Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
smile1 Comments are love.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww.... Sad and sweet all mixed in together.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Top Banana
Top Banana
the perfect vignette for this time of year when we mourn and remember so achingly those we've loved and will never see again.

carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
A poignant reminder of why earthly immortality is something devoutly *not* to be desired.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've always rejected the idea that Clark would have a significantly longer lifespan than a human -- after all, Dr. Klein was wrong about other things, including Clark's fertility, so there is no reason to think that this particular theory of his must be true -- but this is a well-written and haunting portrayal of such a future.

Poor Clark. This was his nightmare scenario in "Brutal Youth" and here it has played out to its extreme.

Kathy

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
In point of fact, we don't know that Klein was wrong about Clark's fertility - the identity and parentage of the baby in the last episode was left deliberately nebulous.

Traditionally in the DCU, Superman is assumed to be virtually immortal, or at least very long lived.

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
dizzy It did remind me of the Ancients, though. Or the First Ones. I guess, Lorien wasn't right after all. Eternal love is not really an illusion. On the other hand, who knows if both Clark *and* Lois had shared a life together for several billion years.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, what I was hoping to hint at with Ariella calling him by his first name instead of 'Grandfather' and Clark seeing Lois's smile in her face was that maybe, just maybe, Lois is still with him.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dandello - again, sad fic, but with a hint of hope and redemption. I'll be thinking about this fic late at night, I know - won't be able to get it out of my head.

Merriwether
Merriwether
In point of fact, we don't know that Klein was wrong about Clark's fertility - the identity and parentage of the baby in the last episode was left deliberately nebulous.
On the screen, yes. But one of the writers came on to IRC after the finale aired, as well as attended various L&C fan gatherings, and told us what the facts were for this particular universe -- the baby was a boy, and he was one of Lois and Clark's biological descendents from the future, thus providing proof that Dr. Klein was wrong about Clark being infertile. It's why Sam, in the finale, said "That's not right" when he studied Dr. Klein's data. All this was going to be revealed in the S5 opening arc, until ABC reneiged on their contract with WB after renewing the show, causing the "To Be Continued" which was originally captioned over the final scene to be removed just before the US air date.

Obviously there's always a case to be made for deleted scenes not being part of official canon, but the show's writers had never intended Dr. Klein to be correct about Clark's fertility.

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was an unlikely scenario since they had other lives together and their souls were never apart from one another. When they were time travelers stepped in to get them back on track. Which means Clark would have to die not far from Lois. Not only that, but they made a point of having him lose years by giving Jimmy some of his life force. So this could not have been in their world a logical conclusion. Lois would have had to been reborn somehow. Having said all that, this was a really interesting take on things, very much a nightmare existence for poor Clark. Well done though and very sad. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, there is always the possibility that although Clark turned out to be virtually immortal, Lois kept coming back to him.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard