC), once the drug breaks those links, the memories are gone and not even super-healing can bring them back
I don't know if that'll be the case this time, since Clark has already proven that Reset doesn't completely wipe out the memories. Nor and Ked were unable to wipe out Kal-El's core of goodness and Lois proved that his first language was English. He wouldn't have had either of those if his memory was gone for good.

Bring on the next part. I can't wait for the conversation with Martha and Jonathan about Clark's special abilities.

"So, Clark, did any other powers manifest other than the invulnerability, speed, heat-vision and freezing breath?"

Lois and Clark share a look full of meaning. "Um, Mom and Dad, we have something to tell you..."
lol

I'll take another serving anytime you're ready.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I suppose that his attachment to his earthly family wouldn't compute to Kip, either, unless he explained that he had great care for his parents.
That raises an interesting point ...

Kal presumably had his translator installed after he arrived on NK. Was it possible that Kip couldn't understand a word he said, and vice versa? Remember, Lois couldn't understand Kal at first, even though he had a translator. She needed to have one installed first.

If so, then poor Clark not only was taken in the middle of the night, he was taken by someone who couldn't/didn't even tell him why he was being taken. How absolutely terrifying that must have been.

I'm trying to see things from Kip's perspective, and I know he felt times were desperate and NK's need was way more important than any one boy's family. But I have to agree with Michael -- it makes me sad that while Kip may have been a hero to New Krypton, he wasn't above drugging and kidnapping a boy in the middle of the night. And while he might not have thought of Kal's relationship with the people who raised him, he should have -- remember, children are precious and rare on NK. How would Kip have felt if Tek had been ripped from him and taken to Earth?

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
In order to keep Kip's character consistent, I'm going to assume that he had no way of communicating with Clark or the Kents. He didn't speak or write English, and they had no translators. In canon, Clark's globe had a translation ability, but we don't know that's the case in this story.

So maybe Kip did what he had to do, even though he knew how it would affect the Kents, because he had no choice. Maybe taking Clark in the middle of the night was his way of avoiding what could otherwise have been a tragic confrontation. I can imagine Jonathan using deadly force if a stranger tried to kidnap his son in broad daylight.

From Kip's point of view, Kip is the boy's legal guardian and the boy has a duty which, in NK thinking, is his by birth, not by choice. That Reset certainly was handy for NK, though. A 15-year-old Clark Kent with his memories intact would never have fit in on NK, let alone been such a faithful leader of his people--because they wouldn't have been his people.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Almost makes you wonder if Kip was complicit in Ked/Nor using the Reset on Clark. As you say, a 15 year old Clark Kent would have been no use on New Krypton. All Kip's work would have been for nothing, if not for the Reset. They needed him to be a blank slate, not just to brainwash him (Ked) but even to simply teach him (Kip).

Kathy

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks so much everyone for the FDK.

Sorry, I don't have time for individual replies.

(Have to get my son to school, last day of the school year, summer holidays tomorrow - whooo hooo!!!!)

I spent much of yesterday wrestling with part 41, being stubborn because I wanted a certain scene first and it just wasn't working.

Eventually I gave in, rearranged the whole thing, realised it was too big and clumped some of it into 40.

Therefore, 40 isn't ready yet. I have Chrismassy stuff to do today and tomorrow. I'll try to post it tonight - possibly 15 hours from now - but that will depend on how much writing time I get today.

Thanks for the response to 39. I knew it was a pivotal chapter and I'm SO glad you liked it.

Corrina.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It was good. It was WAFFy. And it answered a lot of questions.

But some questions remain to be answered. Whom did Lucy marry? Will Lois be able to get her job back at the Planet? How will her family react to her sudden reappearance? How will she explain said sudden reappearance? Will Kal want to go public as Clark now that he's back on Earth? Will he develop powers since he was exposed to the yellow sun, but then deprived of it for so many years? If so, will he choose to use them while wearing his shorts on the outside?

And a big question: Will Lois retain her powers, or will they fade away? (This assumes that her powers came from something in her changed body chemistry instead of from the local or solar conditions on New Krypton - maybe something she ate or drank.) If she keeps them, what will she do with them? If not, will she miss them and pine for them? If so, will that interfere with her relationship with Clark?

So many questions, so few chapters left to answer them. And although I haven't mentioned it, I really liked the way you set up Lois' return to Earth. It was believable and logical within the parameters you set up for your story. Well done.

Now if real life will just take a back seat for a couple of minutes...

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
so happy i cried.
well, teary-eyed anyway.

love australia - summer vacation would be awesome right now!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part and tying up the plot points.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
OK, a little more time now.

Bob So glad you liked it Bob. Thanks for your comments.

Elizabeth Next part is posted. Thanks for leaving FDK for this one.

lcfan

More about Kip coming.

More about time coming.

Thanks!

Laura

This was everything we all hoped for and more.
Phew! I knew this was a big chapter in the story and I'm so glad it didn't disappoint.

Kathy Thanks for your comments. It's so nice that you don't want it to end. (OTOH, I have other ideas calling and it will be nice to be able to respond to them.)

Thanks HappyGirl. This chapter needed to be good - I'm glad you think it did the fic justice.

Re Kip - we'll get to him.

Kathy The blue pills. Would you believe I didn't even think about using them?

Lois realizing immediately that they were in the Midwest somewhere
I assume this is realistic - that she would know by M&J's accents?

Thanks Kathy. This fic got some amazing FDK early on (which was wonderful), but made me think 'uh oh, what if the end doesn't live up to the beginning?'

I'm jump that you're all still with me and still enjoying.

Michael

About the memories. Given that the brain stores memories by linking synapses (IIRC), once the drug breaks those links, the memories are gone and not even super-healing can bring them back
Michael, I have no idea how Reset works. And even if I did, I probably wouldn't devote any time to it in the fic.

But I think we're seen enough that Kal getting his memories back is not impossible.

(Not is this universe, anyway wink )

The time issues - I have an explanation - you will get it - just not now.

Thanks, Michael.

Brenda Thanks, Brenda. Your FDK still reads like you've read my files. wink

Terry Wow, Terry, all those questions. I checked them as I read and I think there are answers for all of them. (I hope, anyway).

Thanks, Terry.

Sarah Thanks.

Yep, summer holidays are a great time.

Artemis Thanks. I'm hoping I get all the ends neatly tied.

Thanks everyone.

40 is posted.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I finally got around to reading this chapter (and I skipped the previous one, sorry), and I'm impressed. What I like most of all is what a clever take on the canon this fic is. In the show, Zara and Ching came to the Earth to bring the adult and soon-to-be married Clark Kent to New Krypton so that he could be the leader of their planet and marry Zara. Zara and Ching explained the situation to Clark and basically gave him a choice. In your fic, Rip apparently came to the Earth to kidnap fifteen-year-old Clark Kent, who had never met Lois Lane. And then Nor's father gave Clark amnesia, so that he wouldn't remember his background or his Earth parents and upbringing at all.

This would be a good way to prevent Clark from ever meeting Lois Lane. Ah, but there is an Arabic saying which goes something like this, "If Muhammed can't go to the mountain, then the mountain must go to Muhammed." So if Clark couldn't go to Metropolis to meet Lois, then Lois must go to New Krypton to meet Clark! It's a bit far-fetched that she would just sort of stumble on New Krypton like that, but maybe it's not more far-fetched than the idea of a mountain lumbering over the plains to keep its appointment with Muhammed... laugh

So this is a brilliant what-if fic where the main difference is that Clark got kidnapped to New Krypton at fifteen instead of being invited there at thirty. Bravo!

The only thing I still can't wrap my mind around is how Lois could have powers on Clark's planet but not on her own, while Clark has powers on Lois's planet but not on his own. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Ann

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks so much for your comments, Ann.

IIRC, Clark didn't have powers on New Krypton, so him having powers on Earth, but not on NK is canon.

I admit applying it to Lois, but opposite, is probably a stretch, but it worked for my fic.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard