Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thoughts?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like how L & C are coming to grips with their experiences and that Clark seems to be doing better with his PTSD. The fact that now he can go to an emergency means that he's healing.

“Mr. Stevenson has owned that drugstore since I was a kid. I used to go there on Fridays when I got my allowance and drink chocolate milkshakes all afternoon.”

“You’re a married man, Clark. I’m pretty sure he knows you’re having sex,” Lois said archly.
Tee-hee! A nice break from the angst!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Rays of hope! Alright! Good part. And they are talking about another child. Very good progress.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have no idea whether Clark's appearance as Superman was an indication that he's healing or whether it'll be a major setback, but I was very moved by their Thanksgiving meal, Lois and Clark's interaction and the description of the devastation (with emphasis on how they worked together and comforted each other).

“You know what turkey does to me,” he whispered in her ear as he stepped behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. She felt a delightful shiver make its way down her spine. The bedroom door closed with a soft ‘click’ behind them.

“Turkey? I thought it was pasta.” She tilted her head, giving him better access as his lips trailed down her neck.

“Whatever,” he murmured against her skin.

She suppressed a sigh, wondering why it was that she was expected to think clearly when he was doing such wonderful things to her. “Well nothing’s gonna happen unless one of us goes to the drugstore.”

“Again?” he asked, his tone surprised.
Loved that Clark changed the aphrodisiac from pasta to turkey! Oh, and I remember Lois ruminating that they didn't get a chance to be newlyweds, but Clark's surprise at needing to visit the drugstore again tells me that they're doing their best to make up for lost time laugh
He captured her hand and raised it to his lips. “I love that you don’t color inside the lines. I love that you draw your own lines.”
thumbsup Loved this line. That's Lois Lane, in a nutshell.

And the ending made mecry
For Jon's sake, though, I'm glad they haven't missed Christmas Eve or Christmas day. I'd hate for Clark to miss another "first" with his son.

Random speculation: It'd be interesting to know a little more about Jon and whether he suspects his super heritage, what with Lois, and now Clark, being gone so often. Then again, at four years old, a simple "they're working" would be enough. Thank goodness Martha and Jonathan are still around to provide a stable environment and routine.

More soon, please.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm very glad that Lois brought up the prospect of having another child, and also she told Clark what a pregnancy would do to Ultrawoman - she'd be on the sidelines for several months. If (and when?) that happens, Clark will have to return to super duty for good. I'm glad that Clark decided he had to get Superman going again in this very chapter. Something tells me that it may not be all that long until Clark's superpowered "other identity" will be needed again.

Sorry for the short FDK, but RL is being a beast. I was very glad to see this chapter, however, and hope for part 23 soon!

(By the way - I, too, loved the Thanksgiving dinner, although because I'm a Swede this particular holiday has never been a part of my life, since Thanksgiving is not a Swedish tradition.)

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November is a very American tradition, Ann, although many other countries have a traditional celebration or even a holiday called the same or something similar.

I, too, enjoyed the meal scene. It was a pleasant and touching time, reminding us that while life isn't all roses and champagne, neither is it all angst and conflict. Clark's declaration that he missed not just Lois but his entire family was wonderful and just what was needed.

The floods and mudslides weren't needed, at least not needed for the Lane-Kent family's peace of mind. But Clark functioning as Superman and seeing people who were grateful that he was there to help will be good for him in the long run. I don't doubt but that there will be an immediate backlash - I don't think he'll be able to put all that suffering and death aside on a moment's notice even for Christmas with the family - but when he gets some time to reflect, he'll realize that while he can't save everyone, he can and should save some.

It's also a good thing that Lois didn't have a chance to stop and talk to Clark for a while. It might have gone like this:

"How are you doing, honey?"

"Holding on by one fingernail and trying not to freak out, thanks for reminding me!"
Glad that didn't happen. And if Lois will weep into Clark's shoulder for the same reason he's weeping into hers, they'll both understand that he's not a mental basket case. He's not all the way back, of course, but he's doing better than anyone has a real right to expect - Clark included. I hope Dr. Friskin can help him to see that.

More soon, Rac! This is such an excellent journey into the hearts and minds of our favorite super-couple.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“Well nothing’s gonna happen unless one of us goes to the drugstore.”

“Again?” he asked, his tone surprised.

“Uh huh,” she said, turning around in his arms.
They should by the family-pack :p

Rac, that was a great installment, it had a bit of everything smile I, too, wonder how Clark is going to deal with the whole Superman-out-there thing and in this story everything can happen, but I do expect it do have downside to it. It would be way too easy for what I'm used to in this story thumbsup

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Absolutely wonderful chapter. Although (like others have already said) there will probably be a reaction/backlash, it was good to see Clark moving forward.

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, folks. I'm glad that the more lighthearted interludes in this section helped leaven the tense atmosphere.

IolantheAlias, thanks for your comments. Clark and Lois are certainly working to come to grips with their experiences, but I'm worried that Clark's response to the tsunami is less a testament to his healing than his realization that this crisis was so catastrophic that he couldn't *not* help, his own psychological health be damned.

Hi Artemis, I'm glad you liked this part. I agree that there's progress and even rays of hope (let's hope that light in the tunnel isn't a train wink )

BJ, glad you liked the Thanksgiving scene. Lois and Clark certainly do seem to be making up for lost time, but I can't really blame them. As to Jon, I figure he's still young enough to not think much about the issue of his parents' disappearances beyond the fact that he misses them and wishes they were around more.

Hi Ann. I agree that their discussion about having another child was both necessary and helpful for their relationship. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's a wonderful opportunity to spend time with family and friends and reflect on all the things in life we have to be thankful for. Also, I've always had a blast cooking everything from scratch with my guests and then getting stuffed, watching football, and playing video games, and then eating some more. wink

Thanks for your comments, Terry. I agree this tsunami is pretty much the last thing Lois and Clark need. However, as cruel a teacher as experience can be, it is showing Clark that there is still so much good he can do.

Thanks for your comments, Michael. Maybe I'm going to make everything turn out rainbows and puppies, but then again...maybe not. wink

Cookiesmom, thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed this section.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard