Columnist
R
Thoughts?

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

Clark's a lunkhead through and through. But not because it's part of his character. It's because of what he's been through. There was no justification for what he put Lois through when he blew up at her, but at least they both understand that it came from his insecurities and his own pain. Now that it's out in the open, they can work on it.

And I'm glad that Dr. Friskin knows about Nor, about how Clark tried to murder him but really didn't, about how he killed Nor in self-defense, and I'm glad she pointed out that Clark could not possibly have predicted that Nor and his followers would take almost seven hundred more lives - not to mention those who were wounded and/or maimed - and that those deaths cannot be counted against him.

I wonder if Lois will be reassured when she learns that Talan was the one who held Clark back from killing Nor? Just a random thought.

And those last few paragraphs concern me. Is that foreshadowing I see? Can you smell what the Rac is cooking?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wow indeed.

Clark asked Lois to depend on him and accused her of failing him by not doing precisely that. But then he realized that he was in such bad mental state that he couldn't really be depended on.

Wow. But he realized it. And he's working on the problem. Unlike Terry, I thought the last few paragraphs were beautiful. Clark was gentle and caring before he left for his session with Dr. Friskin. He gently touched her cheek and squeezed her hand. Those are not gestures of a man who resents his wife more than he loves her. They are not the gestures of a man who resents his wife because she's making him see a shrink.

And Clark understands, too, at least intellectually, that he couldn't have saved New Krypton by killing Nor when Nor was defenceless. He might possibly have saved those six hundred colonists, but at the price of not honoring what was good and right about New Krypton as a society.

I would like to say more, but I have absolutely no time for that now!

Ann

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Double Wow.

I agree with previous comments - Nor, Dr Friskin, the fight. You wrote their fight so well and believable. They have come a long way though. There discussion after the fight shows that

I do wonder with the last paragraph is whether Lois is already pregnant

Keep it coming

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com

robinson
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann wrote:

Unlike Terry, I thought the last few paragraphs were beautiful.
Didn't say they weren't beautiful. They were. But, like Robinson, I wonder if that's not a setup to hint that Lois is pregnant, and that is the source of my foreboding. Given the sudden mood swings they're both experiencing and the rapid onset of passion so endemic to a damaged relationship, it's possible. I don't think it would be the best thing for them either, but then I'm not writing this masterpiece. I would've messed it up by now.

Next chapter? Soon, maybe?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Pregnancy! Lois might be pregnant! <slaps head>

Well, if she is pregnant, that is going to throw Ultrawoman a curveball. The way I see it, Ultrawoman can't let the world know that she is going to have a baby. Imagine the speculation about Ultrawoman's love life, and worse, imagine the specualtion about the baby. The baby would be born into a world of salivating paparazzi who would be ready to kill to snap a picture of the infant and generally find out everything about him or her. Imagine if Clark had grown up like that, with reporters lying in wait for him behind every corner, and the whole world knowing about his powers-to-be before they even manisfested themselves.

So no, Ultrawoman can't let the world know that she is pregnant, and since that tight-fitting suit reveals everything, Ultrawoman is going to have to take a break until the baby is born. But someone will still have to look after the world. Who will that be? Who but Clark? He might be forced to be Superman again sooner than he expected.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois has already had one baby while she was Ultrawoman, so she knows the drill. Superman would be *forced* to come back.
Great part, Rac. More soon.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Rac!

I sort of wondered if Lois went off somewhere to brood after the clean-up. And I did not see the fight coming. But it feels more... healthy, the way they have blown up at each other. Clark isn't afraid to lash out or hurt anyone when he vents and Lois isn't protecting him. I'm saying they should fight all the time, of course, but it does help clear the air and they sure did settle in a new, better routine afterward. Not that Lois just going home and waiting for Clark didn't help in that department, too wink

The last paragraph most certainly looks like a huge billboard, announcing a little brother or sister already occupying prime real estate, in a fictional context. Only question left is, will you go down the obvious road for once, or is it just another case of smoke and mirrors.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving (all my fellow Americans).

Terry, thanks for your great feedback (nice pun goofy ). I agree that Clark is acting like a dolt, but it isn't exactly his fault. I also agree that as unpleasant as it was, it was a necessary fight for them to have. Clark has hesitated to vocalize it, but he has felt like he can't compete with his wife. He has to figure out he doesn't have to. As to the last few paragraphs, you'll have to wait and see if I'm foreshadowing or just yanking your chain. wink

Ann, I think you're right; despite their argument, Clark's actions speak to how much he loves his wife and how much he needs her. Intellectually, he has to understand that he couldn't save New Krypton by destroying what was good about New Krypton. Let's see whether he can translate that cerebral acknowledgment into a deep and sustainable understanding.

Hi Kathy. I'll post more soon, so we can see if you're right about that last point...

Artemis, you're right that another baby would certainly give Clark a hard shove back into the red and blue suit. Thanks for your comments. wink

Thanks for your comments, Michael. I agree that fighting, no matter how unpleasant, is still better than bottling up everything. Am I telegraphing my punches on that last section? Wait and see...

Thanks again everyone! More is coming soon!

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard