#66519 10/01/09 01:45 PM
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Comments?

I'm not sure if I'll be online this weekend, but will respond to feedback if I am.

#66520 10/01/09 03:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hah! Hah! Take that, Paul! (*skewered*)

It's great to see Paul get his comeuppance. It's long deserved. I hope that Lois goes the very next morning and tells Prof. Matthews about Paul's actions. What a slimeball.

I also like that Clark and Maddie can still be friendly to each other even after a breakup. Those can lead to awkwardness in the future. I guess underneath they are both genuinely good people, so they're handling this well.

Can't wait to find out what's going to happen with the drug sotry and the kids on drugs - will Clark be able to make a difference in their lives? It's less flashy than Superman rescues will be, but no less important to the futures of those kids.

#66521 10/02/09 04:39 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Nothing better than peer justice! And nothing less than Paul deserved.

Looking forward to see where this is going!

Clark needs to tell Lois...

Amber

#66522 10/03/09 11:23 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part. I hope it works out ok with Clark's photos. Another story in the Daily Planet?

Loved the confrontation with Paul. Well done.

Like the Alica Lois Maddie interaction both with Clark and Paul.

So hopefully Clark will tell Lois the truth. I doubt it. You have young Clark less sure of himself than Canon Clark who never did get up the nerve to tell Lois.

So are drug dealers going to gun Clark down in front of Lois?

A quick driveby where he and Lois are both shot and he can't hide from Lois because he needs to get her to the nearest ED with a trauma unit?

Framework4
#66523 10/03/09 03:03 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
The confrontation with Paul looks like a victory for everyone concerned, but it's not. Paul is the type of person who comes up behind his victims and strikes when the victim isn't looking. Lois had better watch her back, along with Clark and Josh. Paul won't take this lying down.

And when will Clark tell Lois the truth? I think he's already closer to it than he ever was with Maddie, but until he actually says the words we won't know.

As interesting as I find Clark's college years, I'm not sure the narrative thread will stretch out over a four-year span. I feel as if a little of the tension has been dissipated by now, and re-reading Clark's internal struggles over the Boy in Black versus his relationship with Lois versus his academic career versus his investigations will become a bit stale soon. I think it's time to introduce something dramatic into the storyline.

Of course, you've probably already got something waiting in the wings that will wow us. I can't wait to see what it is. Maybe Paul with a surprise for Lois?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#66524 10/03/09 11:49 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great update smile1

Nancy, the photos were the obvious next step - not that I saw it coming, but I did get the impression that Clark took them while he was hovering. Wonder how he's going to explain that. And if he is already wise enough to make sure he gets the scoop instead of just the chance to write a report on the Planet's latest frontpage story.

Maddie seemed hurt, hope that won't turn messy. That, and the party-sounds had me worried, too dizzy

Nice to see Lois put another one on Paul. But that is going to backfire. Somehow. It has to. After all, that's the rule of fiction, isn't it?

Michael, not really sure why he's expecting more of a mess than funny happiness huh

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#66525 10/04/09 04:39 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I noticed that the pov would be off in the photos, as well. I was hoping it wouldn't serve to be Clark's undoing.

Elisabeth

#66526 10/05/09 05:46 PM
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
great part! very interested to see where lois/clark is going - hoping they stay together, learn together....looking forward to more!

#66527 10/06/09 04:46 PM
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Thanks, all, for the all the comments!

IolantheAlias - Thanks! You know, originally, I just needed a way to kick Lois into gear, but I have to admit to being pleased when this appeared on my computer screen as it was nice to both get Lois back on track and see Paul squirm.

And you picked up on exactly what I wanted with the Clark-Maddie thing. There's no question it was going to be awkward, but they are both good people who sincerely care about each other, so I wanted them to be friends.

Awhile back (probably when I wrote Clark and Maddie's break-up), Carol asked if I would write a sequel where Clark and Maddie bump into each other as adults. She wanted more closure to the relationship, perhaps to see that Maddie would have accepted Clark's "super" gifts (which in my mind she would have if he ever told her). I didn't think anyone would have any interest in that sort of story, so wanted to show some of that in this story. This scene is my attempt at that.

amberlea - Well, I would agree sort of that Clark needs to tell Lois if he wants the relationship to work, but it feels too soon to me - even if Clark wasn't afraid of his own shadow.

Patrick - As always, your ideas of where I'm going are great! You always make me wish I'd decided to go another way.

Thanks for the comment on the Alicia/Lois/Maddie thing. I struggled with that a lot. I wanted to stay true to Alicia's character, which is a bit more complex than the other non-Lois and Clark characters. And I saw her giving Clark a hard time, but I didn't want it to destroy their relationship completely. So, this scene worked well for getting that across since Paul's presence demanded she let up on Clark. Still, I worried that it wouldn't ring true.

Terry - I'm not sure if Clark is closer to telling Lois the truth than he ever was Maddie. In some ways he is - mainly the fact that because of what happened with Maddie, he is considering it sooner, but in other ways not. He's less interested in Lois right now than he was Maddie (or at least, in his mind this is the case). And that makes him less likely to tell Lois.

Just to set expectations, while I haven't figured out how much more this story has to go (I had originally estimated 25 chapters, but I'm still writing chapter 42 and am amazed by how much left there is to tell), I never intended it to cover the entirety of Clark's college years. Unless something changes, I expect this to end around the end of LnC's freshman year of college. We won't even see Clark's summer - although we will know if it's spent in Metropolis at the Planet or in Smallville.

Michael - You know, I did consider the issue of the camera angle with Clark's photos as you are correct - he took them while hovering. But I've mostly disregarded it. I've been playing a lot with camera angles lately - taking pictures of a mainly horizontal baby - and discovering that depending on how you hold the camera and rotate the print, you can change how the angle actually appears. So, I think Clark will have considered this and made sure his pictures aren't from directly overhead and be able to pass them off as being from a building nearby where he was a couple of floors up or something.

Elisabeth - See above. It won't.

Sarah - Thanks!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard