Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This part took a lot of techie digging, but sets up the story. More to come soon now that I'm back from my vacation.
cheers
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm slow to get the symbolism, but the "Nighttime in the Daytime" is the total eclipse?

What else will the title come to mean?

Top Banana
Top Banana
Artemis is back! clap

Nightfall is on the way, and Pete has to be the one to tell Clark because there is no Superman for the authorities to summon.

I love this AU you've invented, Artemis, and I'll be reading to see what you've got up your sleeve for Lois and Clark and their families.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I confess I didn't read the first one--I've known a few FBI agents and somehow Clark as an agent made him less likable to me--but now I'll have to go back and read it, because this was a really intriguing beginning. And I love the symbolism of the title.

And I liked all the little details about KU.

Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
/me rubs hands. Ohhh feedback.
Yes, Iolanthe. Nighttime in the Daytime is the total eclipse. There was a long discussion thread not too long ago about how the LnC episode "All Shook Up" didn't really portray the eclipse realistically. So I set out to do a realistic eclipse. As to what else it will mean, I don't know yet. A nightmare for Clark, maybe?
And I just found out you started it! I'd forgotten. Nightfall Asteroid

Thanks Happy Girl. I'm glad you are enjoying my little world.

cookiesmom Clark is not your typical FBI agent. He really wants to help people and is finding his way in life. This Clark is also younger than LnC Clark. There's more details about KU in "All the Daytime and the Nighttime." Hopefully, that will be up on the Archive in a short time. It's in GE now. It's a bit enhanced from the version posted here.

Another thing to ponder is that Clark graduated from Smallville High in 1994 and became a Freshman at KU in 1997. What did he do for those three years?

I'm getting my Kansas info from Hubby, who was born in Lawrence. (Plus the internet).
Glad you are enjoying. Posting will be weekly until life settles down more.
cool
Artemis

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This was a really great setup! All of the background info you provided about the eclipse definitely set the scene. I can't wait to learn more about Clark's background.

Looking forward to more!

Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Iolanthe. Nighttime in the Daytime is the total eclipse. There was a long discussion thread not too long ago about how the LnC episode "All Shook Up" didn't really portray the eclipse realistically. So I set out to do a realistic eclipse. As to what else it will mean, I don't know yet. A nightmare for Clark, maybe?
And I just found out you started it! I'd forgotten.
Thank you. But I must bow before the master. notworthy

I'm really impressed by the photos and diagrams you've put in the post, because they help me understand some of the orbital mechanics. My astronomical knowledge is limited to the facts in the popular press. So, the fact that you are doing a Nightfall story which will have (I'm assuming) rigorous science behind it, is extremely interesting to me. And I'm sure I'll learn a lot!

BTW, did you pick the eclipse of September 2003 because it happened over Antarctica (a pretty-much-uninhabited continent) or because that was the closest one in time to the events of your story?

And also BTW, aren't there solar eclipses quite often? It just seems that a lot of the time they're over the ocean or somewhere where it's not easy for people to see them.

(I should really look this up myself, but I'm lazy.) wink

Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, amberlea. There's more background stuff I figured out but haven't put anywhere yet.
To Iolanthe: Hee hee. I was very lucky. This eclipse happened in 2003 and it was the only *total* eclipse that year on the Earth anywhere. The total part was important, otherwise it is not really nighttime! And it pretty much happened where not many people could see it. The artwork is NASA's and the quotes from EPRAD and the science journal are NASA's too. The Antarctic stuff is from Australia's site for Davis Station. I did do a lot of planning for Clark to get Pete in Kansas and fly him to Australia, (Margaret River is south of Perth in WA), which is the direct route to Davis Station.
I've also recalculated the physical characteristics of the Nightfall asteroid that will threaten Metropolis. That's coming up in the next part. The planning for this has been quite extensive, but it's just me and my little calculator doing the math.
cool
Artemis

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, so what do we have here...

Pete is an eclipse-nut? After all, why else chase a solar eclipse to the South Pole.

“Well, you could go faster, because it protected me,” Pete teased back.
clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks Michael. You got some of the hints. Well, Pete's an Associate Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at KU, so by definition he's an eclipse nut. He probably did those calculations for the path of totality for EPRAD. wink
That fact is so important I added it to part 1. So it is revised now.
Ah, yes, Rita can sew. And parents Sarah and Roger Ross don't know what Clark can do.
Glad you are enjoying it!
cool
Artemis

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
you're back, this story is back...la la la la
so happy!

Artemis Offline OP