T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Lynn

Thank you for writing the epilogue. smile1
It's just as fabulous as the rest of the story.

Clark and Mayson's conversation is excellent. Your characterizations are superb. clap

Tricia cool

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<happy, waffy sigh> This was wonderful, Lynn. I wasn't really fussed either way if you tied up those loose ends. I kind of liked the way you left it with the promise of what was to come. But I certainly won't object to this!

This was beautifully poignant - you made me feel sorry for Mayson all over again with that awkward, embarrassing scene between them. And then there was waffy in the final scene. Superb!

Thank you. This was a wonderfully enjoyable addition to my morning trawl through the boards.

Just one small thing:

They’d already said all that needed to be said. He’d dropped her at her apartment, giving her one last apologetic smile before she had turned and bolted up the steps. Long after the door had shut behind her, he had sat in the Cherokee, staring ahead at his hands grasping the steering wheel tightly. And it was an odd mixture of guilt, regret and relief that filled him when he took off back for the cabin, flying high above the clouds.
I might have missed something along the way - apologies if so - but this confused me a little. I didn't understand what he was doing here. Since he'd had to use the jeep to drive Mayson back to Metropolis anyway, why didn't he just drive it back again to the cabin as Clark? Why leave it there and fly back as Superman?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was beautiful! Thank you for posting this. I was perfectly happy with the story as you wrote it, so this epilogue is the icing on the cake!!

Labrat asks why Clark flew back. Now that I think about it, when I was reading Part 3 I remember I wondered the same thing. The jeep belongs to Lois. Taking it without her permission in order to drive Mayson back is pretty presumptuous. Allowing Mayson to drive back alone (which I know he didn't do, but it's what Lois thinks he did), would be unforgiveably audacious! If I were Lois (who is already in a bad mood), my reaction to that would have been, well, let's just say it's a good thing Clark is really Superman!

Of course, if Clark *had* driven back, then we wouldn't have them stranded there. Unless, of course, a convenient blizzard should just happen to strike... evil

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
Kerth
clap clap

Ohhh, is he going to fly both to Metropolis? evil

Jose peep

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Mayson took it well, I am very sorry for her. Yet, I am a little surprised that she didn't ask if "the right woman" is Lois.

This is an enchanting story and well written, too. Only I find it hard to believe that Clark is such a lunkhead that he can really believe that he could make love to another woman when Lois is so near.

Gabriele
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a lovely surprise and a great way to start my day!

Nice scene with Mayson..sooo awkward, I was sad for her frown Clark just tried to be the nice guy but he really messed this up in my opinion.

Then we had Lois' deductive reasoning 101..lol, very funny...
“Clark, I know what I feel,” she retorted, her voice growing louder. “It’s love. Yeah, there’s a whole lot of lust in there, too. But I’m pretty sure it’s love.”
We know what you mean girlfriend!! drool

Nice way to wrap it up..altho I wouldn't be adverse to a Part 2! wink hint, hint.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Just read Part 3 and the epilogue and both were absolutely wonderful. You manged to write poignantly and wittily at the same time. I chuckled :p and cried drool Poor Mayson.

Lucky Lois and Clark. I would have been happy with Part 3, but thank you for the epilogue.

gerry

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey everyone -

All right, LabRat. You caught me!!

Just one small thing:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They’d already said all that needed to be said. He’d dropped her at her apartment, giving her one last apologetic smile before she had turned and bolted up the steps. Long after the door had shut behind her, he had sat in the Cherokee, staring ahead at his hands grasping the steering wheel tightly. And it was an odd mixture of guilt, regret and relief that filled him when he took off back for the cabin, flying high above the clouds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might have missed something along the way - apologies if so - but this confused me a little. I didn't understand what he was doing here. Since he'd had to use the jeep to drive Mayson back to Metropolis anyway, why didn't he just drive it back again to the cabin as Clark? Why leave it there and fly back as Superman?
I admit that my primary reason for having Clark drive Mayson home but leaving the Jeep in Metropolis was a plot device - I needed to get Lois and Clark alone in that cabin without any means of leaving. Also, I didn't want him to admit that he drove Mayson home because I wanted to build the tension about whether or not he slept with Mayson, and admitting to Lois that he drove Mayson home would cue her that something bad must have happened. And if Clark admitted to Lois that he drove Mayson home, he would have had to drive back, (unless he told her that Superman gave him a lift, but why bother) taking away the stranded-at-the-cabin thing.

But in defense of my justification in doing this, I used the following assumptions about Clark
1. That he is too nice of a guy to let Mayson drive home alone
2. That he is too practical of a guy to drive back to the cabin (2 hour drive) when he assumes that Dan will be arriving at some point to take Lois home
3. That Clark would worry about Lois until he knew that Dan had arrived, so he might be motivated to take a quick flight up to check on her.

As for the very reasonble objections about Clark letting Mayson drive off in Lois's Jeep (which is very presumptious on his part!), it's another reason I had him drive her home. He's driven the Jeep before so it seemed a little more plausible that he'd help himself if the situation warranted it.

So all of this stuff aside, it is very clear that I need to work on explaining this stuff a bit better in the story. I may add a paragraph in the Epilogue that speaks to his thoughts/actions that will hopefully satisfy the very valid points raised by all of you perceptive readers! At least well enough so that you can't drive a truck through the hole (maybe only a little motor scooter of suspended disbelief!)

Thanks all for reading and offering your good points.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey Lynn,

Excellent story!!!!!! I've loved every word that you have written. Thank you for such a wonderful story, and the epilogue, also excellent, was written so quickly!!! I'm in awe! eek

Another possible solution to your car dilemma -- could it be possible to have had them take Mayson's car up there? Clark could then assume that Dan would drive them back. Clark could still drive her home and fly back to the cabin.

That would also solve the ethics of having Clark let Mayson use Lois' Jeep.

More soon!!

Missy (who is hoping for that additional little scene in the other forum smile )

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Lynn, thank you! And WOW!! thumbsup This is just what I was looking for.

The scene with Mayson and Clark is so perfectly embarrassing. wink Poor Clark! And, of course, he had to be honest when Mayson asked if she was the right person, and if she would have been the right person had someone else not been in the way. Just great!

And Lois had the courage to tell Clark how she felt. Yay for Lois! And again, I could just picture her saying it. Wonderful!! clap

As far as Clark's explanation for leaving the Jeep goes, I think the way Vicki (was it Vicki?) put it works for me - he just needed some space and fresh air and the liberation of flying after having been cooped up awkwardly with Mayson for a couple of hours. As for explaining it to Lois - well, of course Clark could easily have flown back to Metropolis and picked up the Jeep at any time during the day and Lois would never have known, so we might ask why he told her it was missing.

So how about Lois noticing it was missing? You'd have to make a minor change to Part 3 for that, but if she notices it's missing then that blows his plan to fly back to Metropolis and pick it up (he might have been planning to fly above cloud cover with the Jeep, so it wouldn't have taken him two hours to bring it back. But if Lois notices, maybe he has no option but to tell her that Mayson took it (and pretend that he didn't go with her).

Anyway, I have really, really enjoyed this story, and - like Save Me, Superman - it's going straight to my Kerth list. Can't wait for your next story! wildguy wildguy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think the way Vicki (was it Vicki?) put it works for me - he just needed some space and fresh air and the liberation of flying after having been cooped up awkwardly with Mayson for a couple of hours.
I believe that was CC. (Just giving credit where credit's due.) BTW, it works for me, too!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok I am satisfied now<g> That was much better for me. Very nice in fact. OK there is still the Superman thing between them. My Question is will Clark do it first and then tell her he is Superman. Will he give her a choice, like he usually does? Or will he tell her after the deed. Ah The Deed? will that be something you write for the nfanfic section? Anyway It is much better with the wrap up. I hope you write more soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I admit that my primary reason for having Clark drive Mayson home but leaving the Jeep in Metropolis was a plot device - I needed to get Lois and Clark alone in that cabin without any means of leaving.
LOL, Lynn. Yeah, I figured that was the author's reason for doing it. laugh As for what Clark's was, I like any of the explanations given here and there on this thread and the others. I like CC's a lot too! They all make sense.

Don't think it would take much to pin down though - along the lines you outline in your post, couple of paras of introspection, works for me!!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Lynn,

I'm speechless! This story was a masterpiece. Beautiful! clap clap

Write more. And know that someone out there gets very happy when seeing stories that mention 'lynnm' as the poster. smile
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Ok, I haven’t posted on the boards for ages, I’ve kind of fell back into lurkdom but I’m still always reading the boards and fanfic and just had to comment on this story, because it was fabulous!
The setting was perfect and the passion and tension and pure waffyness of the whole thing was really beautiful. I loved it! Can’t wait for the possible sequel with the whole revelation and a great nfic scene! wink

Thankyou for such a wonderful Lois and Clark love story. smile

Sarah-Jayne smile

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve - Still Me

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard