OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
“I’m tired of feeling like I need someone to hold my hand,” he said bitterly.

“I know,” she replied, not knowing what to say. “I know it’s hard and it isn’t fair. I hate that this happened. I hate how awful it was. I can’t stop thinking about what we saw, either. But it doesn’t make you weak, Clark. It makes you human.”
It's ironic that Clark spent so much of his early adulthood yearning to be "normal" (whatever that means), and now that he's proven to be all too human he's disappointed in himself.

Your portrayal of Dr. Friskin reminds me of Susan Silverman in Robert B. Parker's "Spenser" series, from the Jewish heritage to the calm acceptance of her patients and the hurdles in their lives which she helps them to learn to overcome. She's the anchor in this epic tale, the place where both Clark and Lois can return and know that they'll be safe. Yours is the best characterization of Dr. Friskin I've read anywhere.

And thanks for the insight on Jimmy and Perry. I think they're both right. Jimmy thinks that his friends deserve their privacy, which they do. Perry thinks that the world deserves to know that the two heroes aren't gods, and he's right about that. It's not an easy high wire to walk, yet I believe that the picture should be published alongside the full explanation of why they look the way the do. They mustn't let the cheap tabloids monopolize the news process.

I wish you'd shared their conversation with Dr. Friskin, but that's just me. I'm sure we'll find out what they said later on. I just hope Clark realizes that Lois needed their private interlude just as much as he did. She wasn't performing for him, she was trying to wipe away the pain and suffering from both of them.

And Clark has to take one more very important step: he has to tell Lois about his dreams. Even if he thinks he's revealing how weak he is, he needs to tell her. As long as he keeps those things from her, he's not allowing her to walk with him "in sickness and in health." Man up and let down your defenses, Clark! Don't try to shield her. She saw what you saw in Indonesia and it was like Silban to you. She won't freak out and reject you as a man. She'll understand and love you even more because you survived all of that with your humanity intact.

Wonderful story, Rac. Every time I think you've reached the fullness of depth in these two, you uncover another level. Keep up the incredible work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm not able to muster much energy writing comments on LnC fics these days, and because of that I want to say that Terry's comment was beautiful. I particularly appreciate what he said about Dr Friskin, Jimmy and Perry. I, too, enjoyd being told that Dr. Friskin was Jewish. The fact that her religion is not the same as the religon of most Americans makes her just a little bit of an "observer" of her society rather than one that is "surrounded by it on all sides". Personally I believe that it helps you to discern things about the society you live in if you are able to "take a step back", as it were, and observe things from a distance.Dr. Friskin is very much a member of her society, and she is very much an American, but for all of that I think her Jewishness in an American land helps her to observe things more coolly. I loved the way she celebrates Christmas!

As for Jimmy and Perry and the argument about the picture, I personally agreed completely with Jimmy. I was horrified that the picture of Ultrawoman embracing Superman was taken at all, and like Jimmy, I hated that it would be published. But Terry is right: Perry had a point too, and he really needed to publish that picture.

I'm scared that Lois is pregnant now, after her and Clark's visit to the remote island. I very much doubt that they thought about protection when they sought to quell their despair by finding solace in mutual passion. And if Lois gets pregnant now, and Ultrawoman goes on sabbatical a few months after embracing Superman in public like that, I have to wonder if people will not figure out that the superheroine is pregnant with Superman's child. I wouldn't like that to happen, because I think that not only Lois and Clark deserve their privacy, but Superman and Ultrawoman do too. But maybe it is unavoidable that the romantic relationship between the two superheroes will become public knowledge. Ah, but how will Lois and Clark be able to protect their children from the paparazzi of the world?

Ann

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
These last two parts were amazing. I love how you tell the story from so many sides - Jimmy's, Perry's, Jonathan and Martha's, Dr. Friskin's - it's the same story, but all of those characters help to make it complete and robust.

Every new part of this story is amazing. Looking forward to more!

Amber

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Another part that had me smile and frown and clap And I'm completely with Ann on the drugstore issue. If the island-interlude isn't a huge billboard, I don't know what is. I guess Lois is going to fly in circles in less than a month, Clark is going to move into the Doc's office and eventually they will have to get the suit out for good.

Great part!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Another great part. I do not have a lot of time to write feedback. Just know I loved it and am anxiously awaiting the next part. Maybe Clark being Superman is a little like the band aid approach. It will bring new things to the surface and hopefully they can heal quicker.

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It will be interesting to see if Kathy is right and the band aid approach will help Clark. Also, I'm curious about the public reaction to Superman's return and his public display of vulnerability. Will it sway people away from him or will it endear him in their hearts. I'm hoping for the latter, especially with the EIC of the Daily Planet in his corner. smile

It may be that Clark will have no choice but to start writing about his experiences. If he wants to be able to explain why Superman can't come back to hero work full-time, he may need to explain a little about his war experiences. On Krypton, he really was just a normal man (meaning no super abilities), and therefore experienced all the same feelings as a human soldier would. I guess it could go either way -- people would understand that he's suffering due to his experiences and cut him some slack or they would fear him as unstable and unable to control his super powers.

More soon, please.
B

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Terry, I agree that there's more than a little irony in Clark's current thinking. I always thought his desire to be normal, while totally understandable, exposed a certain naivete. We all want to be something we're not. But in the end, everyone has to learn how to be the best "them" they can be. No matter what that is. Clark had to learn that lesson the hard way. I'm glad you like my interpretation of Dr. Friskin. She was a very minor character, but I always thought there were innumerable possibilities with her.

Hi Ann. Like you, I can totally see where Jimmy is coming from and why. But I think Perry is right. He can't unring the bell that picture represents and ignoring it won't help. Instead, he wants to put forward a bold counter-narrative. It's the best way he knows how to combat the lies and innuendo and gossip.

Thanks for your very kind comments, Amber. I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Hi Michael. Are you seeing billboards or smoke and mirrors? I'm not telling and you'll just have to wait and see to find out. wink Thanks for reading and commenting.

Kathy, I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Hi BJ. There are a lot of questions up in the air, especially about what Clark's going to do next. Never fear! More is coming up soon.

Thanks all!

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard